Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ulio posted:

He already said he did that but ya if you haven't done big bang it is the best since it also increases other stats as well.

You can redo the final challenge as many times as you want for guts points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zore posted:

There are several in 5 as well

off the top of my head,

Goro, Fake Igor, Kawakami, Mishima

Not gonna argue with Mishima. They present him to you as this dude who just gets dunked on 24/7 and you're supposed to feel bad for him, but after you help him out with his predicament he never stops doing things that continue to get himself dunked on 24/7. Then he tries to claim your successes as his own, which is pretty lovely. At that point, you can't help but join in on the whole Space Jam going on with him, which is absolutely terrible in context and they should not have written him that way if they wanted us to think he was a good person/care about him.

I will contest that the One True Waifu, Kawakami, is a good person though. In the context of the game though - dating your minor student is p. bad, and I won't argue with that.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been rotating between five and save every three or four days, is that good enough?

I've never played a Persona game before.

Yeah that's perfect. It'll serve you well should you play any of the other personas.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zore posted:

You can redo the final challenge as many times as you want for guts points.

Oh I didn't know that since I didn't go there after I finished it and didn't really need guts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope Persona 6 has the decency to be set in university rather than high school. It'd be good if we could get a game where the bizarrely sexualised party members aren't 15 years old.

Also, just finished the fourth palace, and that expanding cat anus at the end was cray.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Steve2911 posted:

I really hope Persona 6 has the decency to be set in university rather than high school. It'd be good if we could get a game where the bizarrely sexualised party members aren't 15 years old.

You poor naive fool (seriously though I would love a Persona game set at university or during some facet of adult life)

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
How many jrprgs exist that feature adults or college students? I remember ff12 had an issue where the protagonist was switched during development to be a teenager so they could market it better or something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ignoring the latter part of your comment because boy has the Final Fantasy thread talked a lot about that topic lately...

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 have the protagonist as a student, and in 3 (and the upcoming 4) he's a teacher, and all his old classmates (read: party members) have jobs.

Radiant Historia recently got a remake on the 3DS, which is a cast of 99% adults

Final Fantasy 7 has one teenager in the party

Final Fantasy 15 has zero teenagers in the party!!!

tl;dr, there are many

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 19, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Persona 2 Eternal Punishment's whole thing is that the cast is mainly adults who are trying to clean up the mess left by the last game's cast of plucky teens.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So It Goes posted:

How many jrprgs exist that feature adults or college students? I remember ff12 had an issue where the protagonist was switched during development to be a teenager so they could market it better or something.

Baltheir and Ashe are definitely not teenagers :can:

Terper posted:

Ignoring the latter part of your comment because boy has the Final Fantasy thread talked a lot about that topic lately...

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 have the protagonist as a student, and in 3 (and the upcoming 4) he's a teacher, and all his old classmates (read: party members) have jobs.

Radiant Historia recently got a remake on the 3DS, which is a cast of 99% adults

Final Fantasy 7 has one teenager in the party

Final Fantasy 15 has zero teenagers in the party!!!

tl;dr, there are many

FXIII only has like six characters but only the worst and least relevant to the story one is a teenager iirc.

I dunno if that really counts as a jrpg though now that I think about it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For a more on topic post, I'm sad that you get ________Akechi_______ so late in the game, they are fun to use.

I'm just waiting to send the calling card for the sixth palace now. The dungeon was significantly better than the previous three, as it did not repeat puzzles a billion times. All my stats are maxed now so hopefully there is still time for me to finish all my social links. I think I'll have to make one more trip into Mementos to finish off character quests, so I'm trying to time them to happen together. Unfortunately I also have more daytime confidants remaining than nighttime so that balance is a little rough.

I am finding that I dislike Yusuke waaaaaaaaaay less than I thought I would based on what I had seen/listened to during streams. In fact he might be a mainstay in my party if I play again.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

So It Goes posted:

Not quite a JRPG, but Valkyria Chronicles features adult characters who are actually reasonably aged for their rank and abilities. The main character is a 24 year old lieutenant, the main commanding officer character is a 37 year old captain. It is also really really good.

On the other hand, Valkyria Chronicles 2 is set in what is basically a high school and almost every character is a completely insufferable stereotype.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So It Goes posted:

I'd say that this is a unique case where it'd make far more sense (creatively) to progress to the next stage of life/education than to return to the same setting again.

Most players of the series started with 4. But even three games in a row set in high school would be a lot to stomach. The school portion of the game never seems to evolve. Hell, Kamoshida is probably the only instance of the series doing something interesting with the high school backdrop.

Once a Japanese series finds a successful pattern to follow it'll take a miracle for the publisher to deviate from it though, so gently caress it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Steve2911 posted:

Once a Japanese series finds a successful pattern to follow it'll take a miracle for the publisher to deviate from it though, so gently caress it.

This isn't really exclusive to Japan

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Terper posted:

tl;dr, there are many

Eh ya but I am sure you could find the high school setting or "teenagers" way more often. This is only in Japanese games if you go into anime, manga or even tv shows. Well its not even a contest. The highschool/teens is by far one of the most popular settings in most Japanese media. Of course anime/manga/games are the most saturated with this because they are targeted toward kids.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I've only played 5 but it seems to me that Persona is only really appropriate with high school aged characters. The game is all about rebellion, desire to change society, and power given to the powerless. High school is a time when people are the most rebellious while at the same time still have the least amount of power in society. The themes don't quite work without this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hikaki posted:

I've only played 5 but it seems to me that Persona is only really appropriate with high school aged characters. The game is all about rebellion, desire to change society, and power given to the powerless. High school is a time when people are the most rebellious while at the same time still have the least amount of power in society. The themes don't quite work without this.

Those themes are only really highlighted in 5. There's no reason 6 couldn't take a completely different angle.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Steve2911 posted:

Those themes are only really highlighted in 5. There's no reason 6 couldn't take a completely different angle.

Persona 4 would have been fine with characters of college age, for instance, with a few minor tweaks to the details of it I think.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IcePhoenix posted:

I am finding that I dislike Yusuke waaaaaaaaaay less than I thought I would based on what I had seen/listened to during streams. In fact he might be a mainstay in my party if I play again.

I wasn't a huge fan of Yusuke and basically benched him and Haru for most of my first playthrough. I had time to kill towards the end though and started doing his social link and discovered I liked him way more than I thought I would. Whenever I get around to my second playthrough Yusuke will get to take center stage.

Haru still appears way too late and has the baggage of being attached to the worst boss, worst palace, and worst story beat Morgana and Ryuji fighting so he runs away

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yusuke is good, you just have to get over the initial hump that is basically his intro. If you weren't a fan of him by the time of Lobsters I'm not sure what to tell you.

Haru.... eh. It doesn't help that her VAing is bleh for me 80% of the time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like Yusuke as a character but I never put him on my party and he's by far my least progressed social link of all my party members. Not sure why.

I maxed my first social link today. No Good Tora is Good Boy Tora now. :unsmith: I remember being really far into P4G before I was able to max anyone out. I'm just coming into August now. :shrug:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So It Goes posted:

The back half of Fire Emblem Awakening has the protagonists be a guy in his early twenties, his time traveling daughter from the future who (due to time travel) is about the same age, and the customizable player character, who never gets a specific age, but whose design can look like anything between a woman in her thirties and a snot nosed kid.

Still young, but not high school young.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

and the customizable player character, who never gets a specific age, but whose design can look like anything between a woman in her thirties and a snot nosed kid.
I managed to make mine look like my grandmother did when she was in her 50s.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao Sojiro's level 10

"Please don't bang my daughter"

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I made it through the game never touching network fusion/public execution. But in NG+ I'm thinking of making Arsene into an Almighty user. Do I just feed him into the public execution over and over save/loading until I get the amp/boost skills or is there a different way?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I started the 5th Palace last night, and maaaaan some of the fights (the ones against the robots with the id cards) are tough. The Triple Shot skill or whatever it's called is just murdering everyone. I maybe need to bring Ryuji along or something, I was sort of just rolling with Makoto, Ann and Haru for no particular reason. I think Mona has Mediarama also, so he'll probably be useful... and maybe if I have someone with Marakukaja or Masukukaja (I don't think any of my party do, but I probably have a persona which does). I just put it down last night after a 2nd party wipe.

I get what people were saying earlier abuot September being such a drag - I don't mind the VN stuff too much (particularly when it's voice acted, because I just let it play). It's frustrating not having any free time to progress Confidants or Social Stats though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

focusing on the age of the main characters as if it informs anything about the target audience or tone of the story is weird imo

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

On my second (platinum-focused) playthrough I decided to mix up the party and use Yusuke/Ann/Morgana instead of the Ryuji/Ann/Makoto combo I had used on my first playthrough.

Yusuke’s actually really good as a party member for the early & mid-game; his physical skills are good and having (Ma)Sukukaja is handy to have on tap, plus having someone that can cover Ice weaknesses is good because quite a few of the mid-game level Ice-focused personas are pretty crappy.
He’s particularly useful in the mid-game because his physical skills that power up after Baton Passes are mad good, especially when chained after Morgana’s Lucky Punch; saves a lot of SP.

Unfortunately he gets completely outclassed in the late game by Ryuji, and I ended up swapping Ryuji back in for the last two palaces/final bosses because the Matarukaja/Charge/God’s Hand combo is just far, far too good.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

focusing on the age of the main characters as if it informs anything about the target audience or tone of the story is weird imo

I'll have you know it's very important to the story of Final Fantasy 3 that the heroes are like, 6 years old

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Adam Vegas posted:

On my second (platinum-focused) playthrough I decided to mix up the party and use Yusuke/Ann/Morgana instead of the Ryuji/Ann/Makoto combo I had used on my first playthrough.

Yusuke’s actually really good as a party member for the early & mid-game; his physical skills are good and having (Ma)Sukukaja is handy to have on tap, plus having someone that can cover Ice weaknesses is good because quite a few of the mid-game level Ice-focused personas are pretty crappy.
He’s particularly useful in the mid-game because his physical skills that power up after Baton Passes are mad good, especially when chained after Morgana’s Lucky Punch; saves a lot of SP.

Unfortunately he gets completely outclassed in the late game by Ryuji, and I ended up swapping Ryuji back in for the last two palaces/final bosses because the Matarukaja/Charge/God’s Hand combo is just far, far too good.

Yusuke is slightly better for dungeon crawling (where you're less likely to use Matarukaja). His MT damage is also a bit more reliable than Ryuji's. Unfortunately, Charge kinda just removes a lot of what could make Yusuke shine. At least in the Ann v. Morgana/Makoto/Haru argument, Ann doesn't have the sheer utility the others have.

It wouldn't be hard to tweak Morgana so he isn't so heavily outclassed by Makoto at endgame; just give him Concentrate and/or Panta Rhei/Vacuum Wave and he'd at least still be competitive.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I went through with Morgana/Makoto/Ann as my usual party and at the final boss Ann was just annihilating everything as soon as her turn came around. Final Boss barely had a chance to do anything when she was putting out 4-digit damage numbers.

I'm also reminded of another reason Haru is kinda lovely- Psychic gets its technical damage bonus off mental effects but for most of the game I never really found it useful to bother with any. Whereas Makoto's ability to combo off of Shock/Burn/Freeze made her play much nicer with the rest of the cast. Since I used Ann so heavily and she set people on fire so often, Morgana's wind combos against burning also ended up really helping.

Maybe its different on higher difficulties though since I was just on normal. How should I be using Haru in my second playthrough, and who does she work well with?

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
Mona sucks because he doesn't hit s.link 10 until the end of the drat game. He's constantly outclassed imo, you can get Ann/Ryuji/Makoto to rank 10 pretty early on and get them their empowered personas so they aren't getting knocked down all the time.

Re: Haru, I never used her my first time (first playthrough was Ryuji/Ann/Makoto) but my second time thru I swapped Ann for Haru and she hits like a truck. I barely even used her psychic skills, if you put both gun amps on Haru she can wreck poo poo with one shot kill and triple down.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Morgana gets Mediarama way earlier than Makoto, so he's easily your best healer until probably around halfway through palace 6.

Haru is kind of weird. I think she generally works best with her Gun build, and just keeping her Psy stuff to hit weaknesses, since she'll never be as good as Ann and Makoto outclasses her as a nuker endgame. Her barriers are useful if the fight calls for them, and she can crit more reliably than Ryuji/Yusuke. She kinda goes with everybody, but unless you're just using her for Heat Riser, pairing her with the buffing party members (Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto) works good.

Her 'generalist' build is probably One-Shot Kill/Cripple/Snipe/Triple Down/Psy Amp/Evade Nuke/(Ma)Psiodyne, with your choice of Heat Riser/Amrita Shower/Tetrakarn/Makarakarn as a filler slot. But unless something is specifically strong against Gun, you can probably drop Psy Amp or Triple Down for another utility slot.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 20, 2018

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So not including an abortive attempt at P4G a coupla years back (lasting maybe an hour total), this is basically my first Persona game.

I... I love it.

Got past the 4th Palace last night. Man oh man is Despair a BULLSHIT status. Rattled as well. Actually Rattled even moreso since it's basically a death sentence and there's nothing you can do for it. Womp womp.

But yes - aside from the occasional roadbump like that, I have been super enjoying it. Everyone is in the low 30s, and the party I am currently rolling with is: Mona, Makoto and Ann. Mona mostly as just a healer, with Ann as the backup healer and Joker/Makoto as the main damage dealers.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

HaB posted:

So not including an abortive attempt at P4G a coupla years back (lasting maybe an hour total), this is basically my first Persona game.

I... I love it.

Got past the 4th Palace last night. Man oh man is Despair a BULLSHIT status. Rattled as well. Actually Rattled even moreso since it's basically a death sentence and there's nothing you can do for it. Womp womp.

But yes - aside from the occasional roadbump like that, I have been super enjoying it. Everyone is in the low 30s, and the party I am currently rolling with is: Mona, Makoto and Ann. Mona mostly as just a healer, with Ann as the backup healer and Joker/Makoto as the main damage dealers.

Obviously spoilers for it but this was a pretty good LP for P4 that covers the stuff added in the Golden version too if you want the story without having to put in the time.

https://lparchive.org/Persona-4-Golden/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The game is good though so if you enjoy P5, you'll more than likely enjoy P4. If you only played an hour of it, then honestly the game hadn't even really started. The beginning is sloooowwwww. Once you get through the Persona awakening rigmarole, it picks up.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

irlZaphod posted:

The game is good though so if you enjoy P5, you'll more than likely enjoy P4. If you only played an hour of it, then honestly the game hadn't even really started. The beginning is sloooowwwww. Once you get through the Persona awakening rigmarole, it picks up.

Yeah I will probably give it another try after P5. It was near when it first came out, and my tastes are pretty different now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I played 4G after I beat 5 and I enjoyed it immensely.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I got a Vita 2 or 3 years ago to get into the series, so I've been able to play 3/4/5 in order (although I started 5 before I had finished 4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Yusuke and basically benched him and Haru for most of my first playthrough. I had time to kill towards the end though and started doing his social link and discovered I liked him way more than I thought I would. Whenever I get around to my second playthrough Yusuke will get to take center stage.

Haru still appears way too late and has the baggage of being attached to the worst boss, worst palace, and worst story beat Morgana and Ryuji fighting so he runs away

Yusuke, as a party member in battle, I like a lot because he and Ryuji seem to be the best in dealing out high damage. As a character, even late in the story he still seems like he's on a another page than everyone else in the group. I don't know if that really makes sense; it just seems like he flip-flops between 'member of the Phanton Thieves' and 'art-school stereotype who's off on another world'.

I'm glad that you said that about Haru, because I have the same issue. She enters the story so late, and everything related to her feels like an after-though. After you complete the 5th dungeon and her dad dies, she mostly seems okay with it. It seems like she'd have major trust issues with the group, and would be under the impression that they misled her.

It seems like a lot of people online really like her, though.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 21, 2018