Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you carry crab squids with the propulsion cannon? I assume they are too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ghosts and sea dragons ignore your cyclops if you take your hands off the wheel but I guess reapers don’t

anyways I love my large adult son. his tummy is full of titanium and quartz. I am going to build the grandest base ever

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The biggest deal about the cyclops that isn't cargo capacity, is saving your prawn from needing to awkwardly U turn and struggle to climb back up out of the late game biomes to the nearest mod station of fabricator.

Not just for your prawn modules. "Aw yeah, I finally have some Kyanite and sulphur crystals! Now to... make my... depth upgrade. poo poo."

But because there are at minimum, two plot progress cock blocks in the final location you can't do without a fabricator. Easily dealt with via foreknowledge and building outposts at certain locations ahead of time, but for a natural first time playthrough? Walking all that way with the Prawn suit, only to find you need to turn around can be a frustrating surprise. Backtracking to the lava castle at minimum, For it's mountain island portal. Because the convenient mountain island portal in the last base, is behind one of the crafting gates. Only the rear end end of nowhere portals are accessible at first

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It also lets you hoover up mats without a care in the world. Not needing round trips when your inventory fills up is a huge boon if you engage with the base building at all beyond the bare essentials.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Any particular reason to not just poo poo out a ghetto base at the start?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nope, go nuts, you can always deconstruct it and get 99% of your resources back anyway

(100% except the lost energy in your constructor battery)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

It can be kind of a pain to make another fabricator early, but even corridor with lockers below a lifepod are extra handy.

So no.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It says so much about this game that I'm still thinking about playing it despite uninstalling after losing literal hours of progress to a power outage because of no autosave in TYOOL 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Funnily enough, the goonmod being discussed just made an autosave feature, I think.

edit: here

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like the cyclops cause deploying my prawnsuit out of it is some cool rear end poo poo

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Cyclops is great because most of the places you want to get the Prawn into are pains to get it back out of.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

Any particular reason to not just poo poo out a ghetto base at the start?

TheParadigm posted:

It can be kind of a pain to make another fabricator early, but even corridor with lockers below a lifepod are extra handy.

So no.
This.

For storage purposes alone, making GBS threads out a ghetto base at the start is one of the biggest QoL boosts you can have.

Waterproof lockers are tiny, don't give your materials back, and have a long history of bugs (I saw one after launch thread with screenshots of one upsidedown inside their lifepod ceiling, even though they put it down outdoors)

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Mechanical Ape posted:

"Hello, would you have a few minutes to discuss Squid Jesus' plan for your life?"

I lost 2 seamoths to that fucker cause I didn't know how to escape it emp such an expensive lesson !_!

On the plus side I figured out how to get into the lava area under that part of the map to progress in the story mode. thanks creative mode :)

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I made my sea moth! ... still haven't found a single diamond for the laser cutter...

Edit: or the darn propulsion cannon.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 20, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Arite I gave up and reinstalled and made up my progress

But now I have a new question, where the gently caress is the magnetite

I found bits and bobs of it in the lost river where i'm plotting to build a big ole base since I can't get the cyclops down there near where the lava zone entrance (I think) is, but I've never seen a deposit of it or a large amount of single items

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aerofallosov posted:

I made my sea moth! ... still haven't found a single diamond for the laser cutter...

Ciaphas posted:

Arite I gave up and reinstalled and made up my progress

But now I have a new question, where the gently caress is the magnetite

I found bits and bobs of it in the lost river where i'm plotting to build a big ole base since I can't get the cyclops down there, but I've never seen a deposit of it or a large amount of single items

Jellyshroom Caves have both these things, handy enough. You can also get Lithium while you are down there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

Jellyshroom Caves have both these things, handy enough. You can also get Lithium while you are down there.

Blargh, alright, off on a long journey then

navigating the Cyclops out of the section of Lost River I have it stuck in right now is going to be assholes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Blargh, alright, off on a long journey then

navigating the Cyclops out of the section of Lost River I have it stuck in right now is going to be assholes
Magnetite is supposed to spawn in the lost river, but it's one of those cases where it feels so sparse that I just made a return trip to the Jellyshroom caves when I ran out of lithium and magnetite rather than keep circling around.

It's just goddamned everywhere in the jellyshroom caves, both loose and in drill notes. Rather than wandering a biome it's "supposed" to spawn in, and still not seeing any after 10 minutes because you didn't stop to build a scan room to find basic materials while you have all the rubies in the world. So it's well worth the trip to stock up on Magnetite, lithium, and diamonds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 20, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeesh made it out, loving ghost leviathans and gross trees, that was annoying

Think the ol' Cyclops is staying out of the Lost River from now on, it can hang out at my (nuclear) base I have at the entrance near where pod 2 went down when I'm down there in the Prawn

But first a trip to Jellyshroom land to stock way the hell up on magnetite and lithium, thanks for the advice

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I am still early on, but i hope there is a canon ending wherein the mc realises how dope his life is as king of the fish people and just lives in the ocean forever.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Yeesh made it out, loving ghost leviathans and gross trees, that was annoying

Think the ol' Cyclops is staying out of the Lost River from now on, it can hang out at my (nuclear) base I have at the entrance near where pod 2 went down when I'm down there in the Prawn

But first a trip to Jellyshroom land to stock way the hell up on magnetite and lithium, thanks for the advice

Do you use the external cameras on the Cyclops? Swapping between the keel and conning tower views helps a ton when navigating tight spaces.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Do you use the external cameras on the Cyclops? Swapping between the keel and conning tower views helps a ton when navigating tight spaces.

Oh god if I didn't know about the camera I wouldn't have even tried :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Oh god if I didn't know about the camera I wouldn't have even tried :v:
It's a longer round trip from a raw distance traveled perspective, but the lost river access at the Northern side of the map blood kelp is what I use these days. Because it's far, FAR less cramped. Like, you could manage with no cameras if you wanted with only a few bumps.

I tried exiting via the bramble sections and I remembered why I don't even bother letting my cyclops anywhere near that leg of the lost river anymore.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 20, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do planted bloodvines regrow their seeds overtime?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is putting storage lockers on the cyclops as much of a buggy mess as I suspect it'd be?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Internet Kraken posted:

Do planted bloodvines regrow their seeds overtime?
Yes. Same with Creepvines

Asproigerosis posted:

Is putting storage lockers on the cyclops as much of a buggy mess as I suspect it'd be?

I haven't had any issues with it. Sometimes they're not perfectly flat against the wall but other than that it's been fine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

It's a longer round trip from a raw distance traveled perspective, but the lost river access at the Northern side of the map blood kelp is what I use these days. Because it's far, FAR less cramped. Like, you could manage with no cameras if you wanted with only a few bumps.

I tried exiting via the bramble sections and I remembered why I don't even bother letting my cyclops anywhere near that leg of the lost river anymore.

Isn't that where I went in, near pod 2? Isn't that the north end?

gently caress, what's at the north end of the map, I don't even

Actually has anyone drawn like a top down overhead map of where all the surface features (and entrances for subsurface) are? Since I'm spoiled anyway that would be super duper.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Actually has anyone drawn like a top down overhead map of where all the surface features (and entrances for subsurface) are? Since I'm spoiled anyway that would be super duper.

Ive found this map to be useful once I gave up trying to explore blind too.

http://vignette99.wikia.nocookie.net/subnautica/images/1/1d/Subnautica_map2.png/revision/latest?cb=20160829200132

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rad, thanks. :cheers:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I can't wait until someone mods in some nuclear torpedoes.

Gonna snag me an irradiated reaper skull. :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone explain how exactly radiation works? Does just equipping a certain amount of lead gear prevent all radiation damage and also keep the radiation pop up from popping up? Or do radiation zones actually drift with ocean currents or something? Cause the places where I've taken damage from it seem inconsistent which could be caused by either of those scenarios.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone explain how exactly radiation works? Does just equipping a certain amount of lead gear prevent all radiation damage and also keep the radiation pop up from popping up? Or do radiation zones actually drift with ocean currents or something? Cause the places where I've taken damage from it seem inconsistent which could be caused by either of those scenarios.

I thought a radius around the Aurora was the only radiation area in the game. Would be news to me, I took off the radiation gear since being done with the Aurora and haven't seen a warning since.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Muscle memory kind of blurs everything together, but Lifepod 2 is a bit of a ways off from where I'm thinking of going down. And I'm just so used to associating the blood kelp with lost river entryways, and driving across the surface means I don't see the biomes I'm passing over as I truck along until I'm where my brain tells me I need to go.

So I loaded up my victory save, hopped into the Cyclops, and drove off. "Oh, I'm actually at the very bottom edge of the mountain biome just past the koosh zone :downs:" Lifepod 2 is 1,640m away from where I use these days. So this place is reaaaaly far to the Northeast (mostly the east) compared to Lifepod 2.

It's a longer drive, but worth it for how much easier the lost river path is. Along with other plot point conveniences. The big I use hole starts up around 1,150 / -380 / 910. East, Depth, North. There are also some smoker vents real early into the huge tunnel, so it can make for a nice stopover rear end end of nowhere base location.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 20, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

Muscle memory kind of blurs everything together, but Lifepod 2 is a bit of a ways off from where I'm thinking of going down. And I'm just so used to associating the blood kelp with lost river entryways, and driving across the surface means I don't see the biomes I'm passing over as I truck along until I'm where my brain tells me I need to go.

So I loaded up my victory save, hopped into the Cyclops, and drove off. "Oh, I'm actually at the very bottom edge of the mountain biome just past the koosh zone :downs:" Lifepod 2 is 1,640m away from where I use these days. So this place is reaaaaly far to the Northeast (mostly the east) compared to Lifepod 2.

It's a longer drive, but worth it for how much easier the lost river path is. Along with other plot point conveniences. The big I use hole starts up around 1,150 / -380 / 910. East, Depth, North.

I'll take a look, thanks. The only other nearbyish entrance is in the Dunes, and uh, nope

I have a well built up base in front of the disease research center (I think) though, hopefully I can navigate the cyclops there from that direction.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I'll take a look, thanks. The only other nearbyish entrance is in the Dunes, and uh, nope

I have a well built up base in front of the disease research center (I think) though, hopefully I can navigate the cyclops there from that direction.

You will literally drive right through that particular cave with the route I take :buddy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Huzzah! :hfive:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Kraken posted:

Stolen from the wiki:

quote:

After the explosion of the Aurora, Radiation will leak from the drive core and spread to a set distance from the ship (in a radius of 940m around the x=1040 z=-160 coordinates), covering large parts of the game world including the eastern edge of the spawn zone in the Safe Shallows.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah I'm double checking now and it's like "I drove in a straight line. There's that place." Then you hang a right past the hall beyond it, and the infamous Giant Tree will only be about 300m away. Now, what was I forgetting that's also a guaranteed on that route?

...Oh, right. Bring multiple decoys or spare power cells. While the path is plenty wide for a cyclops to actually enjoy turning off your cameras for much of the trip, it's a bit cramped for silent running to work it's magic consistently with a permanent resident between the generous entrance and where you asked if the tunnel leads.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 20, 2018

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

Ciaphas posted:

My main base got built on the edge of the red grass area bordering the Dunes, about 400m from the entrance you're talking about. I did this before really understanding that the dunes were one of the more :stare: areas of the game. Whoops. Getting a Cyclops down that way would have been horrible, but luckily I didn't have one...? But even then, I didn't find that entrance until I found it coming out of the Lost River. I used... the Pod 2 one. Quite a trip.

On the bright side, I named my ill advised base Lunatic Pandora after what... wasn't actually what the deep sea base was called in FF8. So at least the base had a good name for its location. I'm also starting to realize how weird my run was compared to how most people's runs sound, but that's part of the appeal!

Next run: build my big base in the middle of the Mountains. :unsmigghh: I don't think I ever really visited that part of the map.

Ellipson fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah the Mountains were another quick 'nope nope nopity nope' zone for me. It's actually kind of astonishing how little of the game I've seen despite spoilering myself on so much and how much I want to see it :v: