Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

whypick1 posted:

Advancing Fortress is kind of a shield...

... Don't actually do this

I think it will be a viable choice for HC guys, but a shaper stat stick will be the choice for SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

nightwisher posted:

I like how GGG not releasing some ascendancy changes today has made a not-insignificant number of people completely spit the dummy and throw a tantrum. I really, really loving hate this game's community. Why do I have to share server space with literal trash human beings.

they are bored with the current league and are in withdrawl

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
My favourite was the vitriol being spewed at the guy who posted some info from an email conversation with support where he asked about the upcoming content.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

whypick1 posted:

The internet in a nutshell

The planet in a nutshell.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
we've known about shield throw for 2 days and i can already tell i wont play it this league because i cant decide between mixing it into my gladiator bleed explosion mace build i had planned or doing a raider with dreamfeather and that new fated Foxshade

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

nightwisher posted:

Why do I have to share server space with literal trash human beings.

New thread title?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Maddot_66 posted:

New thread title?

Path of Exile: I need a loot filter to hide all these trash people

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

:yeah:

The only question is, very strict or uber-strict?

On another note, I'm trying to complete all content this league, for the first time ever, and kind of hitting a wall in knowing what to upgrade next. I seem to be pushing best with my Ngahamu Cyclone Slayer, but still feel a little bit squishy in some fights. That probably wouldn't be a problem if I could learn the fights and 'git good', but alas. Would anyone mind making a recommendation on how I may want to respect my guy or what purchases to look for? I have roughly 15ex to spend.

Profile is at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ClockworkUtopia/characters?characterName=Mythiar

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

e: Actually, is Mjolner's on hit trigger only on hit with Mjolner or is it any on-hit? Also grants Skills Chain +1 times which seems good with this skill.

Now this really tickles my funnybone. Double arc mjolner shield throw.

Mo_Steel posted:

e2: Looks like only when Mjolner does the hit when dual wielding so I assume the same is true of Shield Throws: "Dual wielding: While dual wielding, socketed lightning spells will only cast on hit with the Mjölner they are socketed in."

That's when you dual wield mjolners. It doesn't say "hits with this weapon" so it definitely should work.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Your dude looks pretty solid to me, where are you finding yourself feeling "squishy?" It's probably a matter of mechanics rather than stats.

Things I would personally do: ditch lightning golem and/or run a low level golem on CWDT, support leap slam with faster attacks, ditch enduring cry.

Here's my take on it, was able to run pretty much every end game encounter (map mods excluded). https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/dyzzy/characters [dyzzyAssBalls]

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Thank you for taking a look, faster attacks + leap slam is a good idea, and I'll look at your guy to see how else to improve. As to where he feels squishy, a few map mod combinations have been problems, especially on boss fights, and also the chimera fight worked me hard enough that I figured in addition to learning the mechanics, I should probably re-evaluate my setup

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

TheRat posted:

Now this really tickles my funnybone. Double arc mjolner shield throw.

That's when you dual wield mjolners. It doesn't say "hits with this weapon" so it definitely should work.

Just tested in Standard, it's definitely only hits with Mjolner. Had an off-hand dagger and used Blade Flurry, no procs. Switched to Lightning Strike, ALL THE LIGHTNING.

edit: Or I could've just looked at the Wiki:

quote:

When the player hits an enemy with an attack using Mjölner, one of each lightning spell socketed in Mjölner will be cast instantly...

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 19, 2018

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Gonna throw exploding shields and build a zoo and it's gonna be great.

PoE is a good game.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Clockwerk posted:

:yeah:

The only question is, very strict or uber-strict?

On another note, I'm trying to complete all content this league, for the first time ever, and kind of hitting a wall in knowing what to upgrade next. I seem to be pushing best with my Ngahamu Cyclone Slayer, but still feel a little bit squishy in some fights. That probably wouldn't be a problem if I could learn the fights and 'git good', but alas. Would anyone mind making a recommendation on how I may want to respect my guy or what purchases to look for? I have roughly 15ex to spend.

Profile is at https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ClockworkUtopia/characters?characterName=Mythiar

Dying sun and picking up vaal pact look like the biggest upgrades to me.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Just tested in Standard, it's definitely only hits with Mjolner. Had an off-hand dagger and used Blade Flurry, no procs. Switched to Lightning Strike, ALL THE LIGHTNING.

edit: Or I could've just looked at the Wiki:

rip

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Clockwerk posted:

Thank you for taking a look, faster attacks + leap slam is a good idea, and I'll look at your guy to see how else to improve. As to where he feels squishy, a few map mod combinations have been problems, especially on boss fights, and also the chimera fight worked me hard enough that I figured in addition to learning the mechanics, I should probably re-evaluate my setup

One thing I forgot, per whale's advice vaal pact might be worth looking into given you are a full-on slayer. On my scion I actually liked the combo of arakaali pantheon w/ the DoT bonus (triggers every time you proc IC while blood rage is active) and non-VP leech more.

Chimera was probably my smoothest guardian to run, tied with hydra. You can delete the first 1/3rd of every add wave by whirling on top of it while it spawns in, and your overleech and good health pool should allow you to get through the smoke phase quickly (something where a faster leap slam helps a lot).

Try a stibnite instead of sulphur for some survivability in melee.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

A staff that ele converts everything to you already

cool I guess

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

frajaq posted:

A staff that ele converts everything to you already

cool I guess

the 15% block is massive :stare:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the 15% block is massive :stare:

Also,

Chris Wilson posted:

The version being shown here is what was used in our press tour (a couple of weeks ago). I have now heard it is slated for additional damage after the balance team had a second look at it this week, though unfortunately due to miscommunication, we posted the one from the press tour. Sorry about that, it's pretty hectic here!

That staff looks really really cool. If it gets enough of a boost I'm tempted to do a EQ (or tectonic strike maybe??) staff jugger again

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That Fated version might as well be an entirely different weapon.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

whypick1 posted:

That Fated version might as well be an entirely different weapon.

I actually like it better fated. That way, you could level with it, and just complete the prophecy when you hit 60.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Gonna make a shield thrower with faster proj + pierce and pretend I'm a Frozen Orb sorc.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

soscannonballs posted:

Gonna make a shield thrower with faster proj + pierce and pretend I'm a Frozen Orb sorc.

Why not just play Ball Lightning and wear Three Dragons? :V

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Being new to the game, I was curious what skills are mechanically similar to Diablo 3 skills, aside from Cyclone and Leap Slam, which fill Barb niches. I wanna see what kinds of D3 builds I could replicate in this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The most obvious one to me would be Scorching Ray and Disintegrate.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Keru posted:

Why not just play Ball Lightning and wear Three Dragons? :V

Ball Lightning doesn't explode into a bunch of shards

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/7xzz06/spectral_shield_throw_what_there_is_to_know/duiib6n/

Electro Fist now does not work with shield throw now per Mark.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Makes sense but I'm sure reddit will cry about it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Makes sense but I'm sure reddit will cry about it.

They've been crying about it since his first post on the subject 2 days ago.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What does Shield Throw use for weapon speed? Surely not your main hand weapon? In that case everyone's gonna use brightbeak with it and that's boring.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

We also have confirmation that you can use a wand with it and that the spectral shield takes on the 3D art of whatever shield you have equipped, which is cool

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

McFrugal posted:

What does Shield Throw use for weapon speed? Surely not your main hand weapon? In that case everyone's gonna use brightbeak with it and that's boring.

Base is 1.2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's already been confirmed that Brightbeak doesn't work with it.

quote:

There is a known bug with Fireball and a couple of other projectiles where an instance of the projectile animated object has to play it's end animation, which in those cases looks like the explosion, because of complciated technical bullshit to do with how projectile skills are structured, and the way animations are used, but this will be fixed eventually.
Mark always has the best dev answers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Obviously you go LL CoC with a super high ES shield and Redbeak, come on guys

J
Jun 10, 2001

Here's a new boss fight, people are already mad about the invincible add phase :grin:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that phase should probably be half as long

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

J posted:

Here's a new boss fight, people are already mad about the invincible add phase :grin:

Why are the corpses on the floor twice as large as the player? Did the boss harvest giants or something?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

QuantaStarFire posted:

Being new to the game, I was curious what skills are mechanically similar to Diablo 3 skills, aside from Cyclone and Leap Slam, which fill Barb niches. I wanna see what kinds of D3 builds I could replicate in this game.

Sunder and Seismic Slam are basically the exact same skill

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Terrific Accident posted:

Sunder and Seismic Slam are basically the exact same skill

Cyclone and Cast on Crit Ethereal Knives is basically Strafe :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I installed this game on a whim, and I’m enjoying it! Played quite a few hours tonight. I have a bunch of questions, of course, but I’ll watch the beginners guide videos linked in the OP. But there is one thing: I got a bad case of gamer’s cramp from all the clicking, is there some way to reduce that? Some small trick in the control options or something?