Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I dislike the pessimism a lot of people have for games. People are assuming that the FF7 remake will be bad due to Square-Enix's recent treatment of the property, but I'm at least hoping it'll be good because good games are good for the industry, and fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I want it to bomb horribly because remakes and splitting individual titles into multiple releases is a cancer that is already ravaging film and television, we need to nip that poo poo in the bud in gaming before it becomes malignant.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Is Final Fantasy XV bad? I haven't played a FF since X was new, and I'm only a couple hours into it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

oh dope posted:

Is Final Fantasy XV bad? I haven't played a FF since X was new, and I'm only a couple hours into it.

It was in development since before FF13 was released, and even after all that time it released feeling unfinished from what I've seen.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
FFXV is fine, it's got a fun cast and mostly plays well. It just has very clear signs of not being properly finished. Like, you complete what in any reasonable context would be the second of five acts or so, and then are informed that continuing the story will lock you into the endgame. And the game was under development for most of a decade.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
XV got delayed a month so the game wouldn't need a gigantic day one patch to make it playable
The game still had a gigantic day one patch that was mostly cutscenes from the movie nobody watched or cared about because square Enix games are big gigantic multimedia productions that are a pain in the rear end to keep track of, along with some super necessary game improvements, and it still took months before the game could be called decently made

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And it bears repeating that this was all because Nomura, who was the original project head, spent 8 years of that 10-year development time doing nothing productive until SE eventually had to make the unthinkable decision of punishing a senior employee for something and removed him from the team.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The thing that bugged me most about FFXV is that the character progression felt totally meaningless. The game played almost identically at level one as it did at whatever level I was when I beat it. Kind of a problem when one of the mainappeals of FF has always been making your dudes strong.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

1stGear posted:

I was watching a video the other day that was mostly about the mess the KH series has been since 1 but brought up the trail of destruction Nomura has left through other Squeenix properties and it's really confusing to me how he keeps getting made director.

If you can find that video again, I'd very much like to watch it. Having a full picture for Nomura's incompetence would be interesting.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't get what it is with Japanese developers that makes people worship/demonize lead devs so much compared to Western ones but it makes it a real pain in the rear end to actually try and discuss them in any depth beyond attributing everything to the one guy that's popular to love/hate.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Japanese game development is largely based around their lead developers, who have proportionally greater control over the direction of a product compared to a lot of Western companies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

FFXV is fine, it's got a fun cast and mostly plays well. It just has very clear signs of not being properly finished. Like, you complete what in any reasonable context would be the second of five acts or so, and then are informed that continuing the story will lock you into the endgame. And the game was under development for most of a decade.

FFXV is a weird game because it starts out as a big open world and after a certain point in the story you're just railroaded into a linear progression of areas with no side tracking.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Supposedly it's a lot better now with patches and major updates

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I bought ff15 and somehow my wife always enters the room only when Cindy is on screen.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

I don't get what it is with Japanese developers that makes people worship/demonize lead devs so much compared to Western ones but it makes it a real pain in the rear end to actually try and discuss them in any depth beyond attributing everything to the one guy that's popular to love/hate.

What are you talking about? That poo poo happens all the time with Western game devs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I bought ff15 and somehow my wife always enters the room only when Cindy is on screen.

sounds like your wife has better taste in video game wives than rl husbands

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brother Entropy posted:

sounds like your wife has better taste in video game wives than rl husbands

Reported

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
in Dark Souls, the only weapon worth using in the entire game is the Club. it's fast, has amazing Strength scaling, deals strike damage (which hardly anything can resist), and is lightweight. I can shred through the game with just this bad boy and a really lovely shield, and it sucks that none of these mystical, legendary swords compare to a wooden stick that a caveman starts with

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Feb 20, 2018

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

Then they released 2.8 which is pretty loving lol because it's just 2.5 but it has the phone game storylines as watchable films and some bonus stuff setting up the coming third game.

2.8 is completely different from 2.5. It's the HD remake of Dream Drop Distance, a short game that ties into Birth By Sleep, and the phone game digest cutscenes. I spent entirely too much time reading Wikipedia articles trying to figure out what I needed to buy if I actually wanted to play all of the Kingdom Hearts games. Which I do not regret, although I burned out halfway through 358/2 Days.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

More like old ball'n'chainless.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Need to ask your wife if she can manage that look :pervert:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leal posted:

Need to ask your wife if she can manage that look :pervert:

'only if you can manage gladio's look'

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

'only if you can manage prompto's look'

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

spit on my clit posted:

in Dark Souls, the only weapon worth using in the entire game is the Club. it's fast, has amazing Strength scaling, deals strike damage (which hardly anything can resist), and is lightweight. I can shred through the game with just this bad boy and a really lovely shield, and it sucks that none of these mystical, legendary swords compare to a wooden stick that a caveman starts with

Halberd for life.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

EmmyOk posted:

That is nothing compared to no on having a loving breeze what was happening in KH2 because the connecting game was on GBA and barely heard about :allears: Nomura is a blessing

Well, all you really did - was go through all the kingdom hearts worlds (which looked pretty nice by GBA standards) with a card battle system because the game would be piss easy if you didn't have a huge handicap.
And the game would be really short if you didn't have to keep farming for cards so you can literally continue the story. Which doesn't really explain much? It just introduces some guys for the next game and puts Sora in a freezer so they can keep him fresh by the time 2 came out.

I believe that game did get a PS2 remake so I don't know if it felt better to play in 3D - but really the only cool things about the game is the pixel art, that you got to see Twilight Town for the first time, and your GBA could play Simple and Clean (which I don't know how embarrassing it is to admit - but I still like the song).

I feel like Birth by Sleep and Numbers Over Days did there jobs of prequel/side stuff a lot better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

scarycave posted:

Well, all you really did - was go through all the kingdom hearts worlds (which looked pretty nice by GBA standards) with a card battle system because the game would be piss easy if you didn't have a huge handicap.
And the game would be really short if you didn't have to keep farming for cards so you can literally continue the story. Which doesn't really explain much? It just introduces some guys for the next game and puts Sora in a freezer so they can keep him fresh by the time 2 came out.

I believe that game did get a PS2 remake so I don't know if it felt better to play in 3D - but really the only cool things about the game is the pixel art, that you got to see Twilight Town for the first time, and your GBA could play Simple and Clean (which I don't know how embarrassing it is to admit - but I still like the song).

I feel like Birth by Sleep and Numbers Over Days did there jobs of prequel/side stuff a lot better.

It did. It was called Kingdom Hearts RE Chain of Memories which also got ported to ps3 and PS4.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Been playing Final Fantasy 12: zodiac edition since it came out on steam recently. I always liked FF12 more than most, it got a ton of flak when it first game out for some genuinely horrible design decisions, but the thing dragging it down for me right now is treasure chests.

Sure they're random but sometimes not and they respawn and yadda yadda yadda, but I can deal with all that. What drives me nuts is they have no contrast with the world so I have trouble actually seeing them when I run through an area. And some of the chests will give you spells, for instance there is only one chest in the game that contains the spell haste, and if you don't find that you can't cast haste ever. So I end up straining my eyes combing over areas because the contrast on the chests is so bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, it's like Gun's pacing is worse than I thought. Just got to the steamboat investigation segment of the plot and taken Hollister's fort, which has no buildup. You see it in a cutscene, escape it immediately and it doesn't even give you a mission to select, your just thrown right into the middle of things running to the boats. Feels more like an FPS than a sandbox.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So I’m going through Dark Souls 3 again because I just got the DLC, and I figured I’d clean up some trophies while I was at it. To get the collect all sorceries, pyromancies, and miracles, I now need to either grind potentially hundreds of mobs, or ram my face against the PvP, which I am not good at. Just because 3 covenants have 1 of each spell type.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

scarycave posted:

Almost half of the ORGXIII members die in Chain of Memories, that's one hell of a gap, story wise.

But then again, the main reason to play Kingdom Hearts are those sweet rear end Disney worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrMr4iZPFz8

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I feel like an rear end in a top hat for saying this as I love Falcom and Trails in the Sky and Ys but Cold Steel is pretty bad. I just started CS2 and got hit really hard with the I Don't Care About These People Syndrome.

In terms of writing CS repeats most of the bad stuff from Sky (sister-adopted brother romance, wtf) and makes the rest of it blander. The cast are paper thin, nearly all of them are just new school anime archetypes. Nothing happens for 95% of CS1 and the stuff that does comes off as unearned and out of the blue. Can't shake off the feeling that they lost lots of money on moving the series to 3D and the writing suffered because of it.

I do appreciate the streamlined gameplay but holy poo poo do I not care for playing through 4 Cold Steel games when I'm tired at the beginning of the second one.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scarycave posted:

Ah it's a pretty big deal considering you end Kingdom Hearts I having saved everything and in II you start off as someone totally different being approached by robed figures you have no idea about and then you find out Sora was in stasis and had been fighting these baddies since the first game ended. The GBA game has a bunch of critical plot stuff in it that no one ended up playing. The phone games do this too :allears:

Twitch posted:

2.8 is completely different from 2.5. It's the HD remake of Dream Drop Distance, a short game that ties into Birth By Sleep, and the phone game digest cutscenes. I spent entirely too much time reading Wikipedia articles trying to figure out what I needed to buy if I actually wanted to play all of the Kingdom Hearts games. Which I do not regret, although I burned out halfway through 358/2 Days.

lmao they are psychotic I assumed it was all those things bolted on to 2.5 but it's not, goddamn.

e: I love that Donald immediately dies all the time no matter what while Goofy has a cape of heartless scalps by the end of Wonderland.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Ah it's a pretty big deal considering you end Kingdom Hearts I having saved everything and in II you start off as someone totally different being approached by robed figures you have no idea about and then you find out Sora was in stasis and had been fighting these baddies since the first game ended. The GBA game has a bunch of critical plot stuff in it that no one ended up playing. The phone games do this too :allears:

KH2 has the worst opening of any game I've ever played. 4 hours of tedious, inane conversations between teenagers eating ice-cream which suddenly end when it turns out the person you've been controlling the whole time doesn't actually exist.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gerblyn posted:

which suddenly end when it turns out the person you've been controlling the whole time doesn't actually exist.

But enough about FFX.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

"Oh an 'Easy' chest to lockpick, I should be able to do this."

*lockpick snaps*
*lockpick snaps*
*lockpick snaps*
*lockpick snaps*

*You require a lockpick to pick this chest*

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Morpheus posted:

But enough about FFX.

I thought it was a major plot point of ff7.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think Kingdom Hearts might actually have one over Saints Row in that at least the series was always a smash hit from day one and has been rereleased on every platform under the sun with the important info from the spinoffs added to the main games, Saints Row 4 has major characters and plots based on a middling Xbox 360 freshman year release that not only had never been ported or rereleased but whom one of the main actors had died and had to be recast.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, it's like Gun's pacing is worse than I thought. Just got to the steamboat investigation segment of the plot and taken Hollister's fort, which has no buildup. You see it in a cutscene, escape it immediately and it doesn't even give you a mission to select, your just thrown right into the middle of things running to the boats. Feels more like an FPS than a sandbox.

I never actually beat Gun thanks to a glitch where I never got my weapons back after the forced stealth mission towards the end.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

scarycave posted:

I don't know if it felt better to play in 3D -

It didn't. It kept the card battle mechanics, but threw them into full 3d environments, complete with having to move the camera and platforming. It worked much better on the GBA because it was a 2d sidescroller.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In Bioshock 2 I'm playing as an armor-covered, drill-wielding, clunky foot-steppin' Big Daddy, notorious for taking ages to kill. Yet a splicer can drop me in about 5 seconds of gunfire and a melee attack drops 1/3 of my health. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Flunchy posted:

In Bioshock 2 I'm playing as an armor-covered, drill-wielding, clunky foot-steppin' Big Daddy, notorious for taking ages to kill. Yet a splicer can drop me in about 5 seconds of gunfire and a melee attack drops 1/3 of my health. :(

Keep in mind that after it became fashionable to hate Bioshock and Ken Levine the revisionist defense of Bioshock 2 as the best game in the series was "yeah the story isn't as good, but the gameplay is so much better! :downs:"