Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Bulgakov posted:

lol

pay them enough to be able to afford to not work while being sick but lol no USA

In NYC you have to give people 5 days of paid sick leave, but you don't have to have a separate time off pool. So at my old company they charged sick days against your vacation, and then every winter the office was a hellish pool of nasal snorts, coughing, and low level respiratory disease. The CEO refused to allow any other policy though, because he was convinced everyone would just use their sick days as "extra vacation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's esp amusing because there are numerous studies that show that unlimited paid sick leave leads to fewer days taken off overall compared to literally any other scheme

you'd think these chucklefucks would actually be doing some reading about this stuff but noooope that's not how you ceo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just remembered this

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's esp amusing because there are numerous studies that show that unlimited paid sick leave leads to fewer days taken off overall compared to literally any other scheme

you'd think these chucklefucks would actually be doing some reading about this stuff but noooope that's not how you ceo

i mean it's not like there are a ton of studies out there saying his bad open offices are for the last 20 years, AND YET

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i'm just glad that this flu season is killing a buncha boomers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

i mean it's not like there are a ton of studies out there saying his bad open offices are for the last 20 years, AND YET

my last place was open office and 50% contractors so yeah I got sick more than I ever did before

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
reminder that we are now in the last 48 hours of dasharez0nes card game kickstarter which is already 500%+ funded

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dasharez0ne/da-share-z0ne-the-devils-level-card-game/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xarn posted:

Is "think about the small business" the "think of the children" but for economical policies?

ho yeah

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chris Knight posted:

Not 20, more like 200 years

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

my last place was open office and 50% contractors so yeah I got sick more than I ever did before

is screaming SHUT THE gently caress UP until your vocal cords bleed "sick" or "injured"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Chris Knight posted:

They aren't building open offices out of a belief they're more productive. They are building them because they're super cheap and you can fit more heads / sqft.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just remembered this

i think this is a joke app that came from a one-line tweet reading "tinder but it's for people who want to fight"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

p good comments lol https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16406946

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

0:54 imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

mrmcd posted:

They aren't building open offices out of a belief they're more productive. They are building them because they're super cheap and you can fit more heads / sqft.

also they get to look at everyone all the time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz7_3n7xyDg&t=24s 0:24

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

skookumchuck 19 hours ago [-]

> But unwritten rules fail for people on the margins, and falls apart at scale.
How ever did society survive before written CoC's?

andrepd 14 hours ago [-]

Badly. I for one am glad Bronze Age people had the brilliant idea to write down their laws, as I'm glad Romans and Byzantines decided to spread their legal system around.

skookumchuck 8 hours ago [-]

I suspect we're the first to attempt to codify rude behavior.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

choicest contextless quote has got to be "Your local HAM radio group isn't being infiltrated by social justice activists"

:stonk:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

choicest contextless quote has got to be "Your local HAM radio group isn't being infiltrated by social justice activists"

Actually,

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
without knowing jack poo poo about it, I’ve always assumed that the ham radio scene is made up of a bunch of turbo-art bell types.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

President Beep posted:

without knowing jack poo poo about it, I’ve always assumed that the ham radio scene is made up of a bunch of turbo-art bell types.

graybeards with ailments running windows 95

at least that was the joke 10 years ago

now it's probably graybeards with ailments running windows xp

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

CQtie CQtie

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The_Franz posted:

ty. that’s very concise.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ham radio is irl mailing lists.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

1% retired engineers with 200 acres in a lovely state megastations <-- art bell is here
2% fpv nerds that dont actually care about radio they just want the license
2% wifi hackers, same
5% insane paranoid preppers that refuse to talk about anything but guns and tactical bugout plans
20% old guys that spent nine years getting this repeater license and you are NOT allowed on this machine
30% just dudes that hook a computer to a radio and think it's neat, they don't work in the RF industry, they have real lives
40% got their license on a lark because of a Wired or popular science article, bought a cheap handheld, got bored with the above 60% real fast and threw it in a drawer

The_Franz posted:

at least that was the joke 10 years ago

now it's probably graybeards with ailments running windows xp

oddly enough i run windows 10 and absolutely everything i need runs well on it
i also run 7 on my little baby thinkpad, no issues

Shaggar posted:

ham radio is irl mailing lists.

the local mesh network group uses google groups as their communication medium boy loving howdy the sad irony

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have an uncle who was in a “CB club” back in the 70s, whatever the gently caress that actually is. he carries a bugout bag now. the really sad part is that he has his son doing it too.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

my 78 year old high school chemistry teacher had a ham radio in the classroom. once in a while he would turn it on during class and we would try to talk to people. that was a long time ago and i can still remember his callsign:

"this is al, alpha lima. wa8weg whisky alpha eight whiskey echo golf"

he also had a jacob's ladder on his desk and occasionally used the transformer for it to shock one particular student when he dozed off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
CB guys in the 70s were loving COOL

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The_Franz posted:

he also had a jacob's ladder on his desk and occasionally used the transformer for it to shock one particular student when he dozed off
literally :science:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

CB guys in the 70s were loving COOL

that's fuckin' badass

what does "73's" refer to?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
73 is our codified farewell. 88's means "hugs and kisses" and is used a little less frequently today.

a lot of hams use 72 now, 'not quite goodbye, we'll talk again'

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

88's? what the gently caress? :tinfoil:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ham radio sounds cool to me except the part where you talk to people

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like ham.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Pollyanna posted:

88's? what the gently caress? :tinfoil:

Heil Hugs

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
long ago when i was a nerdy young lad i tried a cb radio. i went with my #1 conversation starter at the time and asked if anyone listening liked video games. some gruff trucker (who may have mistaken my prepubescent boy voice for female) replied, "you wanna play with my joystick?"

so yea cb radio was a precursor to the modern internet in a variety of ways

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

when i was younger an older coworker had a cb in his pickup truck. myself and a friend who i also worked with would sit and talk on the thing during lunch, trolling truckers on the nearby freeway.

good, clean fun. not like the dumb crap kids do nowadays!

:bahgawd:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

flakeloaf posted:

johnny played keyboard
jenny played nothing because the industry's a misogynistic shithole
name of the band is nazis and weirdos all the way down
everybody tell me have you heard
pop goes tech bubble

i'm still working on fixing the meter

a good post

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mrmcd posted:

In NYC you have to give people 5 days of paid sick leave, but you don't have to have a separate time off pool. So at my old company they charged sick days against your vacation, and then every winter the office was a hellish pool of nasal snorts, coughing, and low level respiratory disease. The CEO refused to allow any other policy though, because he was convinced everyone would just use their sick days as "extra vacation".

the company I worked for in 1998-2000 tried to combine sick leave and vacation time with the argument that ultimately we would be able to get more of one or the other if we needed it and ultimately it was good

it was one of the things that made us organize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and yet there are still people who argue that obviously whatever rules and policies companies have must be optimal because profit incentive means they’ll always switch to more optimal policies over less optimal

(I recently had to deal with someone making the claim that media companies “must know what they’re doing” when deciding to remove films and shows from distribution during certain windows—like when Marvel films become unavailable for digital rental in the lead up to a new film’s release—because obviously they wouldn’t be doing things that aren’t backed up by solid numbers and cause them to not make as much money or even lose money. “they’re idiots who think they know what they’re doing and won’t be told otherwise” didn’t go over well)