Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

FTL I understand, but has anyone said they're gonna miss the current borders mechanic?

Cause good riddance.

I've seen a couple of people lament the loss of the one planet, grab-all-the-territory-with-outposts style of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've seen a couple of people lament the loss of the one planet, grab-all-the-territory-with-outposts style of play.
Can't you theoretically do that with the new system as well?

Unhappy Meal posted:

I will miss having the one empire I didn't close borders to cramming a frontier outpost in the middle of my space, and then whining about border friction.
Yeah, me too.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dude, what the gently caress!

I thought we were FRIENDS, Emata! You just loving cockblocked me big time! Your space isn't even connected to that poo poo and there aren't even any inhabitable worlds in that area (just the creepy space orb floating next to a blackhole). Whhhhhyyyy?!

Can I tell them to dismantle this outpost or give it to me somehow? I'd rather not get into a war with a fellow representative democracy, especially when I've got the religious Zealots pushing in on my territory. I reaaallly want that outpost out of my way though... Damnit Emata :smith:

[edit] What a bummer note to end the night on. I guess ensuring I get that link between arms instead of the Pirazean is even more important now...
[edit2] They just built a second outpost up there in a neighboring system and pushed me out of a system where I had a few mining stations active (which apparently just go poof?). You're pissing me off Emata, damnit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Loss? That's actually a viable strategy now, rather than being an absurd influence sink with monthly influence maintenance on frontier stations.

If anything it's a bit weird, but that new Gaia World civic will actually do nothing to slow down territorial acquisition. You can claim the same territory regardless of how many planets you settle.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

So you realize he's talking about the previous version of the game, right

Like "bluh bluh you can use an older version if you like wormholes that much" but what you're totally missing is if you stick to an older version you don't get any new updates. Ever.

Do you realize what he's actually saying is "wah, I'm a little cry baby who can't handle a developer actually continuing development on their game"? Your attempt to defend the idea of accepting that developers create multiple versions of their games that are constantly patched and updated to support special snowflakes who don't like the vision of the game developer is even more ridiculous than having that opinion in the first place.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

nessin posted:

Do you realize what he's actually saying is "wah, I'm a little cry baby who can't handle a developer actually continuing development on their game"? Your attempt to defend the idea of accepting that developers create multiple versions of their games that are constantly patched and updated to support special snowflakes who don't like the vision of the game developer is even more ridiculous than having that opinion in the first place.

That's not what I was saying at all, but okay.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eiba posted:

Loss? That's actually a viable strategy now, rather than being an absurd influence sink with monthly influence maintenance on frontier stations.

If anything it's a bit weird, but that new Gaia World civic will actually do nothing to slow down territorial acquisition. You can claim the same territory regardless of how many planets you settle.

The One-Planet Strategy was 100% broken. You grabbed all the territory with outposts, with mining stations providing 100% of your mineral income and science, with homeworld dedicated entirely to energy/unity/food. Survive until 2250 (when your tech lead starts making you an unattractive target to the AI), and you win.

The new patch has tech/unity costs increase per system owned, so you might as well settle what you find.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What time on Thursday can we expect Apocalypse to unlock?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

The Bramble posted:

What time on Thursday can we expect Apocalypse to unlock?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

FTL I understand, but has anyone said they're gonna miss the current borders mechanic?

Cause good riddance.

I will miss the very specific occurrence of stacking enough bonuses and pops that my blob ends up overpowering the blobs of lesser empires and starts stealing their mining stations and loving up their hyperlane networks, if that counts. I'll happily give it up for good and pretty borders.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cause good riddance.

Yea, I'll miss being a dick with it (in multiplayer or not), but otherwise gently caress this poo poo.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

100% of the time I took "border expansion" abilities just because there's one drat black hole system that keeps crossing over into an ai empire and making me lose like living metal.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I was really just caught off guard more by the visual difference of the new borders of having these snaking empires with thick borders around your stuff as opposed to these giant gaseous looking masses.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I only have 46 hours in the game and haven't touched it for months, despite liking it. But this is the expansion which will bring me back. Space Lanes will make warfare more like in pulp military Sci-Fi stories and there are finally bigger ships and doomsday weapons.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Keep seeing people saying they'll miss "corvette exploration". What's there to miss? Like was that actually fun for people? I don't get it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Keep seeing people saying they'll miss "corvette exploration". What's there to miss? Like was that actually fun for people? I don't get it.

If you say you're removing the "puts red-hot needles into your brain" feature of a game next patch someone will pop up to say they'll miss it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

If you say you're removing the "puts red-hot needles into your brain" feature of a game next patch someone will pop up to say they'll miss it.

Excuse me, the game never forced you to put red-hot needles into your brain, it just allowed you to do so, and I resent Paradox removing my freedom to choose whether or not I wanted to stick red-hot needles into my brain.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol you aren’t really familiar with paradox are you

crusader kings 2 came out in february 2012, why don’t you go have a look at the available dlc and tell us if you think it’s been abandoned by the devs

My first paradox game was Europa Universallis 1, how familiar are you with paradox? The specific comment I made in relation to paradox as opposed to developers in general was that the mods, support and patching dries up when a new entry in a franchise is released. So tell me, how many patches were released for CK1 after February 2012? How many expansions for EU3 were released after EU4 came out? Remember that whether you disagree with the contention or not, the post I wrote was in response to someone suggesting that the Cherryh patch is effectively a new game, Stellaris 2. How much support does Paradox give games after their sequels come out?

To be clear, I'm not saying Paradox is bad for not patching old games once a sequel is out. I'm saying the opposite, it's unreasonable to lament it.

Mind you, it's not like Paradox aren't known to abandon support of some of their games either. How much DLC is there for March of The Eagles? Remember that Sengoku game which was essentially a prototype for what would become CK2? Or Diplomacy?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Gort posted:

But this was the only way I could feel human.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

My first paradox game was Europa Universallis 1, how familiar are you with paradox?

well actually I was alive during the actual thirty years' war and let me tell you its update cycle was atrocious

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Aethernet posted:

well actually I was alive during the actual thirty years' war and let me tell you its update cycle was atrocious

I can't sue for peace as long as I have mercenaries raised, and I can't disband mercenaries until I can pay them but I can't pay them because the mercenaries keep reducing base tax in every province they've been in, Paradox plz fix.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Aethernet posted:

I've been playing them so long, I remember when Taear's terrible opinions about Paradox Games were the common wisdom about paradox games.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I wont miss the mechanics of corvette exploration but I will certainly miss the ability to do early game exploration in general, since I liked learning stuff quickly, I liked meeting all the different alien races, I liked planninh out lwngth galaxy spanning voyages, I liked identifying perfect far flung colonization prospects to develop my piecemeal island empires. I will certainly miss most of the things corvette exploration allowed. I also just generally like mapping things and acquiring more information about the world than my enemies.

Of course I havent played in forever and am only considering playing again so not like its a big loss :v:

I guess its sort of like someone hearing they had completely removed planet invasions from the game, or war in general was replaced with automated border realignment and you didnt control military ships anymore, because both of those are far more red needles in brain than corvette exploration and I hate them but I understand why someone would be unhappy if they were removed.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 20, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

whyy dont you just do that with a science ship?

granted, armed science cruisers would be p rad

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

I wont miss the mechanics of corvette exploration but I will certainly miss the ability to do early game exploration in general, since I liked learning stuff quickly, I liked meeting all the different alien races, I liked planninh out lwngth galaxy spanning voyages, I liked identifying perfect far flung colonization prospects to develop my piecemeal island empires. I will certainly miss most of the things corvette exploration allowed. I also just generally like mapping things and acquiring more information about the world than my enemies.
You can still do that, just at the cost of firing a manned science ship into the unknown instead of a corvette. That makes it a decent mechanical trade-off for the benefits, as opposed to the current system where you pay in tedium and tendonitis.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm pretty sure that you can mod this in so that your USS Enterprise knockoff is poised to shoot back.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

No, it was annoying and tedious busy work. I'm going to have some of the people my barbaric despoilers kidnap poo poo on its grave.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Trying to do it with a science ship before was simultaenously super slow, even more mechanically annoying, and incredibly expensive and risky to the point where doing so would actively harm your ability to do basically anything else. There was a tech to make it a bit more convenient at the expense of making it even stupider, but I also havent played in a while.

Has something major changed in the way science ships worked that make them a decent exploration tool now, or somehow suited for voyages of exploration?

Like I am not saying corvette exploration was mechanically appealing but exploration in general was appealing and corvette exploration was the least frustrating and least tedious way to do it, so if its been removed for being frustrating and tedious then theres obviously the worry that exploration has been functionally removed completely and that is where the people who like exploration might be worried

If they replaced it with something better I wish people would talk about that instead of seeming excited that exploration was removed which is how it comes across now

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 20, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean you need to fully survey a system before you can claim it so there's certainly more reason to use science ships other than because other ships just don't work.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I mean you need to fully survey a system before you can claim it so there's certainly more reason to use science ships other than because other ships just don't work.

you couldnt previously use science ships to explore. obviously you need them to survey systems but thats a completely unrelated activity with a completely different purposes

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

Trying to do it with a science ship before was simultaenously super slow, even more mechanically annoying, and incredibly expensive and risky to the point where doing so would actively harm your ability to do basically anything else. There was a tech to make it a bit more convenient at the expense of making it even stupider, but I also havent played in a while.

Has something major changed in the way science ships worked that make them a decent exploration tool now, or somehow suited for voyages of exploration?

Like I am not saying corvette exploration was mechanically appealing but exploration in general was appealing and corvette exploration was the least frustrating and least tedious way to do it, so if its been removed for being frustrating and tedious then theres obviously the worry that exploration has been functionally removed completely and that is where the people who like exploration might be worried

If they replaced it with something better I wish people would talk about that instead of seeming excited that exploration was removed which is how it comes across now
Are science ships really that slow compared to corvettes? I thought they were about as fast. Leaders now cost 200 energy instead of 50 influence, so you have to commit 100 minerals, 200 energy and a leader slot, compared to the 100 minerals a corvette costs. Doesn’t seem so horrible to me.

Not sure what you mean by exploring with science ships being more annoying mechanically.

quote:

you couldnt previously use science ships to explore.
I don’t see why not?

Staltran fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 20, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As in under the new system you have to survey whole systems before you can claim or colonize, while previously, exploration was all you really needed because you could just send a science ship to survey any likely world you found and claiming it was just a matter of distance which would also put a lot of other systems under your control. Now you want to build a line of claimed systems to keep costs down and gain access to those resources/control your borders.

So, exploring without surveying is going to be less useful, so science ships doing both creates a sensible synergy. Meaningful exploration is now much slower, which I think is a bit better than just pre-programming a bunch of paths into each individual corvette at the very start and then never really touching it again.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 20, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

Trying to do it with a science ship before was simultaenously super slow

GlyphGryph posted:

you couldnt previously use science ships to explore.
You can explore with science ships in 1.9 just like with corvettes, it's just pricier. So in 2.0 firing a ship off into the unknown will be the same mechanically, it's just a much bigger capital investment so no longer a no-brainer. If you do want to rapidly forge into the unknown though unlocking Discovery for the boost to science ship evasion is both thematic and a good idea.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Science ships get free upgrades now, so hopefully they'll be faster in general.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Whelp, the hype is over. I was actually super pumped for Cherryh and Apocalypse. I never bought Synthetic dawn, I don't really care for robots. And I never bought the plantoid species pack, it didn't seem necessary. In contrast to CK2, where I admit to having bought every single portrait pack (but none of the troop packs, those were stupid). But was in a really good mood last Friday, looking at the Steam page and seeing the sales. So I wanted to buy Synthetic Dawn, the plantoid pack and even upgrade my game to the Nova edition. I really like the business model of Paradox, so I figured I could toss them 4 Euros, even if I didn't need anything from the Nova pack (the arachnoid is ugly). But then I had bullshit trouble with PayPal, and I couldn't sort it out till today.

Then I open Steam and see that the sale is over. Now I'm super mad at PayPal but also at Paradox. Who ends their sales two days before their new DLC comes out?!? gently caress you so much, PayPal, but also gently caress you, Paradox. I'll never buy any species pack or Synthetic Dawn now, and I'm seriously reconsidering buying Apocalypse. I'll go over the feature list again when I calmed down. Perhaps I will just play the Cherryh update, without giving Paradox any money. This really sucks, because I was so hyped for Stellaris 2.0 :saddowns:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The thing that made corvettes slow and annoying was having to manually click everywhere you needed them to go and plot out there routes. Which doesnt change for science except they are programmed to behave like idiots if they ever encounter a hostile. Which you can change but it makes them very vulnerable because then they will behave even stupider and unlike corvettes you wont have the option of evaccing them against even weak enemies. So mechanically just a more annoying and more expensive alternative.

As to cost, corv exploration was completely free since you started with corvettes and that was all you needed.

Of course later on you can get autosurveying but by then exploration is largely impossible, you cant combine it with a noncoward stance since free exploration regardless WILL kill your ship and quickly, and its obviously many many times slower than corvette exploration.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

See now this is why people might be upset. The change isnt "we removed corv exploration because it was frustrating and tedious and replaced it with something that is more fun or less tedious" its somewhere between "we removed exploration altogether" and "and we left it equally if not made it more tedious and made it WAY more frustrating and also far more expensive to do"

Even if you disliked corvette exploration I fail to see how thats something to look forward to

I was initially excited about the idea of them removing corv exploration because I thought it would mean a better system, but man you guys really soured me on the idea and I am mostly hoping now that you are all just pretty dumb and they did something fun instead (but they probably didnt)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 20, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

The thing that made corvettes slow and annoying was having to manually click everywhere you needed them to go and plot out there routes. Which doesnt change for science except they are programmed to behave like idiots if they ever encounter a hostile.
...they jump out of the system and try to repath to their destination?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
You could always explore with science ships, it's just that it was only a matter of time before they would run into a swarm of space baddies that happened to be loitering right next to the science ship's arrival point in the system, and then your defenseless science ship would be instantly blown up (taking your experienced scientist with it) before it could even emergency FTL. The benefit of corvettes was that they were far less helpless and you didn't care if you lost one, so they were ideal advance scouts that could be used to cheaply identify systems too dangerous to enter.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Ships will attempt to disengage now, and it's highly likely science ships and other civilians will be pretty good at it. As for exploration, science ships are cheap and you can still just let them visit each system to get a quick overview like you could with corvettes (to get an idea of the strategic terrain - where are the wormholes, gateways, etc.). If you're that worried about your good scientist, explore with a level 1 scientist and survey with your high level one - but the whole "oh they're just going to get blown up all the time" is ridiculous. Jumping on top of hostiles with a science ship happens maybe twice in per game, total (plus, disengagement is thing now). It's a non-issue.

Also, the moment you get +1 sensor range you can start doing corvette exploration again. If you're that worried, rush sensor tech/enigmantic engineering.

vvv Civilians encounter hostiles on evasive will not try to rejump into the system they were in. They'll go to safety and wait for new orders - with a giant red question mark in the outliner and a notification on top and an audible notification to let you know they need new orders.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Splicer posted:

...they jump out of the system and try to repath to their destination?

I never found this to actually work.

• Locked thread