Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It Comes at Night was one of my favorite movies from last year, but I also went in with zero expectations and wasn’t even aware it existed until I showed up at the theater that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy crap Black Butterfly is so stupid.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

How bad is Solomon Kane?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Movie's really good. Everybody with Prime should check it out if you like dry humor.

Thanks for the recommendation, pretty great little heist movie. "Ocean's 7-11" as the movie itself says.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Asnorban posted:

How bad is Solomon Kane?

Solomon Kane is kinda ok but I really don't remember much of it, so make of that what you will. I remember the opening scene being the coolest part.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Asnorban posted:

How bad is Solomon Kane?

Workmanlike pulp adventure - not particularly memorable for anything, but not terrible.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

dreamcatcher is miles into so bad its good territory. ive watched it like 5 times.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

veni veni veni posted:

Holy crap Black Butterfly is so stupid.

It's an exceptional piece of trash, I dig it.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the Dreamcatcher movie sucked balls, but the novel was pretty good, right? I know it was written when King was on painkillers; which didn't bother me because his best work from the 70s and 80s was written on drugs, too.

Or am I thinking of a different one?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K. Waste posted:

It's an exceptional piece of trash, I dig it.

It's so loving bad I feel like everyone should watch it once. It's definitely not boring. I can't remember the last time I made it all the way through such a trainwreck of a movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Black Butterfly is entertainingly trashy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

dreamcatcher is miles into so bad its good territory. ive watched it like 5 times.

Me too, it's just so straight-faced about all the absurdity going on, it's really amazing. B-movie writing with A-movie casting and production are always a blast.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

a foolish pianist posted:

Workmanlike pulp adventure - not particularly memorable for anything, but not terrible.

Sounds about right to me. You're better off reading Solomon Kane instead.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

That's a bummer. I was itching for some crazy James Purefoy with a sword action.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

viral spiral posted:

Yeah, the Dreamcatcher movie sucked balls, but the novel was pretty good, right? I know it was written when King was on painkillers; which didn't bother me because his best work from the 70s and 80s was written on drugs, too.

No, the book is loving awful, easily one of his worst. Only Tommyknockers ranks below it. (I don't have to say that this is my opinion, right?)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Asnorban posted:

That's a bummer. I was itching for some crazy James Purefoy with a sword action.

It delivers on that score so you should probably just watch it. Purefoy is good in it, he's the only thing that makes it watchable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

veni veni veni posted:

It's so loving bad I feel like everyone should watch it once. It's definitely not boring. I can't remember the last time I made it all the way through such a trainwreck of a movie.

The thing it has going for it is that it's actually rather beautifully shot. It masquerades as a slow burn thriller but then by about the last thirty minutes or so it just pulls out these two audaciously unearned twists that puts it over the edge from pretty good low budget thriller to this completely unrelated, mean-spirited film that treats everything the preceded it like a bad joke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it is shot well, which felt so at odds with the bad acting and lack of attention to detail that it feels like it takes place in bizarro land from the start, but the concept is compelling so it's entertaining. then boom, dumbest twist ever out of nowhere and the movie shows you all of the stuff you didn't see that would have tipped you off to it. Then they loving retcon the whole movie with "it was all a dream"

I was just sitting in awe for the last 30 minutes that this actually got made.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hell yeah, and it made for one of the best My Year of Flops entries, if you're into that sort of thing:

https://film.avclub.com/my-year-of-flops-case-file-82-dreamcatcher-1798212979

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think some people have mentioned it here, but there's a really neat Korean Zombie movie called Train to Busan that's on Netflix. It's really fun, I recommend it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol, I'm curious what part you found "fun" in Train to Busan

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The action sequences kept me entertained, I dug the pacing, and I really liked the big guy in general. The movie definitely has serious and sad moments but during the rest of it, I had a good time watching it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol, I'm curious what part you found "fun" in Train to Busan

Please, show a little decorum for my train-based Korean zombie melodramas.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Haha, I remember liking it. But in the same way I "liked" Graveyard of the Fireflies or some poo poo.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Like practically all Korean movies, Train to Busan had a dark sense of humor undercutting its action, horror, and melodrama.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You are really misremembering how bleak Train to Busan was if you're comparing it to grave of the fireflies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everybody watch [b]Neo Yokio[b], it is fantastic.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
No, watch Devilman Crybaby. It's better than fantastic.

Also neither are movies.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

You are really misremembering how bleak Train to Busan was if you're comparing it to grave of the fireflies.

I must be, I mostly remember some fighting on a train and a crying little girl in a tunnel

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

bad ben is an ultra low budget found footage film about the worlds bravest man utilizing the worlds most sophistcated home security camera system.

im ashamed to say i enjoyed it. gonna watch the sequels with subdued expectations though

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bad ben is an ultra low budget found footage film about the worlds bravest man utilizing the worlds most sophistcated home security camera system.

im ashamed to say i enjoyed it. gonna watch the sequels with subdued expectations though

Where did you see this?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been putting off watching A Dark Song for a while but I really liked it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Where did you see this?

amazon prime

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aight.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

If you're looking for a good new horror movie, there's a Netflix Original called The Ritual, and it owns!

It's hard to talk about because you're better off going in blind, but the short of it would be "some friends get lost in the woods."

I watched this last night and it was extremely my poo poo. Looking for more things like it.

Seen the Devil's Pass flick, the two where the group of adventure junky girls go caving; those I really enjoyed (though the end of the second cave movie pissed me right off, probably as intended). I tried the recent Blair Witch, I thought it was a swing and a miss.

I guess I like horror movies that take place in secluded areas? I don't know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pumped up for school posted:

I watched this last night and it was extremely my poo poo. Looking for more things like it.

Seen the Devil's Pass flick, the two where the group of adventure junky girls go caving; those I really enjoyed (though the end of the second cave movie pissed me right off, probably as intended). I tried the recent Blair Witch, I thought it was a swing and a miss.

I guess I like horror movies that take place in secluded areas? I don't know.

If you have HBO I highly recommend As Above, So Below. It's like found-footage horror meets Indiana Jones.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

If you have HBO I highly recommend As Above, So Below. It's like found-footage horror meets Indiana Jones.

I thought that was surprisingly good. Liked the ending.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Basebf555 posted:

I like to pretend it is a Laura Croft movie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The Ritual was so cool

It got kinda goofy at the end in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A MIRACLE posted:

The Ritual was so cool

It got kinda goofy at the end in a good way

it's basically Predator but with middle-aged British guys instead of testosterone golems, and a giraffe-sized carnivorous moose with human arms for tusks instead of an invisible alien hunter