Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

NtotheTC posted:

Why is it that hackers tend to only use aim bot in hip fire mode? Is it due to the mechanics or needing to "panic" hs because they're losing the fight? Or just laziness

Why wouldn't they? There's zero advantage gained from ADS if you're already hitting every shot at any range with hipfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

John DiFool posted:

You're underestimating how much further $250 goes in some countries and the power of automation.

Not to mention the fact that getting account banned means very little in China since they can likely buy grey market keys for practically nothing.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What is even the point to hacking in this game. I kind of see it in a FPS like counter strike, but here you can't even get a reaction from the other guy. All 98 other players could be bots and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

drunken officeparty posted:

What is even the point to hacking in this game. I kind of see it in a FPS like counter strike, but here you can't even get a reaction from the other guy. All 98 other players could be bots and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You’ve never had anyone cry to you over open comms?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's irritating to spend 20 minutes cautiously loot goblining, riding the blue, etc. only to be headshotted by a hip-fired kar98 from someone a few pixels tall way off in the distance.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Accretionist posted:

It's irritating to spend 20 minutes cautiously loot goblining, riding the blue, etc. only to be headshotted by a hip-fired kar98 from someone a few pixels tall way off in the distance.

Clearly the correct play was to pull out your pump shotgun and hipfire and kill five players at 500 meters.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

NtotheTC posted:

Why is it that hackers tend to only use aim bot in hip fire mode? Is it due to the mechanics or needing to "panic" hs because they're losing the fight? Or just laziness

Why bother getting good at a game when you can have a program do it for you?

I was about to come in and say "OK, new season, hacking is less bad" as my first few games were actually pretty good. I was against some serious potatoes so I did way better than usual but still...no hacking in sight. I didn't win any of them but they were fun so whatever.

Then I get repeatedly killed by people that are blatantly wallhacking. The death cam was seriously somebody just staring at a wall then instantly aiming right at you the instant you come around a corner. It's complete nonsense.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The worst thing about cheaters is they don’t leave that many people for me to kill.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

VulgarandStupid posted:

The worst thing about cheaters is they don’t leave that many people for me to kill.

Having trouble getting more than 15 in a single game, any tips??

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey guys, I got killed by this guy yesterday in top 10: https://pubg.op.gg/user/Warzyy?server=eu
Looking at his profile I'm not sure if he's the European Shroud or if there is something fishy? Any inputs, is that guy a god?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
No reason to suspect anything based on those stats

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Stopped playing a few months ago when playing in the top 500 meant at least half the people on the server were aimbotting through walls.

Come back to a wiped board..... good less cheaters

Load into server, every single person talking is speaking Chinese...bad

die and watch the kill cam of the guy who snapped onto me behind a wall w/o any possibility of line of sight and proceeds to kill me from 300 m and snaps to 2 other guys about 500m further away with less than 15 rounds.

They ain't ever going to fix this. Only way to slow it down is to restrict the Chinese to Chinese servers

Also tried another game. Aussie primetime and not a single Aussie talking. If there was one playing they would be talking.

Is fortnite this bad?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Did Pubg literally hype their fancy new anti-cheating system that would disable cheat programs like "reshade" and then have the game explode with a dozen new types of cheats?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Raged posted:

Is fortnite this bad?

Dunno about hackers, but Fortnite is absolutely grueling to watch and is TPP only so I'm never going to play it.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Did Pubg literally hype their fancy new anti-cheating system that would disable cheat programs like "reshade" and then have the game explode with a dozen new types of cheats?

I don't actually know if I believe Bluehole when they say they implemented an anti-cheat system. It sure seems like the server trusts the client 100% even when the client tells the server something that cannot be possible.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'd have to agree, I'm pretty sure that the "anti-cheat" system is a really simple thing client side only that checks for some executable that are running in memory or something simple as that. When you see how the server side struggled with just managing the game at the start of the 1.0 release, I doubt they have a lot of ways to perform server side checks on client requests without making the game grind to an halt.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm sure they did make a really cool new anti-cheat system but the hacking arms race in PUBG might be unwinnable right now.

The general story is a german company called Bossland made an Overwatch hack but Blizzard sued them successfully and Bossland are being forced to pay Blizzard $8.5 million over it. At the same time Bossland has been banned from marketing and selling their hacks for Blizzard games. Bossland kept distributing their Overwatch hacks using private mailing lists and resellers since that's not violating the court order.

Turns out distributing them that way is lucrative for Bossland and other hack programmers (at least for now) because it has grown into a MLM type pyramid scheme which has gotten traction in china with resellers signing up more resellers and so on. Bossland released a PUBG hack and the resellers have been working like crazy to sign up more resellers and move copies/subs to it in China and elsewhere because the game is so popular. They need to shift copies of the hack so they hit internet cafes and places like that to work out a deal and install it on all the machines. Other cheat software manufacturers have followed suit because it gets them more sales/subs to let a network of resellers bust their rear end selling the software for them.

Tencent has been getting resellers arrested by the Chinese police to try and quell it but so far it's not working.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 20, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The problem is that PUBG has been the most popular game on steam for months now, so it's been an extremely big target for all cheatmakers and hackers. Even when they're doing stuff like banning over a million accounts in a month and patching holes that hacks can hook into (like the one that ended support for Reshade), it only means that more pops up.

What they need to do is:
- finish the ping locking system that they've been working on for months now before the anti-chinese talk gets even worse somehow
- start serving out hardware bans if possible to get rid of serial offenders and hacking-focused gaming cafes
- seriously consider redoing the netcode and/or the entire fundamental game systems so that something a lot more robust like Battleye can be implemented
- on top of all that, also work on more content so that people don't get even more antsy about no new obvious public facing changes

basically you can knock all that out in an afternoon I think

edit: stats

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 20, 2018

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Ping lock would make a lot of the cheaters disappear for people in the US and EU but it's not really getting rid of them. China is the largest playerbase for the game remember.

A more serious solution would be to shut down the use of the Steam inventory and marketplace but that's making the studio and Valve a ton of money so it seems unlikely. VAC bans to go with game bans might do the trick for that too.

It wouldn't get rid of hacking completely because as one of the most popular games in the world it will always have a hacking problem but it would slow it down.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they arent making worthwhile money from in game items

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They should just do "progressive server side anti-cheat" that kicks in when the game is down to 30-40 players, maybe even something that just selects certain players statistically.

Give me money bluehole, let's do this.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ping lock would mean that the OC servers would get worse. I really can't understand how it could get worse, but it would.

Last game today I watched a cargo drop all the way down and was right next to it when it landed. I was empty except for a .45 pistol

sigh

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Told you fellas they'd come to the ol' fpp

I done told ya

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Last season I moved over to FPP and probably only 1 out of every 10 deaths was blatant ... this season in OC severs it’s a wasteland of ChinaNo1 assholes

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Raged posted:

Ping lock would mean that the OC servers would get worse. I really can't understand how it could get worse, but it would.

Last game today I watched a cargo drop all the way down and was right next to it when it landed. I was empty except for a .45 pistol

sigh

Holy poo poo I kind of want to hack just to put a comical mix of items into the crates. 27 energy drinks? An AWM and a single bullet? A level 3 vest and helmet with 1 hp left? Literally the entire loot contents of Georgopol all placed into one crate? There's a lot of good material in that.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

abigserve posted:

Told you fellas they'd come to the ol' fpp

I done told ya

We all knew it wouldn't last. The good news is that there are some new BR games going into Beta this year.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

reshade owned so i'm lollin that it died for nothing.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

daslog posted:

We all knew it wouldn't last. The good news is that there are some new BR games going into Beta this year.

Are you talking about Mavericks? I'm really curious about this game, the teaser make me wants to see more however I seriously doubt that they will manage to make a playable game with 400 players.
Also people saying Miramar is too large need not apply: "Automaton Games' James Thompson offers a glimpse of the enormous 16km map we'll be able to explore"

Le0 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 20, 2018

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
More good laughs last night playing vehicle only. Goku, please make a couple of gimmick only channels on Discord so we don't get you normies coming into our gimmick games.

Serious note - are gimmick games griefing? I'm thinking yes, as more often than not the objective is just to gently caress with other people's experience and not to win the game.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm assuming most Chinese or Korean players play the game in a cyber cafe and don't actually own the game. So when they get banned, there isn't a cost to the player. How does that model work for players, especially when they get banned?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Why wouldn't they? There's zero advantage gained from ADS if you're already hitting every shot at any range with hipfire.

Well, I was mainly thinking in terms of subtlety.. hipfire makes it obvious whereas it would be potentially harder to tell with ADS. This of course assumes that the person is trying to avoid detection

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Serious note - are gimmick games griefing? I'm thinking yes, as more often than not the objective is just to gently caress with other people's experience and not to win the game.

In that case I guess I'm a griefer. Every time I play duo and my teammate dies early I just focus on finishing people off the moment I down them, even if it kills me. Better to revenge kill the guy that got your friend than to try and kill them both and end up failing :colbert:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

More good laughs last night playing vehicle only. Goku, please make a couple of gimmick only channels on Discord so we don't get you normies coming into our gimmick games.

I'm going to go ahead and say no they are not griefing. I mean it isn't like you're breaking any rules or exploiting anything. The vehicles are there and you can run people over with them. That's intended game behavior. Of course people are going to sometimes use vehicles more than guns.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've found the best way to deal with hackers is to disable death cam. It's better to assume you're just bad instead of feeding the rage inside you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Le0 posted:

Are you talking about Mavericks? I'm really curious about this game, the teaser make me wants to see more however I seriously doubt that they will manage to make a playable game with 400 players.
Also people saying Miramar is too large need not apply: "Automaton Games' James Thompson offers a glimpse of the enormous 16km map we'll be able to explore"

lol this is so dumb. just do the 100 players on maps half the size.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Canuckistan posted:

I made one. I can make more if there's a sudden influx of dumb idiots special players.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
new dev post

essentially:
- ping restrictions are coming very soon, with the first public test trials planned to come this week
- dev focus has been on anti-cheat over anything else, but there'll be a reveal of what they're doing for the first half of 2018 at some point next month (including a new map)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
This game is currently unplayable trash. I genuinely preferred the mechanics of this game to Overwatch but I'm not going to waste my time playing cheater-riddled trash.

"Anti-cheat is coming soon."

"Ping locking is coming soon."

"Region locking is coming soon."

Too little, too late.

Anyone who I enjoyed playing with has moved on to one of a half dozen other shooters that don't have crippling problems.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This game is currently unplayable trash. I genuinely preferred the mechanics of this game to Overwatch but I'm not going to waste my time playing cheater-riddled trash.

"Anti-cheat is coming soon."

"Ping locking is coming soon."

"Region locking is coming soon."

Too little, too late.

Anyone who I enjoyed playing with has moved on to one of a half dozen other shooters that don't have crippling problems.

okay bye

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol this is so dumb. just do the 100 players on maps half the size.

"Mavericks will have a 12km squared 'living and breathing' world", according to https://www.gamespot.com/articles/400-player-battle-royale-game-gets-a-teaser-traile/1100-6456852/. What is PUBG maps, about 7x7? That's 49 km squared already so this would be tiny.
The studio seems specialized on massively multiplayer stuff so hopefully the netcode would be good. But anyway, it looks like it's a long time off yet so who knows if it ever surfaces. A 2018 release like they promise seems unlikely to me, if they're not starting the closed beta until summer. Their teaser trailer is incredible humble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Scored an 8 kill duo CD last night. Took down a few people with a fully kitted Vector, and it felt real good. It seemed easier to keep on target than an equally equipped M4.