Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I think if you re-read my statement about bugs you’ll see I’m more or less saying that if you have typical popular hardware from the last few years (my build is pretty ordinary) then you probably won’t have a buggy experience. I think steam right now is full of a bunch of morons and autists like you flipping out because their 10 yr old amazing cpu with sandybridge for SOME reason wasn’t tested and GAMES BRKED.

You're an idiot. It is completely possible both for you to have a bug-free experience and for others to not have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
kingdom of Cumskins

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Really appreciating little touches like the triangle symbols on the alchemy base liquids, it's great just glancing at the book to double check I'm using the right one.

'course missing big touches like not actually checking that you're following the instructions is a bit weird.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

MiddleOne posted:

You're an idiot. It is completely possible both for you to have a bug-free experience and for others to not have one.

But that’s exactly what I’m saying. Having the hardware they tested with (popular card, recent driver, popular cpu, typical ram storage) will more than likely give you a less buggy experience. I would think people with super powerful PCs with uncommon hardware that most people wouldn’t have or have some throwback cpu that might be great but is very old would yield a more buggy experience. You’re an idiot.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

But that’s exactly what I’m saying. Having the hardware they tested with (popular card, recent driver, popular cpu, typical ram storage) will more than likely give you a less buggy experience. I would think people with super powerful PCs with uncommon hardware that most people wouldn’t have or have some throwback cpu that might be great but is very old would yield a more buggy experience. You’re an idiot.

According to the steam hardware survey your GTX 1070 and 16GB of RAM put you firmly in the uncommonly powerful hardware category, so congratulations on not only being an idiot but shooting down your own misguided point.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is this just for 1080s or all video cards?

I don't think it's card specific mine is a 10-something but not a 1080, it shifts load from your processor to your video card I think he said.

My video card is much newer and better than my CPU.

I've got an intel i3-2100 processor they discontinued 5 years ago, and a 4gb 1060? Nvidia card from a couple years ago.

The only performance issue I've had is hitching in rattay Main Street and tamberg castle. Seems much better with the cfg change.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 19, 2018

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Sorry if this has been asked already, I read the last several pages and didn't see anything. In the quest where you have to tail three commoner ladies into the woods, has anyone gotten a positive outcome? By staying out of sight until the woodcutters attack, I can avoid Henry participating in the peyote trip. but even when I cudgel the woodcutters into yielding, and save the girls, I am still stuck reporting to the priest that I was forced to kill the woodcutters. I can totally accept it if there is no good outcome, but the way the priest keeps saying "Jesus Henry, there was no other way? Nothing ELSE you could have done??" makes me think I am missing something.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

nessin posted:

According to the steam hardware survey your GTX 1070 and 16GB of RAM put you firmly in the uncommonly powerful hardware category, so congratulations on not only being an idiot but shooting down your own misguided point.

I was just teasing that autist that got mad about me saying the bugs aren’t that bad. Also, those are minimal requirements dummy. As in “here’s what you have to have in order to have the bottom of the barrel experience playing this game.” Look at the recommended hw.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Please don't use me saying this as an excuse to take this thread into poo poo City but a looooooot of Steam reviews are, by their own admission, trashing the game because the lead writer is an rear end in a top hat.

Which, that's fine, but David Bowie hosed teenage girls and last I checked his music is still great so whooooooo cares.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Is there anyone besides Robard and Bernard that train defence? Robard only does master level training after 15 so he isn't much help anyway

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I think if you re-read my statement about bugs you’ll see I’m more or less saying that if you have typical popular hardware from the last few years (my build is pretty ordinary) then you probably won’t have a buggy experience. I think steam right now is full of a bunch of morons and autists like you flipping out because their 10 yr old amazing cpu with sandybridge for SOME reason wasn’t tested and GAMES BRKED.

Hi, I have a plenty modern processor and a 1070 and I've still run into plenty of bugs that have nothing to do with performance. For example, I purchased permanent access to an inn room outside of Rattay and now the door to the room simply doesn't function anymore. Similarly, I've run into situations where the NPC scripting just starts to break down - for example, if I attempted to non-lethally solve the "witches" quest in Uzhitz, the encounter scripting would just break and you'd get stuck.

Similarly, plenty of people have pointed out that collision detection on stairs is pretty hosed. I've gotten Henry stuck in plenty of places just trying to move around normally.

None of that has poo poo to do with your build. I like the game but let's not pretend that it's surprising that a small-studio produced a super-buggy open world game. It's a tough thing to do.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

TresTristesTigres posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already, I read the last several pages and didn't see anything. In the quest where you have to tail three commoner ladies into the woods, has anyone gotten a positive outcome? By staying out of sight until the woodcutters attack, I can avoid Henry participating in the peyote trip. but even when I cudgel the woodcutters into yielding, and save the girls, I am still stuck reporting to the priest that I was forced to kill the woodcutters. I can totally accept it if there is no good outcome, but the way the priest keeps saying "Jesus Henry, there was no other way? Nothing ELSE you could have done??" makes me think I am missing something.

I tried to solve this non-lethally as well by punching them unconscious, but every time I succeeded the scripting on the encounter would bug out and not advance. Either the non-lethal solution is just bugged right now, or they intend for you to come out with a bad outcome and circumventing it breaks poo poo. Hard to tell which is the case at this point.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I've had to reload like 3 times so far because a quest will break and either not let me progress in the quest (like a sidequest) or won't let me progress at all if it's a mainquest. A bunch of other smaller bugs as well, but those are my most hated kind of bug in this kind of game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Oh god drat, I just noticed when you hit a guy your sword is usually in the right position to execute a combo, just press the right slash/strike combinations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Hi, I have a plenty modern processor and a 1070 and I've still run into plenty of bugs that have nothing to do with performance. For example, I purchased permanent access to an inn room outside of Rattay and now the door to the room simply doesn't function anymore. Similarly, I've run into situations where the NPC scripting just starts to break down - for example, if I attempted to non-lethally solve the "witches" quest in Uzhitz, the encounter scripting would just break and you'd get stuck.

Similarly, plenty of people have pointed out that collision detection on stairs is pretty hosed. I've gotten Henry stuck in plenty of places just trying to move around normally.

None of that has poo poo to do with your build. I like the game but let's not pretend that it's surprising that a small-studio produced a super-buggy open world game. It's a tough thing to do.

Yea I didn’t mean what you’re talking about which are actual bugs. I was rude to that guy bc he was acting pontifical and lovely. There are for sure bugs in this but I haven’t experienced any yet, probably bc I’m one of a hundred thousand people playing the game and we’re all gonna do something different. Like opening a treasure map while mounted with Your sword drawn. Initially I was referring to “bugs” people kept claiming they found (like in Steam reviews) that were related to weird settings and optimization.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Knobb Manwich posted:

Oh god drat, I just noticed when you hit a guy your sword is usually in the right position to execute a combo, just press the right slash/strike combinations.

Yeah there's some kind of targeting assistance going on, at least on console it seems, it tends to always pick good/the best places to strike.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jusupov posted:

Is there anyone besides Robard and Bernard that train defence? Robard only does master level training after 15 so he isn't much help anyway

Honestly for all combat skills just save your money and spend some time with Bernard beating this poo poo out of each other with training weapons. It trains all your stats and is free apart from the repair costs (also a good time to train maintenance!)

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Honestly for all combat skills just save your money and spend some time with Bernard beating this poo poo out of each other with training weapons. It trains all your stats and is free apart from the repair costs (also a good time to train maintenance!)

I've got 36k money and just want to hit defense 12 a bit faster for the 33% less weight for worn armor

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Smart phone lag double post, I’m gay

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2018

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
I'm not getting the boiling part of alchemy recipes - some people swear the stuff has to bubble for it to count, but I'm successfully making potions by barely warming it up, pulling bellows once for every turn, waiting for fire to go out and pulling again for next.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

I'm not getting the boiling part of alchemy recipes - some people swear the stuff has to bubble for it to count, but I'm successfully making potions by barely warming it up, pulling bellows once for every turn, waiting for fire to go out and pulling again for next.

What you are doing is correct. Technically I believe you can work the bellows continuously, but if you just pump-let go out-pump-let go out you don't even have to use the timer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, Bernard is a great way to boost your skills to a decent minimum level. Slapping him around for a few minutes at a time is great to get your axe and mace skills up to level five-ish, which is probably enough to take them out into the wild.

That said, am I doing something wrong or is it somehow either impossible or much harder to feint with axes and maces? I just can't seem to get it to work. Combined with their terrible thrusting I'm having a hell of a time actually opening up my opponents.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Bernard is a great way to boost your skills to a decent minimum level. Slapping him around for a few minutes at a time is great to get your axe and mace skills up to level five-ish, which is probably enough to take them out into the wild.

That said, am I doing something wrong or is it somehow either impossible or much harder to feint with axes and maces? I just can't seem to get it to work. Combined with their terrible thrusting I'm having a hell of a time actually opening up my opponents.

In my experiences feinting is pretty much worthless. You are way better off doing a perfect block, jabbing, and following up with a swing, especially if you knock them off guard.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

That's not what we're talking about here, my computer is not even a year old and the game still performs like poo poo and is buggy in that special Fallout New Vegas way. Idiot.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

That's not what we're talking about here, my computer is not even a year old and the game still performs like poo poo and is buggy in that special Fallout New Vegas way. Idiot.

Thanks for contributing with whatever your point is. That sucks that your computer sucks because I have basically the exact recommended hw and haven’t experienced lovely performance after about 5 minutes of setup. I guess it’s like I’ve had a different game experience that I wanted to express to someone commenting on reviews. Mine has been really positive with few graphical flaws and yours just sucks.

Or did you just within the last year buy an old computer? Serious question, do you think the following statement is true? OPTIMAL == MINIMAL?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The bugs I've seen are not performance related at all. They're poo poo like "don't read a map while on horseback or you'll have to revert to your last save, which was an hour ago."

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
So I went on a little nigh time raid in the armourers shop. I got frustrated when I saw the armourer had packed away all the valuables before closing, so I choked out one of the guards in his bed and stole all his stuff.

He didnt seem to care the next morning though;

A few days later he apparently saved up enough money to buy a full set of equipment so maybe ill visit him again whenever I need some quick cash.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

help i'm dying

e: unfortunately after a moment the visual bug goes away, I wasn't able to shoot him full of sword

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The bugs I've seen are not performance related at all. They're poo poo like "don't read a map while on horseback or you'll have to revert to your last save, which was an hour ago."

Right, I’m not saying that a game released a week ago with about 100 hours of content and miles of rendered terrain doesn’t have bugs. Just that the negative reviews would have you think the game is unplayable because of them and I have yet to find any meaningful bug after around 16 hours.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

GyverMac posted:

So I went on a little nigh time raid in the armourers shop. I got frustrated when I saw the armourer had packed away all the valuables before closing, so I choked out one of the guards in his bed and stole all his stuff.
The entire shop's inventory is stashed in the chests in the same building, so if you can open very hard locks you can just go in broad daylight, take everything and crawl out carrying it and nobody says a thing because they were at the counter and the chest is in the back room they can't see or hear.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo: just scouted the bandit camp north of Talmberg for Sir Radzig, and hot drat that was tough poo poo! I almost caved and got the unlimited save mod, but managed to complete without turning to the dark side.

There was about an hour of me trying to get a sentry by himself so I could knock him out and steal his uniform, where I would either fail the takedown and get murdered or another guard would wander by and catch me. Finally getting it done was worth a Schnapps!

The atmosphere on this quest was amazing: the lighting and sound design are top notch! Sneaking around at night, in the rain, avoiding the torchlight was tense and gave me some good Theif flashbacks! Pro tip: when approaching a guard a night, always sneak up from the line of his shadow.

Also, died at least 6 times trying to run away through the woods on horseback. Another pro tip: have your torch out when riding at night.

Did get my first real bug: I managed to sneak into the camp, passed all of the speech checks, then poisoned the food and burned the arrows without being seen, which is perfect completion afaik, and when I got on my horse to ride out my dude just looked straight up into the sky and began spinning in place. Had a reload, which lost not only about a half hour's worth of work, but about six-tries worth of luck. Considering the horror stories: I'll be counting my blessings and buying a lottery ticket.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So in picked the game up last night. Took me a coupple of tries but I beat the old man. I still dont understand a hit of the combat mechanics, he kept doing this weird counter on me which I'm still not sure how it happened or how to do it.

Escaping the castle was also very weird. I simply jumped off the drawbridfr at fiest but then reloaded and talked to a few mpre people. Ended up trying to steal the armour and lie my way out. But disappointed that I failed to lie to the guard refused to bribe him and then was simply able to tey again with a different lie which worked.

I also spent about half an hour trying to pick an easy lock. I got it in the end though, I droped my mouse dpi to about 1200 and it was much easier to stay on the sweet spot

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Right, I’m not saying that a game released a week ago with about 100 hours of content and miles of rendered terrain doesn’t have bugs. Just that the negative reviews would have you think the game is unplayable because of them and I have yet to find any meaningful bug after around 16 hours.

Yeah, I'm not going to defend Steam reviews because Steam reviewers wet their pants over any game that costs them more than a dollar of their allowance money, but I'm around fifty hours in (I played a lot over the past few days!) and it's the combination of janky weird bugs AND the save mechanic that means that if you play for fifty hours you're gonna lose at least five or six of those hours minimum to annoying bullshit. It can be really frustrating. Game Still Good though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All this talk of alchemy reminds me, where can I reliably find Belladonna? It's like the one thing I can't easily pick out from a field as I ride by.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bussamove posted:

All this talk of alchemy reminds me, where can I reliably find Belladonna? It's like the one thing I can't easily pick out from a field as I ride by.

THere's a huge field of it in the area where you do the Bird in the Hand side quest, west of Rattay, past the river, before the road. It's not always easy to spot till you learn what the plant looks like.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Are there endless 'kill the bandit camp' quests or only a finite amount?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

hakimashou posted:

Are there endless 'kill the bandit camp' quests or only a finite amount?

3 cities each have several of them

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Gridlocked posted:

So in picked the game up last night. Took me a coupple of tries but I beat the old man. I still dont understand a hit of the combat mechanics, he kept doing this weird counter on me which I'm still not sure how it happened or how to do it.

Escaping the castle was also very weird. I simply jumped off the drawbridfr at fiest but then reloaded and talked to a few mpre people. Ended up trying to steal the armour and lie my way out. But disappointed that I failed to lie to the guard refused to bribe him and then was simply able to tey again with a different lie which worked.

I also spent about half an hour trying to pick an easy lock. I got it in the end though, I droped my mouse dpi to about 1200 and it was much easier to stay on the sweet spot

If you ask miller Peshek to teach you lockpicking, he shows you a practice chest pick over and over again. After you level up and take the durable lockpick perk, it gets way way easier.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you ask miller Peshek to teach you lockpicking, he shows you a practice chest pick over and over again. After you level up and take the durable lockpick perk, it gets way way easier.

I don't know if I've found him yet or if I can even. I didn't find a horse so I tried walking home and I got a cut scene that teleported me home.

I think I'm still in the tutorial/prologue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Gridlocked posted:

I don't know if I've found him yet or if I can even. I didn't find a horse so I tried walking home and I got a cut scene that teleported me home.

I think I'm still in the tutorial/prologue?

You meet him after you bury your parents.