Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

* I have the quest and stupidly tried doing it with pubbies and everyone was getting carted because apparently Vaal Hazak is really hard?

I spanked the other two elder dragons no problem, but for some reason Vaal knocked the hell out of me. I still beat him on my first try, but it wasn't a smooth victory by any stretch. Mostly because I couldn't block his gas, and it took too long to put my gunlance away when I needed to dodge or flash him. I guess people just find different things difficult, because I'm a little baffled at the people throwing a poo poo fit over Kushala or Teostra, when I thought they were disappointingly easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I've just been going straight through the story missions which whatever armour I could make plus my three deaths to him so far were 'phew I just about avoided tha- why the gently caress am I dead'

You might want to consider looking into a specific armor build now that you're in Elder Dragon territory. As a plus, the tier2 HR Monsters (the raths, uragaan, doggo, bagel) give armor that's actually pretty decent defense-wise, and certainly better than Zorah gear even if some are the same Rarity.

Rathalos Chest + Boots are a quick way to get max Weakness Exploit which is good for both ranged and melee (though more definitely the former), especially if you got lucky and have a Rathalos Ruby or at least a Gold Ticket. The Rathalos set bonus also applies your critical damage bonus to elemental attacks (which normally don't get the crit bonus), which again is really good for ranged characters and still strong with certain melee weapon users.

Bazel armor is a good Earplugs set and being able to just no-sell a roar and keep hitting is a huge boost to DPS, and the chestpiece comes with Guard if you use a weapon with a shield.

Speaking of Guard, Uragaan armor is even better for shieldy types and the ura set bonus lets you block Unblockable attacks.

Odogaron armor is probably the most popular for straight-up melee DPS builds, with decent crit and a sharpness preserving set bonus, which when paired with Handicraft can push a melee weapon into white sharpness for a big damage boost and keep it there longer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I spanked the other two elder dragons no problem, but for some reason Vaal knocked the hell out of me. I still beat him on my first try, but it wasn't a smooth victory by any stretch. Mostly because I couldn't block his gas, and it took too long to put my gunlance away when I needed to dodge or flash him. I guess people just find different things difficult, because I'm a little baffled at the people throwing a poo poo fit over Kushala or Teostra, when I thought they were disappointingly easy.

As a bow main, it took embarrassingly long to get to the point where I have Nerg on farm, even if no other ED gives me anything resembling trouble. I'm actually wary of fighting tempered Nerg because of this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Tempered Kushala is the easiest elder dragon I’ve fought. Everyone, and I mean everyone I’ve grouped with for it brings a full stack of flash pods and bugs. We had one hunt where we kept him pinned in his first or 2nd area. Also I spent a good hour yesterday setting up customized gear loadouts for each tempered dragon. It’s SO NICE not having to micro manage decorations before each hunt.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fuzz posted:

I need a good HR Bow set now that I've got the final Diablos and Tobi bows. I'm currently running with a modification of my melee set which is:

Eyepatch
Nerg Chest, gloves, and waist
Dober pants

It's kitted out such that I end up with Attack 7, Weakness Exploit 3, and Stamina surge 3, with a smattering of other stuff... it's built around damage, obviously, but no big bonuses to anything bow related since I don't have the crazy Legiana set bonus gem or one for that suped up Dragonpiercer. Also no Constitution, which is a bummer. Thoughts?

My favorite endgame bows are Diablos for pure/raw damage (offset low affinity with Weakness Exploit), but also Anjanath's bow for anything not resistant to fire (tons of fire damage that actually adds up.) Other good ones to have on hand are Negigante's (Doom's Shaft; unlocked Dragon element and high Elderseal) and Tobi Keith's (I think -- Flying Kadachi Strikebow, lesser damage but good base affinity and relatively high unlocked Thunder element.) There doesn't seem to be a water or ice bow worth a poo poo unless you want to spec into Free Element, which to me isn't worth the skill sacrifice.

About your skills -- Constitution is probably my favorite skill! Consider crafting and upgrading the Constitution charm (Fitness Charm.) The materials were kinda bonkers (I think one of the upgrades required a Teostra gem, for example) but it's 3 points of Constitution in one slot, and +3 is probably good enough. Otherwise, pretty good. I personally stop at Attack +4 for the affinity bonus, but bows need all the attack they can get, so maybe I'll try maxing it out sometime.

My gear/skills:

Bow (Nergigante: Crisis gem, Diablos: Attack, Crisis)
Dragonking Eyepatch alpha (various coating gem based on monster)
Nergigante Mail beta (Constitution gem)
Kushala Grip beta (Constitution gem unless Diablos bow, then Elementless)
Nergigante Coil beta (Weakness Exploit gem)
Dober Greaves alpha
Fitness Charm III

Skills:
Attack Boost +4
Weakness Exploit +3
Constitution +5
Stamina Surge +3
Evade Window +2
(Coating) Functionality
Resuscitate

Other notes: Normal Shots seems to be poo poo? Elementless is a nice boost for Diablos bow, though (keep the element locked.) Apparently, that Legiana set bonus is out there in the form of a gem. If I were to get that, I'd probably sacrifice any given slot to use it. Also, I still to this day don't know if Evade Window has any effect on the bow-specific charge dodge. I probably don't even need it, and would eliminate it in favor of something else if I could. I probably can, just lazy. Wait, I totally can... I don't need Kushala gloves for anything else! Dunno why I'm even wearing those, poo poo. Probably because there's not a whole lot of better options for bow gloves, besides Nergigante (would give me the set bonus -- probably good.) Otherwise, Dober Greaves are the first to go once I get another Attack gem, if that ever happens.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 20, 2018

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly all the elder dragon ain't too bad as long as you know how to approach them, for nergi you mostly need to learn his tells and how to abuse your iframes, for kushala you need to learn to keep as many flash pods and bugs as possible on you, teo is mostly just learning to get in real close, which unfortunately means that ranged weapons are hosed, and vaal is basically just having maxed out effluvia resist and he goes from "weak elder dragon with a bullshit gimmick that can ohko you if the effulvia procs before a hit" to "bullied goth dragon".

Even kirin is managable when you have the right stuff setup, for me this was 3 thunder res gems and the anti shock mantle, but even with that kirin is still a right pain in the rear end. The problem of course is putting most of these into action, not to mention I have no idea if there are other weapon specific problems, like if I understand right, vaal is a pain for hammers because of his head, right?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My current armor set is sacrificing damage for survivability.

Eyepatch, Nerd Chest beta, kadachi gloves beta, bagel skirt beta, and kushala pants beta. Earplugs 3 charm. I'm using a mix of decorations that help IG flying as well as stun resistance.

It primarily gives Earplugs 5 and Evade Extender 3, and Stun Resist 2 from decorations (presently - will be 3 when I get another decoration for it) which I find really useful for not getting whacked so much. Evade Extender 3 in particular appears to be my key to not getting so mad about Diablos - I'd only ever hit 2 before and it wasn't quite enough.

I'm thinking of changing out my chestpiece - it's a holdover from when I really cared about the Nerd set bonus (I do miss it!) but I'm not sure which one I would want that doesn't just look absolutely terrible. Fashion needs to remain a consideration, after all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I won't even consider a set unless I can get earplugs 5 on it

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Do you even charge bro?

Axe mode isn't just for your ultimate attack. Soon even you can do this to a tempered elder dragon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomBombadilKnow/status/965716309181804544/

You're not using phials - which aren't only for blowing on a single SAED - so that's a lot of axe damage you're ignoring in that video by using the basic T > T loop.

Use the O > O > T loop to spend phials in axe mode, where the two O attacks are EDs (element discharges) that do extra phial damage and the T cancels out of the ED sequence so you don't blow all the phials on the SAED you'll get with a third O. You can still do a SAED when you're down to one phial or the monster is moving away or you want to see the pretty lights by doing the full O > O > O sequence at any point.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there anything I can do to avoid the poison in Rotten Vale? I spent about 20 potions just healing through the Great Girros fight.

In addition to what's been said: kill the Hornetaurs, those annoying black beetles, and make their chest armor. It too has the Effluvium Expert skill that lets you ignore the gas.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Andrast posted:

I won't even consider a set unless I can get earplugs 5 on it

Now that I'm finally making a longsword set I'm free of the earplug menace. It's like the training weights have come off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is lance as ridiculously good at status as it looks? It's not exactly a slow weapon but the Pukei-Pukei lance has loving 540 poison on it :eyepop:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lance has always been a great status weapon because you are constantly poking. DB is probably the only weapon that consistently hits more than lance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

enojy posted:

He's generally safer at melee than he is at range. If you plan on sticking with LBG, be ready for him to charge you at a moment's notice, really quickly (e.g. Kushala Daora, Kirin.) His various charges and swipes will stagger you for combo potential. His hardest hitting attacks are fire-based, so consider lots of Fire resistance (this becomes borderline pointless in Tempered, don't even bother! Unless you're in the negatives, then probably don't even do the fight until you're at least positive.)

Otherwise, the biggest things to look out for as ranged is his fire spit that he does in about a 60-degree cone in front of him, back and forth. I believe it'll always start on your left if you're facing him. It has a long range, probably at a lot of your shots' critical range. If you're gonna be in front of him, stick to the right so you've got a moment to react. He gives you about a second's notice that he's gonna do it. You can roll underneath the flames unless the geography just happens to have it aiming down at you. If it does hit you and knocks you down, just stay down until he's done.

Best spot to be is on the sides of his head, just outside of melee range. If playing with others, don't run all over the place and try to maximize your distance, because he's just gonna run and hop around everywhere and generally be a pain in the rear end for everyone. He rarely "moves" so much as "charges into anything in his path and knocks people down for wombo combos."

The signature move is his supernova bomb thing. This is super obvious; if he hunkers down and then hops up to float in place, he's gonna do it. You've got about 3 seconds to put your weapon away and either flash bomb him out of the sky (preferred) or run the hell away. I believe you can superman dive it, and various special dodges work (Long Sword's counter dodge, Bow dodge, etc.) He'll sometimes rarely start this move by flying way up and carpet bombing the whole area; definitely flash bomb him before he can do this. Any time he leaves the ground, just be ready to sheath and flash bomb.

Thanks! I'll switch back to ls, hug the butt and be ready to run or flash.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xarbala posted:

You might want to consider looking into a specific armor build now that you're in Elder Dragon territory. As a plus, the tier2 HR Monsters (the raths, uragaan, doggo, bagel) give armor that's actually pretty decent defense-wise, and certainly better than Zorah gear even if some are the same Rarity.

Rathalos Chest + Boots are a quick way to get max Weakness Exploit which is good for both ranged and melee (though more definitely the former), especially if you got lucky and have a Rathalos Ruby or at least a Gold Ticket. The Rathalos set bonus also applies your critical damage bonus to elemental attacks (which normally don't get the crit bonus), which again is really good for ranged characters and still strong with certain melee weapon users.

Bazel armor is a good Earplugs set and being able to just no-sell a roar and keep hitting is a huge boost to DPS, and the chestpiece comes with Guard if you use a weapon with a shield.

Speaking of Guard, Uragaan armor is even better for shieldy types and the ura set bonus lets you block Unblockable attacks.

Odogaron armor is probably the most popular for straight-up melee DPS builds, with decent crit and a sharpness preserving set bonus, which when paired with Handicraft can push a melee weapon into white sharpness for a big damage boost and keep it there longer.

Thanks, earplugs set sounds good but melee DPS is my poo poo

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks, earplugs set sounds good but melee DPS is my poo poo

Keep in mind that earplugs are basically free DPS. The monster is immobile for several seconds, depending on which one is roaring, and if you're not flinching during that time you get free damage. Same with tremor resistance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So weird one, us it possible to get anywhere near lance protection using SnS? Ugaraan set and 5 Guard...

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

poptart_fairy posted:

So weird one, us it possible to get anywhere near lance protection using SnS? Ugaraan set and 5 Guard...

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP0fdE1Ng6s

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love those Mega Man boots. I’ll have to give SnS a proper try someday, only time I’ve used it is as a gimmicky support mushroomancer / paralyzing build.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

big nipples big life posted:

Lance has always been a great status weapon because you are constantly poking. DB is probably the only weapon that consistently hits more than lance.

I love the lance cause I'm a giant pussy that hides behind a shield all the time and only wants to stick my head out to poke up at some monster's junk. Also I'm bad a dodging.

When I'm feeling brave I'll get out the hammer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mounting is so janky

Mounted vaal as the first thing in a fight, like while he's just neutral wandering around, and the mount suddenly stops right when I'm about to get the finisher. Single player and I know the cats didn't interfere that quickly.

Mounted him for the first time in two separate hunts and it took wildly different amounts of time, with one time taking around 15 seconds longer even though he just sat there doing nothing, and then ended right before the finisher again. I feel like I only get the finisher half the time and that's not a trivial loss of damage with the switch axe, whose finisher does a ton of damage in its own right and also jumps you straight to its souped-up form to take advantage of it when the monster is down

Then you randomly get a double finisher sometimes for reasons unclear

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 20, 2018

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mounting seems fine

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like fighting Kirin--I think he's my favorite elder dragon. He's so unlike every other monster in the game.

Plus, he's basically an MMO boss, and I have tons of experience wasting too much time fighting those, so dodging floor telegraphs is no problem at all.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Norns posted:

Mounting seems fine

Yeah, there's times I don't get the finisher but the monster still always goes down unless I do something stupid.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Monsters can fall over during mounts without finishers, their separate 'ouch you knocked me the gently caress out' stun meter is still active during it and in rare cases your 1-1-1-1-1 attacks will hit the stun threshold and knock them over. It's a lot more common with insect glaive users, as their mount movement causes a ton of damage.

I'm not sure how double finishers happen, I've had it happen to me many times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I've been meaning to ask and for some reason never got around to even though I'm in postgame now: does it mean anything when you get dropped by your wingdrake before you reach the camp when you start a quest? At first I assumed it meant Bazelgeuse was around but that's definitely not it. Is it just some random meaningless thing that happens in high rank for some reason?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harrow posted:

Something I've been meaning to ask and for some reason never got around to even though I'm in postgame now: does it mean anything when you get dropped by your wingdrake before you reach the camp when you start a quest? At first I assumed it meant Bazelgeuse was around but that's definitely not it. Is it just some random meaningless thing that happens in high rank for some reason?
Yeah it's been in the series for awhile when you hit HR.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It used to be more of a pain if you forgot to eat. Before fast travel that is.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So just for people's reference:

In order to know what the value of the Uragaan 'Guard Up' set bonus is, I feel like you have to know what constitutes an 'unblockable' attack.

A few basic guidelines:
- Almost all Elder Dragons have at least one unblockable attack. The exceptions to this rule are Nergigante and maybe Kushala Daora. Not 100% about Kushala though, because I may not have seen it.
- Teostra's unblockable is his Supernova.
- Vaal Hazak's unblockable is his Breath of Death
- A ton of poo poo that Xeno does is unblockable, in a sense. His laser breath is 100% unblockable, and a lot of his AOE ground pounds are unblockable simply because they can hit behind you too.
- Very, very loud roars can be without Earplugs 5.

So the set bonus has a lot of utility against Elder Dragons, but you can also find a lot of utility for it when hunting regular mons since Guarding will block some roars, but I think Guard Up will allow you to block all of them even without earplugs.

I also wanted to try the HBG shotgunner build. Some notes:
- I'm using the Gnashing Flammenkannon (Anja) HBG.
- I'm currently rolling 1 Shield, 2 Close-Up bonus
- I specced to have Guard 5
- I actually want to change to 1 Shield, 1 Close-Up, and 1 Recoil. You can deal a fuckton of damage with Spread 3 up close (somewhere around 80-100 damage a burst with Weakness Exploit 2 on one of Xeno's claws), but the massive recoil leaves you vulnerable (aka, unshielded) for a counter-hit.
- You can use Spread 2 pretty safely though
- No recoil reduction makes your Wyvernheart difficult to control, so you always want to be up-close.
- Guard 5 doesn't seem to reduce a lot of block flinch from a big attack. I can use Guard 2/3 with a Gunlance and suffer minimal impact from a blockable Xeno ball, but with Shield 1 and Guard 5 on the HBG I still stagger and get knocked back. Probably need a better shield rather than a higher level in Guard.
- Weakness exploit is great for negating the affinity penalty when you hit weak spots, because Max Anja HBG has 300 attack which is very high but has -20% affinity.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Didn't someone come up with a gunlance guide? Didn't get a chance to play much yesterday but went ahead and made that suggested Rathian one. It's pretty cool but I'm pretty sure there should be more to it then me doing a lunging stab, full triangle combo into the circle chain. Reload and repeat :v:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man, High Rank really notches poo poo up...

I swapped my armor out for the Bone Alpha set and I'm on the first Diablos bow (working on getting the parts to upgrade it to the second version) and I just got the Anjunath quest and he is whooping my rear end. Regular hits aren't the worst but he tosses me around then flames me before I can move and it murders me instantly.

I know I need to be more patient, as it seems they're using Anju as the intro to more aggressive attack patterns (Pukei wasn't much harder than normal mode, neither was the water guy) but man the gap seems even higher than the gap was for Anju the first time around.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Harrow posted:

I really like fighting Kirin--I think he's my favorite elder dragon. He's so unlike every other monster in the game.

Plus, he's basically an MMO boss, and I have tons of experience wasting too much time fighting those, so dodging floor telegraphs is no problem at all.

100% in the same boat.

I'm a newbie to the series, and while I'm having fun I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed in the depth of the fights. All my friends were talking about "learning the fights", and how "every monster is a boss" so I was picturing like MMO Raid bosses. But every fight is kind of "Just know when to Evade". I mean, I know you can dilute any game to the simplest mechanic and in practice it's not really that simple. I was just expecting fights to be more... complicated.

Zapidash Kirin's my most favorite, as well.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think pretty much everyone I've heard talk about it agrees World is the easiest game in the series by a fair margin.

Whether that's because the game is easier to work with due to better controls or they wanted to make it extra accessible since they were casting a wide net ... probably a little of both.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Does this game tell you who or what the First Wyverians are, because I just reached the point where the handler is going "oh hey let's talk to those guys" and everyone is nodding along like they know exactly who she's talking about and I'm out here going "literally who"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Twin Beetles weren't as bad as I thought. Didn't think of putting them against each other, so that ks for that tip. :haw:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sab669 posted:

100% in the same boat.

I'm a newbie to the series, and while I'm having fun I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed in the depth of the fights. All my friends were talking about "learning the fights", and how "every monster is a boss" so I was picturing like MMO Raid bosses. But every fight is kind of "Just know when to Evade". I mean, I know you can dilute any game to the simplest mechanic and in practice it's not really that simple. I was just expecting fights to be more... complicated.

What are you looking for in combat? Most of the monsters are better than any boss I've fought in other games. Including many many mmo raid bosses.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Looking for a little direction here. I'm maining Switch Axe, and just finished the Nergigante fight in Elder Recess. Two things: One, how much farther until true "end game" where everything is open and unlocked? Two, what armor should I be going for now?

I'm currently wearing:

Dragonking Eyepatch A
Odog Chest B
Kadachi Gloves A
Lumu waist A
Odog pants A
Critical Eye Charm
Beetlejuice Switch Axe

I'm gemmed for Attack +1, Earplugs+1, and Botany+1 (botany is there because I don't have any other useful decorations yet)

This gives me a smattering of evade extend+2, divine blessing+2, critical eye+3, speed sharpening+2, and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head. It seems like there is something better that I should go for, but am at a loss for what exactly a switch axe user needs. I've read that evade extend is critical, but I can't really figure out why it is so important to switch axe and not everyone.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Didn't someone come up with a gunlance guide? Didn't get a chance to play much yesterday but went ahead and made that suggested Rathian one. It's pretty cool but I'm pretty sure there should be more to it then me doing a lunging stab, full triangle combo into the circle chain. Reload and repeat :v:

That seems to be it, more or less. There's two styles so far:
- Rathian GL, go for slam then full burst.
- Zorah GL, go for poke/shell then charged shell.

Wyvern Fire suffers from being attached to Wide Gunlances, which lack level 4 ammo.

I'm currently doing the Zorah GL which is kinda hilarious because it requires almost no decorations to function. Max out Artillery (charm) and Focus and you are good to go. If you can get Capacity in then it's even better. Charged Shells do 100+ damage, ignore armor, have solid range and you can pump them out pretty fast. You can slot in decorations for quality of life as much as you want because shells don't crit or benefit from attack up.

As a bonus the Zorah GL is the height of fashion.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I have all of the non-tempered elder dragons on farm at this point. It felt really good getting sub-10 minute nergigante clears when I was farming him for gems last night when the last time I was farming him I was struggling to meet the 15 minute time limit of the investigation I was using

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sab669 posted:

100% in the same boat.

If you were expecting MMO-ish fights with various mechanics, you'll never see that except in those stupid scripted giant fights like Zorah Magdaros, Lao Shan Lung, etc. And those kinda suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is flashfly cage good? context: Is flashfly cage better than PLUNDERBLADE