Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Wasn't the Spanish Invasion of MesoAmerican one of the options they floated in that survey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Lunethex posted:

If you aren't constantly throwing torches at everyone and every flammable thing on your path I don't know what to tell you.

I'm sorry I follow the Bayek of Siwa ABC's

A - Always
B - Be
C - Sleep Darting

Night night, convoy/shield-bearer/lion. :q:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Shredder posted:

Once I found out you can light the torches in tombs I obsessively have to light every single one.

How do you throw the torches? I can drop them with RT

Hold left trigger before pressing Right trigger. Also works with bodies as well :eng101:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Morter posted:

I'm sorry I follow the Bayek of Siwa ABC's

A - Always
B - Be
C - Sleep Darting

Night night, convoy/shield-bearer/lion. :q:

This is also important. Did you know that if you throw a sleep or poison dart at a source of flame, it turns into a giant AoE cloud?

I didn't learn it until I was an hour or two away from 100%'ing the game a couple weeks ago, and I'd seen it before but had no idea what had happened. If you set an enemy on fire, or throw it at a flame (torches are hard to hit but you can follow up on some hay!) you've got an insanely overpowered tactic.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Lunethex posted:

This is also important. Did you know that if you throw a sleep or poison dart at a source of flame, it turns into a giant AoE cloud?

I didn't learn it until I was an hour or two away from 100%'ing the game a couple weeks ago, and I'd seen it before but had no idea what had happened. If you set an enemy on fire, or throw it at a flame (torches are hard to hit but you can follow up on some hay!) you've got an insanely overpowered tactic.

I found out that first one pretty early on. Having it come from an enemy who's on fire was one I found out by accident way into my post-game career.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My favorite move was on those missions to rescue someone being pulled around in cage. Sneak in quietly, hop on the back as it passes, and then secretly pop the door and carry them away while the cart driver keeps moving on unaware.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Earlier today I was selected (as a VIP and possibly the best player of AC Origins in the world, not sure) to participate in an highly exclusive survey by UbiSoft about this game. I made clear the following

I dont give a gently caress about:
AC lore
modern world poo poo
ships, on any level

I give a big gently caress about:
Egypt setting
open world freedom
Explorer mode to wander and learn history things w/o fights all the time

I'd like more of:
Character/costume customization
variety in enemies
expansions in new locations

Guys they may be coming to me for more input/consulting. The survey went really well.

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Supreme Allah posted:

Earlier today I was selected (as a VIP and possibly the best player of AC Origins in the world, not sure) to participate in an highly exclusive survey by UbiSoft about this game. I made clear the following

I dont give a gently caress about :
AC lore
modern world poo poo
ships, on any level

I give a big gently caress about :
Egypt setting
open world freedom
Explorer mode to wander and learn history things w/o fights all the time

I'd like more of:
Character/costume customization
variety in enemies
expansions in new locations

Guys they may be coming to me for more input/consulting. The survey went really well.

Damnit, man! Have you been reading this thread??? We love the boat stuff, we just want it to suck less! :sweatdrop:

But other than that pretty cool stuff! :thumbsup:

Were any of the questions revealing, like the potential settings from the last survey?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Damnit, man! Have you been reading this thread??? We love the boat stuff, we just want it to suck less! :sweatdrop:

But other than that pretty cool stuff! :thumbsup:

Were any of the questions revealing, like the potential settings from the last survey?

There were at least four or five questions on if you cared at all about the modern world stuff, I'm guessing the feedback is resonating that it generally sucks (or at best is a needless diversion), especially as done in Origins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At level 39 I would say the main area of improvement should be the number of ways to pull guards to specific spots and the number of ways to kill them. There are certainly lots of distractions but that's not the same thing, and some of the creative ways to kill are either so slow or just shy of lethal like poison or lighting a small pot next to someone. Freeing animals or prisoners doesn't reliably kill even a single guard, let alone several.

Just doesn't seem like the way I go through an area killing all the guards is much different at my current level than it was at early levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Supreme Allah posted:

There were at least four or five questions on if you cared at all about the modern world stuff, I'm guessing the feedback is resonating that it generally sucks (or at best is a needless diversion), especially as done in Origins.

They definitely didn't give me any reason to unplug from the Animus. All the cool and amazing things I can do as Bayek and I'm supposed to put that aside to... putz around some small boring cave? Maybe it eventually turns into something cool but the first two times being unplugged hint at nothing compelling to come.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Lobok posted:

They definitely didn't give me any reason to unplug from the Animus. All the cool and amazing things I can do as Bayek and I'm supposed to put that aside to... putz around some small boring cave? Maybe it eventually turns into something cool but the first two times being unplugged hint at nothing compelling to come.

I think "Who's Desmond?" is the only time I cared about the modern setting...

Lobok posted:

At level 39 I would say the main area of improvement should be the number of ways to pull guards to specific spots and the number of ways to kill them. There are certainly lots of distractions but that's not the same thing, and some of the creative ways to kill are either so slow or just shy of lethal like poison or lighting a small pot next to someone. Freeing animals or prisoners doesn't reliably kill even a single guard, let alone several.

Just doesn't seem like the way I go through an area killing all the guards is much different at my current level than it was at early levels.

Yeah, an extra dash of Hitman would serve the series well with the big, set-piece cities and open world layout. :homebrew:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lobok posted:

There's very few moments you have to jump out in Origins -- I think there's five, one of which is just cutscenes, though I might be misremembering. I don't know why they bothered, really; if it was going to be so miniscule why not go the Syndicate route and not give the player control at all?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, an extra dash of Hitman would serve the series well with the big, set-piece cities and open world layout. :homebrew:

Around this time last year I was about finishing with Hitman and yeah, it's hard not to compare. Nothing too elaborate though, just more ways to get guards to stand on an X that I mark and then a few things to do once they're standing there. Like there are things from this same franchise, never mind other games from other developers.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I love this game and want to get all the achievements but I can't make bugs rain from the sky if my life depended on it. I get every other hallucination. I have been standing in a desert for an hour and a half now, doing other poo poo while moving the controller occasionally. Is that not good enough?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I love this game and want to get all the achievements but I can't make bugs rain from the sky if my life depended on it. I get every other hallucination. I have been standing in a desert for an hour and a half now, doing other poo poo while moving the controller occasionally. Is that not good enough?

I got it in the desert west of Siwa by running around in a circle during daytime. Didn't need to do anything specific, I got a couple of different hallucinations before the bugs started dropping from the sky.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I would say the boat stuff in Black Flag was awesome, the boat stuff in Origins, not so much.

I'm hoping that pirate game they are working on is good, but I'm not sure the mechanic is good enough on it's own without the rest of the stuff that AC4 had going on.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
A preview of Discovery mode (coming feb 23), this is a full walkthrough of the Great pyramid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_KOpq_BH1g

I can't wait for this

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Shredder posted:

I'm hoping that pirate game they are working on is good, but I'm not sure the mechanic is good enough on it's own without the rest of the stuff that AC4 had going on.
Sadly it's a multiplayer game with just some grinding you can do solo, it doesn't have a singleplayer campaign at all.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Palpek posted:

Sadly it's a multiplayer game with just some grinding you can do solo, it doesn't have a singleplayer campaign at all.

Yeah, I was super stoked when I heard about this and my excitement fizzled out like a goblin fart when I found out it was MP only...

Supreme Allah posted:

A preview of Discovery mode (coming feb 23), this is a full walkthrough of the Great pyramid

I can't wait for this

Oh my lort it's like the best parts of the Mass Effect Codex combined with an Epcot ride! :neckbeard:
I may enjoy DTM more than the actual game...

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
This video goes through the character options in Discovery mode, you can play 25 people, from Bayak/Caeser/Cleopatra, to random roman soldier, or egyptian citizen, and some kid characters -- Bayak's son, Reda the merchant and, Shadya.

The adults can do daily tasks of average Egyptians for a 'day in the life' feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KlF_A55N1Q

I cant find where it was mentioned but apparently they're selling this mode as it's own 'game' for $20 at some point (everyone that already has the game gets it for free)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Supreme Allah posted:

I can't wait for this

Very cool!

One weird tidbit from that vid was when they said "It's believed it took between 600,000 and 2 millions blocks to create the pyramid."

I mean, I know we can't pull it apart to count, but that's quite the gap between how many blocks there could be in there.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Precontact Mesoamerica has been my dream setting for years. There's so much potential. Tenochtitlan, a visually distinct island city bigger than almost any Old World contemporary filled with markets, palaces, pyramids, aqueducts, and floating islands, would be a great setting. You could fulfil the promises ACIII made by letting your character participate in fullscale flower wars; maybe taking captives to build your own Brotherhood? Setting it during the Spanish invasion provides a natural opportunity to ramp up the kinds of weapons at your disposal, from macahuitls and bolas to guns and horses. There would also be loads of old ruins to explore, of course.

Please stop. You're making me want to cry.

It's crazy there hasn't been an open world game set in the pre-contact Americas yet.

I'm pretty sure Ubi chose Cleopatra's Egypt because it's the sweet spot where we actually have detailed historical documentation and know a lot about daily life/politics/culture/etc., but don't have to open the political can of worms that is the rise of early Christianity in the Roman Empire. As far as Mesoamerica goes there's plenty of ethnohistorical data about the Aztec, enough to do a pretty respectable historical recreation. Plus a game set during the Maya and Olmec periods would require a lot more conjecture and plot set up, and in any case you could still check out their ruins in a later setting like in Origins. The Aztecs would also have had plenty of vertical architecture .

Incidentally, can you imagine an open world game like origins spanning the Inca empire? I can and it loving rules.

Supreme Allah posted:

Awesome! Thanks for letting Ubi know what people actually think of their game. They've never struck me as especially great at understanding what players want. Did you talk to them at all about the quality of quest writing? After finishing the game I feel like that's the only major thing really lacking from Origins.

Supreme Allah posted:

Origins Discovery Tour Mode details.

I'm buying this for everyone in my life under 10. I would have gone absolutely apeshit for this as a kid.

Vedius Pollio fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 14, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Oh my lort it's like the best parts of the Mass Effect Codex combined with an Epcot ride! :neckbeard:
Putting it that way makes me (and my nerdy child) look forward to this even more.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So has anyone figured out why the NBC Olympics primetime set was stolen from The First Civilization?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

macnbc posted:

So has anyone figured out why the NBC Olympics primetime set was stolen from The First Civilization?

(After checking his hidden blade, Al Roker turns and begins his silent, shadowy trek across the DMZ)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wish it were possible to add Discovery Tour Mode to every AC game. Even the 2D ones.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What weapons do you like to use in Horde Mode?

I've only tried it the one time and it was too late for me to change the 2x two-handed loadout I was trying without reloading but I think I did okay with the flaming sceptre and the health-on-hit copper mace. Might switch out the sceptre for the instant charge dual blades or the health-on-hit sword you get from Kosey.

I've got a few more Phylakes to beat and a bunch of papyrus locations to find so I'm sure there are more Legendaries I don't have yet.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Im amazed that Bayek just crafted a wristband in the woods using:
-6 tiger pelts (4 usable units each)
-4 hippo skins (4 usable units each)
-22 bronze nuggets
-18 iron nuggets

Since the wristband is small and light, imagine how much scrap and shavings were left over

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I wish I got that survey because I dig the modern day stuff and I don't care if you all suffer

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Modus Pwnens posted:

I wish I got that survey because I dig the modern day stuff and I don't care if you all suffer

Can I interest you in Watch_Dogs?

But seriously. Amazing historical settings? Nah, let's explore this Abstergo office building!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Where exactly has the modern day stuff gone anyway? I remember Assassins Creed 3 was supposed to be the big finale of it and reading the plot on Wikipedia implies that this somewhat happened, but they're just carrying it on anyway? Its pretty funny pissing away all these resources on something that most people find an obstacle to get to the good stuff.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gorn Myson posted:

Where exactly has the modern day stuff gone anyway?

Nowhere

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Literally nothing happened in the modern plot since Desmond died for our sins. Both factions are locked in the same plot point while some old characters pop in here and there but then nothing gets taken forward or resolved. It's been like this for 5 main games now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the current Modern Day Experience consists mostly of getting out of bed and reading some emails on a laptop. I play video games for escapism so no thank you.

there's also a part where you run and jump around in the cave a little bit I guess but even that is more fun in ancient Egypt

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
New Game+ is coming tomorrow, and I still haven't finished Kingdom Come or DQ Builders or Shadow of the Colossus or The Surge..

Someone add 6 hours to every day just for gaming, please :cry:

Edit: patch notes https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1840651

quote:

Patch 1.3.0 will be deployed on all platforms tomorrow, February 20th.

Patch Size
Xbox One: 5.5 GB
PS4: 5.3 GB
Uplay PC: 4.8 GB
Steam: 2.6 GB

Patch Highlights

The “Discovery Tour by Assassin’s Creed: Ancient Egypt” game mode added. Explore Ancient Egypt from a fascinating historical perspective with a new mode that lets visitors’ free roam the map to learn about Egypt’s history and daily life in guided tours.

New Game+ game mode added. Start a new game while keeping their weapons, outfits, and abilities. You will be able to access New Game + after you have completed the last main quest of the game.

The Hidden Ones

Fixed an issue where the completion of the Sinai region would not reach 100% in the Atlas

Main Game

Quest

Fixed various issues with Quest Objectives that could disappear when traveling outside of Egypt
Fixed an issue with the spawning of Hotephres’ boat in the quest “The Crocodile’s Scales”
Fixed an issue preventing the playable character to go back into the vault if he died after completing the quest “The Final Weighing”

Activities

Increased the distance the player needs to be from some Rebel Camps before Assist Rebel event are respawned
Fixed an issue with Hippodrome adversaries stopping at the end of a race
Fixed various issues with Daily Quests and Reda that could not be available at times
Fixed an issue with the camera having no collision with the Boss of the Trials of the God
Fixed an issue preventing targets of “Avenge a Friend” quests from being damaged
Fixed the Trial of the God Community Challenge that could give all the items of the Anubis Gold Set after banking the reward
Fixed the synchronization of the Classic Challenges with the Ubisoft Club servers following a network failure
Fixed various papyruses locations that did not show the interact action

Gameplay

Improved the ragdoll visual
Added a warning message when going out of bound with Senu
Fixed an issue that caused the mount not being summoned when whistled
Fixed a bow usage animation issue while in stealth
Fixed various issues where the playable character could remain stuck
Fixed an issue where various character’s hands would end up crooked after exiting to the Quest menu
Fixed an issue where NPC could stand still after being killed with an air assassination
Fixed an issue that could prevent the interaction with the mount merchant in the Refugee Haven to work
Fixed an issue that could make cart fly in the air following a collision

User Interface

Fixed an issue with the Animus Pulse effect disappearing on certain camera angles in Photo Mode

World

Fixed various issues where the playable character could go through collisions
Fixed various issues with the spawning of NPCs
Fixed floating boats

Graphics & Audio

Fixed various mismatches between subtitle and audio

System

Fixed an infinite loadtraveling after fast travelling a long distance via the eagle
Improved overall stability of the game application

PC

Added some tooltips and other minor improvements to the Performance Analyzer menu
Fixed an issue with the playable character that could not walk through a narrow pass
Fixed the display of GPU temperature and usage metrics
Fixed various issues with the key mapping with the Hippodrome
Fixed various issues with the World Map on multi-monitors setups
Fixed several stuttering issues
Fixed multiple issues with the localized voiceover in the quests “Incoming Threat” and “A Gift from the Gods”

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 19, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sweet merciful christ finally.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Palpek posted:

Literally nothing happened in the modern plot since Desmond died for our sins. Both factions are locked in the same plot point while some old characters pop in here and there but then nothing gets taken forward or resolved. It's been like this for 5 main games now.

The modern stuff been mediocre at best since the Ezio trilogy but so have the games, Origins aside. The one where you're in a video game company that has to cynically pump out these simulations every year is just sad.

I like all the conspiracy poo poo and if poking around office buildings reading emails is good enough for Deus Ex it's good enough for Assassin's Creed. The games are so long, and frankly repetitive that I enjoy getting little breaks for a different environment.

E: I'm also really excited for the discovery tours.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Lobok posted:

What weapons do you like to use in Horde Mode?

I've only tried it the one time and it was too late for me to change the 2x two-handed loadout I was trying without reloading but I think I did okay with the flaming sceptre and the health-on-hit copper mace. Might switch out the sceptre for the instant charge dual blades or the health-on-hit sword you get from Kosey.

I've got a few more Phylakes to beat and a bunch of papyrus locations to find so I'm sure there are more Legendaries I don't have yet.

Viper Tooth has a chance to poison on hit, which it usually does. This creates a giant cloud of death due to poisoned bodies lying all over the place, which you can just stand in the middle of or kite through while everyone stops to choke/throw up. Also the overpower is loving awesome for groups of guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Modern day stuff wouldve actually been good if they hadn't half-assed the whole Animus training the player (Desmond) ancient assassin skills and had an actual cool sequence where you are using all youve learned. I can't remember AC3 all that much but you ran on some rafters and also had a gun and it sucked.