Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Deteriorata posted:

My son encountered a deer in the road once. He panic braked and managed to stop just in front of it. Then it freaked out and jumped straight into his car anyway, denting the front fender.

Stupid fuckers.

Deer are still running from their old playbook when the game has changed.
Their tactic of random moves, sudden changes and whatnot is really good for predators that are jumping around.

They really don't expect this predator (a car) to just keep moving in a straight line. That's why they'll sometimes end up doubling back and running right into a vehicle.

Also because they are retarded as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kangaroos are also pretty bloody stupid. They'll bound along next to your car for a while and then suddenly jump right in front of you.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

shortspecialbus posted:

Herman the German is still going strong 75+ years after being built.

I wrote the article most of that wikipedia entry is based on

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Kangaroos are also pretty bloody stupid. They'll bound along next to your car for a while and then suddenly jump right in front of you.

I read about this, and apparently the problem is that animals like kangaroos have learned to confuse predators by suddenly cutting in front of them. It takes the pursuer more time and effort to swing themselves around than to simply turn a little and follow.

The problem is the kangaroos underestimate just how fast cars are.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kangaroos suck anyway

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I creamed a dog once that darted out, cleared me, changed its mind, went back, cleared me again, then changed its mind again and tried again.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Pepperoneedy posted:

I wrote the article most of that wikipedia entry is based on

That is neat! Thanks for linking it, I'll give it a read.

Edit: your other articles on that site look neat too. Bookmarking for future reading!

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 19, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Squirrels also have an evolutionary reason for the things they do on the road. When a tiny prey animal notices a predator in the area, the first thing they do is freeze -- maybe the hawk or whatever hasn't seen the squirrel yet, and its camouflage might keep it hidden, but as soon as it moves it's given away. They'll remain frozen until the predator leaves the area. If it looks like the hawk has already spotted them and is heading straight for them -- well, the best thing to do is to wait until it's in a terminal dive, when it's heading for the squirrel on a ballistic path and can't easily change direction, and then dodge away at the last second.

And as far as squirrels are concerned, cars work the same way

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I hit a deer once and then saw it spinning away like a top in the rear-view mirror. RIP road rat

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Part of day 1 training for all of our drivers is not to veer for deer. The last thing you want to try in a sudden road varmint situation is :siren::siren:ACTION DRIVING:siren::siren:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KvxOuC7Bhc

An oldie but a goodie. To this day I still say "now we have angered the machine" when something goes wrong.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

At least the guy seems to be taking the "Call a professional" advice to heart.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Trabant posted:

At least the guy seems to be taking the "Call a professional" advice to heart.

Similar to that, I just saw this posted to my city's subreddit today:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

FuturePastNow posted:

I hit a deer once and then saw it spinning away like a top in the rear-view mirror. RIP road rat

I did the same a bunch of years ago driving late at night. Dumb bastard decided the 3 second gap between cars would be plenty to cross the freeway.

My parents had a deer suicide on my dad's truck a couple of years ago. They were driving home and mama deer just couldn't take it anymore, bolted out of the woods, and blammo, into the rear driver's side door :psyduck:

Baby deer evidently paused in a WTF moment and sort of wandered back into the woods.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Part of day 1 training for all of our drivers is not to veer for deer. The last thing you want to try in a sudden road varmint situation is :siren::siren:ACTION DRIVING:siren::siren:

As a person who learned to drive in northern MN:
1. Take the deer, not the ditch. Comp covers hitting a deer, it does not cover the ditch.
2. If a deer jumps out in front of you, steer into it. That way you pass behind. If you steer away, you'll hit it. If it changes direction, you and it were screwed anyway.
3. There's no such thing as one deer. If you see one, look behind it for the other. Come to a complete stop if you have to.
4. Save the deer and eat it if you can. If you break it's neck clean and don't smush it, there's good meat there. If anything, you can save the hide. Once the cop or game warden calls it good, enjoy your venison. They don't mind.
5. Do not hit the deer dead on. If it comes through your window, it will not die and will be quite upset. An angry deer sitting on your lap will likely kill you.
6. The deer *will* jump in front of you. It's a given. They always do. I once had a buck break it's neck by ramming the car while we were passing it slowly. They are silly creatures.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

I did the same a bunch of years ago driving late at night. Dumb bastard decided the 3 second gap between cars would be plenty to cross the freeway.

My parents had a deer suicide on my dad's truck a couple of years ago. They were driving home and mama deer just couldn't take it anymore, bolted out of the woods, and blammo, into the rear driver's side door :psyduck:

Baby deer evidently paused in a WTF moment and sort of wandered back into the woods.

The Bambi reboot will be 8 minutes long.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The Bambi reboot will be 8 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-wUdetAAlY

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good thing they're tasty.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Similar to that, I just saw this posted to my city's subreddit today:

Oh hey I used to live in Burlington.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I spent a year there one weekend.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

mostlygray posted:

1. Take the deer, not the ditch. Comp covers hitting a deer, it does not cover the ditch.
2. If a deer jumps out in front of you, steer into it. That way you pass behind. If you steer away, you'll hit it. If it changes direction, you and it were screwed anyway.
3. There's no such thing as one deer. If you see one, look behind it for the other. Come to a complete stop if you have to.
4. Save the deer and eat it if you can. If you break it's neck clean and don't smush it, there's good meat there. If anything, you can save the hide. Once the cop or game warden calls it good, enjoy your venison. They don't mind.
5. Do not hit the deer dead on. If it comes through your window, it will not die and will be quite upset. An angry deer sitting on your lap will likely kill you.
6. The deer *will* jump in front of you. It's a given. They always do. I once had a buck break it's neck by ramming the car while we were passing it slowly. They are silly creatures.

Northern Minnesota? What are your driving rules for moose?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Whooping Crabs posted:

Run. They're predators.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Whooping Crabs posted:

Moose will kill you and your car dead as gently caress

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mustached Demon posted:

Run. They're predators.

No way, predators are a bunch of candy rear end pissbabys compared to moose. Moose don't even own guns, never mind lasers, explosives, and armor plates.

Would have been a very different movie if they had to be unarmed and naked while they try kill Schwarzenegger.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 20, 2018

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

mostlygray posted:

Deer needs some non-slip shoes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Captain Foo posted:

Moose will kill you and your car dead as gently caress
Wikipedia stats

White Tail Deer
Male: 150 lbs

Moose
Male: 840 – 1,500 lbs (Adult)

1958 Volkswagen Beetle
1610 lbs

Hitting a moose is like slamming into an angry Volkswagen Beetle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bum the Sad posted:

Wikipedia stats

White Tail Deer
Male: 150 lbs

Moose
Male: 840 – 1,500 lbs (Adult)

1958 Volkswagen Beetle
1610 lbs

Hitting a moose is like slamming into an angry Volkswagen Beetle.

Also, the moose is structured so that most of that weight is up high enough to clear your bumper/hood and impact directly on the windshield. It's like they were designed to take the driver with them when they got hit.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

Also, the moose is structured so that most of that weight is up high enough to clear your bumper/hood and impact directly on the windshield. It's like they were designed to take the driver with them when they got hit.

You're right, it's a loving battering ram on stilts.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If you hit a moose you're breaking its legs and then the remaining 1300 lbs falls through your windshield onto your lap

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mostlygray posted:

They are silly creatures.

But so majestic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfcpADtpP8w

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEhM2Byk7w&t=78s

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Captain Foo posted:

If you hit a moose you're breaking its legs and then the remaining 1300 lbs falls through your windshield onto your lap

Or you don't break it's legs, it gets up, and murders you because you dared to get between it and wherever it was going.

Moose will murder for pleasure so you're hosed if you actually piss one off.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mustached Demon posted:

Or you don't break it's legs, it gets up, and murders you because you dared to get between it and wherever it was going.

Moose will murder for pleasure so you're hosed if you actually piss one off.

MurderMoose would be a great Canadian death metal band name.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

MurderMoose would be a great Canadian death metal band name.

It's gotta be deadmoo5e

How does OSHA treat animals as a hazard anyway? What sort of PPE is there for bears besides spray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I had a friend hit a brown bear in her 2 week old RSX years back in highschool. It basically just fell over, slid along for a few, got up, swiped at the car a bunch of times while growling and then hosed off.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Captain Foo posted:

Also fun to be snoozing in the back seat and wake up to crashes and screaming and a lap full of warm guts.

I was eight.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Or that mother fucker "breaks it's legs", smashes your hood, windshield, roof, rear windscreen, trunk lid and bashes your rear tailights, and then that motherfucker is all like "lol whadup" and gets up and peaces out into the woods. ""hope you have comp rear end in a top hat!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you think regular meese are dangerous, just go camping and wait for a drop moose to land on your tent. That's what actually happened at Bodom lake.

e: I just remembered one of the suspects was called Assmann :newlol:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Sometimes the deer doesn't run off, it comes back and roadrages the driver who hit it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgDEmuMwSSI