Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

Dude gives me Makaan vibes in an extremely good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwe7KX7PYw&t=265s

Makaan probably has enough voice lines to actually make a full Stellaris advisor, too.

...it's been years since I played Homeworld 2, but listening just now... does anyone NOT hear Makaan as Jemaine Clement doing his Gentlemen Broncos voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Demiurge4 posted:

I watched Arumba stream Stellaris earlier and it was goddamn hilarious. He hasn't read any patch notes or dev blogs and blithely assumes things about the mechanics that aren't true, then gets super pissy when things don't work for him.

It was honestly pretty unprofessional for a streamer his size and if i was Wiz I'd have doubts sending him another review copy.

This is pretty much how Arumba is all the time though, and why I find him insufferable to watch.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CJTheran posted:

Classical Latin would be ro-ra-ree-ee, princeps would be as prinkeps (c is always hard in classical latin). So he was almost there on the rorarii, have no loving clue where he got principe from a world with an s at the end.

Some American names have mutated princeps into principe (I believe that's also the modern Italian) which may be the source.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Staltran posted:

Good grief what's with this guy's Latin pronounciation? How does he manage to pronounce princeps as prinsipe or something, and rorarii as... rorariai? I have no idea how to even spell the way he pronounces it in English. Latin spelling would be rorariae maybe (I don't speak Latin at all)? Why play with the sqpr namelist if you're going to completely mangle it like that?

From that description it sounds like he's grabbing them from rome total war.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

ConfusedUs posted:

It crept forth, that unholy abomination known as war. <war between other empires>
What horrors were found in our incessant pursuit of that which once lay hidden? <research complete>
It comes, slinking through the aether, burrowing into our consciousness like worms into the moldering, desiccated corpse of a once-faithful friend. <incoming communications>
They seek the final end, their lives spent callously, as unmourned and fleeting as flies. <war declared on you>
We shall bring them rest, resuming our relentless rise to greatness through immeasurable grief <declared war on someone>

MilkmanLuke posted:

Woe befalls them, risen from blissful ignorance to know the horror and cruelty of the dread, uncaring universe. <uplift complete>

holy poo poo

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VostokProgram posted:

Re: streamer chat

Aspec has the game as well and he definitely knows what's up because he's been making videos with his opinions on every single dev diary:

https://youtu.be/xgF_1W-JQGw

At around 40:12 he's messing around making a ship and his countries borders change color from red to blue. :confused:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

...it's been years since I played Homeworld 2, but listening just now... does anyone NOT hear Makaan as Jemaine Clement doing his Gentlemen Broncos voice?

I just listened to it now for the first time in years and heard the exact same thing. Glad I'm not crazy.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Okay, being reminded of authoritarian voice pack, then seeing possible Darkest Dungeon voicepack lines, I have a deadly serious question for this thread.

Is there any species portrait mod out there whatsoever that would allow me to RP as these guys when Apocalypse comes?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can use steam to play earlier builds of the game.

no

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

Okay, being reminded of authoritarian voice pack, then seeing possible Darkest Dungeon voicepack lines, I have a deadly serious question for this thread.

Is there any species portrait mod out there whatsoever that would allow me to RP as these guys when Apocalypse comes?

gently caress I want this, my god.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't find a single video where the host isn't annoying/stupid as crap or face camming or both.

I'm interested in the game, not your stupid YT Persona. I guess I'm just too old to be the target market for these people.
Honestly, Quill18 ended up being one of the best in terms of actually playing the game in a not-super-frustrating way. Though he's probably the worst offender in terms of "personality" he tones it way down when he ends up talking about the game and what he's doing.

This guy seemed pretty okay too:

VostokProgram posted:

Re: streamer chat

Aspec has the game as well and he definitely knows what's up because he's been making videos with his opinions on every single dev diary:

https://youtu.be/xgF_1W-JQGw

He does everything super fast (except naming things) which is nice for the sake of seeing more of the game, he's got a fairly good grasp of the mechanics, and he doesn't seem all that obnoxious either.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

CrazyLoon posted:

RIP Tony Jay.

If only he was still alive to do an advisor voice for Stellaris.

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

At around 40:12 he's messing around making a ship and his countries borders change color from red to blue. :confused:

He pushes ctrl + v trying to paste text but he just changes map modes to AI Attitude with the hot key instead.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Biffa strategy is pretty good as long as you don't mind British accents and casual play. He'll be doing a let's play every other day.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So as someone who hasn't really touched this since launch, what's the go with the currently available dlc and the new overhaul? Do we know how they interact yet? I mean even if I get back into it after the overhaul I probably won't get any dlc til the next sale but I am curious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Sometimes Food posted:

So as someone who hasn't really touched this since launch, what's the go with the currently available dlc and the new overhaul? Do we know how they interact yet? I mean even if I get back into it after the overhaul I probably won't get any dlc til the next sale but I am curious.

What are you wanting to know exactly? The only thing that would be relevant is that the basic ascension perks are being rolled into the base game while the ascension paths and megastructures of utopia remain purchase only. Otherwise none of the changes affect other DLC.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

You can use steam to play earlier builds of the game.

Yeah, but there's gonna be zero content, patches, mods, support, etc for it. Truly abandoned in a way other games aren't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, but there's gonna be zero content, patches, mods, support, etc for it. Truly abandoned in a way other games aren't.

Apart from... most of them. Also a number of mods deliberately keep legacy versions for people using old versions of the game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

What are you wanting to know exactly? The only thing that would be relevant is that the basic ascension perks are being rolled into the base game while the ascension paths and megastructures of utopia remain purchase only. Otherwise none of the changes affect other DLC.

Pretty much whether the dlc will be more or less worth it after the overhaul, was wondering how mechanical changes the dlcs made interacted with the new version but you just answered that pretty much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Officially took my flex day for thursday instead of a friday like a normal person. Watch the game have some show-stopping bug on release that doesn't get fixed until friday.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Acute Grill posted:

Game's been out for close to two years now, it's not really uncommon for developers to stop patching at that point, and if you take the view that Cherryh is Stellaris 2, it's also super normal for all the other stuff to dry up on a new release of the same franchise, and that's as true of Paradox as it is of any developer.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Reveilled posted:

Game's been out for close to two years now, it's not really uncommon for developers to stop patching at that point, and if you take the view that Cherryh is Stellaris 2, it's also super normal for all the other stuff to dry up on a new release of the same franchise, and that's as true of Paradox as it is of any developer.

Nah, there's games from the 90s that still have active modding and community updates. But yeah I get it, I'll stop discussing Stellaris in the Stellaris thread.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I bet most of those active modding and community updates are for the most recent versions of those games, regardless of how old they are.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Acute Grill posted:

Nah, there's games from the 90s that still have active modding and community updates. But yeah I get it, I'll stop discussing Stellaris in the Stellaris thread.

Yeah but that's really got nothing to do with dev support. People can keep making mods for earlier versions of Stellaris no problem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Acute Grill posted:

You can discuss it all you want but you're likely to get pushback if you propose the idea that the game is poorly supported or that better supported games are at all commonplace, because that requires some rather convoluted reasoning to arrive at.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Stellaris is probably the worst possible example of a game being "truly abandoned"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris is probably the worst possible example of a game being "truly abandoned"

I don't like a few of the most recent patch notes, the game has thus been abandoned.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Reveilled posted:

lol you aren’t really familiar with paradox are you

crusader kings 2 came out in february 2012, why don’t you go have a look at the available dlc and tell us if you think it’s been abandoned by the devs

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, but there's gonna be zero content, patches

holy poo poo

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

So you realize he's talking about the previous version of the game, right

Like "bluh bluh you can use an older version if you like wormholes that much" but what you're totally missing is if you stick to an older version you don't get any new updates. Ever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Remember the Clark Patch, version 1.1? They release this patch and then abandon it to instead work on Asimov 1.2. Asimov was looking ok with a few updates but paradox dropped it off at the side of the road to work on Heinlein, absolutely leaving fans of Asimov out in the cold. It's like with every major update Paradox totally abandons the previous updates and just keeps moving on! And to all you people looking forward to 2.0 I say don't get your hopes up because one day they'll announce 2.1 and your precious 2.0 will be left to rot with no development or support. I don't understand how anyone can support this extremely shifty business model where the company keeps slowly improving the game for free along with modestly priced optional addons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shadowlyger posted:

Like "bluh bluh you can use an older version if you like wormholes that much" but what you're totally missing is if you stick to an older version you don't get any new updates. Ever.

Big if true.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shadowlyger posted:

Woah really

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

I can't tell who's joking and who's serious

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shadowlyger posted:

lmao

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I watched Arumba stream Stellaris earlier and it was goddamn hilarious. He hasn't read any patch notes or dev blogs and blithely assumes things about the mechanics that aren't true, then gets super pissy when things don't work for him.

It was honestly pretty unprofessional for a streamer his size and if i was Wiz I'd have doubts sending him another review copy.

arumba is routinely boggled by basic concepts and is entirely unwilling to read most ingame text

there are ck2 videos that he recorded after years of playing the game where he is tripped up for an hour by things like misreading priestess as princess over and over and over as he tries to figure out why the game thinks he isn't related by marriage to the nearby king he's trying to ally (because he wasn't)

he's tolerable enough when he's learning a game because he doesn't expect to be able to play without thinking or reading, but if he thinks he already knows it all then he's unwatchable

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

also, somebody will make a mod that reimplements the three FTL types for sure. borders are probably going to be harder to revert to the current blob-push model though

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FTL I understand, but has anyone said they're gonna miss the current borders mechanic?

Cause good riddance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

"Old patches don't get new patches after a new patch is released" is up there with "businesses should not have operating expenses or generate revenue" in talking points that make me wonder if I'm having a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Galaga Galaxian posted:

FTL I understand, but has anyone said they're gonna miss the current borders mechanic?

Cause good riddance.

I will miss having the one empire I didn't close borders to cramming a frontier outpost in the middle of my space, and then whining about border friction.

• Locked thread