Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just thought I'd do a Phinny server health update.

I remember people saying that Agnarr would kill Phinny. Then it was after PoP the server would die. Then it's something else, etc. I mean, some dropoff is expected, but the server is still doing insanely well.

Here's the number of guilds that have cleared the expansion in-era:
PoP - 20
GoD - 19
OoW - 18
DoN - 18
DoDH - 9 + 7 working on it

I think there's definitely a bit less enthusiasm as the expansions have gone on, but then again most people get everything they care about doing done really quick. Usually in the first week everyone has everything done that they need.

Probably the most surprising thing to me what might be the DoDH drop off. I'm surprised some of the guilds don't even have Demiplane T1 kills up yet - but then again, it's very likely the casual guilds aren't splitting Vule, so that could take them quite a bit longer to knock out. We 4-split Vule that first week, which was really challenging for us (well, 3 of the 4 raids did fine), but we got through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Just thought I'd do a Phinny server health update.

I remember people saying that Agnarr would kill Phinny. Then it was after PoP the server would die. Then it's something else, etc. I mean, some dropoff is expected, but the server is still doing insanely well.

Here's the number of guilds that have cleared the expansion in-era:
PoP - 20
GoD - 19
OoW - 18
DoN - 18
DoDH - 9 + 7 working on it

I think there's definitely a bit less enthusiasm as the expansions have gone on, but then again most people get everything they care about doing done really quick. Usually in the first week everyone has everything done that they need.

Probably the most surprising thing to me what might be the DoDH drop off. I'm surprised some of the guilds don't even have Demiplane T1 kills up yet - but then again, it's very likely the casual guilds aren't splitting Vule, so that could take them quite a bit longer to knock out. We 4-split Vule that first week, which was really challenging for us (well, 3 of the 4 raids did fine), but we got through it.

DoDH is not a good expansion once you start getting into a little bit. Demiplane and DSK have mobs that simply adore being able to stun with a super high or unresistable check. There's a reason I dislike DoDH and absolutely despise PoR.

Also, I heard that some guilds had trouble handling Sisters, Hatchet, and Performer due to inexperience of some people being able to pay attention to a chat window or set up basic GINA functions. For EoE, we personally had no major issues except two wipes to Mayong our first run through because we hadn't practiced it and the woof and orc had a lot more health than I remembered. Once we got how to do the mini phase and the bat spawns down, he died pretty easily.

And yes, some people just leave as time goes on cause its not close to p99 anymore. I recently heard that IVAS folded into WT because they couldn't field more than about 30 people and that's apparently not enough for Demi. My frank opinion is that its good for the server, because I hope at some point they turn off the nonsense that is truebox and let people who want to play here play as many characters as they want. If Coirnav had been non-Truebox, with AoCs, I'd actually consider playing there, but I hate the hoops that truebox makes me go through to have fun playing EQ.

I really hope that Coirnav takes 2-3 more guilds away from Phin and they turn off Trueboxing in around SoF.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Back in the day 99% of the guilds on my live server were hard stuck on dodh and didn't clear it until they kitted out their tanks with sof cultural.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

Also, I heard that some guilds had trouble handling Sisters, Hatchet, and Performer due to inexperience of some people being able to pay attention to a chat window or set up basic GINA functions. For EoE, we personally had no major issues except two wipes to Mayong our first run through because we hadn't practiced it and the woof and orc had a lot more health than I remembered. Once we got how to do the mini phase and the bat spawns down, he died pretty easily.

I actually missed my guild's first kills on everything past the first two fights - I was on a family trip to Disney World, heh. The report I got was pretty solid though, with nothing *too* major. We cleared it last Sunday and it went real fine. It helped that attendance was a lot better - last weekend a lot of other people missed for Sports Ball.

The main thing they said was Mayong took forever, due to so few bane weapons. Went smooth for us last week. They talked about how much quicker it was, heh - due to both bane and attendance.

Hoohah posted:

I recently heard that IVAS folded into WT because they couldn't field more than about 30 people and that's apparently not enough for Demi.

Huh, hadn't heard that. They cleared DODH in good time, and nothing about it on their news update.

Hoohah posted:

There's a reason I [snip] absolutely despise PoR.

After reading a post on the official forums, my main concern is that they get the needed AOCs in place. There's still way too much competition on Phinny to have that many progression targets be open world.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hoohah posted:

DoDH is not a good expansion once you start getting into a little bit. Demiplane and DSK have mobs that simply adore being able to stun with a super high or unresistable check. There's a reason I dislike DoDH and absolutely despise PoR.

And yes, some people just leave as time goes on cause its not close to p99 anymore. I recently heard that IVAS folded into WT because they couldn't field more than about 30 people and that's apparently not enough for Demi. My frank opinion is that its good for the server, because I hope at some point they turn off the nonsense that is truebox and let people who want to play here play as many characters as they want. If Coirnav had been non-Truebox, with AoCs, I'd actually consider playing there, but I hate the hoops that truebox makes me go through to have fun playing EQ.

I really hope that Coirnav takes 2-3 more guilds away from Phin and they turn off Trueboxing in around SoF.

We did demi plane with like 50 toons, probably 30 real people, so it seems about right considering truebox no one wants to really do 2 computers at once (or can't). Mayong bat phase is the worst and that's generally when we ran into issues.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
So i'm looking for some old school EQ nostalgia, hated P99. I tried Phinegel when it was in PoP and enjoyed it but the levelling was pretty slow going.

I'm debating whether I should start a character on Agnarr or wait for Coirnav. I loved PoP, so I'm pretty okay with the idea of progression stopping in that era. How's the exp rate? How's grouping in the lower levels on Agnarr? What do people think the longevity will be like for Agnarr? I'd hate to hit raid readiness and then have no one to play with.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Avenged posted:

So i'm looking for some old school EQ nostalgia, hated P99. I tried Phinegel when it was in PoP and enjoyed it but the levelling was pretty slow going.

I'm debating whether I should start a character on Agnarr or wait for Coirnav. I loved PoP, so I'm pretty okay with the idea of progression stopping in that era. How's the exp rate? How's grouping in the lower levels on Agnarr? What do people think the longevity will be like for Agnarr? I'd hate to hit raid readiness and then have no one to play with.

The leveling is quicker now on Phinny, but we're obviously way past PoP. We got an increase in GoD.

Agnarr exp rate was good, from what I heard. Longevity-wise, all anyone can do is speculate. There's still PoP and LDON to go there, but obviously interest will die down. I'd say 2-3 months after LDON launches you'll really start seeing guilds start to merge into one another. So you have time to catch up and see some raids, I'm sure.

Corinav exp rate will be like Phinny is now, per their post (unless I read it wrong).

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Out of the blue I came to this forum. I am surprised and sort of excited EQ is still around. I had/(have?) a level 65 cleric ad 65 ranger on cazic thule from luclin/early PoP era.

Is EQ still pretty playable? If I came back would I have to switch to a more populated server? Should I stick with my cleric or ranger or would I be better off starting fresh? Also are all my previously hard earned gear now totally worthless haha?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Avenged posted:

Agnarr leveling is apparently much faster than Phinny. There was a big surge of new players when Luclin hit and a ton of Beastlords alts being made which seems like it's tapered off by now, but still not a bad time to start.

I'd suggest jumping in to Agnarr now and make a character on the new server in a month to see how you like it. Being limited to just classic content really isn't as fun as it sounds on a busy server.

If you decide to roll on Agnarr post your class and name and I can set you up with some starter stuff

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

xZAOx posted:

The leveling is quicker now on Phinny, but we're obviously way past PoP. We got an increase in GoD.

Agnarr exp rate was good, from what I heard. Longevity-wise, all anyone can do is speculate. There's still PoP and LDON to go there, but obviously interest will die down. I'd say 2-3 months after LDON launches you'll really start seeing guilds start to merge into one another. So you have time to catch up and see some raids, I'm sure.

Corinav exp rate will be like Phinny is now, per their post (unless I read it wrong).

I think they said the xp rate will be like Phinny after Feb 2016, no idea what that means. Some random person said it'll b 30% slower than Agnarr is now

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

Solarin posted:

Agnarr leveling is apparently much faster than Phinny. There was a big surge of new players when Luclin hit and a ton of Beastlords alts being made which seems like it's tapered off by now, but still not a bad time to start.

I'd suggest jumping in to Agnarr now and make a character on the new server in a month to see how you like it. Being limited to just classic content really isn't as fun as it sounds on a busy server.

If you decide to roll on Agnarr post your class and name and I can set you up with some starter stuff

Thanks for the offer. High Elf Paladin Trebbek is now a thing.

Avenged fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 18, 2018

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Doctor Party posted:

Is EQ still pretty playable? If I came back would I have to switch to a more populated server? Should I stick with my cleric or ranger or would I be better off starting fresh? Also are all my previously hard earned gear now totally worthless haha?

The last time I played a live server was with the little goon revival when the game went F2P, and we just pretty much grouped with ourselves. Using that and what I've heard about live servers for years, I'll try to answer yer questions!

What do you mean by "playable"? The game still works - by EQ standards, lol.

Server choice - live servers are almost universally low pop. The only one that isn't I think is the FV server, which is special because EVERYTHING is tradeable there. If you wanted to play on a live server, your experience will most likely be like this:

-Get a merc and "molo" (merc + solo) until the low 80s. At that point this stops being effective
-Start boxing. Live servers are F2P, so while you may want to sub for your main character, you can infinity box. IsBoxer is popular for assisting with this. All the servers are super top heavy. If there is a group leveling up, they're probably all boxing too. You're not going to find groups (just like in every other MMO out there these days - we're antisocial).
-At max level, find a raiding guild. You *may* want to switch servers at this point - I don't know that every server has a solid raiding guild. I'd assume they do, though.

Your old characters are fine, but there's been so many changes, you may want to start off fresh anyways. Leveling up is obviously a lot faster at those old levels, and it autogrants you old AAs as you progress.

Yes, your gear is *fairly* worthless. There's defiant gear that stretches through many levels (at least to the 80s) that's going to be as good as any raid gear. You said your last gear was Luclin/PoP and you're 65, so yeah, it's all trash. The level cap stays at 65 for a long time, and POP is level 60 gear. The next several expansions: GoD, Omens, DoDH, PoR gear is all level 65 and progresses on itself, and PoP gear was trash the second GoD hit. Add in defiant gear and yeah, it's garbage.

Clickies are still worthwhile, but that's more of a 2.0 or Omens BP thing, which you won't have. Some jewelry might be worthwhile too, since defiant is just the "visible" gear.

So, you may be wondering - where is the population then, and what the gently caress have we been talking about? We're talking about TLPs - Time Locked Progression servers. The recent ones are, by far, more popular than Live servers. If you're just coming back, I'd recommend maybe logging into the old toons to gently caress around for a bit, then jump on the NEW TLP Corinav that launches on March 16th.

The Phinny server has been, by far, my favorite EQ experience. It's obviously missing some of the nostalgia hits, but I've never played *any* MMO for more than about a 3 month stretch without taking some breaks (including when I played EQ back in 99 and so on). I've at least logged in for raids on Phinny since I started in late Kunark.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Where is Agnarr on the timeline for unlocks? I haven't touched my Chanter / Cleric there in forever but played through Kunark and almost finished my Cleric epic.

Do Enchanters get that AA for permanent charm pet sometime soon / when can I learn that? I couldn't continue committing near uninterruptible hours of leveling and raiding on the Enchanter with charm breaking on a RNG.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

onesixtwo posted:

Where is Agnarr on the timeline for unlocks? I haven't touched my Chanter / Cleric there in forever but played through Kunark and almost finished my Cleric epic.

Do Enchanters get that AA for permanent charm pet sometime soon / when can I learn that? I couldn't continue committing near uninterruptible hours of leveling and raiding on the Enchanter with charm breaking on a RNG.

The Dire Charm AA is in game now in Agnarr.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Been tempted to try Agnarr out since PoP Era was my golden era. How is the low level population, enough to casually find groups to level? Would I run into a bunch of boxers or are they somewhat rare (or friendly enough to let people join them)? Then of course, how much of an impact does krono have on the economy? Is it necessary to deal with them or can you get by without having to? On the other hand, would one krono be enough to get enough gear to start out on for a bard or rogue?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I just krono'd one of my accounts to check on a lot of the above. Saw quite a bit of lfg chatter for 20s, in the /lfg browser I saw a full group worth of teens, some lower levels.

Krono appears to be worth around 9k on the bazaar atm? I'm also looking to roll a new rogue, so I checked out weapons and those seemed to be largely affordable for what was listed. You could probably fully kit something out through 40s for 1-2 kr depending on your level of spoiled required.

If you don't have Krono of your own already, starting out is going to be like most other times. Rough until you find someone friendly to toss you a few starter pieces. True box is around, but you'll still occasionally find a boxer and in my past experience they were friendly. Cash camps are where the real shady poo poo happens so you won't have to deal with them for awhile.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Orty posted:

Been tempted to try Agnarr out since PoP Era was my golden era. How is the low level population, enough to casually find groups to level? Would I run into a bunch of boxers or are they somewhat rare (or friendly enough to let people join them)? Then of course, how much of an impact does krono have on the economy? Is it necessary to deal with them or can you get by without having to? On the other hand, would one krono be enough to get enough gear to start out on for a bard or rogue?

Piggybacking on onesixtwo - The lowbie pop is pretty good. Unrest and beyond is usually pretty active. The boxers you run in to now are probably someone with a 60 shm/dru/etc box leveling their lowbie dude. Buying a krono would get you a lot atm. Prices skyrocketed with Coirnav's announcement.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Where is Agnarr on the timeline for unlocks? I haven't touched my Chanter / Cleric there in forever but playedthrough Kunark and almost finished my Cleric epic.

Do Enchanters get that AA for permanent charm pet sometime soon / when can I learn that? I couldn't continue committing near uninterruptible hours of leveling andraiding on the Enchanter with charm breaking on a RNG.

Luclin opened a couple weeks ago and I think PoP hits late April.

Dire Charm is in and requires level 59 and 9 AA points. It's sort of a niche thing because it only works up to level 46 and not every zone has a good pet in that range

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Low end gear is absurdly cheap right now so you can easily get a full set of decent stuff for like half of a krono.

The population is pretty good but leveling groups usually stick to a handful of zones. That said you have to be willing to start your own groups and be creative to not be stuck LFG for long stretches.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Worth getting into then for someone who just wants to roll a bard like they had in the old days? Probably wouldn't be messing with krono at all, and I know no one who is currently playing.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

One big bard change was AE kiting is no longer possible. The AE dot songs do no damage to moving targets. Be aware if that was a big part of why you enjoyed bard. Other than that I'd say give it a shot and see if it's fun for you. Overall I've found the people on the server to be pretty decent and fun to play with, and the pace of leveling is fast and doesn't feel like a miserable slog unless you're stuck LFG

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
So an oddball question about networking and universal chat service.

I bought a new NIC over the weekend to try and stop an issue with the network interface crashing while watching Twitch, which has been done, but now when I zone, I have like 5 seconds to do /list or I lose connection to the universal chat service. Anyone run into something like this and what the answer might be? Prior to putting in the new NIC, I had no issues whatsoever with UCS unless it was a problem for everyone, so I've already partially ruled out my router.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

Orty posted:

Worth getting into then for someone who just wants to roll a bard like they had in the old days? Probably wouldn't be messing with krono at all, and I know no one who is currently playing.

If you want to start, I just hit level 5 on a high elf paladin, Trebbek, in GFay. Let’s get this thing going.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Orty posted:

A Bard is 100% serviceable as the groups CC without gear required so is a really good choice to make fresh. Have someone get you a pair of Mistmoore drums & lute, and a centaur’s horn. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone in Bard chat had leftovers somewhere, even.

A weapon is useful but instruments and your CC (pet dps is CC) are way more valuable for bard leveling. Form groups yourself and don’t bring an enchanter with you has worked best for me in the past. Only time you’ll be taking damage is when ae men gets resisted or you slip up on charm timing / miss a note.

Orty
May 14, 2007

I am guessing any revamped zones like Nektulous are the new versions right? Is the cash shop open as well, so people can buy exp boosts and bags and such?

Avenged posted:

If you want to start, I just hit level 5 on a high elf paladin, Trebbek, in GFay. Let’s get this thing going.

If I start up it will probably be tomorrow, ill look out for you if I do.

onesixtwo posted:

A Bard is 100% serviceable as the groups CC without gear required so is a really good choice to make fresh. Have someone get you a pair of Mistmoore drums & lute, and a centaur’s horn. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone in Bard chat had leftovers somewhere, even.

A weapon is useful but instruments and your CC (pet dps is CC) are way more valuable for bard leveling. Form groups yourself and don’t bring an enchanter with you has worked best for me in the past. Only time you’ll be taking damage is when ae men gets resisted or you slip up on charm timing / miss a note.

Kind of the problem if I play bard. I usually end up as just buffing the group and putting out whatever meager melee dps I can. Never really had to pull or CC, both things I was terrible at. Other than sitting in groups twisting a bunch of songs to support while dpsing the only other thing I was good at was swarm kiting (not the AOE kind).

Why I was thinking of rogue as well, though its a bit more gear dependent and id miss the utility with bard.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I rolled a bard when Phinny came out after never playing one before. I had a blast. Learning to pull and charm, etc. is a lot of fun. You can be really powerful if played correctly. I highly recommend it. I was even tanking for high level groups in classic.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Orty posted:

Kind of the problem if I play bard. I usually end up as just buffing the group and putting out whatever meager melee dps I can. Never really had to pull or CC, both things I was terrible at. Other than sitting in groups twisting a bunch of songs to support while dpsing the only other thing I was good at was swarm kiting (not the AOE kind).

Why I was thinking of rogue as well, though its a bit more gear dependent and id miss the utility with bard.

A tl;dr to being the Best Bard There Ever Was would be like this:

-Don't have an enchanter in your group.
-Equip wind instrument, charm the second mob pulled into the room / whichever isn't being marked to tank first by puller (typically first in the room).
-Send charmed pet to attack first target
-AE Mez the third-fourth-fifth add
-Manasong tick w/ Lute (i think that improves it)
-Tab to your pet, put wind instrument on, re-charm
-Make pet attack
-AE Mez
-Murder next mob

You kind of run the show. decide which targets get killed (charm the one you want if multiple run into the room, quickly) because your AE mez isn't perfect and will be resisted (maxing wind instruments is extremely required at all times). I think Wind is the instrument for charm / mez, at least. It has been a few years since I played bard, but I CC'd all of MM, SolB, LGuk, etc back when I did. Also you get to refuse pulling as bard because of Manasong, so CC is really the only role left. I'll be honest I don't group bards that won't CC if we need it, that is a huge chunk of the class kit so I really recommend trying it out. Isn't too bad once you get the hand of having carpal tunnel!

You will want to make !stopcast macros (i dont think thats the right syntax) for your songs so you don't have to hit the same button twice to change songs as you can't reliably use Melody to CC with.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Orty posted:

I am guessing any revamped zones like Nektulous are the new versions right? Is the cash shop open as well, so people can buy exp boosts and bags and such?

Revamped zones kinda depend. If it's an actual zone layout revamp, then yes, it's in. Some of revamps where they just updated mobs though, unlock with expansions. Yes, cash shop is open, buy exp boosts, bags, etc.

Also you don't twist anymore - you use /melody if things are stable. You can get 4 songs going with no gaps, or go up another song or two if you don't mind one dropping a little.

onesixtwo posted:

A tl;dr to being the Best Bard There Ever Was would be like this:

-Don't have an enchanter in your group.
-Equip wind instrument, charm the second mob pulled into the room / whichever isn't being marked to tank first by puller (typically first in the room).
-Send charmed pet to attack first target
-AE Mez the third-fourth-fifth add
-Manasong tick w/ Lute (i think that improves it)
-Tab to your pet, put wind instrument on, re-charm
-Make pet attack
-AE Mez
-Murder next mob

You kind of run the show. decide which targets get killed (charm the one you want if multiple run into the room, quickly) because your AE mez isn't perfect and will be resisted (maxing wind instruments is extremely required at all times). I think Wind is the instrument for charm / mez, at least. It has been a few years since I played bard, but I CC'd all of MM, SolB, LGuk, etc back when I did. Also you get to refuse pulling as bard because of Manasong, so CC is really the only role left. I'll be honest I don't group bards that won't CC if we need it, that is a huge chunk of the class kit so I really recommend trying it out. Isn't too bad once you get the hand of having carpal tunnel!

You will want to make !stopcast macros (i dont think thats the right syntax) for your songs so you don't have to hit the same button twice to change songs as you can't reliably use Melody to CC with.

Bards don't have AE mez. Maybe they used to, back in the day? In DoDH (which Phinny just got) we just got a "viral" mez, though. But that's from like a 65+ task series.

Instruments don't affect the mana regen portion of songs (nor haste, nor slow, probably a few other statuses). They'll affect the other things the songs do though.

Charm takes mana, and later on it's a non-issue, but early on, it's quite noticeable, so you can't charm constantly. It's more of just a quick CC option.

Mez is typically wind, but looking at magelo, later ones are often Sing too.

Also, just in general - groups are much better at murdering poo poo these days. Unless you overpull, it's LESS exp to worry so much about only having 1 active mob at a time. Do what your group needs, absolutely, but any group should be able to handle 2-3 mobs in camp just fine, letting the bard play more haste, overhaste (later), attack, etc songs to help the group kill quicker and recover quicker (mana / hp songs, ac songs).

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Well poo poo, no AE mez on bard absolutely throws that for a twist. Sorry last bard I leveled to 60 was on p99 where AE Mez either killed your group (red server) or made you a hero CC. Either way it was a winning button to press.

E: going off http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html?name=&type=brd&level=2&opt=And+Higher&expansion=original&action=search you would get charm at level 27, up to level 37 mobs (so that’ll service you through MM -> UGUK ranges, could work for LGUK Bedroom / gargoyles) for zero mana cost.

Single target Mez at 15, Single mez at 28, Charm at 39 up to 51 (60mana cost, will drain you because bard mana regen was awful back in the day), mez at 40, and mez at 53.

No AE Mez in modern age bards really does suck won’t lie, but you can just add in more tab -> single mez -> tab single mez -> re-charm pet for the same workflow on my last post for successful CCing. Don’t underestimate the power of charmed pets while they are mana free for sure.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 19, 2018

Orty
May 14, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Also, just in general - groups are much better at murdering poo poo these days. Unless you overpull, it's LESS exp to worry so much about only having 1 active mob at a time. Do what your group needs, absolutely, but any group should be able to handle 2-3 mobs in camp just fine, letting the bard play more haste, overhaste (later), attack, etc songs to help the group kill quicker and recover quicker (mana / hp songs, ac songs).

That is the type of bard I remember playing. I would throw out mez if needed but mostly I was there for regen and haste, and of course the tiny bit of melee dps. I assume most people are just expecting that out of a bard.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

People seem to like bard pullers on Agnarr. Selos plus their lull is drat good. CC still seems incredibly useful where Agnarr is at, especially if you don't have a shaman/enchanter strength slow.

Bards are awesome and can pretty well adapt to fit in with any group. Rogues are way more fun if you want to see big numbers though

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Okay the Bazaar is entirely new to me. I never played much of Velious back when it was originally released, and stopped playing on Agnarr for a break just before Velious. Luclin was completely missed as a result. I love the bazaar so much holy crap.

Fit out a rogue set for ~1kp. Last thing I need is an Iksar Hide Mask but those don't seem to be listed. Anyone happen to have one they'd be willing to loan or sell off? I know it's a simple farm cycle, but if someone has one collecting dust save me the hour of killing foragers in TT.

I'm going to be leveling up a rogue with a friend doing bst, we will be boxing our mains (cleric / druid) with them. I'll try to remember to post our names when we get started so others leveling can join in on the exp.

Also, how difficult is completing the spawned Fay encounter in TDeep these days? My friend's druid is literally the Fay fight away from having his epic complete, we're hoping to somehow put together a group of people to help that out. Do we pretty much need to find a guild still? We stopped logging in when our previous guild turned out to be massively incompetent at handling loot rules and consistently broke them for alts over mains so welp, we got passed over for both cleric and druid epic final fights!

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

onesixtwo posted:

Okay the Bazaar is entirely new to me. I never played much of Velious back when it was originally released, and stopped playing on Agnarr for a break just before Velious. Luclin was completely missed as a result. I love the bazaar so much holy crap.

Fit out a rogue set for ~1kp. Last thing I need is an Iksar Hide Mask but those don't seem to be listed. Anyone happen to have one they'd be willing to loan or sell off? I know it's a simple farm cycle, but if someone has one collecting dust save me the hour of killing foragers in TT.

I'm going to be leveling up a rogue with a friend doing bst, we will be boxing our mains (cleric / druid) with them. I'll try to remember to post our names when we get started so others leveling can join in on the exp.

Also, how difficult is completing the spawned Fay encounter in TDeep these days? My friend's druid is literally the Fay fight away from having his epic complete, we're hoping to somehow put together a group of people to help that out. Do we pretty much need to find a guild still? We stopped logging in when our previous guild turned out to be massively incompetent at handling loot rules and consistently broke them for alts over mains so welp, we got passed over for both cleric and druid epic final fights!

I did it back in luclin with myself and 2 other people, a decked out druid and decked out monk, both had full/nearfull VT gear, basically it's easy.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Cool. We're not even on the plot line of decked out, but sounds like if I make a few friends or recruit helpful people out of general it shouldn't be too scary. Thanks!

Now to farm yet another DE mask.. I thought I was done with these !!

e: oh hey! they finally fixed my broken racial Hide on my Enchanter! I race changed from High Elf -> DE for REASONS that made sense (i really wanted hide, gently caress farming a gob ring) but Hide was always broken and never had a successful use. Petitioned it and they said it was a bug and to submit a report. Turns out that worked! aaa I forgot it always shows ( ) around your name regardless of success. It is still broken.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 21, 2018

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Solarin posted:

People seem to like bard pullers on Agnarr. Selos plus their lull is drat good. CC still seems incredibly useful where Agnarr is at, especially if you don't have a shaman/enchanter strength slow.

Bards are awesome and can pretty well adapt to fit in with any group. Rogues are way more fun if you want to see big numbers though

Interesting. Because all the groups I have had for the past few weeks are just "pull literally everything and we'll sort it out with damages.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Are you playing with guild groups and do you use AE stuns to manage everything? I usually like small group stuff at the most so I'm sure my pov is different

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Patch notes: - Fixed an issue where characters that had previously changed race did not have their innate skills updated to the expected values.

:aaaaa: maybe i can hide?! I expect no still.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Started up on Agnarr with a bard. Thinking about maybe just doing rogue after all though. Asked around about if how I can play bard is at all what people would be ok with, and pretty much everyone said no. Some even getting really aggressive with it, telling me to just quit because I obviously suck at the class and the game isn't for me.

People seem to be REALLY insulted over the fact that I don't enjoy and kinda suck at pulling or CCing as bard. Even when I mention I would try to learn. Not sure if I touched a nerve with the "EVERYONE MUST PLAY PERFECTLY OR ELSE" Min/Max crowd or what.

Not sure what to do. I love bard but I don't want to go around being a sucky bard. Back when I used to play the group composition of my friends allowed me to just be support without having to worry about pulling or CCing much. Rogue would be fine to play and ive always wanted to. Just lack of the utility I am used to with a bard (selos), and the supposed difficulty in finding groups worries me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You saying you are actively against using the classes two most useful roles is kind of insane to be honest. It’s like saying are you ok with me playing a warrior if I just DPS and don’t want to tank.

I said earlier that I learned to play a bard from scratch on Phinny. I got the hang of pulling and CCing pretty quickly. It’s not hard, it just takes effort. I suggest rolling a bard and learning how to play it well. You’ll have a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Orty posted:

Started up on Agnarr with a bard. Thinking about maybe just doing rogue after all though. Asked around about if how I can play bard is at all what people would be ok with, and pretty much everyone said no. Some even getting really aggressive with it, telling me to just quit because I obviously suck at the class and the game isn't for me.

People seem to be REALLY insulted over the fact that I don't enjoy and kinda suck at pulling or CCing as bard. Even when I mention I would try to learn. Not sure if I touched a nerve with the "EVERYONE MUST PLAY PERFECTLY OR ELSE" Min/Max crowd or what.

Not sure what to do. I love bard but I don't want to go around being a sucky bard. Back when I used to play the group composition of my friends allowed me to just be support without having to worry about pulling or CCing much. Rogue would be fine to play and ive always wanted to. Just lack of the utility I am used to with a bard (selos), and the supposed difficulty in finding groups worries me.

I realize I probably provided you with the most aggressive toned answer in the thread, but honestly it’s just because playing that kind of Bard was my favorite EQ leveling experience. Also being I am a min/max kind of player to the point that I am *still* trying to convince myself it’s okay to do a Dwarf Rogue instead of Barb because, 13 strength isn’t THAT much these days. No idea where I’ll land on that still, and I already got the dwarf’s DE mask lastnight. It’s silly, but I hope I didn’t come off as one of the assholes from general. I’m at least trying to explain how you can get the practice to be good at it instead of just writing it off all the same.

Yes the EQ community is gonna have some pretty rough and loud opinions, thats kind of inherited territory with the game being as old as it is by now, people know the inside and outs of the game and don’t like wasting time, some irony here for sure. I never knew bards were expected to pull in this era, but every group seems to request a bard for pulling since I’ve been idling around in Nexus. Turns out their class kit was really well designed for that specific role, and the game still does run off a holy trinity design for MMOs. Can’t really look at the base offerings given in a class, and willfully ignore the role out of indifference. Another example would be a Paladin / SK ‘dps’. They’ll always be lovely DPS, but excellent tanks. Not their fault their kit was intended to be a Tank.

Bards fell into the category of support / jack of all trades / not best at anything in the old eras. Monks were always the pullers (Feign Death) when I played EQ, because Bards just sat at base pumping mana and regen so the group could keep chain pulling. Bards had a leg up on Druids (mana song stacking with Clarity), but those two classes are extremely defined by player knowledge and skill, I’d argue more so than any other EQ class. The class is given so many options you need to be able to utilize them all to optimize it.

It definitely looks like they retooled the Bard with AAs / new songs to pull with from my understanding, which means my old ‘nah i have mana song up I’m not pulling,’ excuse is bogus and if I rolled a bard, I’d do it knowing I would be pulling at least 50% of the time now. So if you absolutely don’t want to CC, or Pull, I honestly don’t recommend you play a bard. It’s not fun joining a group and having to be replaced after 5-6 pulls because you either refuse to, or cannot do the function the group expected you to perform before recruiting you. Unless you’re in a pre-made or grouping with friends, classes are expected to do their intended / asked role or keep looking for a compatible group.

Again all of this should be taken with a grain of salt. I am the kind of person that would feel bad about, but follow through with kicking you from my group if it turns out you refused to do the role I assumed you knew how to do. I’m definitely more of the nicer variety of that, and would make sure BEFORE you wasted the effort that we were on the same page, but I can’t say the same for others. I’ve taught many bards I recruited out of lfg how to CC to my liking, it isn’t that hard, honestly.