Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Enfys posted:

Some crazy lady is posting about paying an accountant in leggings, but half the thread never notices any actual content anymore because they are constantly tripping over themselves to remind each other that horses exist and that many years ago, Ruddha made a funny post

i'm lost, is this a post about horses being BWM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
"No no, it's not a pyramid, it's a wealth triangle!"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Someday I will find proof of a MLM company that pays out in trailer delivered horses.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Enfys posted:

Some crazy lady is posting about paying an accountant in leggings, but half the thread never notices any actual content anymore because they are constantly tripping over themselves to remind each other that horses exist and that many years ago, Ruddha made a funny post

Poor old Enfys, thought of goons and cried

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bad With Memes: random horseshit

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7nz4fh/served_with_a_lawsuit_for_a_debt_that_has_not/

Served with a lawsuit for a debt that has not been reported to credit in over 5 years posted:

Young and stupid me wanted to go to a fancy technical college back in 2004. I accrued a total of roughly $20,000 in private student loan debt through Sallie Mae. Being young, dumb, and poor, I always avoided the collectors, and after about seven years, the debt disappeared from my credit report. People stopped calling, it appeared as if a miracle had occurred...

Today, at least 5 years after the last time I heard from anyone from Sallie Mae, or their affiliates, I was served with a lawsuit for the amount of $56,745. Sure enough, it is over the matter of the student debt. I'm barely making ends meat as-is, so I have absolutely no clue what to do about this situation. I have 21 days to dispute the debt. Does the fact that it was not reported on my credit for the last 5 years have any bearing on the matter? What are my options? Can anyone clarify whether or not bankruptcy is an option?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Now I’m confused. Why would it disappear from his report?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Youth Decay posted:

Bad With Money 2018: Maybe I could pay the accountant in leggings

This hurts to look at. Like, they had to know they were in trouble before this, right?

...right?

obligatory: they don't even know they're in trouble now

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dick Nipples posted:

Now I’m confused. Why would it disappear from his report?

No action for 7 years and it should disappear. That doesn't mean the debt itself is gone. Now it's accrued enough interest that they want to sue him for it, and because of our hosed up private student loan laws he is just as liable for the debt as if it were a government loan.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, cash gifts from family are always a bad idea unless they're 100% no strings attached, no power granted to the giver.

My grandparents left me a $40k trust when I was born, and my parents said I could use it as a down-payment on a house some 12 years ago. I've since paid off the 80% that was financed, but technically it's owned outright by the trust and so I need my parents to sign off on a sale.

They're refusing to sign because I'm being "unappreciative" by wanting to sell and buy something else.

OH well! At least when I'm 40 I become the owner, unless my parents get mad at me one day between now and then? I'm considering that money gone because I refuse to be controlled in any way for any sum of money, but the whole thing is very gross and not doing our relationship any favors.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Spokes posted:

This hurts to look at. Like, they had to know they were in trouble before this, right?

...right?

obligatory: they don't even know they're in trouble now

I like that the 'boutique' is one of those pre-built sheds from Lowe's or Home Depot.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, cash gifts from family are always a bad idea unless they're 100% no strings attached, no power granted to the giver.

My grandparents left me a $40k trust when I was born, and my parents said I could use it as a down-payment on a house some 12 years ago. I've since paid off the 80% that was financed, but technically it's owned outright by the trust and so I need my parents to sign off on a sale.

They're refusing to sign because I'm being "unappreciative" by wanting to sell and buy something else.

OH well! At least when I'm 40 I become the owner, unless my parents get mad at me one day between now and then? I'm considering that money gone because I refuse to be controlled in any way for any sum of money, but the whole thing is very gross and not doing our relationship any favors.

Maybe they don’t like your future wife that flipped at the thought of signing a prenup?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You probably hosed this up by not taking the money out of trust to buy the house, then putting the house in a new trust just for you. Pretty sure that's how it normally works.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh yeah, there's a million and one ways I could've avoided this. I'm not trying to say "how could this have happened!!".

Accepting money from family is BWM unless it's literally "here's some cash, do whatever you want with it and never pay it back"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh yeah, there's a million and one ways I could've avoided this. I'm not trying to say "how could this have happened!!".

Accepting money from family is BWM unless it's literally "here's some cash, do whatever you want with it and never pay it back"

Have you actually verified that the title is how you think it is? Maybe spend an hour with an attorney to lay out the options.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
How did the trust get sole title to your house, why would any real estate attorney or mortgage underwriter recommend such a situation if you were presumably the sole mortgage debtor? I would suggest you just rent it out as an investment property and buy a new house to live in that you wish to occupy but since the trust owns your house you don't really even have any say in that decision.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You gotta ask how much your pride is worth. Because in this day and age having a chunk of money that allows you to be a homeowner has a lot of long term potential,even with the downsides.

My friend married into a rich family that was like that. He got talked into him and his wife moving into his in law's place. They were going to move out of state and planned to just give my friend and his wife the house. The catch was that they didn't actually move out for 2 years, the house was a cluttered mess because the in laws were hoarders, and my friend seemed kind of miserable. But his in laws did honor their promise and fully transfered the house to them, so in hindsight it seemed worth it to get a house out of the deal.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Lol @ family being the executor for other family in wills/trusts.

That sucks and your parents are being dumb.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Parents are being not nice, but dumb was agreeing to let the family trust take full title of your house that you pay the mortgage on and live in.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Parents are being not nice, but dumb was agreeing to let the family trust take full title of your house that you pay the mortgage on and live in.

And also paying the mortgage entirely off at the same time!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Mo' money, mo' problems.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah, I got owned pretty thoroughly on this one. I was 22 and had no clue what I was doing.

My parents are legitimately mentally ill and try to control their children with money. They were very opposed to me taking the high paying job that I got out of college and I think this was a plan to try and siphon as much of my net worth away as possible to try and maintain control.

Family!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

How did the trust get sole title to your house, why would any real estate attorney or mortgage underwriter recommend such a situation if you were presumably the sole mortgage debtor? I would suggest you just rent it out as an investment property and buy a new house to live in that you wish to occupy but since the trust owns your house you don't really even have any say in that decision.
It seems somewhat common for rich people to have houses titled in the name of a trust.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, I got owned pretty thoroughly on this one. I was 22 and had no clue what I was doing.

My parents are legitimately mentally ill and try to control their children with money. They were very opposed to me taking the high paying job that I got out of college and I think this was a plan to try and siphon as much of my net worth away as possible to try and maintain control.

Family!

Sue the trust. This is my advice for you. If that doesn't work get your parents committed to a home for the mentally ill and take over their decision making. Place them in the cheapest care facility you can find.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nah... the whole thing was just confirmation of my longstanding suspicion that they're crazy/bad people.

It's Family Tradition for the past 4 generations that the parents are huge pieces of poo poo that manipulate their children in exchange for inheriting The Family Fortune, but the family money has shrunk enough and my siblings and I are highly paid enough that we mostly are just sad that our parents suck

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gvibes posted:

It seems somewhat common for rich people to have houses titled in the name of a trust.

Everyone should have their house in a trust. The key is one that is managed by you for your benefit. Not one managed by your crazy parents until you are 40.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nah... the whole thing was just confirmation of my longstanding suspicion that they're crazy/bad people.

It's Family Tradition for the past 4 generations that the parents are huge pieces of poo poo that manipulate their children in exchange for inheriting The Family Fortune, but the family money has shrunk enough and my siblings and I are highly paid enough that we mostly are just sad that our parents suck

There are plenty of parents out there who don't know why their kids won't contact them. It sounds rather frustrating. It sounds like the family fortune is at the point where you could only buy a boat for your horse too.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Family!
Lol facepalm. Jesus. At least the PDX rental market is crazy enough you can probably make a good amount of monies off of it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Multigenerational wealth really is the worst. Quick someone post the gullotine image.

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

Hey GWM goons

an uncle passed and in the will I inherited a small investment account he had. It has roughly 22k in long stock (ARRY, FB, SHOP) and performing well.

My question is, I have some student debt around 14k total. I am paying $200 a month and about to refinance. Would the GWM option be to sell whatever I can and pay that off and use whatever left over to start a new portfolio? I work in real estate so money is good but sporadic.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lando Kardashian posted:

Hey GWM goons

an uncle passed and in the will I inherited a small investment account he had. It has roughly 22k in long stock (ARRY, FB, SHOP) and performing well.

My question is, I have some student debt around 14k total. I am paying $200 a month and about to refinance. Would the GWM option be to sell whatever I can and pay that off and use whatever left over to start a new portfolio? I work in real estate so money is good but sporadic.

Reported

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Lando Kardashian posted:

Hey GWM goons

can't do better than 17% a month in your investments (assuming 200 is the interest... which is, like, wtf, so prolly not the case), so sure, pay debt, unless you have liquidity probs
dunno if you should start a new portfolio or whatever, just pay that debt

(2400 / 14000 = 0.17)

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Lando Kardashian posted:

Hey GWM goons

This is the bad with money thread, go do something terrible with your money and we can talk about you. Consider buying two horses and stabling them on a boat and you can sell their offspring for mega profits!

You want the good with money thread!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

bob dobbs is dead posted:

can't do better than 17% a month in your investments (assuming 200 is the interest... which is, like, wtf, so prolly not the case), so sure, pay debt, unless you have liquidity probs
dunno if you should start a new portfolio or whatever, just pay that debt

(2400 / 14000 = 0.17)
S/he said $14k in debt with payments of $200/mo. Why would up assume the $200 is interest?? No way is that debt 17%, maybe 6.8% at most.

Lando Kardashian posted:

Hey GWM goons

Wrong thread. Report your future bad with money choice here for the shared lawls. Consider an MLM or maybe leasing a horse.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lando Kardashian posted:

Hey GWM goons

Don't pay off your debts, liquidate the investments, then buy bitcoin with the inheritance, and then post about it here.

Lando Kardashian
Jul 11, 2007

pissidential

thanks to your advice goons I opened a margin account with my credit card and maxed the limit on a 3x leveraged fund on SE Asian horse hay futures!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

S/he said $14k in debt with payments of $200/mo. Why would up assume the $200 is interest?? No way is that debt 17%, maybe 6.8% at most.

yah you're right
serves me for not sleeping for 2 days

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Lando Kardashian posted:

Hey GWM goons

This is the most active thread, but it's not for advice.

This one is the go-to for that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256838

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lando Kardashian posted:

thanks to your advice goons I opened a margin account with my credit card and maxed the limit on a 3x leveraged fund on SE Asian horse hay futures!

Fun fact: if you stuff hay in a shipping container for export, it’s considered a dangerous good.

Dangerous goods: bad for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Fun fact: if you stuff hay in a shipping container for export, it’s considered a dangerous good.

Dangerous goods: bad for money.

I grew up in a rural area and learned that if you tried to bale Hay when it was too wet it would start to decompose, which then released heat, which could then cause it to spontaneously combust. Even if it didn’t, it could scorch and be inedible to your livestock