Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got a Harmony 610 that's starting to go bad ("right" no long registers). What's the current replacement for it? Just looking for basic RF functions to control 3-4 devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

buildmorefarms posted:

And it if plays nice with the Harmony (without the need for flirc or similar) then that seals the deal.
Just as a PSA, you may very well end up buying a FLIRC anyway to round out Kodi commands that lack without, depending on how you use your Harmony (what buttons you’re used to using).

That said, yeah, a Shield + FLIRC is the best combo, period. Full custom options.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Tapedump posted:

Just as a PSA, you may very well end up buying a FLIRC anyway to round out Kodi commands that lack without, depending on how you use your Harmony (what buttons you’re used to using).

That said, yeah, a Shield + FLIRC is the best combo, period. Full custom options.

Point taken; I'm hoping my needs are generic enough (control Kodi at a fairly basic level, with a kb&m on hand for emergencies/edge cases) that it won't be necessary - thanks for the heads-up nonetheless.

buildmorefarms fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 20, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The biggest thing I use flirc for with Kodi on my Shield is context menu.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

The biggest thing I use flirc for with Kodi on my Shield is context menu.

You don't need flirc for that if you use a hamony hub.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you have a remote with the android menu button on it, does it not operate the Kodi content menu?

I use Amazon remotes with my Shield, but I've never bothered to try Kodi with it... (https://www.amazon.com/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Stick/dp/B00NO8JJZW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519101479&sr=8-5&keywords=fire+stick+remote - this one pairs perfectly fine with the Shield as a WiFi Direct device, even the microphone works)

Amazon remotes have the Android Menu button on them...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don Lapre posted:

You don't need flirc for that if you use a hamony hub.

Correct.

stevewm posted:

If you have a remote with the android menu button on it, does it not operate the Kodi content menu?

I use Amazon remotes with my Shield, but I've never bothered to try Kodi with it... (https://www.amazon.com/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Stick/dp/B00NO8JJZW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1519101479&sr=8-5&keywords=fire+stick+remote - this one pairs perfectly fine with the Shield as a WiFi Direct device, even the microphone works)

Amazon remotes have the Android Menu button on them...

A flirc is cheaper than that thing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You don't need to use a flirc but I found it easiest to set everything up the way I wanted with the Shield and Kodi.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Correct.

A flirc is cheaper than that thing.

Always this too:. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...UY-L&ref=plSrch

$14... same buttons. Just without a microphone. Pairs to the shield as a Bluetooth device.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I got a Harmony 610 that's starting to go bad ("right" no long registers). What's the current replacement for it? Just looking for basic RF functions to control 3-4 devices.

This is still the only basic one that they sell that I know of. I'm thinking about buying 10 extra to just keep for when mine die.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVECU0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, that's the one that I got my parents (that I really need to reprogram) and I'm pretty happy with it. It's cheaper than I remember it being a couple years ago.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Wiggly posted:

This is still the only basic one that they sell that I know of. I'm thinking about buying 10 extra to just keep for when mine die.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OVECU0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I just bought my third Harmony 650. The first was so good and lasted so long despite many drops living in a house with young kids. Programming it is simple, yet as customizable as you want. Combined with editing Kodi hot keys, you can make this thing do anything, even run scripts. Sadly my first one had a nasty accident after six years, so I bought a replacement and decided that it’s so cool I’d get one for the bedroom tv/pc as well.

Can’t recommend highly enough!

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I have a Harmony 350. It's amazing, but I get a lot of dropped inputs, specifically when turning on and off my TV. It's like there's either (a) no effect or (b) a 3 second delay before powering the TV off, which never happens with the authentic remote. I can't tell if it's a Harmony thing in general or if it is my remote specifically getting kid-smacked one too many times. All other buttons work at zero delay.

A 650 for $40 USD is a helluva good price though...

edit: Oh, I probably should have paid more attention. Seems Amazon reviews for the 350 are peppered with identical complaints to mine from the beginning. The 350 only interacts with one device at a time, so "power off all units" only hits the receiver and not the TV. Sometimes.

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 22, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The 350 only allows for one activity. I could probably get by with that now that 95% of my media is through my HTPC, but it sure is nice to switch between it, Blu-ray, my turn table, and any streaming stick I may wanna add in the future with the press of a single button. Definitely worth the :10bux:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The 350 is great for programming poo poo into another harmony like service menu codes

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How do I get my Windows Intel NUC to output to a 4k resolution? Plugged into my new C7 with a new HDMI cable but it still just does 1080p.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
New HDMI, or new HDMI 2.0? Are you trying to output at 30hz or 60hz? What generation of NUC?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
From my understanding there's really no such thing as a 2.0 cable, but it is a high speed cable and should be able to do 4K.

I'm just trying to pick 4k from the display settings but it's not there.

The NUC is this one https://ark.intel.com/products/74483/Intel-NUC-Kit-DC53427HYE

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
That's a pretty old one. A quick Googling indicates that the HD 4000 doesn't have 4k as a supported output resolution, but somebody pulled off shenanigans to make it work. https://communities.intel.com/thread/56530

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I have a Plex server on my Windows machine. I want to download videos from the server on my iPhone, but I don't want to pay for a Plex Pass. Are there any iOS apps for local sync from media servers?

E: VLC for iOS does this.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 7, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Plex VR is a thing.

https://www.plex.tv/features/vr/

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Yea, definitely do this instead of bug fixes

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Or making Android TV not suck.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Or making DVR more reliable

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

it seems like all these projects chase features instead of building up a solid core.

Gotta get that VC money!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any recommendations for a low profile, preferably fan-less, graphics card that can output 4k @ 60 Hz over HDMI? I'm currently using a HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 in my HTPC, and it doesn't look like it's possible with this.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-GT1030-2G-CSM/dp/B0716ZH99K Maybe not low enough profile for you with that massive heatsink, but the 1030 can (they claim) do up to 8K@60.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

G-Prime posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-GT1030-2G-CSM/dp/B0716ZH99K Maybe not low enough profile for you with that massive heatsink, but the 1030 can (they claim) do up to 8K@60.

It actually doesn't need to be low profile. Think I mentioned that because the current card is low profile, but the case actually has plenty of room. Length is the only real concern: 9" - 9.5" tops, so I think the linked card would work. Fan-less also isn't a hard requirement as long as the fan is essentially inaudible from a few feet away in a sound dampened case when streaming/decoding 4k. I guess the other requirement I missed is HDCP 2.2 support.

fe: I'm reading now that to stream Netflix @ 4k you need at least a 1050 w/ 3 GB RAM (which means 1050 Ti minimum) :aaaaa:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

4K streaming from Amazon/Netflix on an HTPC is a shitshow. It's part of the reason I retired my HTPC in favor of Roku. Get a Roku (or an Nvidia Shield) with the money you would spend on a 1050 Ti instead imo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mods please change thread title to "Don't get an HTPC"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheScott2K posted:

Mods please change thread title to "Don't get an HTPC"

I remember spending a ton of time putting together a HTPC, actually buying a nice home theater case, just because I wanted to watch downloaded TV shows on Plex easier. Then the next month Chromecast came out.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Shield all the way..

Does everything my HTPC did and more... and better to boot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you're heavily invested in Apple skip the shield and go with an ATV4k.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

If you're heavily invested in Apple skip the shield and go with an ATV4k.

That can't run Kodi, can it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

IUG posted:

No idea but it runs plex perfectly and the tv app is great when you have a provider that gives you third party app access.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

IUG posted:

Kodi's natural habitat is a weird ARM SOC-powered plastic box with a sticker showing the logo of a company whose name you've never heard of that runs phone Android and comes with a tiny Bluetooth keyboard for some reason

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

No idea but it runs plex perfectly and the tv app is great when you have a provider that gives you third party app access.

iTunes 4k movies are pretty great too. Given the capabilities of actual 4k TVs these days that's the only reason you should have one I think.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
AppleTv4k runs Plex and Emby just fine. Once those apps came out for the new AppleTvs I felt that the usefulness of Kodi has come to an end, at least for me.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xgalaxy posted:

AppleTv4k runs Plex and Emby just fine. Once those apps came out for the new AppleTvs I felt that the usefulness of Kodi has come to an end, at least for me.

Same. My HTPC is now for steam games and the occasional reddit sports stream through a browser.

E: my one complaint is Netflix doesn't integrate into tv.app but that's not Apples fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The main problem with both plex and emby (I use Emby) is that their ux is pretty bad compared to what you can set up in Kodi for non-nerds to easily understand and use. Plex is better out of the two in this regard.

It's unfortunate because it'd be much nicer to be able to just use plex or emby because the set up is faster and easier than it is with Kodi...but you spend much more time using these things then you do setting them up.