Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

crispix posted:

I know, I just meant it's 20 years ago to the day tomorrow. I am getting to that age where I comment wistfully on how long ago things were, I suppose. Anyway I can remember watching it on Sundays because I thought it was a kids' programme.

Here, have a sketch from it that was unaired until today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
My mother really, I mean REALLY, loved Downton Abbey, and she's got quite the affection for Call the Midwife; we caught an episode of Victoria a few weeks ago on Masterpiece Theatre and she didn't seem that keen on it but it was one of those mid-season episodes and she was distracted by us talking about inane stuff. Basically, does anyone think it might be worth checking out in its totality so far - I've seen some of Downton Abbey and it does look interesting, but she's seen it all and Call the Midwife doesn't seem my cup of tea, and it might be cool to see an awesome historical piece together with her. Anyways, does anyone think it stacks up to these programmes I'm vaguely familiar with or should I wait for the next great historical drama (or maybe there are others that have been released in the US I could find).

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 18, 2018

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Abandoned Toaster posted:

My mother really, I mean REALLY, loved Downton Abbey, and she's got quite the affection for Call the Midwife; we caught an episode of Victoria a few weeks ago on Masterpiece Theatre and she didn't seem that keen on it but it was one of those mid-season episodes and she was distracted by us talking about inane stuff. Basically, does anyone think it might be worth checking out in its totality so far - I've seen some of Downton Abbey and it does look interesting, but she's seen it all and Call the Midwife doesn't seem my cup of tea, and it might be cool to see an awesome historical piece together with her. Anyways, does anyone think it stacks up to these programmes I'm vaguely familiar with or should I wait for the next great historical drama (or maybe there are others that have been released in the US I could find).

Try The Crown, if you have Netflix and haven't seen it. Bit more modern of course, but well made and I would imagine it ticks the boxes you're looking for. It's on DVD/Bluray too, but for the price of one series, you'd probably get a firestick or something and a month or two's subscription, giving you 2 series.

I've only seen the first series, so can't comment on the second, but (I think) in the next series they're changing the actors to older ones, so I assume there's going to be a big enough jump in time.

Parade's End was pretty good too, if I remember right. Not as light as the ones you've mentioned, but a really good show and with amazing acting. It's on the Amazon and HBO streaming services.

edit: Mr Selfridge is another one. I haven't seen it and remember this thread not really liking it too much (I think) and I didn't really like the look of it, but I know my parents liked it and they loved the ones mentioned in your post. It appears to be on the Amazon streaming service, too.

In case you don't know the site, Just Watch is great for checking where shows are streaming. You can check other countries aswell, if you use a VPN.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 18, 2018

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I would say Victoria fills that Downton Abbey hole fairly well, yes.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Mickolution posted:

Try The Crown, if you have Netflix and haven't seen it. Bit more modern of course, but well made and I would imagine it ticks the boxes you're looking for. It's on DVD/Bluray too, but for the price of one series, you'd probably get a firestick or something and a month or two's subscription, giving you 2 series.

I've only seen the first series, so can't comment on the second, but (I think) in the next series they're changing the actors to older ones, so I assume there's going to be a big enough jump in time.

Parade's End was pretty good too, if I remember right. Not as light as the ones you've mentioned, but a really good show and with amazing acting. It's on the Amazon and HBO streaming services.

edit: Mr Selfridge is another one. I haven't seen it and remember this thread not really liking it too much (I think) and I didn't really like the look of it, but I know my parents liked it and they loved the ones mentioned in your post. It appears to be on the Amazon streaming service, too.

In case you don't know the site, Just Watch is great for checking where shows are streaming. You can check other countries aswell, if you use a VPN.

Mickolution posted:

Mickolution posted:

Mickolution posted:

Mickolution posted:

Well she does prefer the DVDs from the library because of whatever reason, but I'll see if she can stomach a few episodes of "Victoria", thank you, goons. I probably wanted this affirmation more for myself than her because 1900s England was pretty volatile.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I watched a few bits and pieces of that Victoria because it happened to be on at tea time on Sundays and it seemed pretty darn naff. What kept me watching were the various attempts at German accents :laugh:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd rather watch Ripper Street. You have the whole 19th century and they pick the loving monarchy to focus on. Bah. At least make them the background noise to the crazy weird rear end political stuff that is a fantastic weird alternate mirror to our own modern dumb politics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hoping Victoria will become worthwhile wen it gets to Gladstone v Disraeli: Dawn of Tariff Reform.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It should have started with the Duke of Wellington being called a wanker in the street as he buys new windows. That is the tone I want with my period dramas.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

My parents love Downtown Abbey and prefer The Crown to Victoria. I found it difficult to watch The Crown. So many stuffy old man characters that I couldn't follow it. I'd watch a Princess Margaret spin-off though. They also love Call the Midwife and enjoy Land Girls on Netflix. As well as a Spanish show called Cable Girls, which bizarrely has been badly dubbed into English, but you can turn this off and watch it with subtitles.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm genuinely amazed Noel Edmonds didn't throw his hat into the UKIP leadership ring. He seems like the sort who'd be the UK version of Donald Trump.

I think he's the wrong sort of crazy to pull it off. Too "new agey"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope the Edmonds and Partridge feud escalates in the coming new show.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is Edmonds even sufficiently racist to meet the requirements?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He did exploit a race of pink and yellow fat people with skin conditions in the nineties.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

Is Edmonds even sufficiently racist to meet the requirements?

He tweeted that maybe Britain is too full because there was a traffic jam. He's a shoe in for UKIP.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think he wouldn't do a political party thing about it though, he'd just think numbers at the foreign people and hope that would send them away.

Still, Noel Edmonds gave the world Mr. Blobby and I will always appreciate that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is appreciate the right word?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I dunno, but Mr. Blobby has always made me laugh. He's dumb in that way that just gets to me.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
If Noel Edmonds wasn’t such an rear end in a top hat he’d probably be collecting a big fat cheque to bring back Noel’s House Party. Nostalgic TV always does well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mr Blobby is a glorious representation of a simpler time when Freddos cost 10p, nobody knew the heartache of Take That breaking up and you didn't realise all your favourite TV stars were nonces.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Taear posted:

Here, have a sketch from it that was unaired until today!

I love Rod Hull. Glad he didn't turn out to be one of the bad ones.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SEX BURRITO posted:

If Noel Edmonds wasn’t such an rear end in a top hat he’d probably be collecting a big fat cheque to bring back Noel’s House Party. Nostalgic TV always does well.

I don't think it would work.
It was a novelty to have a camera hidden in someone's living room back then.
These days with instant everything, it would take 5 seconds for someone to whip out their dick to millions of live viewers.
I would.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tortuga posted:

I love Rod Hull. Glad he didn't turn out to be one of the bad ones.

Is there another series of Emu’s World in the pipeline?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rarity posted:

Mr Blobby is a glorious representation of a simpler time when Freddos cost 10p, nobody knew the heartache of Take That breaking up and you didn't realise all your favourite TV stars were nonces.

As well as all these fantastic examples, you can't forget the more recent time where he scared Jack Whitehall shitless.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget that Blobby also scored the 1993 Christmas number one, beating out 'Babe ' by Take That and enraging teenage girls across the country. Back when Christmas number ones actually seemed to matter.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rondette posted:

Back when Christmas number ones actually seemed to matter.

Rage Against the Machine managed to kill that, thank gently caress.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

happyhippy posted:

These days with instant everything, it would take 5 seconds for someone to whip out their dick to millions of live viewers.
I would.

Doesn't Saturday Night Takeaway do the living room camera stuff for a karaoke feature? As far as I know so far that show has remained dickless (other than the two hosts lmao!!!!!)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Rage Against the Machine managed to kill that, thank gently caress.

I'd say Xfactor generally killed that. Rage was more of a reaction to Xfactor always being number one.
Music is so fragmented nowadays though. Just like everything I guess. There's very few stand out superstars because people listen to so many different things. Which is good!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd rather watch Ripper Street. You have the whole 19th century and they pick the loving monarchy to focus on. Bah. At least make them the background noise to the crazy weird rear end political stuff that is a fantastic weird alternate mirror to our own modern dumb politics.

loving love Ripper Street.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

happyhippy posted:

I would.

Hack into their phone cameras for an instant modern update. One minute you’re playing candy crush on the toilet, the next your kids are yelling downstairs that you’re on tv! You’re on tv!

I seem to remember they’d do really stupid pranks which would still be popular. And the mid 30s crowd would still like Mr Blobby.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

happyhippy posted:

I would.

A mans home is his dick castle.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

And the mid 30s crowd would still like Mr Blobby.

I was 13 when Blobby mania was a Thing. Even then it was loving weird. Nobody liked him, everyone I knew thought he was irritating/scary, but that seemed to be what made him so popular.
IIRC he was created as a prank character that was supposed to be bloody awful, and that first prank he was in (i think some celebrity trying to present a fake children's show while Blobby kept loving it up) was actually hilarious because it was such a hideous creation.

I remember us buying a Mr.Blobby pencil set as an ironic present for a friend. People loved to hate him, I guess. I am, as a mid thirties person, not nostalgic for him at all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was a strange time yeah.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It was Will Carling, of all people.

https://youtu.be/I06fRQlJGwQ

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Christ why can't just one person in Collateral not be damaged and angry. I was praying the MI5 guy would turn out to be disarmingly pleasant and chirpy, even if just to show how far above the little people he was.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

4 more series of Taskmaster announced, 10 episodes each, with next series' lineup being Alice Levine, Russell Howard, Tim Vine, Liza Tarbuck and Asim Chaudry. James Acaster confirmed for one of the future series.

Looks to be a good lineup, can't wait.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Chop Sunni posted:

Christ why can't just one person in Collateral not be damaged and angry. I was praying the MI5 guy would turn out to be disarmingly pleasant and chirpy, even if just to show how far above the little people he was.

I like how its trying so hard to be a state of the nation thing, swerving all over the place to make sure all bases are covered.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Only watched the first episode of Collateral so far. It’s decent but not great. I think Carey Mulligan’s character and performance are excellent however.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ibblebibble posted:

4 more series of Taskmaster announced, 10 episodes each, with next series' lineup being Alice Levine, Russell Howard, Tim Vine, Liza Tarbuck and Asim Chaudry. James Acaster confirmed for one of the future series.

Looks to be a good lineup, can't wait.

This is good news to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Finally finished McMafia and while the story had a lot going for it, I was left hugely disappointed by the failure of the main character to develop into a proper nasty mafia bastard like I was expecting, especially after the actor’s performance in Happy Valley.