Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

oh, that explains a fuckload as to why i very definitely got drakeguns from boxes but couldn't see them in my inventory as the ranger

a fuckload more than the game explained to me, really

Yeah, I was very confused with that until I unlocked Iron Breaker which was what I wanted to play all along anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005
I agree the power level stuff is a bad system, but I wouldn't stress over it. If the level cap actually is 30 (makes more sense as 25 but whatever), it's pretty quickly going to become a non-issue to the people genuinely concerned about it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is Vermintide 2 better or worse than Vermintide 1 when played solo?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gort posted:

Is Vermintide 2 better or worse than Vermintide 1 when played solo?

it's impossible to tell at this point since spawns are so hosed and they're clearly not gonna stay that way

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't think the bots will use your characters gear and career choices. I think the bw bot still doesn't use the staff. There's a vt1 mod that fixes this by always making the wh bot/or others spawn instead of the bw bot. Don't know why they didn't cannibalize that mod.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 19, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I can't even self quote my gigantic writeups here on SA, I actually broke the character limit and would need multiple posts. So here are links to the threads. You need an account to view them.

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/total-kerillian-feedback-overview/7748/1
https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/total-gameplay-feedback-overview/13423

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Do the bots interact with objectives at all? Do you have to do less work if there are fewer human players?

I just remember attempting to solo any mission in Vermintide 1 was a hell of chopping at chains on your own which were designed for four players to chop, and the bots were no help at all. Or spending 80% of the mission carrying barrels because the bots wouldn't do it and you had to do the carrying of four players on your own. I get that it's primarily a multiplayer game but just eliminating a few of the chains and barrels for parties with fewer members would have been so little work to implement.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I don't think the bots will use your characters gear and career choices.

It would be weird if it turned out to work this way because bots in vermint1de (i'm sorry) use whatever the host has equipped on that character.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Gort posted:

Do the bots interact with objectives at all? Do you have to do less work if there are fewer human players?

I just remember attempting to solo any mission in Vermintide 1 was a hell of chopping at chains on your own which were designed for four players to chop, and the bots were no help at all. Or spending 80% of the mission carrying barrels because the bots wouldn't do it and you had to do the carrying of four players on your own.

same deal here, bots won't do objectives in any fashion.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Can't believe all the characters die at the end of the latest free map.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Gort posted:

They'll sometimes pick up Tomes, but this is annoying to get working reliably. They'll never pick up Grimoires, for obvious reasons.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Can't believe all the characters die at the end of the latest free map.

Skandranon posted:

They'll sometimes pick up Tomes, but this is annoying to get working reliably. They'll never pick up Grimoires, for obvious reasons.

They pick up tomes if they have nothing else and immediately discard when they find a health item. And they will run towards that item to get rid of that filthy book ASAP.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Lunethex posted:

They pick up tomes if they have nothing else and immediately discard when they find a health item. And they will run towards that item to get rid of that filthy book ASAP.

I suppose the bots have no need of loot...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I really hope that this new loot system which looks like a lootbox duck and acts like a lootbox duck, is in fact not a lootbox duck.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Power levels are confusing and I don't know how they work, but I did get a nice mace for Kruber that makes rats into pulp and if he's classed as the mercenary he swings it so god drat fast it annihilates any hordes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's a mod for vt1 that pinging tomes and grims makes the bots pick them up. So I wouldn't think it would take them too long to mod it for this game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

I really hope that this new loot system which looks like a lootbox duck and acts like a lootbox duck, is in fact not a lootbox duck.

the only way the loot acquisition is different from VT1 is that you can choose when you actually get the loot, the random nature of it is completely the same.

also, they're not for sale for real money so uh

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also you outright choose who the items are for.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the crates at the end of a successful match are basically just glorified dice rolls from the first game, but you open them when you want

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

I have serious Concerns about the way they're doing "progression" for unrelated reasons but I think what you're seeing is just a sort of unfortunate way of representing loot on the UI in a post-battlefront 2 world

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LuiCypher posted:

It's not thankfully!

Coolguye posted:

the only way the loot acquisition is different from VT1 is that you can choose when you actually get the loot, the random nature of it is completely the same.

That and sometimes you get two weapons, which is nice.

Tenzarin posted:

There's a mod for vt1 that pinging tomes and grims makes the bots pick them up. So I wouldn't think it would take them too long to mod it for this game.

Not tried it with Grims, but Bots definetly pick up Tomes if you ping them already.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel the crate system could be alright with some tweaks, but, to be frank that kind of sums up a lot of my experience with vermintide 2 so far

'could be alright with some tweaks, a story about some irate footballers and feisty ratpeople'

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Given how quick you can get to max level, I wonder if launch will have a prestige system.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

overall i'm way more worried about the gear treadmill and hero power bullshit than anything else in the game as it stands. classes and class traits and whatever? fine, those can be tweaked. i think they're a fun addition to the game but at worst they're just worthless and you just rely on your own skill to carry you like how it was in vermintide 1.

the weird, janky as gently caress loot system and leveling stuff is what'll potentially make or break the game because it's loving demoralizing compared to how solid things were in the first game. i genuinely had no issues with how things were in 1 once they'd added the praying and stat rerolling and whatever the hell else, but in 2 it feels like they felt obligated to mash in a poorly-thought out treadmill that hammers you down if you're new and gives you gently caress-all to work with later on anyways once you're not. the actual 'increasing-tier crate' thing for the end of match is definitely workable as a concept and like i said it's pretty much just a reskinned dice roll from the first game but everything else attached to it at the hip makes me worried.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Given how quick you can get to max level, I wonder if launch will have a prestige system.

There were left over bits of such a system unused in the V1 source code. Level 30 could be the max because going any higher means you just start 1-shotting things on certain difficulties no matter what.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

overall i'm way more worried about the gear treadmill and hero power bullshit than anything else in the game as it stands. classes and class traits and whatever? fine, those can be tweaked. i think they're a fun addition to the game but at worst they're just worthless and you just rely on your own skill to carry you like how it was in vermintide 1.

the weird, janky as gently caress loot system and leveling stuff is what'll potentially make or break the game because it's loving demoralizing compared to how solid things were in the first game. i genuinely had no issues with how things were in 1 once they'd added the praying and stat rerolling and whatever the hell else, but in 2 it feels like they felt obligated to mash in a poorly-thought out treadmill that hammers you down if you're new and gives you gently caress-all to work with later on anyways once you're not. the actual 'increasing-tier crate' thing for the end of match is definitely workable as a concept and like i said it's pretty much just a reskinned dice roll from the first game but everything else attached to it at the hip makes me worried.

Yeah, either the relevantly colored Gubbins need to be insanely plentiful, or you need to be able to roll traits separate from trait values, or something else entirely because what was there was so very very clearly a barebones skeleton placeholder there's no way that was anything close to a final iteration.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Johnny Joestar posted:

overall i'm way more worried about the gear treadmill and hero power bullshit than anything else in the game as it stands.

Farming gear is way better than what was in vt1 and ifs its a big deal just use cheatengine. Rerolling traits, rerolling the orange trait are in right now, heroic deed(daily objectives) are gonna be in for more gear, and you can easily just farm oranges on hard mode.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 20, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tenzarin posted:

Farming gear is way better than what was in vt1 and ifs its a big deal just use cheatengine.

i think you're misunderstanding the prevalent issue here in that in vermintide 2 you're absolutely required to grind out minor improvement poo poo to be able to effectively hold your own as compared to the first game where fancy gear was mainly a bonus and just playing well was what could carry you 99% of the time.

the former is the kind of thing that can and will drive away players and 'just use cheatengine' doesn't help the game improve or work these things out before it's fully released

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, I'm not that worried about the gear... within 4h of playing Kerillian with some not stupid people, I basically had decent green versions of most(all?) of the weapons, and was able to play and play well in a role that I found fun. How hard it will be to get the uber-perfect version of everything, that is hard to tell, but if they just import the systems in VT1, along with daily/weekly contracts and other bonus things, I don't see it being such a horrible slog.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think you're misunderstanding the prevalent issue here in that in vermintide 2 you're absolutely required to grind out minor improvement poo poo to be able to effectively hold your own as compared to the first game where fancy gear was mainly a bonus and just playing well was what could carry you 99% of the time.

the former is the kind of thing that can and will drive away players and 'just use cheatengine' doesn't help the game improve or work these things out before it's fully released

The hard part of vt1 is getting good utility rolls on your gear or just spawning the items. Most of those are moved to talents or are the orange traits now that is separate from your blue traits which are mainly dmg increases.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm mainly worried about initial impressions to the game and the progression in vermintide 2 is way more daunting than in the first game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You sometimes get like 1-4 items from boxes at the end of a round instead of getting 1 item out of 8 and looking at all the items you didn't get.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm mainly worried about initial impressions to the game and the progression in vermintide 2 is way more daunting than in the first game

Gamers actually complained that there wasn't enough to grind for in the first game because playing a game for the fun of it is unthinkable now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nanomashoes posted:

Gamers actually complained that there wasn't enough to grind for in the first game because playing a game for the fun of it is unthinkable now.

well gently caress, we're all doomed

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think a lot of the worry about gear is kind of meaningless until we see the launch balance of enemy numbers. As it stands, the regularity with which you're swamped with three horde spawns means the increase from power gives bad players a much better chance to frantically carve their way through situations that might otherwise kill them.

I don't think daunting is the right word for the progression, it's definitely easier than a lot of big name games which you start playing, look at a menu and drown in bars and stats and unlock charts. In V2 you play a game, if you win or level up you get a thing, thing might be better, melt things that aren't better. Most people shouldn't have any problems wrapping their head around that. Obviously the whole Payday/Killing Floor/Vermintide L4D-alike thing of race to the hardest difficulty and slam your head against it until you can win with your eyes closed is more dependent on gear this time around, but as long as the core is good people dump hundreds of hours into these kinds of games so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember when the game came out and a bunch of people ground black powder for hours with the bug that let you clear it quickly to get a bunch of orange weapons, and then never played the game again because they were just there to see approximated numbers go up instead of playing the video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember when some of my friends didn't get some of the DLC weapons until the various ratfight advent calendars. The old loot system was really frustrating about that kind of stuff.

Hell, I didn't get a Falchion for ages.

• Locked thread