Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

World Famous W posted:

...skip... uniques???

*I* don't do it generally, though I gotta be pretty confident to take on floor 2 sigmund. Certainly some of them give me pause at their minimum depths like nikola, gastronak, mara, menkaure, any naga, etc. It'd be cool to be rewarded with a randart for my trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

(Maybe your heroism skill bonus could start lower but go up once for every 3 uniques killed? Or 3/4/5/etc for successive ones?)

I'm just gonna pipe in to say that I really like this idea. The question is, would it be retroactive for uniques you killed pre-okawaru or just have it start from scratch?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Only suggestion I have for hell is reduce it to two floors each. One random then the rune floor. It's just a race to the bottom at the moment and I think 6 floors of nothing important is what makes the hell effects far more frustrating. Maybe remove paralyzing and contamination from them for good measure.

...skip... uniques???

I'd like to clarify that the design requests/input for the approved feature is for Hell's effects, not Hell's structure (though I will put that in as a FR to vote on in the next FR survey).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Would be neat (if complicated) to have a wandering hell prince (less powerful &) looking to score some points with the hell lords. It isn't stuck in one flavour of hell and each defeat replaces it with a hell prince that's incrementally more powerful. Stealth increasingly fuzzes the general area it knows where you are and it roars out as echolocation every so often, maybe prompting hell spawn to appear around you as per the typical hell effect. Defeating the hell lord makes the prince disinterested in following you further in the current branch to provide a little incentive when you're looking to loot places like Dis or Tartarus afterward.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Just remove glow from hell effects and they're basically fine, given the current system. Hell needs a top-down rework terribly but that's a bit beyond the scope of "FLOODKILLER FIX THIS," I think.

Hell, since glow is a miscast effect and hell effects are miscast effects, I'd say remove it from miscasts too. Glow is fine as a "you cast Invisibility or Haste (lol) too much" effect, but it really doesn't need to be a random punisher.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 17, 2018

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

q != edit

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sage Grimm posted:

Would be neat (if complicated) to have a wandering hell prince (less powerful &) looking to score some points with the hell lords. It isn't stuck in one flavour of hell and each defeat replaces it with a hell prince that's incrementally more powerful. Stealth increasingly fuzzes the general area it knows where you are and it roars out as echolocation every so often, maybe prompting hell spawn to appear around you as per the typical hell effect. Defeating the hell lord makes the prince disinterested in following you further in the current branch to provide a little incentive when you're looking to loot places like Dis or Tartarus afterward.

if nothing else i think it'd be cool for some kind of 'watcher' monster to spawn every now and then in the hells and immediately let out a screech and trigger monster summons or whatever the hell else if they spot a player. it'd give a more natural feeling to it all like you're actually invading the hells and stealing the rune instead of it just occasionally going 'HEY gently caress OFF' and spiking you with some bullshit.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

I'd like to clarify that the design requests/input for the approved feature is for Hell's effects, not Hell's structure (though I will put that in as a FR to vote on in the next FR survey).

I'm not sure if this is structure or effects, but I think hell effects for a given hell should end once you kill the lord, to encourage fun play and also encourage exploring the designs of the final floors. I've occasionally talked a dev into liking that idea and Grunt even coded it (%git hell-effect-end) but others viewed it as "free loot." (picking a bad fight isn't free!) Probably also should end monster spawning when that happens, if Hell still has continuous spawning not from hell effects.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still like the einherjar idea for Oka. Peaceful/neutral monsters that you can kill for their rad stuff or just use like a junior Brothers In Arms.

Edit: The only problem I can see is that it might be too easy to cheese getting them killed by something and then taking their poo poo without a struggle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

PMush Perfect posted:

I still like the einherjar idea for Oka. Peaceful/neutral monsters that you can kill for their rad stuff or just use like a junior Brothers In Arms.

Edit: The only problem I can see is that it might be too easy to cheese getting them killed by something and then taking their poo poo without a struggle.

Oh no, instead of getting it for free, you get it with a bit of patience instead! How terrible.
It's still better and more flavour than it getting dumped on the floor at your feet at certain intervals. Trog does that and is essentially a bestial god, Zom does that and is an entity that pokes at you with a stick.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Teal posted:

You call for ammo, get to choose the type, and a 1hp 0AC, 0EV apparition chasing you around and shooting you with your ammo of choice appears
FR: Make this a Xom event

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I know gooncrawl is the focus here these days but the past dozen or so commits to official crawl are all about removing spell books from the game.

quote:

Remove Trog's Burn Spellbooks ability.

Spellbooks are not marked as useless so as to keep autopickup on, since the
player may switch gods still.

A shameful commit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

orphean posted:

I know gooncrawl is the focus here these days but the past dozen or so commits to official crawl are all about removing spell books from the game.

A shameful commit.
What the actual gently caress.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

I think they're just trying to reduce inventory clutter. So books aren't actually removed from the game, just treated differently.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah they basically just don't take up inventory space now.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I would have thought this commit would be better for starting an outrage session.

quote:

Remove dream sheep fires

The special-cased sticky flame mechanic isn't really justifiable with sheep now
being a real enemy that's intended to be threatening instead of mostly just a
joke.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

I would have thought this commit would be better for starting an outrage session.
Everything is a disappointment now.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

Lol, that's some solid reasoning NOT!!!!!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i can't wait until crawl has one race, one god, & one type of monster in a branchless runeless dungeon

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Jazerus posted:

i can't wait until crawl has one race, one god, & one type of monster in a branchless runeless dungeon

also it's linecrawl

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sojenus posted:

also it's linecrawl

Remove Skills

With the removal of monsters, skills are now redundant and do not provide meaningful choices.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Me rn :

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Playing Crawl is a suboptimal choice when players could engage in other, more fulfilling activities. Therefore Crawl needs to be removed.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Floodkiller posted:

They've gone to far! Pitchforks and torches will be provided in the town square.

Also I do plan on making that "that's dcss" emote still, but been feeling :effort:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

World Famous W posted:

They've gone to far! Pitchforks and torches will be provided in the town square.

Also I do plan on making that "that's dcss" emote still, but been feeling :effort:

Don't worry the emote would just be removed because there's no point in having a multitude of slightly different emotes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Spellbooks should have been goldified forever ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

let trog permanently remove a spell from your "library" to throw a flame cloud on any square with damage/duration proportional to the spell level

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
make all spellbooks automatically explode when they enter los if you're trog imo

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

cheetah7071 posted:

make all spellbooks automatically explode when they enter los if you're trog imo

But in a 3x3 radius to make up for you not being able to time it or move it.

[EDIT] And rename the ability Bonfire of the Sanities.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I get the vibe Crawl is being pushed into being more simple, I guess for the Steam release to get more users?
Do devs not realize a lot of players enjoy learning the ins and outs of games? :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

... Steam release?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

someone awful. posted:

... Steam release?

man they really just approve any old shovelware then huh?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Devlan Mud posted:

man they really just approve any old shovelware then huh?

Isn't the requirements for putting a game onto Steam literally a $100 fee that will be refunded if the game actually manages to make money or witheld if the game turns out to be a copyright breaking bullshit?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I dunno I remember justification for removing something (could've been the Tolkein thing) being because they were shaping up for 0.20/21 to be on steam

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think the game is getting simpler, they keep replacing vanilla races with more complicated ones and adding new gods with weird gimmicks. And they keep tacking unique abilities onto monsters too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The Steam release was actually planned before that point, but has since been put on the backburner. None of the changes are because of copyright or anything else; the actual reason it won't be put on Steam in the near future is due to how the development team is structured and how Steam's developer/author system works.

It's been a while since I saw the actual conversation, but it was something like only one user/account could be connected to the Steam program for app management/updates. Since the dev team cycles frequently and that one person might not stick around, it becomes an issue of constantly going through Valve to get the management person updated or keeping someone stuck as the manager even after they've lost interest in DC:SS (which can also become a security issue if they feel like wiping it or replacing it with something else).

That, and I think PleasingFungus was the one behind actually pushing for a Steam release. Since he's left the team and made his own game instead, I don't think there's been much interest in pushing for a Steam release.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wait PF got onto his own thing? Is it Silicon Zeroes?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can't blame PF for leaving, especially since he kind of ended up being the killed messenger every time the devs did something stupid.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Wait PF got onto his own thing? Is it Silicon Zeroes?

Yeah! It's quite good as well if you enjoy a Zachtronics-esq puzzle game (that's not quite as brutal as say, Spacechem). Definitely check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

I dunno I remember justification for removing something (could've been the Tolkien thing) being because they were shaping up for 0.20/21 to be on steam

The roguelike Tales of Middle Earth (ToME4) was renamed to Tales of Maj'Eyal before its commercial release on Steam.

High Elves were removed because they didn't have a gameplay niche, and the devs noted that reducing the amount of pseudo-Tolkien *-Elf lore was a positive side effect. It's what everyone remembers because "Tolkien Minorities" was the most inspired clan name of the .20 tournament.

• Locked thread