Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The diplomacy system in total war is really bad compared to the newer paradox games. That took me a bit to adjust to as well as which options let you move after attacking a city. The first time I had an AI sack my city then force march out of range of he army right next to it annoyed me just a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Steel Faith gives most factions 'road' buildings which apply the bonus to the entire province and it stacks. So for example Reikland can ultimately give any friendly lords +45% movement if they start their turn in the province. It's a nice way to discourage hit and run attacks by the enemy armies, since it's much easier to catch them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you don't want to use SFO, you can also use Dresden's mod that makes it so road buildings apply their move buff province-wide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157274821

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

Just picked up TWW1 and will move onto 2 when I'm done. The variety you can have with a fantasy game seems to make it more entertaining than the old ones.

Little stuck on confederacies though - as Karl Franz should I be beating on any humans besides separatists or will that make the other humans hate me? And should I be allying and NAPing other humans to help generate favour with them or will having another kind of alliance stop me getting a confederation?

As you're still playing WH1, the only humans you should beat up after the separatists are Marienburg, cause their city is a huge cash flow with a trade port. Beating up Todbringer, who is a major rear end in a top hat, is also cool, but not necessary.

In terms of general human diplomacy, you should do NAP, trade, and military access with your closest neighbors, don't do military or defensive alliances so you don't get dragged into wars on the AI pace, once you're proper settled go forth from the Reikland and beat up on the Vampire Counts in Sylvania. Killing vampires will make all those bordered on Vampire lands like you more, and make it easier to confederate all them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also remember to send gifts out to factions you are interested in confederating or vassalizing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

If you don't want to use SFO, you can also use Dresden's mod that makes it so road buildings apply their move buff province-wide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157274821

Thanks this seems like a good mod.

I got over the movement stuff by putting walls everywhere, using ambush stance a LOT, and just generally positioning better but it definitely felt pretty bullshit when I was new.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was thinking it might be a improvement if walls and roads didn't take up building slots but were something you could dump money into in the province to improve a cities roads or garrison, then I was thinking what if total war didn't have limited building slots in every city and was more like civilization that let you build tons of buildings in every city if you had the resources to do so, perhaps with increasing costs for each building but with discounts to counteract it if you have growth beyond t5.

Just a random thought for something to let you still interact with a city once it's t5 and has all it's slots filled.

Edit: final random thought, unlimited building slots would then give you space to add buildings that required trade resources.
Armory, 2000g and 20 iron or obsidian, +2 infantry exp.
Inn, 1500g and 10 wine or dwarven beer, +1 hero recruit rank.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 19, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also remember to send gifts out to factions you are interested in confederating or vassalizing.

Does this actually help? I could never tell.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was thinking it might be a improvement if walls and roads didn't take up building slots but were something you could dump money into in the province to improve a cities roads or garrison, then I was thinking what if total war didn't have limited building slots in every city and was more like civilization that let you build tons of buildings in every city if you had the resources to do so, perhaps with increasing costs for each building but with discounts to counteract it if you have growth beyond t5.

Just a random thought for something to let you still interact with a city once it's t5 and has all it's slots filled.

It used to be that way, so you’d just build everything in every city

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Brettonia gets walls built into its tier 3 minor settlements which helps a bit.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

S.J. posted:

Does this actually help? I could never tell.

High relations helps and every gift you send stacks. You can get any faction to like you with enough small gifts. The easiest time to confederate a faction is right after they've suffered a big defeat. When your army is strong and theirs is weak and your relations are decent, they'll want to confederate for protection.

Mufasa Nigel
Jul 8, 2005

Just been getting into this, 1st try at a total war game. I've completed an easy vortex campaign with maliketh so I've got the general gist.

What the gently caress do you do early game when you've took one settlement in a province, it has low enough public order that taking another would cause a rebellion. But the settlements are two movements away. Then a loving stack moves in on the one not rebelling. Later on I'd just have 2 armies moving around to deal with this.

I'd just go rampaging around and take the whole province but rebellion stacks seem to become late game deathballs in like 2 turns.

Playing as kroq gar if that matters.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mufasa Nigel posted:

Just been getting into this, 1st try at a total war game. I've completed an easy vortex campaign with maliketh so I've got the general gist.

What the gently caress do you do early game when you've took one settlement in a province, it has low enough public order that taking another would cause a rebellion. But the settlements are two movements away. Then a loving stack moves in on the one not rebelling. Later on I'd just have 2 armies moving around to deal with this.

I'd just go rampaging around and take the whole province but rebellion stacks seem to become late game deathballs in like 2 turns.

Playing as kroq gar if that matters.

force a rebellion by raiding your own territory and then spank the rebel stack before it can build up. killing the rebels will give your order rating a boost.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

team overhead smash posted:

Just picked up TWW1 and will move onto 2 when I'm done. The variety you can have with a fantasy game seems to make it more entertaining than the old ones.

Little stuck on confederacies though - as Karl Franz should I be beating on any humans besides separatists or will that make the other humans hate me? And should I be allying and NAPing other humans to help generate favour with them or will having another kind of alliance stop me getting a confederation?

Confederating sucks as the player and you're better off just conquering everyone.

You usually need to have 2-3x as many provinces as the AI has regions and have been best buds with them with a full Alliance for a few dozen turns to be able to Confederate.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Gejnor posted:

Ive had bugs and stuff but lol "a mess" is going above and beyond in whining.

Speaking of, I was able to get your beastmen packfile to work by deleting all of the table edits except for the building_effects_junction_tables and effect_bundles_to_effects_junctions_tables. I was unable to figure out why the other table edits caused the loading screen to hang, but at least replenishment seems to work now. Thanks!

Edit: Not whining or complaining

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drgnvale posted:

Speaking of, I was able to get your beastmen packfile to work by deleting all of the table edits except for the building_effects_junction_tables and effect_bundles_to_effects_junctions_tables. I was unable to figure out why the other table edits caused the loading screen to hang, but at least replenishment seems to work now. Thanks!

Now use your pack file viewer to remove any mention of additional factions in the unlocker tia.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xae posted:

Confederating sucks as the player and you're better off just conquering everyone.

You usually need to have 2-3x as many provinces as the AI has regions and have been best buds with them with a full Alliance for a few dozen turns to be able to Confederate.

On the other hand confederating lets you skip having to pay for upgrades and buildings, especially since conquering a city takes it down a level.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Senor Dog posted:

The diplomacy system in total war is really bad compared to the newer paradox games. That took me a bit to adjust to as well as which options let you move after attacking a city. The first time I had an AI sack my city then force march out of range of he army right next to it annoyed me just a little bit.

ITs called 'total war' not 'total pussy spazz trying to be friends with everyone'

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

drgnvale posted:

No no, its perfectly fine to complain about this sort of stuff.

Turns out this mod also ALSO somehow become dependant on my dark elf mod Sa'an'ishar.

No i have no idea why, theres a table that doesn't affect anything in this mod but it HAS TO BE THERE OR gently caress YOU ITS CRASH TO DESKTOP TIME BABY.

Ive added the table into this and tested it on its own, works now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0o34xv67oe36zu/gejnor_beastmen_rdone.pack?dl=0

Senor Dog posted:

Ironically i feel the opposite, for a pure war experience the paradox diplomatic system is just garbage, i do believe i will stop this war when i FEEL LIKE IT YOU BASTARD.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

force a rebellion by raiding your own territory and then spank the rebel stack before it can build up. killing the rebels will give your order rating a boost.

You can't raid as lizardmen if I recall correctly.

Trujillo posted:

High relations helps and every gift you send stacks. You can get any faction to like you with enough small gifts. The easiest time to confederate a faction is right after they've suffered a big defeat. When your army is strong and theirs is weak and your relations are decent, they'll want to confederate for protection.

I think the rate is 1 relation point per 1k gold, and the decay is not trivial so the bonus relation point is removed after 10 turns or so.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

You can't, it sucks.

That said, you should always take the opportunity to let rebels crop up so you can whip them down. This boosts order and is good for your army.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 19, 2018

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

I think the rate is 1 relation point per 1k gold, and the decay is not trivial so the bonus relation point is removed after 10 turns or so.

Where are you getting that number from?

Small gifts raise relations +10 each, and the cost of the gift depends on their economic strength.

It does fade away eventually but if you can afford you can keep sending them gifts to reup it if you need to. You mostly do it because they won't want to make any treaties with you at all if they don't like you enough, so you give them enough gifts that they want to sign a treaty then that'll raise your relations so you don't have to keep giving them gifts.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trujillo posted:

Where are you getting that number from?

Small gifts raise relations +10 each, and the cost of the gift depends on their economic strength.

It does fade away eventually but if you can afford you can keep sending them gifts to reup it if you need to. You mostly do it because they won't want to make any treaties with you at all if they don't like you enough, so you give them enough gifts that they want to sign a treaty then that'll raise your relations so you don't have to keep giving them gifts.

I did my own testing once as by sending different sizes of cash to my confederation targets, it was in warhammer 1 and I think I played as dwarves. I did not try out more than one or two target factions and I mostly played with custom gift sizes and not the preset ones.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have put many hundreds of hours in this game and still do not know the controls.

How do I make my dudes all just march forward and attack if they hit someone but otherwise stay in formation?

I often see while placing units that people are able to basically pick up and place a unit (or units) and you'll see the array of golden dots or whatever. THey'll then move to the new location and end up in that formation. They don't rotate at all, it's just a slide/pan kind of thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

jokes posted:

I have put many hundreds of hours in this game and still do not know the controls.

How do I make my dudes all just march forward and attack if they hit someone but otherwise stay in formation?

I often see while placing units that people are able to basically pick up and place a unit (or units) and you'll see the array of golden dots or whatever. THey'll then move to the new location and end up in that formation. They don't rotate at all, it's just a slide/pan kind of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKekrN6XXoU

I didn't know half this poo poo and the alt + lmb blew my loving mind.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Also, the way to get units to move in formation is lock their control group. Hit ctrl+g or the lock button next to the control group number in the bottom bar. They'll move at the same speed of the slowest unit in the formation and will stay in formation. If you give them an attack order while it's locked they'll attack whatever they run into most of the time. You'll probably want to give a group attack order and then start giving individual attack orders because they don't alway's get a proper charge in if you just give a group attack order.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 20, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Alt+left click to move formations will blow your loving mind once you realize it’s a thing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I keep forgetting about these. Gonna have to really try using them next battle.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zudgemud posted:

oops, yeah, that is right. got skaven on the brain.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Also, raiding stance got stealth nerfed and only applies a -3 PO modifier in the newest patch. I get it was a bit gamey before, but it kind of blows.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Perhaps you should all learn the greatest lessons: Do not raid your home, for home is where the heart is <3

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Jack Trades posted:

I wasn't really looking for back pats. Only to vent because of how frustrating this game is. :shrug:

What are you having trouble with specifically? Or is it more just your earlier dislike of the map detail plus things like Skaven ambush sallies?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Also, raiding stance got stealth nerfed and only applies a -3 PO modifier in the newest patch. I get it was a bit gamey before, but it kind of blows.

I am fine with that. Was tired of having to clean up Skaven rebels.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am fine with that. Was tired of having to clean up Skaven rebels.

why do skaven rebels frequently get four rogers

whhyyy

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Gejnor posted:

Perhaps you should all learn the greatest lessons: Do not raid your home, for home is where the heart is <3

My heart is in open rebellion against its rightfull king. Excuse me while I go Cupid on it with these darkshards.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you raid your home because you're hungry and a home cooked meal is always better than ordering out.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Gejnor posted:

No no, its perfectly fine to complain about this sort of stuff.

Turns out this mod also ALSO somehow become dependant on my dark elf mod Sa'an'ishar.

No i have no idea why, theres a table that doesn't affect anything in this mod but it HAS TO BE THERE OR gently caress YOU ITS CRASH TO DESKTOP TIME BABY.

Ive added the table into this and tested it on its own, works now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0o34xv67oe36zu/gejnor_beastmen_rdone.pack?dl=0

Ironically i feel the opposite, for a pure war experience the paradox diplomatic system is just garbage, i do believe i will stop this war when i FEEL LIKE IT YOU BASTARD.

Thanks Genjor!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

if you're orcs you literally can't afford not to raid your own home.

Also: I really wish there was a way to raze your own settlements or like... sell everything and move on. As a skaven I don't wanna pay the food costs nor pay for buildings on this capital I accidentally occupied and I don't need to occupy every town since I can raze them all and rule among the ruins.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 20, 2018

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

if you're orcs you literally can't afford not to raid your own home.

Also: I really wish there was a way to raze your own settlements or like... sell everything and move on. As a skaven I don't wanna pay the food costs nor pay for buildings on this capital I accidentally occupied and I don't need to occupy every town since I can raze them all and rule among the ruins.

You get some money back when you choose to destroy a building in the building panel, that is as far as it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It would be nice as a player to be able to release a city to another faction, or reestablish an existing one a la paradox games.