Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

In 1940, A.A. Volkov and S.A. Yartsev created an autocannon called TKB-201 for the new 23 mm round. It was intended to be the primary weapon of the Ilyushin Il-2 ground attack aircraft. The original intention was to create a gun capable of penetrating German tank armour.

Due to unavailability of Il-2, the first airborne testing was performed using a Messerschmitt Bf 110 heavy fighter sold by Germany in 1940.

:ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Notable examples
Northrop Frye saw Julius Caesar as unable to evade the burden of leadership, in the way Hercules, for example, had shifted the weight of the world onto Atlas.[7]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been seen as a young person carrying age-inappropriate responsibilities for the fate of the world.[8]

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
angelus shrugged

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RZApublican posted:

Notable examples
Northrop Frye saw Julius Caesar as unable to evade the burden of leadership, in the way Hercules, for example, had shifted the weight of the world onto Atlas.[7]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been seen as a young person carrying age-inappropriate responsibilities for the fate of the world.[8]
northrop frye is cool and good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

buffy too

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Rich Lee is known for implanting headphones in his tragi in 2013, as well as for his work on a vibrating pelvic implant called the Lovetron9000. His biohacking activities were used as a justification to remove his parental custody rights in 2016.[39][40][41][42][43][44][45][46][47][48][49][50][51][52][53][54][55]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pakled posted:

Rich Lee is known for implanting headphones in his tragi in 2013, as well as for his work on a vibrating pelvic implant called the Lovetron9000. His biohacking activities were used as a justification to remove his parental custody rights in 2016.[39][40][41][42][43][44][45][46][47][48][49][50][51][52][53][54][55]

:wow:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm citation 51

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pakled posted:

:perfect:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"whoa" --neo, teh matricks[69][420]

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

if this thing had leds that lit up to indicate dankness or something it would be the most yospos thing ever

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

A Pirate Ninja is defined as one kilowatt hour per Martian day, or sol. The Martian book and movie author Andy Weir revealed in a 2015 interview that the Curiosity rover team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory references milli-Pirate-Ninjas in their meetings.[29] By calculation, 1 Pirate-Ninja is roughly 40.6 watts.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

boy that sure is a hilarious

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i put the book down at that point, it wasn't that great up to then, but that section was just too much to bear

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"whoa" --neo, teh matricks[69][420]

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sweevo posted:

A Pirate Ninja is defined as one kilowatt hour per Martian day, or sol. The Martian book and movie author Andy Weir revealed in a 2015 interview that the Curiosity rover team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory references milli-Pirate-Ninjas in their meetings.[29] By calculation, 1 Pirate-Ninja is roughly 40.6 watts.

I’m glad the movie skipped this part

and had some of the nerdy engineers dislike the dumb references others make

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sweevo posted:

I don't care what someone's qualifications are, if they think that sort of thing is funny then I think a lot less of them

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cool_Timeline2.png

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

i'm the plantations

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i can feel myself getting dumber the longer i look at that

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

I don't care what someone's qualifications are, if they think that sort of thing is funny then I think a lot less of them

i write a lot of R and teach R workshops and half of my colleagues go apeshit with the pirate jokes and it just makes me disappointed in them every single time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

i write a lot of R and teach R workshops and half of my colleagues go apeshit with the pirate jokes and it just makes me disappointed in them every single time
would you say it...drives you nuts?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

:pirate:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

no sir i would not

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

With a timeline like that, it's important that you take the time to convert it into svg.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Timeline_of_cool.svg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

With a timeline like that, it's important that you take the time to convert it into svg.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Timeline_of_cool.svg

(they used to ban people for posting this, didn't they? hope that's not still a thing :ohdear:)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:cb:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd report img-timeline if i wasn't so sure that i am far more likely to get banned for it in present day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this image and the caption and the "own work" is really making my skin crawl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_obesity#/media/File:Variation_in_body_fat_12577.JPG

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

this image and the caption and the "own work" is really making my skin crawl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_obesity#/media/File:Variation_in_body_fat_12577.JPG

:shudder::hf::yikes:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
how do we take that down

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

George posted:

how do we take that down

This deletion debate is now closed. Please do not make any edits to this archive. You can read the deletion policy or ask a question at the Village pump. If the circumstances surrounding this file have changed in a notable manner, you may re-nominate this file or ask for it to be undeleted.
File:Variation_in_body_fat_12577.JPG

I would like to see what the community feels is appropriate for this image. Per Commons:Photographs of identifiable people#Moral issues, I feel like this photo could probably be deleted. I understand that the servers are located in the US, and that means we don't need people's permission to have their photo taken in a public place, but this photo has received negative feedback on the enwiki talk page for the file, and I somewhat agree that the image seems to be taken at a somewhat inappropriate time for the girl. We are well within our legal rights to keep the image, I'm just concerned about the reputation of the project when we host files like this. I'm not trying to offend the uploader/author. So, I believe this should be deleted, but wanted more input from the community. Killiondude (talk) 06:03, 16 November 2009 (UTC)

I would say Keep here because none of the people are identifiable so there is no personality rights issues here. The photo is taken from people's backs and you can't see their faces. --Leoboudv (talk) 06:34, 16 November 2009 (UTC)

It's a keep for me too; it would be different if the girl was identifiable, but she's not. –Tryphon☂ 08:35, 16 November 2009 (UTC)
Sure, she is fat and it's not a very nice picture to be in, but we can't recognize the she, so Symbol keep vote.svg Keep. Multichill (talk) 19:25, 16 November 2009 (UTC)

Keep A completely public situation. Were she identifiable, it might be right to delete the image on grounds of taste, but even then her privacy would not be being violated. Fat people are fat, thin people are thin, disabled people are disabled etc. etc. etc. --Simonxag (talk) 13:48, 20 November 2009 (UTC)

Kept. –Juliancolton | Talk 05:40, 23 November 2009 (UTC)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
gently caress that's awful

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Boppin' is a puzzle-oriented video game created by Jennifer Diane Reitz in 1991, developed under the company name Accursed Toys and published by Karmasoft for the Amiga computer with only 32 colors on screen. Around that time Karmasoft held a level design contest.[1] The game sold poorly with 284 copies, so Jennifer got it republished by Apogee Software (now known as 3D Realms) with up to 256 colors on screen. Due to mature content containing blood and Seppuku, the game was rated for players aged 25.[2]

Contents
1 Plot
2 Gameplay
3 Release
4 Reception
5 References
6 External links
Plot
The game takes place in a multiverse where fictional universes exist mostly by the minds and dreams of people. One such universe called Arcapaedia is inhabited by video game characters, especially the two stick-figured, triangle-headed Yeet and Boik. However all the arcade games have been diminished due to the lack of bad guys and villains taken away by the puristic Hunnybunz Family. Since heroes and good guys are not able to rescue the missing characters, Yeet and Boik having a neutral alignment, set off to thwart Hunnybunz, his wife and his lovechild's intentions.

Gameplay
Levels are made up of blocks, elevators, refractors, prizes and two starting points. The game involves throwing blocks picked up from the starting point (one for each player in two-player games, only one is used in one-player) at blocks of the same type which are already in the levels. The blocks are thrown at 45 degree angles, and can be bounced off refractors placed in strategic parts of the levels. The blocks already in the level can be pushed around and bonus items can be collected for additional points, extra lives and extra credits. Each credit starts the player with five lives. The player can have maximum of ten lives. If the player runs out of lives and credits, the game is over.

If a thrown block hits a wall/floor, flies off the level or hits a block of another type, then the block is destroyed and the player loses a life. If a thrown block goes through a randomly chosen space on the level called the mystery spot, the screen will turned a gold shade and the player's score points earned are multiplied by 10% for the duration. If a thrown block, when it collides with the blocks of the same type, makes a special shape - a 2x2 square, a 3x3 cross shape, a 3x3 hollow square and a 3x3 square - then a monster is freed from the blocks. At the end of a level, bonus points are awarded for freed monsters. The two-player mode is more or less the same as the single-player mode but is basically a competition for the highest score.

In every multiple 40 level, the gameplay changes slightly as a boss level, where the player has to launch weapon-like throwing blocks at the Hunnybunz opponent. The damage done by each throwing block is determined by the high score the player achieved. After sufficient damage has been done to the opponent, the episode is won. Getting touched by the opponent loses the player one life.

Boppin' is notable for its odd tone; in the original 1.0 version of the game, the Accursed Toys logo was the company's original "Deady Bear" logo, a teddy bear stabbed with a kitchen knife and bleeding, and upon losing a life, Yeet and Boik would commit suicide by shooting themselves in the mouth and seppuku respectively. These assets were replaced in the 1.1 version, and were only accessible by using the command line "boppin.exe blood". The game's credits screen would also contain lengthy manifestos from both authors about their motivations behind this.

Release
The Amiga version of the game came had 150 levels, a level editor, a larger menu during the gameplay, its own copy protection and three levels of difficulty.[3]

When the DOS version was released in November 15, 1994 it had updated audio, levels and graphics and came in four releases. The first release was the shareware version which had only 26 levels that made up the first episode. The second release was titled Basic Boppin' which had two episodes with 80 levels in all (the first 26 different from the Shareware version). The third release made in December 9, 1994 was titled Super Boppin', came on a CD, had all four episodes with 160 episodes plus a level editor and all violent features censored. The final release made in August 19, 2005 was freeware simply titled Boppin' and had all the features of the third release and was the very release ported to Windows.[4]

Reception
A review on Amazing Computer highlighted that the game had a number of video game references including Super Mario.[5]

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

boppin was legit

i tried playing it in one of those browser does emulators recently though and I sucked at it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Controversy [edit]

Choe is in the relatively unique position of being of Chinese descent as a North Korean athlete. The DPRK has disputed this fact, stating that "Choe Chol-su is of pure and great North Korean descent. Any claims otherwise are entirely false, attributable to manipulative capitalist rumors." Choe's family originated from the Guangdong province of China.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

boppin was legit

i tried playing it in one of those browser does emulators recently though and I sucked at it

boppin makes me feel good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Godley & Creme were an English rock duo composed of Kevin Godley and Lol Creme.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

prefect posted:

Lol Creme.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

There is no mention or use of the Noisy Cricket in Men in Black 3[citation needed].