Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Everything Burrito posted:

double fang also good

no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Parallax posted:

no one say anything about the floating eyebrows

I am pro-fang, but ambivalent about fleshy lookin' ones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a kitten posted:

i actually had to rewind the ep to make sure i wasn't hallucinating the eyebrows

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like this got lost in the fang shuffle and I wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

Pop Team Epic has decided to be a multimedia art piece instead of adapting a 4koma gag manga

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

a kitten posted:

cap'n camp

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Expect My Mom posted:

I feel like this got lost in the fang shuffle and I wanted to make sure everyone saw it.

Pop Team Epic has decided to be a multimedia art piece instead of adapting a 4koma gag manga

i'll admit that owns a lot

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

double fang also good

Need double fang that’s fang and skinfang right in front of it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gmq posted:

eyebrows are good

WHAT THE FU-

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Also highlighting my favorite skit in Popteamepic so far

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this was my favorite Pop Team Epic bit, but it's been dethroned by the power of Hellshake Yano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0FY-7_qtaQ

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

*staring inches from my screen, sweating profusely as I try to determine if Colonel edited a tiny fleshfang into this pic

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

*staring inches from my screen, sweating profusely as I try to determine if Colonel edited a tiny fleshfang into this pic
Yeah that's why I stare at this av too haha

kater
Nov 16, 2010

crooked lips into skinfang is some high level poo poo.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

also im watching the Inappropriate Crush Working!! and you can't stop me. It is smooth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant believe cartoons have cartoon things in them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

the only funny parts of pop team epic are the parts where it isnt pop team epic

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

Hmmmm...no.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
What's the deal with everyone hating the style of pop team epic? I thought it'd be raved about but not too many people seem to like the comedy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's literally just that some people aren't super into the show and get annoyed when it's constantly pushed

i watched one ep and i appreciate the craft that goes into it it just didn't hook me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guavatin posted:

What's the deal with everyone hating the style of pop team epic? I thought it'd be raved about but not too many people seem to like the comedy.
the show's one of the most popular things airing this season and has even gotten 'normies' into it. three or four people on a dead forum for people in their thirties saying they dont like it is not a trend.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo the show's mostly just less funny versions of the 4koma mixed in with some really lazy gags that gintama got tired of seven years ago. 'haha, you thought this was a show for GIRLS, but its actually Pop Team Epic!" "Haha, all the VAs changed." the only parts of it i like are the parts that are actually inventively weird like that hellshaker bit or them cutting to the VAs in the booth, and they stole that latter one from like three different short series in 2012 where that was the only gag.

some people are into the meta weirdness of it and thats fine, its style of comedy just doesn't do anything for me. i prefer comedy that has actual setup and context to comedy thats just seventeen weird gags a minute, and even if i wanted weird rapidfire meta gags, i feel like the last few episodes of animegataris did that much, much better. other examples of that being done well would be the recap episode of re:creators and some of those weird shorts like gdgd.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Did it keep doing the double episode thing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

yea

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Guavatin posted:

Hate is a little strong. I just don't find it very funny.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A lot of popteamepic's humor comes down to referential humor, which at best can be really hit-and-miss, and at worst obnoxious and unfunny (I've seen many people turned off this show because the first episode's main skit was just a constant barrage of references with no real punchline to most of them).

Another portion of the humor comes down to seiyuu appreciation, which is something not everyone will enjoy. This is especially true when it comes to a language they don't natively speak, with many of the famous voice actors having no cultural bearing on their minds (think of how Monokuma in Dangan Ronpa was voiced by Nobuyo Ōyama, famous for Doraemon, and how the English equivalent would be something like Mel Blanc imitating Bugs Bunny) and not being able to pick up on all of the intricacies of the line reads each particular Voice actor gives.

Which gets into the issue of repeat segments. While it can be fun to see how the different seiyuu deliver the same joke differently (or ad lib on occasion), this might not be enough variation for some people to justify sitting through and watching 12 minutes of the same jokes repeated again, especially if they didn't find those jokes particularly funny the first time. Occasionally you'll get a toss up, like with the end of the main skit in episode 2, but the show doesn't do it often enough to really justify sitting through it all every week unless you were already invested in watching the second half.

And lastly, there's the meta-textual humor of this show being something that also won't appeal to everyone. Sonething being lovely for the sake of it might be funny to some people, and might just come across as lovely and lazy to others. The show and comic doesn't try to pretend it's some masterpiece-it'll frequently call itself lovely and acknowledges people that call it lovely while having a laugh about it. I've seen it refered to as 'anti-humor', which i don't know if I'd agree with that description, but it is at the very least not mainstream comedic humor, so it comes across to many people as "something you get, or you don't".

I'm enjoying my experience with the show, and there have been standout segments like 'Hellshake Yano' that have touched me. But my enjoyment in part is akin to that of an art curator, where you can appreciate the elements of it, but perhaps you're enjoying the art process more than the art piece itself. Unlike other comedies that I've enjoyed like Nichijou and Konosuba, which I could rewatch again and again, this show feels like something that I probably won't revisit save for those one or two segments with staying power, and I suppose that is one of popteamepic's biggest weaknesses...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/965518701767270402

a terrible day for the cause of freedom of speech to (checks notes) deny the holocaust

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Congrats to Canipa moving to Japan, apparently :confuoot:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

nice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/965518701767270402

a terrible day for the cause of freedom of speech to (checks notes) deny the holocaust

dude was pretty much an in-houser for signal md, and signal md has good relations with the IG bloc of studios, like Wit and such. so, in short: owned

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

dog mountain

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Futaba Anzu posted:

dog mountain

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

kater posted:

boo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

they use it real well tho

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yet another victim of the vast jewish conspiracy to use anime to (checks notes) stop white people from breeding

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
richard spencer is going to kickstart a white supremacist anime by selling his cotton farm

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Guavatin posted:

The comedy can be good when it’s doing its own thing but when it’s adapting the source 4 Lima’s I’ve never felt it do it actually better than the 4 komas

People also raved about the ep1 gag with it replaying but it made me go, I don’t really care to watch this again and by the time ep2 rolled around I was already feeling like making full lengths was a mistake

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guavatin posted:

Isn't the thread for it one of the most popular happening right now in our little sub-forum? If you mean outside ADTRW/SA, who knows. I know this may come off a bit "echo chamber"-y but thanks to the seasonal threads here, I've mostly stopped going to other websites for information/check for hype and such. It's very relaxing.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Due to the nature of the format, it has peaks and valleys in quality and they're very much noticeable. Hellshake Yano was such a high peak as to be extremely memorable, but the majority of the previous two episodes were mediocre.

I'm gonna keep watching, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch the whole show. When I feel the urge later on I'll just rewatch a couple of the best sketches instead of the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

They doubled the episodes because it was only supposed to be a half-length show, but they ended up with a full-length time slot. They didn't have anything else to pair it with, so it was either re-air some old half-length anime, air it twice completely unchanged, or do what they ended up doing.

• Locked thread