Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Here's some things for a future labor election campaign.

-Keep up the ICAC pledge.
-Say they'll do something about the banks, and fix that Royal Commision if they can.
-Say they'll fix overtime wages in the weekend.
-Talk about renewable/solar, don't mention ETS.

Regarding the empty suits comment with regard to labor, isn't this only the case because Shorten's stacked the party with his people. Like I wouldn't expect this to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Starshark posted:

JBP if you don't want to try to make the world a better place, just stay out of politics dude. You're only doing damage for no reason.

I'm already the leader of the opposition though.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

It's a HELL of a lot better than it was growing up. But yeah the tall poppy poo poo is loving real, as well as the small town ignorance from a lot of born and raised. Nobody knows how to merge either.

At least the food and coffee are creeping up to a decent standard, and the cost of housing is more reasonable than it was 5 years back.

I feel like a lot of the bad things you can say about Perth can be said about other places in Australia too. The mistake is to think that Perth is comparable to places like Melbourne or Sydney in the first place.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have an honest question of the thread actually, it's more philosophical than political. Do you think a human being has inherent worth?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Anyone running a book on Barnaby and the ways this could go?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

I have an honest question of the thread actually, it's more philosophical than political. Do you think a human being has inherent worth?

I thought so until I read you are posts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

I thought so until I read you are posts

Glad I could lead you towards truth.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

JBP posted:

depends on your definition of 'inherent' and 'worth'

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Before Times posted:

depends on your definition of 'inherent' and 'worth'

you’ve known jbp long enough to know the answer is no regardless of definitions

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ATO EMAIL posted:

Hi Anidav

Claiming a deduction for 'Other work-related expenses' this year?

This year, the ATO will be paying close attention to what people are claiming as 'other' deductions.These deductions are for expenses other than car, travel, clothing or self-education and may include home office, union fees, mobile phone and internet, overtime meals and tools & equipment.

Even though tax time is months away, you might be incurring these expenses now, so it’s important you have the information you need to get your claims right.

Make sure you can show us that:

you spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
the expense was directly related to earning your income
you have a record to prove it.

Lol why bother sending a crackdown email and include union fees when unions are probably the most compliant organisations come tax time.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Ora Tzo posted:

Here's some things for a future labor election campaign.

-Keep up the ICAC pledge.
-Say they'll do something about the banks, and fix that Royal Commision if they can.
-Say they'll fix overtime wages in the weekend.
-Talk about renewable/solar, don't mention ETS.

Regarding the empty suits comment with regard to labor, isn't this only the case because Shorten's stacked the party with his people. Like I wouldn't expect this to change.

I've spent my morning drafting a letter to my federal MP about climate change. I just feel angry and depressed so I don't know what to write that isn't "do something, by bloody revolution if necessary" in block capitals with multiple exclaimation marks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Lol why bother sending a crackdown email and include union fees when unions are probably the most compliant organisations come tax time.

Because the email is directed to people who self report and people have been known to make mistakes, exaggerate or outright lie about such things. How is this so hard to understand you had to post about it?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
why the gently caress are you on their emailing list?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

froglet posted:

I've spent my morning drafting a letter to my federal MP about climate change. I just feel angry and depressed so I don't know what to write that isn't "do something, by bloody revolution if necessary" in block capitals with multiple exclaimation marks.

My state member is a green and my federal member is Danby. It's a relief knowing that any letter I might feel compelled to write would be pointless, albeit for different reasons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

you’ve known jbp long enough to know the answer is no regardless of definitions

lol

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

doesn’t read like a crackdown to me :shrug: not everyone in the aps is out to get you anidav

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Just some people

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

BBJoey posted:

doesn’t read like a crackdown to me :shrug: not everyone in the aps is out to get you anidav

I personally passed it onto my local member. The point about union fees jumped out at me as well and from memory, similar emails didn't include it. Plus anything to yell about "anti-union agenda" to my local member.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

We have also had once fringe left wing positions become prominent as well. I don't think people should forget that the ALP were the great liberaliser of the Australian economy and it has been policy for 45 years now to play ball with business and promote "balanced" private-public solutions to problems.
Oh I remember.

Although I think the 45 year figure is a little odd. Whitlam wasn't much about it and it wasn't really until unrepentant neocon poo poo stain Keating got the keys to the treasury that the really bad poo poo started to go down.

JBP posted:

To other human beings? Yes.
To an uncaring Universe? No.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cartoon posted:

Oh I remember.

Although I think the 45 year figure is a little odd.

Yeah I meant to say 35 but fucken mashed my phone keys, however Whitlam was responsible for transitioning the party to one that chased "aspirational voters" and the educated middle class, which is pretty much the roadmap to neoliberalism.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
hi auspol thread long time no see

https://twitter.com/7NewsAdelaide/status/965776350400270336

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
What the hell was that.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Speaking of unions, how's the United Services Union? I got burned signing up to the SDA at my old job.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Holy loving moly.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Ora Tzo posted:

What the hell was that.

This looks like it was made in the early 90's at the latest.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
At a guess he's trying to minimise professional appearances to distance himself from the establishment and hopefully be just kooky enough to be taken seriously but get some viral spread to reach the disenfranchised voters.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
he's trying to clive palmer and create lovely memery

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The T-shirt in particular is what gives away the constructed "every man" bid, he's been in the Senate long enough to have casual suits for media (and usually wears them).

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Anidav posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-19/ato-urging-staff-to-dob-in-timewasters/9462604

quote:

Freedom of Information documents show ATO management has warned staff falsifying their working hours or slacking off could be considered fraud.
"You might have seen it before," the all-staff memo starts.
"A colleague makes a habit of taking long lunches; or regularly leaves early; or spends the first hour at work eating breakfast and reading the paper … or all of the above.
"Maybe they just lose track of time, or are careless rather than acting deliberately. Maybe there are indeed reasonable explanations.
"Or perhaps your suspicions are correct and they're simply not recording their working hours appropriately."
The ATO memo, sent in December, went on to say staff had an obligation to report possible fraud to investigators, who would check if that long lunch break was authorised.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What kind of loving idiotic country is this where a bloke at the ATO can't spend an hour reading the bloody paper at his desk.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Anidav posted:

I think you've read this wrong. They are saying you can claim union fees as this category of tax deduction. Easy mistake, the grammar is complex enough that you'd have to be a public servant to parse it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

What kind of loving idiotic country is this where a bloke at the ATO can't spend an hour reading the bloody paper at his desk.

desk? on the shitter more like

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
please do not eat breakfast on the toilet at work

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/965805425013616640

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

South Australians are exactly dumb and parochial enough to believe this bullshit

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

ludlam’s really let himself go huh

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Does he do a lovely rap at the end?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought the whole thing was a rap.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
It's the rap remix of "we are the world" nobody asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Boom-chi-cha-boom-chi-cha-boom-chi-boom
I’m Xenophon, and I’m here to say,
I’m the lamest polly in all SA.
I got a big stage and I’ll drop a lot of things,
Like your wage if you have one.

• Locked thread