Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, there did seem to be a master of the ceremonies who they could have asked about rule clarification, but Killmonger killed him.

(re: Same topic as all the previous posts.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

201.8M 3-day, tracking for $235 4 day. $404 global launch. 2nd highest Sunday ever.

Jesus Christ those numbers.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It probably doesn't really matter whether or not he technically lost the first fight; if he lost, then just consider it a rematch. There are no established rematch rules, after all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This (and Avengers 3) is why Disney probably won't lose too much sleep over Solo when it bombs. :v:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I think something that gets lost in the discussion about W'Kabi is

that aside from his issues with Klaw, dude's a border cop who whines about refugees earlier in the film. I'm sure he doesn't really care about Killmonger's cause and by the point he turns against T'Challa, simply sees it as the best way to keep the rest of the world out of Wakanda. He'd probably prefer to keep on keeping on with hiding, but it's pretty clear by that point that T'Challa, who's done poo poo like bring Ross into the country (and Bucky, but I'm pretty sure no one except T'Challa and Shuri know about that) is not going to do that. His choices by that point are either to let T'Challa keep that up, or to support an effort that will have those who might be interested in actually coming to Wakanda as refugees do their own thing elsewhere.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 19, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
No, seriously, Jesus Christ those numbers:

Highest MCU opening except for Avengers, beating out even Age of Ultron (and Civil War, which was Avengers 2.5 let's be real). Highest opening of any Marvel solo film by $27 million (over Iron Man 3). Highest opening of any Marvel solo debut by $103 million (over Iron Man, unless you count Homecoming as a debut movie, which I don't, but it's $85 million in that case).

I'm sure Thanos is gonna gently caress up Wakanda at least a bit in Infinity War because giving them a setback is a good way to prevent them from going out and fixing with world with the Outreach Centers right away, but I wonder if Marvel isn't taking a second look at that footage today, especially if any of the supporting cast were slated to get killed off.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm re-watching Spider-Man Homecoming for the first time since seeing it in theatres and I forgot just how good this movie really is. They hit almost all the notes perfectly.

Only thing that I'd say isn't perfect is that I never really felt like Peter "screwed up" the arms deal on the ferry. The FBI was gonna close in, Toomes would've put on the Vulture suit, people would have died because he's way above what they were prepared to deal with. I'd say Spider-Man's involvement kept that from happening. Although I guess the argument could be made that Toomes only got to his suit in time because he was tipped off about Spider-Man.

Not that big a deal. It's not important that Peter screws up so much as Peter and Tony feel like he screwed up, but it coulda been nice if there was a blatant moment of Peter being too wreckless and causing things to be worse than they woulda been, which I just didn't get from that scene.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nah the boat thing is definitely another example of Tony screwing up because he decided to do something and not clue in anybody even though he should've and when it blew up on him he shifted the blame to someone else like he always does

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He told lots of people. Just not Peter.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

site posted:

Nah the boat thing is definitely another example of Tony screwing up because he decided to do something and not clue in anybody even though he should've and when it blew up on him he shifted the blame to someone else like he always does

No that's not really the takeaway there at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He ignores Pete all the time and doesn't let him know he alerted the feds and when Pete shows up to do his thing, because he has no way of knowing the FBI was gonna be there, and things go south, Tony gets mad at him for not magically having perfect information about what was happening and blames him for it. seems pretty cut and dry to me

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Tony gets mad that the teenager he told not to do something does it anyway. It might seem unfair that Peter is on a need to know basis but Tony consider him to be in training and with the bike thief and car jacker situations he doesn't have any reason to believe he's ready.

And his actual gently caress up on the boat was causing the super gun to go nuts and almost kill everybody. Vulture probably would have evaded the feds because Tony underestimates him but the whole ship wouldn't have gone down.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Stark was near the ship in person, so I assume the plan was for the Vulture to take off and then have Iron Man swoop on him. The Vulture isn't fast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

He ignores Pete all the time and doesn't let him know he alerted the feds and when Pete shows up to do his thing, because he has no way of knowing the FBI was gonna be there, and things go south, Tony gets mad at him for not magically having perfect information about what was happening and blames him for it. seems pretty cut and dry to me

Because he's trying to keep him out of real danger. If Peter knows, he's not going to stay away. Lying is the only way that might work in that situation.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dunno, if Pete knew Tony and the feds were doing a sting that's kinda good incentive not follow the boat

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

I dunno, if Pete knew Tony and the feds were doing a sting that's kinda good incentive not follow the boat
Seriously. Pete's there because he thinks he's being ignored and he has to stop the arms deal because if he doesn't, nobody else will. Happy and Tony not being utter dicks and giving Peter a simple message of "your tips have been heard and appreciated, we passed it on to the FBI and they've got a sting set up so let the authorities take it from here, good work kid" would have probably worked.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah like the whole reason that Pete was in this in the first place was that when Pete tried to alert Tony so that he could do something about the vulture, Tony blew him off.

I have a hard time believing Tony actually cares about Pete's welfare, i mean he lied to the kid and bought him off with a shiny suit to fight the avengers and then sent him home and never spoke to him again until that shocker fight... where he ignored Pete's plea for help

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fangz posted:

I mean the rules do say that but there's gotta be a lot of times where the loser goes down the waterfall and they never find the body. Like if Killmonger went over the cliff instead and reappeared a few days later having used a stolen heart-shaped herb and donning royal armour, there would be no question that if the royal guard fights on T'Challa's behalf they'll be correctly fulfilling their duty. It's not that W'Kabi is right, it's that the rules are at least ambiguous, and arguably he follows their spirit better than the Dora Milaje.

I mean, not really? The spirit of the rules is that the throne goes to somebody who has either the direct approval or at least the tacit acceptance of all five tribes. Erik doesn't have that because while the rules technically allow him to challenge literally nobody there knows who he is, and his policies are incredibly unpopular. Nobody actually wants him as king.

The Trump comparison really is an apt one, since Trump won the electoral college and is the winner according to the rules, but lost the popular vote and doesn't have the kind of popular acceptance that the process is supposed to measure in the first place.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

site posted:

I have a hard time believing Tony actually cares about Pete's welfare, i mean he lied to the kid and bought him off with a shiny suit to fight the avengers and then sent him home and never spoke to him again until that shocker fight... where he ignored Pete's plea for help
No, he does, he's just loving up in a very Tony way. He actually is trying to be a surrogate father to Peter, it's just that his own father withheld affection and was an exacting, demanding perfectionist and for Tony Stark, "act like my dad until someone rubs my nose in it" is always going to be his default when he's not really sure how to handle a situation. That's why Tony apologizes and is very deliberate about showing Peter actual affection at the end.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, not really? The spirit of the rules is that the throne goes to somebody who has either the direct approval or at least the tacit acceptance of all five tribes. Erik doesn't have that because while the rules technically allow him to challenge literally nobody there knows who he is, and his policies are incredibly unpopular. Nobody actually wants him as king.

The Trump comparison really is an apt one, since Trump won the electoral college and is the winner according to the rules, but lost the popular vote and doesn't have the kind of popular acceptance that the process is supposed to measure in the first place.
I don't think the support of the tribes is going to help you all that much when you're fighting someone to the death at the edge of the waterfall. The whole challenge thing is obviously much more than "just" a ceremonial, technical process considering how seriously it ended up being taken. Like, what if M'Baku had really won the first challenge? Would everyone have gone "Nah, technically we don't like you so we're not gonna follow you just because you won" or would they have followed the rites to the letter?

It's honestly just a really bad way to decide your monarchs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think the support of the tribes is going to help you all that much when you're fighting someone to the death at the edge of the waterfall. The whole challenge thing is obviously much more than "just" a ceremonial, technical process considering how seriously it ended up being taken. Like, what if M'Baku had really won the first challenge? Would everyone have gone "Nah, technically we don't like you so we're not gonna follow you just because you won" or would they have followed the rites to the letter?

I think the fact that T'challa's family line has never lost probably affects expectations going into one.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It's interesting how (Killmonger spoilers) once again an MCU villain's evil plan is to spread dangerous super-weapons around the world. Iron Monger, Vulture, and now Killmonger are all variants on that. Diamondback in Luke Cage too, and to an extent Yellowjacket. Anxiety about technology in the wrong hands is a theme they keep running with. Killmonger is more interesting because he's doing it for ideology rather than profit, though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Re: Black Panther's ending: they don't really have a choice but to change the rules of succession now given that there aren't any more heart-shaped herbs, because once they take away the current Black Panther's power for the trial by combat there's no way to give it back to the winner afterwards. I mean I'd like to think Wakanda is forward-thinking enough to keep a seed bank or something but given that the heart-shaped herb is a weird magic plant who knows how hard it might be to cultivate again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, Tony's shtick is "get stuck in his own head and don't give people feedback on things." His character arc hadn't really been fixing that, it's been realizing that it happens. So on the one hand he's trying to help Peter out of honest caring (that comment on the boat about the churro lady or whatever it was for example, that shows he was listening to Peter's messages), but on the other hand he realizes he's a bad influence and wants to keep him at arm's length. And then he still does the Tony stuff of "we'll wrap this all up and I'll swoop in to save the day, no need to tell Peter anything's going on" or "build him a suit! With a bajillion new features! And guns! It'll be cool! What, too much for a kid? I'll just stick it behind a password lock."

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

BrianWilly posted:

Better than "you're the son of the last guy" like in real life.

Is it stated only T'Challa's tribe has ever been king? because after thousands of years it could have switched around depending on who won a challenge. The title of Black Panther is the leader/greatest warrior of the Panther tribe but the other tribes could have ruled Wakanda without changing the Black Panther's duty as protector

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

#1 movie and #1 album.

https://twitter.com/billboard/status/965335941769580564

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Saw it today at last. I have nothing to add to this conversation that others haven't already. The film was 99% flawless and my only legit complaint is the first fight in the jungle was just a bit too dark but that may have been our theater. I have never seen a film take hold of the audience like that, such an incredible experience. 1:30 on a Monday and it was packed.

Can we get an Odin/T'Chaka team up in the afterlife scene sometime? I feel like wise, ghost dad's could be fun.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Extremely minor gripe but would it really have been so hard to get a Korean native speaker for the one Korean character who is introduced as a salty weathered Busan ajumma and speaks only in Korean

It's so jarring that I needed the subtitles to tell what she was saying, and I hear that her lines were redubbed for the Korean release

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Saw it today at last. I have nothing to add to this conversation that others haven't already. The film was 99% flawless and my only legit complaint is the first fight in the jungle was just a bit too dark but that may have been our theater.

Was your screening 3D? I can never get a screening in 3D that isn't at least partly dimmed.

The jungle fight at the beginning was a pleasant surprise for me because it ended up better in the movie than in the footage I had seen before. The cuts were fast enough that it hid what used to seem like clunky moves.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ever since I saw the movie/ listened to the album I've been getting super into music with afrofuturist themes/ sounds.

So not only was it a great film, with some great music, it's sent me off down this great musical rabbit hole leading into the world of contemporary African music as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lobok posted:

Was your screening 3D? I can never get a screening in 3D that isn't at least partly dimmed.

The jungle fight at the beginning was a pleasant surprise for me because it ended up better in the movie than in the footage I had seen before. The cuts were fast enough that it hid what used to seem like clunky moves.

I saw it in 2D and the opening jungle fight was extremely dark for my showing as well. Everything else was fine, but that fight was basically pitch black except for the muzzle flashes.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

So not only was it a great film, with some great music, it's sent me off down this great musical rabbit hole leading into the world of contemporary African music as well.

Is there a thread for this on the forums?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Nope, My glasses tend to get in the way of 3D so we always opt to skip it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Is there a thread for this on the forums?

Negrotown talks about afro-futurism a lot. As an added benefit we've been celebrating Black Panther for daaays.

Edit: forgot, we also have a black art thread. Mostly paintings but some afro-futurist photography pops up too.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The theater is supposed to raise the brightness a certain amount for 3D to compensate for the glasses. Many don't though, and it sounds like a lot of yours didn't set it correctly for 2D either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Km add me to the list of people who are interested in that costuming effortpost if you can find some spare time

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

AnonSpore posted:

Extremely minor gripe but would it really have been so hard to get a Korean native speaker for the one Korean character who is introduced as a salty weathered Busan ajumma and speaks only in Korean

It's so jarring that I needed the subtitles to tell what she was saying, and I hear that her lines were redubbed for the Korean release

my wife and I joked that Lupita has better Korean than the ajumma

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They even shot those scenes in Korea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Km add me to the list of people who are interested in that costuming effortpost if you can find some spare time

Same here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I also want to learn things!

• Locked thread