Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

for a feminist critique of idol anime do not forget to check out:
-Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Ai Mai Mii
-Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Dai Ni Maku Ai Mai Mii: Mousou Catastrophe
-Choboraunyopomi Gekijou Dai San Maku Ai Mai Mii: Surgical Friends

don't forgot to like and subscribe if you want more content like this!
speaking of things that are funnier than pop team epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnacondaHL posted:

In the same vein, the Hoshino Girl Drop segments at the end serve as the palette cleanser, providing important contrast to the show: its premise is generic as possible yet still slightly off, and they have never once changed the first and second half versions of them. An ending should let you reflect on what you just watched and prep you for the next episode, and I argue, compared to what a strange actual show Pop Team Epic is, that the Hoshino Girl Drop segments do just that.

I...disagree? Hoshiiro Girl Drop actually looks pretty interesting, and they throw in enough interesting visuals and plot details in the ep previews that it sounds like it'd be a funny, enjoyable show to watch. The point is that they're keeping up the facade that they pulled in the first episode with the fakeout OP, and I really wouldn't be surprised if the final episode does something with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

I never thought I'd hear the adjective miscible to describe an anime
phos's arms

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You're making this show out to be more sophisticated than it is with this post, I think.

Not sophisticated, but it is comedy, and they do have a plan for the show.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom posted:

I also never felt that the Hoshino Girldrop references were being flippant to idol shows because they clearly care about that or they wouldn't keep doing them every week, or make them look so good. This week's Next Time On Hoshino Girl Drop introduced a new idol group and some of the girls in punk/goth clothes and man that looks cool. Hell they did an extended bit on Popuko becoming an idol with multiple costume references to different groups. Granted the end of that bit is Popuko Becomes A Clone Army With Pipimi Uses Her Idol Power To Become World Leader, but I feel there's more there than "Man we're so much better than idol trash"

This is my take on Hoshiiro Girldrop as well, though i don't know about the author's personal feelings, so i can't give a difinitive expression on that.

The idol segment in episode 3 was a mokumentary of a specific idol documentary that used the same musical cues and everything, so it was more taking the piss of of those documentaries than the idol industry, really.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

Like the producer specifically said that the OP is as cool as possible to contrast with the rest of the show, and I think it's clear that they booked voice actors based on which segments are funniest to hear in their voices. Pop Team Epic is a funny show I like it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Julias posted:

This is my take on Hoshiiro Girldrop as well, though i don't know about the author's personal feelings, so i can't give a difinitive expression on that.

I can't find which series it was, but the manga artist did promotional art for an idol series so I think he loves it.

There's definitely some weirdos who are taking the shows aggression towards the audience as some kind of gently caress you to anime, and like celebrating it for that, but that's not what it's about lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Poptepic didn't really make me laugh very consistently for the 3 episodes I watched :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Fair enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

I also never felt that the Hoshino Girldrop references were being flippant to idol shows because they clearly care about that or they wouldn't keep doing them every week, or make them look so good. This week's Next Time On Hoshino Girl Drop introduced a new idol group and some of the girls in punk/goth clothes and man that looks cool. Hell they did an extended bit on Popuko becoming an idol with multiple costume references to different groups. Granted the end of that bit is Popuko Becomes A Clone Army With Pipimi Uses Her Idol Power To Become World Leader, but I feel there's more there than "Man we're so much better than idol trash"
maybe im just projecting some weird takes ive seen onto the show

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

One of my favorite things about Pop Team Epic is that it's allowing and paying weird creators to keep making their weird poo poo. Not only are they giving Bkub an adaption of their goofy little gag manga, but also they have people making felt dolls of the two, they have a team doing (what best I can tell) stop motion music videos, they have the AC guys doing their notebook sketches, they have the entire separate team doing the Bob Epic Team sketches, they show the French guy working at the CG studio, they show the voice actors in the booth, they have Sumire Uesaka doing the opening and voice acting, just a ton of people have come together to adapt a gag manga where the faces don't really change all that much.

I understand if the constant references do nothing for you, but even those have gags to them as they transition from a Tokimeki Memorial-esque reference to a Donkey Kong Country 2 reference, a Pokemon reference morphs into a Seiken Densetsu 3 reference. It's not just wink and nodding at you, it's having so much fun with itself and I feel like all of the teams behind it are having fun too and I'm swept up with it.

It's a fun art piece that is also sometimes animated

this is all cool and I'm glad it's doing those things

not watching it tho, the kind of humor it does is 100% not funny to me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that's fair.

Like most things, I found Pop Team Epic fans to be insufferable. Every time I see a take that it's "shitposting but anime" I want to die. That's the most useless sentence in the world. The great goddess gave us words for a reason, loving use them.

If you don't like the comedy, then you don't like the comedy and that's fine too. I don't even watch the second half and I like having a goofy eleven minute show on the weekends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the weirdest pop team epic take ive seen is someone posting a screencap of some random detective conan episode from 2004 where some lady's saying "Women want their men to be happy, men want their women to be safe" and the person who tweeted it going THIS IS WHY WE NEED POP TEAM EPIC ANIME NEEDS AN ENEMA

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Julias posted:

I...disagree? Hoshiiro Girl Drop actually looks pretty interesting, and they throw in enough interesting visuals and plot details in the ep previews that it sounds like it'd be a funny, enjoyable show to watch. The point is that they're keeping up the facade that they pulled in the first episode with the fakeout OP, and I really wouldn't be surprised if the final episode does something with it.

No, I agree with all this. i.e. Hoshino Girl Drop is a joke to state: "Viewers, this is what you actually want, isn't it? An interesting fun show with cute anime girls? ...Well too bad here's more of our poo poo!"

But I guess I go one step further which is where you may disagree: it sounds like a show that would be funny and enjoyable to watch, because it is presented and marketed well, but I'm almost guaranteed to not watch and enjoy it if a full length version were made. This concept is parallel to exactly what Pop Team Epic is for me.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

the weirdest pop team epic take ive seen is someone posting a screencap of some random detective conan episode from 2004 where some lady's saying "Women want their men to be happy, men want their women to be safe" and the person who tweeted it going THIS IS WHY WE NEED POP TEAM EPIC ANIME NEEDS AN ENEMA
people who watch anime are crazy people

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

I mean, it does need an enema but :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like Pop Team Epic because I'm So Online that my sense of humor has been warped and I find all those surrealist memes you see fuckin' hilarious.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Endorph posted:

phos's arms

oh poo poo I almost missed this post loving lmao :golfclap:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

like if you want an Actual Take then it does kind of rub me the wrong way not because its mocking idol anime but because the entire sum of the joke seems to be 'boy this show would suck if it were this instead' but the show they're presenting in those previews and stuff seems a whole lot funnier and more interesting than pop team epic. plus the latest one really did lean into aikatsu stuff, things like all the girls having a specific 'brand,' the character designs, etc. maybe its just because ive been watching aikatsu lately but it definitely felt like an influence, and pivoting from jokes about love live/idolmaster to jokes about a show aimed at actual little girls felt weird. especially when, again, the show they're mocking is much funnier than it and the show they're presenting seems like it would actually be better than the show they're presenting as the funnier alternative.

like i wasnt big on osomatsu-san either but i thought its idol anime jokes were pretty cutting because they were based in actual facts of the industry and the culture, and gintama has some good idol anime gags too. the scene where the nerds have an argument about whether its more pathetic to be in love with a real life idol or an idol from an anime is hilarious, thats a great gintama episode. im not opposed to poking fun, pop team epic's gags about them just seem both lazy and coming from kind of a weird place. I'm sorry?

I think it makes idol references cause bkub is a big fan of PriPara, which has the same foundation as Aikatsu(girls having brands and all that). I haven’t been watching pop team epic, so I don’t know how far the references go.

bkub’s done a bunch of pripara collabs in the past from what I hear.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Allarion posted:

I think it makes idol references cause bkub is a big fan of PriPara, which has the same foundation as Aikatsu(girls having brands and all that). I haven’t been watching pop team epic, so I don’t know how far the references go.

bkub’s done a bunch of pripara collabs in the past from what I hear.

Oh yea! That's what I was looking for

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I am enjoying Pop Team Epic a lot, enough that I actually watch both A and B sides every week.

I can certainly see the humor being entirely hit-or-miss with people though. The reactions to the show that I've read remind me a bit of how people responded to Sakamoto desu ga; If you're not a fan of absurdity for the sake of absurdity, then the comedy might come off as uninspired "lol so random" or whatever. Personally I'm a sucker for that kind of humor, especially when it's in a format that leaves me amazed it actually got funding and is airing on TV in Japan. The ongoing voice acting schtick is amazing, and as Expect My Mom pointed out it's really cool that all of these artists from outside of the anime industry are getting their work showcased in what seems to be a popular show.

Hoshiiro Girldrop is a great little parody. It dances on that Poe's Law line between poking fun at a multitude of modern anime tropes and being a show that people actually want to see fully animated.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Watch Pugyuru instead to experience true "anime kino"

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

people who watch anime are crazy people

i can only venture a guess but its probably someone who doesnt really watch anime but reads popteamepic going for the sick takedown

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

pugyuru is good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I watched a couple of episodes, I found it boring in comparison to pop team epic :shrug:

Though this is more of an issue with the anime adaptation specifically- the Pugyuru comic is fine enough, and genuinely enjoyable from what I've read of it.

This is why it's important to adapt source material properly for its respective medium.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Even the non Hellshake Yano level bits I've liked individually when people link them on twitter but it doesn't keep my attention for a whole 11/24 minutes. So keep linking pop team epic clips I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ah, more things funnier than pop team epic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RME posted:

ah, more things funnier than pop team epic
turn on your monitor

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

turn on your monitor

Why? He’s clearly having a pretty great time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

RME FTW

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

sweet osomatsu ref

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm a big fan of the classic anime, "Great Wave Off Kanagawa"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

I'm a big fan of the classic anime, "Great Wave Off Kanagawa"

There's a pink haired girl with what might be horns there. Two of the paintings are clearly referencing Osomatsu and Violet Evergarden, so that could be a Franxx thing?

Definitely seems to be a current season anime bit.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

this is incredibly badass

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7GqbDVMNXQ

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this count did anyone else watch Fullmetal Alchemist on netflix yet? I thought they did a good job mostly, Winry was a little umm cliche I guess.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Neo Yokio season 2 looking good so far

real opinion: I express my reserved hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
huh, between that and the other pv that's looking a lot cooler than I expected

• Locked thread