Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Automatic Slim posted:

People with high power, high responsibility jobs tend to like to be dominated if not humiliated. Holo Irishman is a tough but loving master.

Always ending in what was intended as a inspiring but actually sanctimonious speech.

When Janeway wants to be humiliated she asks for a new ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

gizmojumpjet posted:

Ya'll some weird-rear end motherfuckers.

Lol, just lol if you have never considered what the kinks of each star trek captain would be

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

So, uh, when is the next season of STD? My life is so empty that I lack even for things to complain about. The Mike & Saru show filled that void nicely.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Don't know but Solo comes out in May. That can tide you over for a few weeks.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

star wars isnt nearly as fun to have flame wars about

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

And yet, so many people try.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

New season of the expanse should be out soon too. Stay away from da agua

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Automatic Slim posted:

Han Solo obviously fucks while dressed like a Japanese school girl.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He glues a googly eye to his forehead and makes Leia call him "Tienshenhan Solo"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Did any of the writers ever explain why the wormhole aliens were so attached to Bajorians?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Trast posted:

Did any of the writers ever explain why the wormhole aliens were so attached to Bajorians?

They are idiot backwater hicks that will worship them

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Trast posted:

The Prophets were supposed to be "of Bajor," which makes me think they were a race that evolved before the Bajora and, for whatever reason, made and migrated into the Wormhole.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Trast posted:

All gods love to watch suffering happen.

And there was hasperat.

What more could you want?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Trast posted:

Gods and their worshipers are always tied in an unhealthy codependent relationship. They feed off each other.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

quote:

11/22/2000. Nightingale 2 stars — Ensign Kim finds himself making the hard choices of mission commander when he agrees to help the crew of a ship in need.
Nice, I could use a nap later today.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trast posted:

Pets. Kind of needy, annoying pets, but still cute in their own way. Like cockatoos.

A bajoran praying to the prophets, as seen by the prophets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNKGK7hVhY

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mycomancy posted:

The Prophets were supposed to be "of Bajor," which makes me think they were a race that evolved before the Bajora and, for whatever reason, made and migrated into the Wormhole.

Or evolved after. They seem to exist outside of time, or at least the way we think of time, after all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whooooooaaaah guys!

What if, what if you...

You do the Soren thing to steer the Nexus Ribbon, and you

get this

You steer it right into the Bajoran wormhole. And in three different time periods you fire a Inverse Tachyon Pulse at the wormhole? Like, what would even happen?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Benny dies.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Whooooooaaaah guys!

What if, what if you...

You do the Soren thing to steer the Nexus Ribbon, and you

get this

You steer it right into the Bajoran wormhole. And in three different time periods you fire a Inverse Tachyon Pulse at the wormhole? Like, what would even happen?

3 different periods in linear time? SAD!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FuturePastNow posted:

Or evolved after. They seem to exist outside of time, or at least the way we think of time, after all.
Evolution requires linear time, something that the prophets do not even understand, and forgetting requires linear time so they could not have ever been linear.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

lol but seriously I posted:

Borg queen was kind of cool the first time, even though she wrecked up the alien weirdness of the Borg in a big way. It was only when she turned into Rita Repulsa that poo poo got BAD bad.

although, didn't LocUtus already gently caress everything up in like their second appearance? But once again, that's cool character moments at the expense of some Stanisław Lem style thinky-type sci-fi.

My impression first time seeing the best of both worlds where Picard gets turned into Locutus was that the Borg were trying to gently caress with the crew of the Enterprise, to better defeat them. . . then they just sort of ignored them and took off to Earth, which didn't really make sense. In First Contact I was sure that they just up and made to Borg Queen on the spot to try and seduce the codes out of Data, but then when it's revealed that she and Picard had rusty borg sex, it didn't make sense either.

The Borg were a cool concept, but the writers ran out of ideas after TNG.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the borg were a lot better before they gave them a queen that could be easily bamboozled by robot that has a dick, and then by janeway

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

oh and according to one of those shatner novels v'ger was a borg and romulans like to wear pleasure devices on their ears that make loving better

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

really though i imagine for the movie they were just like "well we can't just have the borg be some sort of impersonal collective, we need a villain." "ok, how about a queen. make sure she has nice titties. i know, what if she tries to gently caress data." "right, and let's make picard an angry psychopath."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I still don't understand how you leave the Nexus. It will take you where you wanna be, and if you believe you're not in the nexus, you're still there, it's just not as obvious about it anymore.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

generations is easily the dumbest loving movie of the bunch

at least first contact was entertaining

the rest are runners up for also being stupid and lovely

they fuckin blew it with TNG movies and there is no going back :(

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

The last decent Start Rucks movie was The Undiscovered Country. The rest are garbage of varying degrees.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The General posted:

I still don't understand how you leave the Nexus. It will take you where you wanna be, and if you believe you're not in the nexus, you're still there, it's just not as obvious about it anymore.

:ssh: this is why picards further adventures get more and more absurd culminating in his doppelganger leading the romulan star empire

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

numberoneposter posted:

I keep hoping one of these days they'll decide to do a small-budget TNG reunion movie on Netflix or something. A man can dream, can't he?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I keep hoping one of these days they'll decide to do a small-budget TNG reunion movie on Netflix or something. A man can dream, can't he?
And somehow shoehorn Shatner into it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

Nice, I could use a nap later today.

Behold Harry Kim lose his poo poo and micromanage everyone because he's so nervous about his first command.

Even though he gets third watch command of Voyager all the time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Stealing from the gif thread:

https://i.imgur.com/SA5Jlc7.gifv

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Clint Howard spotted.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Thwomp posted:

Stealing from the gif thread:

https://i.imgur.com/SA5Jlc7.gifv

Holy poo poo.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FuturePastNow posted:

Instead of being future Bajorans, imagine if the prophets are future Cardassians.

When they say they are of Bajor they just mean the end of the occupation was illegitimate.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

If they can't occupy the Bajorans' planet, they'll occupy the Bajorans' hearts.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

popewiles posted:

If they can't occupy the Bajorans' planet, they'll occupy the Bajorans' hearts.

Dukat was occupying Bajoran :females:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just finished VOY. Oh my loving god. Of course the finale leant on time travel as a crutch

The romance with Seven also came out of nowhere in like one episode three before the finale too. What a pile of wank.

Watching Farpoint now to start my last leg of the Big 3 Treks.

And hahahahhaa the sound production is like College TV Station quality. All echos on the ship and rustling in the marketplace. The acoustic padding is visibly obvious in the Ready Room. Saucer separation before we've even really met the bridge crew. Q straight out of the gate god this is a wild ride. Excessive pausing and long looks. VO not matching gaps left by actors. What are those phasers so small for? Those skirts! A dude in one of those skirts! Diana's accent is... wtf? Kind of like she's trying to add a tinge of Russian or French, but it's much less pronounced in her telepathy. Irl she's a common cockney trollop though so I guess it's all artificial anyway. Riker's clearly meant to be Kirk-But-With-Things-Still To Learn from wise old grump who's firm but fair and hates children, Picard. And are those rank pips giving us a 1st Lt? I don't think I've seen one of those before in DS9 or VOY. Worf's makeup, and with a gold sash with tassles? Fancy. Talkative computer. I haven't watched much TNG but that interior doesn't look even nearly the same in the corridors as what I think I remember. Transporters look different too. Yar's acting is probably best left unmentioned. Those Sunburst Yellow walls in engineering, Burnt Orange floor on the bridge, pastel mood lighting in the turbolifts. Planet backgrounds all strange colour skies and faded gradients. Shields called shields but also forcefields? Okay. Ferengi... eat people now? Fake edit: sound is much better handled towards the end. Music better integrated too already. Lol Data prodding the 4th wall breaking off mid-sentence to say "Sorry sir, I seem to be always commenting on everything". You know what? If there had been Space Station Jellyfish in VOY I'd be equally as amused but this gave them much more screen time after "ok the problem's been solved". It doesn't just go "glib remark from Janeway, roll credits".

This is loving hilarious and I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

There are big 3 Treks but Voyager isn't one of them.

:colbert:

"Encounter At Farpoint" was a pilot and those are pretty rough to begin with. The difference between most series' pilots and first real episodes are often remarkable. Add that the first two seasons of Star Trek are really mediocre television, you've got a real rough introduction.

Keep in mind that TNG was produced for syndication and not a major network (novel at the time). All three networks would've made a hard pass if that pilot landed on their desks. That TNG had time to develop into an excellent series is a miracle.