Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anne Whateley posted:

Open your windows? Put a fan in them?

Yeah-just didn’t want to do that when it’s 30 outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

nwin posted:

So I seared some scallops last night for dinner.

They were great, but now the house still stinks, even after lighting a candle last night and spraying febreeze. I just took the trash out in case some of that was the cause-anything else I can do to get rid of this smell?

In my experience, a great smell buster is to simmer one part water and one part white vinegar on the stove until it's almost gone or your pot boils dry (be careful). I usually do 4 cups of the mixture at a gentle boil, but use your judgment.

This trick has helped me get rid of the smell of burned hard-boiled eggs (whoops) and cannabis butter my roommate made one year. The vinegar will smell pretty sharp for a while, but it will dissipate, hopefully along with the seafood smell.

Good luck.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I find that any kind of citrus based scents counter seafood related smells pretty well.

If you've got any lemon air freshener or cleaner maybe just clean a countertop or two with it and see if it helps.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Alternatively, put a shirt on and just open the drat window instead of trying to cover up the smell with something else.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Pea question. Last year I grew a ridiculous quantity of marrowfat peas in my garden. Some I picked green, hulled and froze and they are delicious just by themselves. The rest of the peas I allowed to dry, then I harvested them to save for later. The problem is, what do I do with them now? I've been looking up recipes for dried peas but they all seem to be for split peas, which are different from what I grew. Also I don't feel like peeling several pounds of dried peas by hand. Maybe there's a machine or technique I can use for this?

What can I do with three pounds of dried marrowfat peas, aside from rehydrating them and eating them as if they were frozen? I'll try (and probably like) just about any recipe.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get a centrifuge and make the pea butter from Modernist Cuisine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Then take the solids and make pea falafel out of them. You'll wonder why you never had so much peaness in your mouth before

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well you can make pea soup but it's gonna have a bunch of skins in it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Mush them up like refried beans.

Mushy peas, if you will.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Hydrolize them, blend them, put them in a centrifuge, remove the protein layer, dry it, then make one homemade protein shake out of your 3lbs of dried peas.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mush them up like refried beans.

Mushy peas, if you will.

This is the leading contender. It's similar to recipes I found for a British dish called mushy peas, a side for fish n chips. I love peas and I love refried beans, so I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

For some reason whenever I'm soft boiling my eggs, one of eggs tend to crack. I'm pretty careful with them, and I ladle each egg individually into the boiling water slowly. The egg tends to crack instantly when I place them into the water. Anyway I can stop this?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Are you putting them in straight from the fridge? You might have better luck with room temperature eggs.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

legendof posted:

Are you putting them in straight from the fridge? You might have better luck with room temperature eggs.

I am. I've always been a bit nervous about eggs getting to room temperature because of "food safety" issues. I assume It's safe to let the eggs sit for like 15-20 minutes while they warm to room temperature?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

obi_ant posted:

I am. I've always been a bit nervous about eggs getting to room temperature because of "food safety" issues. I assume It's safe to let the eggs sit for like 15-20 minutes while they warm to room temperature?

I'm not sure what could happen in 15-20 minutes unless you live in a disease ridden hovel.

You could also run them under a warm tap to take the chill off if you do indeed live in a disease ridden hovel.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
As I understand it in most of the world outside the USA eggs are shipped, warehoused, sold, and stored at room temperature.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

moller posted:

As I understand it in most of the world outside the USA eggs are shipped, warehoused, sold, and stored at room temperature.

I can't speak for all countries logistics, but my French friend always left his eggs on the counter after he bought them. He looked at me like I was an idiot when I told him he should keep them in the fridge!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

obi_ant posted:

In most places eggs are stored at room temperature, though it is important to note that in the US they are washed after being laid which removes the cuticle and means that for long term preservation they must be refrigerated. Regardless, the eggs you buy at the grocery are months old when you buy them and are safe to bring up to room temperature before cooking, if the egg is dangerous it's dangerous whether you bring it up to room temperature briefly before cooking or not.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

obi_ant posted:

For some reason whenever I'm soft boiling my eggs, one of eggs tend to crack. I'm pretty careful with them, and I ladle each egg individually into the boiling water slowly. The egg tends to crack instantly when I place them into the water. Anyway I can stop this?

I keep my eggs in the fridge. Fill your pot with cold water from the sink and put the egg in at the start of the boiling process. The more gradual increase in the temperature of the egg should keep it from cracking, though you may have to shave a minute or two off whatever time table you are using for soft-boiled eggs since they'll start cooking sooner.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've been making jerky in a dehydrator. Pretty much have the sizing and timing down and I just finished a batch with Soy/Teriyaki/Worcestershire sauce with some smoked garlic and pimenton. It tastes amazing, nearly perfect combo of salt/sweet/smoky. Any suggestions for some creative or left-field marinades? Or just your personal favourite.

HMU :jerky:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I was making a prime rib roast yesterday, and as always I have a shitton of leftovers. Just reheating slices of prime rib is getting kind of boring, does someone have a fun recipe to make use of them? Slice them up thinly for carne asada tacos?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jeza posted:

I've been making jerky in a dehydrator. Pretty much have the sizing and timing down and I just finished a batch with Soy/Teriyaki/Worcestershire sauce with some smoked garlic and pimenton. It tastes amazing, nearly perfect combo of salt/sweet/smoky. Any suggestions for some creative or left-field marinades? Or just your personal favourite.

Viet jerky is boss

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why do insane amounts of black and white pepper work in fried chicken breading when they'd be overpowering in anything else?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeza posted:

peanut butter and lime.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Just wanted to drop back in and say thanks to those who let me know that Penzey's spices were a good Christmas gift, and to let you know that if any of you chef-y types are looking for a good gift for non-talented cooks, those Penzy spice blends are amazing. I went back and picked some up for myself (Tsardust Memories, Krakow Nights, Fox Point and a couple of others) and drat, it's incredible what a little sprinkle of them can do for a chicken breast or steamed veggies. It makes everything delicious, they'd probably work on an old shoe. I know it's easy to make your own spice mixes, but for us untalented ones, Penzey's are awesome. I get sincere compliments on my cooking now.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Regardless, the eggs you buy at the grocery are months old when you buy them.

That seems... unlikely. Are you suggesting suppliers have strategic egg reserves to help weather supply side problems? I know refrigerated eggs can last months, but why would a supplier store them for months before sale?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

baquerd posted:

That seems... unlikely. Are you suggesting suppliers have strategic egg reserves to help weather supply side problems? I know refrigerated eggs can last months, but why would a supplier store them for months before sale?

quote:

Each carton of USDA graded eggs must show the date of packaging, the processing plant number, and may include an expiration date. USDA assures that all labeling and claims made on the carton are truthful and accurate. To determine freshness, a Julian date or pack-date calendar can be used. This three-digit code indicates the date of packaging, starting with January 1 as 001 and ending with December 31 as 365. These numbers represent the consecutive days of the year. You can store fresh shell eggs in their cartons in the refrigerator for four to five weeks beyond this date."

quote:

Always purchase eggs before the "Sell-By" or "EXP'" date on the carton. After the eggs reach home, refrigerate the eggs in their original carton and place them in the coldest part of the refrigerator, not in the door. For best quality, use eggs within 3 to 5 weeks of the date you purchase them. The 'sell-by' date will usually expire during that length of time, but the eggs are perfectly safe to use."

These bad boys were in the carton on August 8, sell by September 6, and good for another 30-ish days after the sell by date.

So at minimum, if they got the egg in the carton the same day it was laid, the egg is USDA approved to be eaten for 60 days.

https://food.unl.edu/cracking-date-code-egg-cartons

Can't find much regarding how long farmers have between laying to packing, but it's safe to say that if a egg lasts 60 days from packing to "prob shouldn't eat anymore", they're in no hurry to get em into the carton in the first place.

Little bit more digging and most farms claim anywhere from 24 hours to a week from chicken butt to the carton.

Edit: Got takeout Indian tonight and they gave me like 2lbs of plain basmati rice. Anything interesting to do with the leftovers?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 19, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

baquerd posted:

Yes, essentially that, it's all about smoothing out the supply chain. If you want to know more look here. The egg can sit for up to a month before getting into a carton and another month after that before the sell by date.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, really interesting. I now want to check out how fresh those insane $9/dozen heirloom whatever eggs are that I see at the high end stores.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, essentially that, it's all about smoothing out the supply chain. If you want to know more look here. The egg can sit for up to a month before getting into a carton and another month after that before the sell by date.

Nowhere on that page does the author claim the egg is sitting up to a month before getting packed in a carton.

quote:

Then there's the other part of the equation. Trying to determine the date the egg was actually laid. Figuring out how long it was before that egg was put in the carton. Which is pretty much impossible to determine - but realize it could be up to another 30 days before the date on the carton (and honestly, is anyone from the government really camped out at egg farms with a stopwatch to determine the time from when the hen lays that egg until it finally reaches the carton? I think not.)

I've read commercial farm claims that most eggs make it into the stores within 1-2 days and almost all make it within 72 hours of being laid. That means the eggs is laid, collected, cleaned, sorted, candled, cartoned, packaged, trucked, unloaded and shelved. Whew! All in 72 hours? Hmmm....

Is all they say about it. The author is pretty much just going "HMMMM" :thunk:

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 19, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Nowhere on that page does the author claim the egg is sitting up to a month before getting packed in a carton.

Is all they say about it. The author is pretty much just going "HMMMM" :thunk:

All I said is that they can sit for up to 30 days before packaging, as in it is legal for them to sit for that long, obviously that will vary from one producer to another.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I started cooking cause I wanted to get closer to my food but tbh it all ends up in arguments like this. I should just move to a farm or something

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: Got takeout Indian tonight and they gave me like 2lbs of plain basmati rice. Anything interesting to do with the leftovers?

Fried rice, but at the end let it sit in the hot pan for like 3 minutes on med-high so it gets a thick crust like paella socarrat or Persian rice :flashfap:

Oh yeah top it with a runny egg

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BrianBoitano posted:

Oh yeah top it with a runny egg

This is the correct answer for any food question.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why do insane amounts of black and white pepper work in fried chicken breading when they'd be overpowering in anything else?

Flour and many other starches (like potatoes) absorb flavour, meaning that in general you need to add alot more flavour to them to be able to taste them. Like, if I added a teaspoon of cinammon to a half liter of soup it would be very strong, but adding the same amount to a half liter of cake batter would give quite a mild flavour.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Filipino goons, what is a "kenchi cut" of beef? I've read various accounts online that it's either a chuck steak or boneless shank.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

al-azad posted:

Filipino goons, what is a "kenchi cut" of beef? I've read various accounts online that it's either a chuck steak or boneless shank.

It can be either but usually refers to a boneless shank

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Help, I'm still poo poo at making white rice

It seems to always come out kind of sticky and mushy, I never get those separate and defined grains of rice. I don't have a rice cooker but I feel like there should still be some way to achieve this, or get close to it. I've just watched a few youtube videos and A) they say conflicting things and B) in some of them the people are claiming this is how to get rice that isn't sticky or mushy, yet you can see in the video that it obviously is

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Paperhouse posted:

Help, I'm still poo poo at making white rice

It seems to always come out kind of sticky and mushy, I never get those separate and defined grains of rice. I don't have a rice cooker but I feel like there should still be some way to achieve this, or get close to it. I've just watched a few youtube videos and A) they say conflicting things and B) in some of them the people are claiming this is how to get rice that isn't sticky or mushy, yet you can see in the video that it obviously is

Are you using the plastic bag rice you get from the supermarket? What kind of rice is it? Long, med, short grain? Have you followed the directions on the bag faithfully? If you are stirring your rice at all...stop. After you turn off the heat just let it sit covered for a long time.

Plastic bag rice from the supermarket tends to be soupy and weird. If you can find Basmati, it always cooks fluffy and separate. If you are using sushi rice to try and get fluffy and separate lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Now you get to laugh at me and my question:

I've been making 6 and a half minute boiled eggs and I've been having a terrible time peeling them. I've salted the water, I've baking soda'd the water, I thought I was using older eggs..but about half the time I end up mangling the eggs while shelling. Help!