Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

The bug god stole Obelisk the Tormentor's body!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'm not misreading this arc, right? Garou is specifically being written as the protagonist so far. Eventually he's going to fight Saitama while Saitama is paying attention to him and lose horribly, but as it is Garou is just a typical shounen hero who is fed up with what he sees as unjust 'justice' and wants to be a monster to fight against the system he hates. He's just straight up the protagonist - he's even trying to save some kid!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nalin posted:

Translated chapter is out.

The secret to Saitama's strength is finally revealed!

It was 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, 100 squats, and 10km of running every day.

:wth:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hellsau posted:

I'm not misreading this arc, right? Garou is specifically being written as the protagonist so far. Eventually he's going to fight Saitama while Saitama is paying attention to him and lose horribly, but as it is Garou is just a typical shounen hero who is fed up with what he sees as unjust 'justice' and wants to be a monster to fight against the system he hates. He's just straight up the protagonist - he's even trying to save some kid!

Heroes are the good guys, monsters are the bad guys. C'mon, even kids know that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Yeah that's basically the gist of it. Hope you enjoy the Garou Arc!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Xarbala posted:

Yeah that's basically the gist of it. Hope you enjoy the Garou Arc!

I know I am!

The writing is stellar. This chapter was amazing. OPM is the God of Comics.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Garou's journey is more like Vegeta's during the Namek saga; he's an rear end in a top hat but he's our rear end in a top hat doing rear end in a top hat things

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Garou's journey is more like Vegeta's during the Namek saga; he's an rear end in a top hat but he's our rear end in a top hat doing rear end in a top hat things

He even has the Saiyan hair to prove it!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
And how many times has Garou got his poo poo wrecked? He's gonna be SO powerful when he recovers.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Aww, Dr. Genus has a tiny Asura Rhino plushie. :3:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

And how many times has Garou got his poo poo wrecked? He's gonna be SO powerful when he recovers.

That's how it's worked so far!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder where we go after this. We've done Earth's defender, incredible medicine, DNA manipulation, sea monster, aliens, and now an incredible martial artist. How do we escalate? All I've got right now is something coming back from the future, androids, vampires, or demons.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Parallel universe Saitama, who trained so hard he grew 12 ft long hair.

100 sit-ups, 100 pull-ups, 100 squats, and 10km of swimming every day. And never turn the heating on in winter.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder where we go after this. We've done Earth's defender, incredible medicine, DNA manipulation, sea monster, aliens, and now an incredible martial artist. How do we escalate? All I've got right now is something coming back from the future, androids, vampires, or demons.

There's still a number of mysteries that have been hinted at but not yet resolved:

(a) Who's the cyborg that destroyed Genos's town and killed his family?

(b) What's the true agenda / allegiances of Metal Knight, and why did Drive Knight warn Genos against Metal Knight?

(c) Who is Blast, and why has he been missing for so long?

(d) Is Watchdog Man a man wearing a dog costume, or a giant dog holding a human head / mask in his mouth?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

There's still a number of mysteries that have been hinted at but not yet resolved:

(a) Who's the cyborg that destroyed Genos's town and killed his family?

(b) What's the true agenda / allegiances of Metal Knight, and why did Drive Knight warn Genos against Metal Knight?

(c) Who is Blast, and why has he been missing for so long?

(d) Is Watchdog Man a man wearing a dog costume, or a giant dog holding a human head / mask in his mouth?

Honestly, I was just talking about arc antagonists.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Man nobody’s even mentioned his tooth yet, go back and re-read saitama’s backstory

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, I was just talking about arc antagonists.

Boros was explicitly designed to be a final boss (albeit one named after an MtG card lmao). Not of the arc. Of an entire series.

It literally doesn't matter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For those who wanted an explanation for Saitama's power this is the closest you're gonna get.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Now I want another explanation that completely contradicts this one.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Boros kind of just appeared as well, it's not like we got a lengthy plotline about him or whatever

They can just introduce villains with fun personalities/powers and keep it going however long they want. As long as the comedy is good and the action is good I'm good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Boros was explicitly designed to be a final boss (albeit one named after an MtG card lmao). Not of the arc. Of an entire series.

It literally doesn't matter.

Well jeez, sorry for wondering aloud.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
An obvious route would be to give Genos the spotlight for an arc, like they're giving Garou now

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Zzulu posted:

An obvious route would be to give Genos the spotlight for an arc, like they're giving Garou now

The story has done a pretty good job of keeping Genos's story relevant with new details here and there so I totally expect Genos to take the lead (or at least try).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Garou's going to wake up to find all his hair's gone

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Didn’t expect that all to be explained. Good to see that those two did actually reform haha. (House of evolution). It’s funny how much my opinion on Garou has changed. At first I wanted him to be curb stomped badly (what he did to Mumen rider was unforgivable) but yeah he’s p much the protagonist of this arc. Part of me hopes he’ll end up just one punching the monster king haha

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Didn’t expect that all to be explained. Good to see that those two did actually reform haha. (House of evolution). It’s funny how much my opinion on Garou has changed. At first I wanted him to be curb stomped badly (what he did to Mumen rider was unforgivable) but yeah he’s p much the protagonist of this arc. Part of me hopes he’ll end up just one punching the monster king haha

If he wants to be the strongest monster, he'll have to defeat the monster king to prove it, right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Garou is the best boy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

RareAcumen posted:

Well jeez, sorry for wondering aloud.

You're asking about power level escalation in a series where part of the point is that its irrelevant.

I realise its hard to tell, but the comedy manga that involves things being punched is not a shonen battle manga.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 20, 2018

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I always like to imagine that Vaccine Man was actually the strongest monster we've seen yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RareAcumen posted:

We escalate pretty loving wildly out of nowhere, and you'll know it when you see it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm so glad this chapter is out because I kept forgetting if Zombieman had seen the New House of Evolution in the redraw yet or not.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

We keep moving towards the months until the big prophecy that dead fortune teller told us about kicks in cause that thing is gonna be nucking futs man :shepface:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

At this point I think Garou has gotten his rear end kicked as many times as Genos, if not more.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Davinci posted:

I always like to imagine that Vaccine Man was actually the strongest monster we've seen yet.

I'm pretty sure he's ranked Dragon, but given his origins and the power he displayed, he was probably a potential God threat, just like Boros.

It was just Mother Nature's bad luck to have spawned him near Saitama.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
That man gained power, yes...

But at a terrible cost

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Great post/AV combo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm pretty sure he's ranked Dragon, but given his origins and the power he displayed, he was probably a potential God threat, just like Boros.

It was just Mother Nature's bad luck to have spawned him near Saitama.

There are no Gods(yet) just really strong Dragons.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dragonatrix posted:

You're asking about power level escalation in a series where part of the point is that its irrelevant.

I realise its hard to tell, but the comedy manga that involves things being punched is not a shonen battle manga.

Yes, please do not talk about :

quote:

No matter how much effort one puts in, every living being has an intrinsic limit to its growth. Too much power becomes unbearable and overwhelms its host, turning it into a mindless rampaging monster. To ensure that we do not enter the realm where we lose all purpose and ability to reason, god has set limits to the growth of every being. The mechanism with which growth is controlled is called the limiter. […]

When a human transforms into a monster, it is caused by an abnormal cell reaction triggered by an explosion of negative emotions. These often stem from unsatisfied needs or the desire to change into someone else, particularly in those prone to vices or with an inferiority complex. There are also those whose cell mutations are triggered by environmental factors, as well as those like my research specimens who become strong monsters through the power of science. In addition, there are many cases where non-human lifeforms are transformed into monsters as a result of pollution and other factors. These are transformations into a different being, not removing one's limiter.

In a broader sense, the seafolk that attacked J-City and the aliens that appeared in A-City can also be considered monsters. However, they were such creatures from the beginning, the natural enemies to intelligent humans, if you will.

Similarly, the heroes with the power to oppose these beings were born with the potential to become strong and eventually obtained their power through talent or hard work. There are others who obtained special abilities by mechanizing their body or through human experimentation, like you. In addition, there are possibly those who were born with their brilliance, like me, or those who possess unique abilities.

But "he" was different. An ordinary birth, an ordinary life, just a normal person with no talent or potential. Through effort alone, he pried open the door of his limits and broke his limiter. [In exchange for his power, he became bald. And after annihilating the strongest being in the history of my research with a single blow, his expression told me of the overwhelming feeling of alienation his strength had given him.]

The strength of those who break their limiters and evolve on their own defies common sense. If I had to guess how strong they've become… Just thinking about it makes me laugh at how comical my ambitions were.

aka :thejoke:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Garou is my manga boyfriend. Great chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I dunno about that man. I'm not quite convinced Garou could blow up the planet or even wipe out a city in one strike right now.