Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

when's NASA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kaubocks posted:

when's NASA

Dead.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is everyone ready?

https://esamarathon.com/

However, the actual marathon schedule doesn't start till on Tuesday. https://esamarathon.com/schedule

I'm not sure ESA is ready

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Celeste is a beautiful game with beautiful mechanics that combine in beautiful ways
https://my.mixtape.moe/uinejq.webm

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The fun AQDQ streamer dude who did an all-boss clear of Bloodborne in ~1:35 recently posted up an Any % run in 34 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXU_FlI5qFE

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario Odyssey question:

Just saw this video, skip to 7:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0bENYZnH6c

Isn't the portal to here in Fossil Falls? Any reason you couldn't use this to skip an insane portion of the game? Had anyone tried this?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mario Odyssey question:

Isn't the portal to here in Fossil Falls? Any reason you couldn't use this to skip an insane portion of the game? Had anyone tried this?

you need 124 moons in order to progress to the moon

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeXReX posted:

you need 124 moons in order to progress to the moon

But what exactly would happen if you beat the level, and got the triple moon that goes you back to the Odyssey... Would other levels be available to go to that you hadn't theoretically unlocked yet because the game thinks it you are flying from this level then you must have done the others? Would other paintings be unlocked enabling travel between worlds with less loading?

I guess I'll have to try it myself if I can figure out how the hell that jump works.

At the least couldn't you grab moons and flags and then when you got to the level legit warp to skip the vast majority of it, having skipped a smaller portion on your initial trip?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Would other levels be available to go to that you hadn't theoretically unlocked yet because the game thinks it you are flying from this level then you must have done the others?
Levels are gated by moon quantity not by plot progress (that's why world peace% exists because you skip a lot of the boss battles in any%) so no, sadly.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mario Odyssey question:

the portal is blank until you reach bowser's castle for the first time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Suspicious Dish posted:

the portal is blank until you reach bowser's castle for the first time.

Ah I thought it was one of those sneak peek portals because they never thought anyone could jump that far. You can get to mushroom kingdom before you officially go there, but in that case they put up an invisible wall.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
why would they spoil bowser's castle that's one of the coolest reveals of the whole game

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Suspicious Dish posted:

why would they spoil bowser's castle that's one of the coolest reveals of the whole game

Bowser's kingdom is good but the REAL unforgettable moment for me was when I first got to luncheon kingdom.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering how Jump-Up Super Star was going to be used in this game, considering how it was the centerpiece of the promotion to the game.

That entire 2D section featuring the song had my face wide in childlike glee as it felt like a victory lap for the Mario series as a whole.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SeXReX posted:

Bowser's kingdom is good but the REAL unforgettable moment for me was when I first got to luncheon kingdom.

So it was an unforgettable luncheon?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the song at the end is unforgivably bad and i dunno how it ever made it into the game.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Groovelord Neato posted:

the song at the end is unforgivably bad and i dunno how it ever made it into the game.

In The Year of Our Lord 2017 inspirational words came from Mario. "We don't know where we're going, but we're gonna get there somehow."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're a soulless, joyless husk who probably hates Crush 40, too

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

grand theft grotto posted:

get the gently caress out

Groovelord Neato posted:

you too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

grand theft grotto posted:

:drat:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was really bad and ruined the whole sequence. belonged in a lovely 3d (but i repeat myself) sonic game.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

woke up today to 10 identical submissions for celeste.

srcom is a really well made service that does a fantastic job of handling the load it puts itself under via some questionable webdev choices

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

https://twitter.com/mecharichter/status/965335492580532226

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was really bad and ruined the whole sequence. belonged in a lovely 3d (but i repeat myself) sonic game.

How many threads you intent on showing your rear end in today?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

the game ripping the camera control away from you as you try to platform on uneven ground that is falling out from under you, oh yeah that's top level poo poo lemme just eat that up all day.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

you're a soulless, joyless husk who probably hates Crush 40, too

That's the problem. Crush 40 set the standard for butt rock way too high, and too butt.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How many threads you intent on showing your rear end in today?

i'm not wrong.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SeXReX posted:

the game ripping the camera control away from you as you try to platform on uneven ground that is falling out from under you, oh yeah that's top level poo poo lemme just eat that up all day.

it's not even a little bit difficult, it's a victory lap

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Groovelord Neato posted:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm not wrong.

gently caress you you stupid piece of poo poo. don't post in here.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

DoctorWhat posted:

To be fair I'm really bad and it took me four tries because the ground kept falling out from under me while going for the last pillar.

But I didn't mind because the music was so uplifting and inspirational I just wanted to listen to it more anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You just have trouble on uneven ground because of your flat feet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

absolutely anything posted:

gently caress you you stupid piece of poo poo. don't post in here.

the truth hurts honey.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I haven't played Odyssey, but are people talking about the awful showtune song they used in the trailer?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

SeXReX posted:

credit goes to LAWatson for this one. Celeste has some serious tech, I can't wait for someone to figure out how to TAS it.
https://puu.sh/zdZiR/95330533a9.mp4

This is an old post, but what's up with that jump 8 seconds into this clip? How does Madeline get so much speed from it?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I can’t play that video on my iPad but i remember the video enough I think? Incoming might make me sound like more of an idiot than usual:

You can do a ground dash and jump at the tail end of it to keep your momentum through the air. If you do it with the right timing, your Dash recharges just as you jump. You can do this from standing -> dash -> jump with some timing practice, or jump in the air, diagonal dash to the ground, jump. That is basically the only Celeste tech i can consistently get and ho boy is it fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Olive! posted:

I haven't played Odyssey, but are people talking about the awful showtune song they used in the trailer?

that song was p good. final sequence has a really bad butt rock song that's insanely out of place in a mario game.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

I can’t play that video on my iPad but i remember the video enough I think? Incoming might make me sound like more of an idiot than usual:

You can do a ground dash and jump at the tail end of it to keep your momentum through the air. If you do it with the right timing, your Dash recharges just as you jump. You can do this from standing -> dash -> jump with some timing practice, or jump in the air, diagonal dash to the ground, jump. That is basically the only Celeste tech i can consistently get and ho boy is it fun.

Thanks. For the curious, I ended up finding this video which talks about this (and other similar techniques) in more detail.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

That one specifically gets more speed than a normal hyper because of the moving block stacked on top.

DoctorWhat posted:

Ok but do it while not stopping to enjoy the spectacle and instead jumping and trying to hit each pillar with as many fireballs as possible while you're running to the next one, you know, speedrunning

Go figure is talk about speedrunning that segment of the game in the speedrun thread

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've done it in a speedrun and the intensity of execution is fun as hell, albeit demanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
zoast is showing off a new TAS by Sniq and it rules.