Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MelvinBison posted:

That's what I thought. :negative:

Is there ever a reason to have Sword Oath on your bar?

Yes. Generally you want to be in Sword Oath, not Shield Oath in an situation where the extra surviability or extra aggro generation of Shield Oath isn't necessary. You generally should be in Shield just long enough to establish an aggro lead and otherwise should be in Sword, and if you're OT then you should be in Sword. Otherwise you're losing a whole lot of DPS. (The penalty for shield oath + the reduced autoattack damage.)

All three tank classes basically want to be in their offense stance as much as reasonably possible. If you're uncomfortable with a fight or whatever you'll stay in tank stance longer but your goal should be to learn how to manage the fight without it wherever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sword Oath is what you are going to be spending the vast majority of your time in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are aggro bars relative to the top aggro? As in, if you’re the tank and you build up aggro, will you see your teammmates’ bars shrink?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Are aggro bars relative to the top aggro? As in, if you’re the tank and you build up aggro, will you see your teammmates’ bars shrink?

Yes. The bars will get smaller and smaller the further your aggro lead is. Note that however a small visual gap can be a very large actual number gap depending on how much threat has been generated already.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Also between Captain Intelligence in my earlier post and the other PLD in my group, they did a combined 2.6k dps.

Just need a spring next week and I'm done running that poo poo more than once for the chrysalloid

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Honestly the opposite would be more accurate.

Tanking in ff14 - which is to say, holding enmity and mitigating damage - is very simple. Most of the time your shield oath is going to be effectively doing nothing beyond giving you peace of mind - esp if you are offtanking. Sword oath increases your damage which is always good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Damage is king in FFXIV, so anything that buffs damage is better by default.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

Sure, when you’re not main tanking, or you’re tanking but have enough of an emnity lead and aren’t in danger or sudden and immediate death.

For all the problems the PLD is having, turning on Sword Oath after switching to OT isn’t one of them.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

its like 11% of your total damage, just for being in it
it's good

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Housing Rush related,

The maintenance message says duration tentative, does that mean it can end before the 5am EST deadline? Would they do that?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

They wouldn't, it means possibly later.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm glad people still fall for the classics.

Cure can't crit

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

People who've played PLD more than me posted:

Sword Oath is good.
Okay. I didn't think auto-attacks mattered that much, but I get that the damage debuff from Shield Oath would be significant. I think I'm just spoiled by Blood Weapon.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

They need to take sword oath off the global cooldown already

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Tank stance is still really nice to keep on for trash pulls though. It's nice when your healer's heart doesn't explode if they Holy one too many times.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ruta posted:

I hate the female dragoon pose, and the 50 job set is also a slap in the face with that dumb tummy window.

That poo poo eating grin when in the idle pose really ticks me off though. Same to how the victory pose for girls has your character hold her thighs together like her biggest concern while jumping is you might see her panties.

I'd trade the drk pose to get all the guy drg stuff any day.

Good to see we found the wrongest possible opinion.

Schneider Heim posted:

Tell me about Healer jobs. I don't know which to pick--White Mage sounds awfully vanilla, but I'm not sure if Scholar is exciting either (though it seems you could specialize into Stand User Summoner instead--can you have both or are they mutually-exclusive?)

Also, do the expansion jobs require that I complete their respective MSQs, or can I do their quests once I hit the required level?

Short version from a biased SCH main: WHM is very good and very straightforward. Strong heals, big regens, you can completely ignore its job gauge if you want, Holy is stupidly good in dungeons, and it has the strongest damage spells of the healers. I don't have much more to say about it, since I only have it at 66 right now and it's not the deepest job, but if nothing else it's the best healer to learn with by far.

AST is a great second healer in 8-person content, because it can choose between a regen-based stance or a shield-based one outside of combat, which lets it compliment any other healer effectively. Nocturnal AST is secretly the game's shield healer unless you want to pray to the Critlo Gods, and Diurnal AST plays a lot like WHM with cards instead of Holy. Cards are an interesting and powerful gimmick, though they have to make up for the fact that AST's personal damage output is drastically (like, 25-35%) lower than the other two healers.

SCH has relatively crappy regular heals (Adlo is a good single-target heal but Succor is mediocre at best), and some mitigation in the form of shields as well. On the other hand, its Aetherflow-powered heals are quite strong and, more importantly, instant casts that aren't tied to the global cooldown. It's definitely harder to play than the other healers, since managing Aetherflow stacks and the faerie's cooldowns (only crazy people set Embrace to manual, and only idiots leave Eos on autopilot) are both essential if you want to clear 50+ leveling dungeons, let alone Savage content or whatever. In exchange for the difficulty, SCH gets excellent mobility, great reflex heals, personal DPS that's nearly as good as WHM, Chain Stratagem, and the ability to combine shields and regens better than the other healers.

edit: one thing to know about SCH is that it has something like 40 buttons and a billion instacast abilities, so hotbar layout is essential to making it work, especially on gamepad. I redid my hotbars for it about a week ago, and added ~400 DPS and a nice healing boost/reduction in stupid deaths from reducing the amount of shuffling between Set 1 and Set 2.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 19, 2018

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wait scholar is "hard" what the hell i should have been a whm all this time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MotU posted:

Try whm. I leveled it recently and I'm an ast main and I'm legit mad at how loving brain dead WHM is. It's so easy AND all your potencies and spells are just better. It's loving crazy how much better they are.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

MotU posted:

WHM is so easy even I can do it. My main DPS is RDM.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
ive been a scholar since ARR launch and so tunnel vision on it that my only other job at 70 is sam, i need to branch out and stop being lazy

also im not even good at scholar

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like playing Scholar most of all but WHM is always my top priority for weapon upgrades because it's easily the most comfortable class to play in harder content. It can respond so quickly to so many things, might as well not even have MP, does tons of damage and in general just feels like everything you do is strong.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bolow posted:

Housing Rush related,

The maintenance message says duration tentative, does that mean it can end before the 5am EST deadline? Would they do that?

There's zero chance that they will bring up a housing related maintenance before the time listed on the patch. They did at least once and it was a huge mistake and since then they've never done it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You could buff all of AST and SCH potencies by 20 points across the board and they'd still be less good than WHM. It's kinda hosed.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

scholars the strongest healer

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Doing the Beast tribe quests for the Ananta, and J'ohlmyn treats Alpa exactly like an anime girlfriend would treat their dumbass love interest character.

Therefore I declare J'ohlmyn and Alpa girlfriends.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 19, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Doing the Beast tribe quests for the Ananta, and J'ohlmyn treats Alpa exactly like an anime girlfriend would treat their dumbass love interest character.

Therefore I declare J'ohlmyn and Alpga girlfriends.

As long as it means The Shittiest Tia continues to get dunked on then I'm fine with that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

does he become involved with one of them because if so that's disappointing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

At least as far as I am he's blatantly hitting on one. I don't know if it goes further.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They dunk on him real hard

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think part of what makes WHM look and feel so powerful is that they're pretty much all raw healing with minimal mitigation. Aside from the little buff icon good shielding is practically invisible to everyone who benefits.

Not that WHMs aren't -also- just ridiculously good healers.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You could buff all of AST and SCH potencies by 20 points across the board and they'd still be less good than WHM. It's kinda hosed.

Wait, did people think I was calling SCH bad? WHM doesn't have any party damage buffs and limited damage reduction, and its instant heals are limited in how often you can use them. Scholar is also really good when you need a heal done right here and right now, since Lustrate is basically Tetra with no cooldown and Indomnitability is the healing part of Assize with half the cooldown.

One thing I have to give the developers full credit for, the three healers are well balanced and complement each other well. No combination of healing jobs is terrible, though WHM+AST might have a bit more trouble than Whatever+SCH in top end stuff.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Wait, did people think I was calling SCH bad? WHM doesn't have any party damage buffs and limited damage reduction, and its instant heals are limited in how often you can use them. Scholar is also really good when you need a heal done right here and right now, since Lustrate is basically Tetra with no cooldown and Indomnitability is the healing part of Assize with half the cooldown.

One thing I have to give the developers full credit for, the three healers are well balanced and complement each other well. No combination of healing jobs is terrible, though WHM+AST might have a bit more trouble than Whatever+SCH in top end stuff.

It’s prob the opposite. Whm/ast is king if prog rn from what I’ve seen, sch is doable of course but the mitigation is not needed and they cannot do the dps or healing that whm/ast can.

A reminder that ast shields are actually stronger than sch outside of deploy and frankly shields are the tanks job these days anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, I couldn't help but get this vibe a bit even though Ananta are seemingly asexual in reproduction and relationship.

Nodosaur posted:

He flirts with J'ohlmyn, then you throw grenades at him again before she kicks his rear end.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

He tries but he immediately gets shut down real hard. "If he tried, I'd just stick him with my spear." while he's standing right there.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I've been playing AST more to finish off my anima weapon and forgot how much fun it can be. I miss Cure III like a mofo but it's nice to be able to AoE without having to get in the thick of it (and very helpful when the tank is a spaz and can't stay still). It just needs 15% cheaper spells and I'd be happier with it.

Something I can't find an answer for anywhere - if you change grand companies do your seals get reset?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

As long as it means The Shittiest Tia continues to get dunked on then I'm fine with that.

The fact that male suncattes literally indicate in their name whether they're Allowed to gently caress will never not be funny to me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sarrisan posted:

It’s prob the opposite. Whm/ast is king if prog rn from what I’ve seen, sch is doable of course but the mitigation is not needed and they cannot do the dps or healing that whm/ast can.

Bahamut groups were generally WHM/SCH, and Sigma world firsts were WHM/SCH, so I'd guess that is the better prog combo. SCH can also probably hit dps parity with a WHM, if not straight do more, even before their crit buff. SCH also amazing healing output, outside of aoe-spamming, and AST dps is outright garbage, so that's a weird thing to say.

Anecdotally in savage I (WHM) would rather pair up with a SCH than an AST, as the whole fight ends up easier.

If anything I lean on ASTs being weaker than the others right now, but not by a large amount.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

vOv posted:

The fact that male suncattes literally indicate in their name whether they're Allowed to gently caress will never not be funny to me.

I wonder what that says about Nanaki given that he stole his backstory.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Bahamut groups were generally WHM/SCH, and Sigma world firsts were WHM/SCH, so I'd guess that is the better prog combo. SCH can also probably hit dps parity with a WHM, if not straight do more, even before their crit buff. SCH also amazing healing output, outside of aoe-spamming, and AST dps is outright garbage, so that's a weird thing to say.

Anecdotally in savage I (WHM) would rather pair up with a SCH than an AST, as the whole fight ends up easier.

If anything I lean on ASTs being weaker than the others right now, but not by a large amount.

Earthly star and light speed are amazing but I don’t heal and don’t have strong opinions about it.

My groups whm def prefers an ast over sch but that’s because he burns through mp like he’s got a leak.

(He’s almost top ten in dps though so we don’t complain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
healer balance in 8-mans is really good right now. i think sch + whm is the better combination for progression right now, mostly because of how often kefka uses mitigate-or-die raidwides, but it's nowhere near the shitshow which is tank or dps balance. ast + whm is definitely viable.

then they took 4-man white mage, the class that breaks the game over its knee, and made it even better in 4.2, i dunno, this game is stupid sometimes.