Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
After giving it some thought, I think Tank Girl is the gritty reboot of Barbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ahahaha she has the murder axe :allears:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

CommissarMega posted:

Ahahaha she has the murder axe :allears:

kens going to be on the receiving end of some domestic abuse

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is Barbie going to alternate between being a shaken emotionally vulnerable shrinking violet in cutscenes and a relentless killing machine in gameplay? Will she also be subjected to the oddly gruesome death scenes that the new games have a fetish for?
Barbie's Island Adventure spinoff.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Hey now, at some point she also becomes a relentless killing machine in cutscenes.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Anyone else think the face looks like Milana Vayntrub?

Anyway, I had a dream that reminded me of a Goosebumps book that, if not terrible, was at least terribly weird. The premise was that all the kids in this small town were disappearing, and at the end the protagonist learned that he and all the other kids were dogs that had been turned into humans by mad science so that childless couples could have babies, except now it was wearing off. So at the end, the kid is a dog again, and happy about it because being a dog pretty much owns, and his "parents" bring home a baby from the hospital that has eyes just like their old cat.

Like I said, weird.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Anyone else think the face looks like Milana Vayntrub?

Anyway, I had a dream that reminded me of a Goosebumps book that, if not terrible, was at least terribly weird. The premise was that all the kids in this small town were disappearing, and at the end the protagonist learned that he and all the other kids were dogs that had been turned into humans by mad science so that childless couples could have babies, except now it was wearing off. So at the end, the kid is a dog again, and happy about it because being a dog pretty much owns, and his "parents" bring home a baby from the hospital that has eyes just like their old cat.

Like I said, weird.

I remember that book. It was hosed up. I also remember the beginning implied that the weirdness was due to the kids using expired self-tanner?

Why would you want a cat baby anyway. Everybody knows cats don't feel love. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite thing about Goosebumps books (which was commonplace in all the rip-offs, really, up to and including Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear) was when a chapter would end with a character hearing, seeing or suffering something gruesome, then start the next one by bluntly stating it was something innocuous. e.g. "I stepped into the old abandoned house and heard a blood-curdling scream. <CHAPTER BREAK> But it was only a cat or something."

The best one was one where a guy has his mind swapped with that of a bumblebee as part of a parody of The Fly, where one chapter ends with him narrating, "But before I could do anything, a dragonfly appeared as if from nowhere and bit me in two!" then the next one starts, "Wow, that was a weird daydream. I'd better be careful of dragonflies!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the goosebumps books were nearly all ghostwritten and looking back it's really funny how little of a poo poo everyone involved in their production gave about anything

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Oxxidation posted:

the goosebumps books were nearly all ghostwritten and looking back it's really funny how little of a poo poo everyone involved in their production gave about anything

If I remember right, they had some cool covers, though. The Vampire Breath one, in particular, spooked me as a kid.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My favourite was the one where the family goes on to vacation to a Monster Theme Park and everyone who works there is an Actual Monster. Like there's just a whole community of monsters who get joy out of working at a theme park for humans. I also really liked the one where the two kids were at the one kid's dad's theme park testing out his scary rides that were just impossibly real and oh god they're going to die! And then it turned out the kids were robots built to test how scary the ride was, because building incredibly realistic android kids is definitely more cost-effective and sensible than finding actual children to test your new attractions.

I vaguely recall one with a girl who had some thing that gave her wishes, and all the wishes went terribly of course. In the end she gave the wish-thing, whatever it was, to her worst enemy/bully. And I remember in the TV show adaption, the vain bully wished to be beautiful forever or something and turned into a statue. In the book, though, the bully immediately wished to get rid of the protagonist by turning her into a bird. That's cold, and also a way better and more straightforward wish than anything the protagonist had made, and even as a kid I was pretty sure that the reason all her wishes had gone wrong was because she was a loving idiot.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Was there one where some kids accidentally ended up at a summer camp where the counselors worshipped a sentient blob of jelly or did I dream that one

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had one of the CYOA Goosebumps books that took place at a deadly amusement park. Almost every choice you made would end in death or eternal torment, from being O-Ren Ishi'd by animatronic dwarves on a mine coaster to being turned into an animatronic astronaut on the space coaster to picking the wrong slide and sliding forever. It also had cameos by stuff like Monster Blood and Slappy.

At the same time I had an Outer Limits book that was about a group of 4 preteens who all woke up to find that they were the only humans left on Earth, but with alien invaders in space suits taking samples around them. The twist is that they were all kids who had godlike reality-warping powers and were actually in a mindscape they instinctually created on an uninhabited moon when they were sedated and woke up, and the male and female lead decided to create Eden and live on the moon forever instead of being mind wiped and returned to Earth through the wormhole the scientists were using.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Feb 19, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

They had a formula and they were sticking to it. I guess the assumption was that kids would only read a couple before moving on and they didn't expect someone to sit down and read through the entire series.

One twist ending I remember being egregiously bad was the one where the kid becomes best friends with an invisible alien but the twist ending was that the "alien" was human and the kid was an alien!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

But humans aren't invisible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I'm pretty sure they weren't ghostwritten, you can just churn out a ton of books when you never have to revise or have your 'plot' make 'sense'.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

girl pants posted:

Was there one where some kids accidentally ended up at a summer camp where the counselors worshipped a sentient blob of jelly or did I dream that one

There were like eight of those, including at least one of the CYOAs.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I'm pretty sure they weren't ghostwritten, you can just churn out a ton of books when you never have to revise or have your 'plot' make 'sense'.

Um if they weren't ghostwritten how come they were so spooky?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Maybe they were homeless.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tunicate posted:

A lot of them were. But R. L. Stine is a very nice guy and by all accounts pleasant to work with, which is not at all the norm in work-for-hire situations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

A lot of them were. But R. L. Stine is a very nice guy and by all accounts pleasant to work with, which is not at all the norm in work-for-hire situations.

IIRC the main goosebumps series was all by him, and he wrote each book in about a week.

The millions of spinoffs were often ghostwritten.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My favorite Goosebumps book as a kid was the one where the girl discovers her local creepy librarian is in fact a monster, a freaky gross one at that, and nobody believes her. Then at the end, Her parents invite the guy over for dinner, then reveal themselves to be a family of vampires that eat the monster!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I forget what book it was, but it was some young horrory thing I think, where there was a genuinely disturbing scene of like, the protagonist's family all sitting at the dinner table eating moldy chicken bones, and they were all skeletons, or something.

It might have been something with an Edward Gorey cover, or maybe I'm just remembering that because that aesthetic basically embodies tween horror books for me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember I had some books as a kid that I won in a competition (pretty much a prize draw in retrospect) that had horror themes, one set was for ages 4-8, the other was ~10-14. I've forgotten what the books were but I recall one was about a ghostly schoolteacher stuck in her ways who was eventually defeated by getting her addicted to learning software (I think the idea was extreme culture shock combined with severe overstimulation).

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Did Stine do a bunch of young adult horror books as well? I remember the covers looking like Goosebumps but the two I read at my cousins were just about teenagers loving stabbing the poo poo out of each other and both of them had a lot of dead animals too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Maybe "Fear Street"? I believe he started writing that series of books before Goosebumps even, and they're aimed more at the teen market.

Though after Goosebumps he's also done "The Nightmare Room" which is kinda in-between the two audiences, more like the tween and early teen market.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kuiperdolin posted:

Maybe the aliens saw a different spectrum of radiation? I guess?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Still a more realistic body shape than some of the old games.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tunicate posted:

IIRC the main goosebumps series was all by him, and he wrote each book in about a week.

The millions of spinoffs were often ghostwritten.

I was thinking of all the books with Goosebumps in their name as part of Goosebumps. Stine is certainly prolific personally, but he's also a brand.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

In the Goosebumps universe, anything is possible.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There was a goosebumps titled the ghost next door and it was about how this girl has these new neighbors who moved in overnight and they're spoOoOoOoky ghosts and then the first chapter starts with the girl dreaming her house was burning down and yeah ok the twist is obviously that she's the ghost so I don't need to read this book now

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Choco1980 posted:

Maybe "Fear Street"? I believe he started writing that series of books before Goosebumps even, and they're aimed more at the teen market.

Though after Goosebumps he's also done "The Nightmare Room" which is kinda in-between the two audiences, more like the tween and early teen market.

Yeah, Fear Street was the teen/YA series that he did. I recall that they were actually pretty good, I had a big collection of them. The author's notes in one book R.L. Stine admitted that he originally gave everyone a name starting with the letter M and his editor had to find+replace all of them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

For all their goofiness, there were some great nuggets of horror in Goosebumps. Especially when it wasn't trying to do elaborate stories, and just gave you "evil [noun]"

Evil cuckoo clock. Evil polaroid camera. Evil silly putty. Evil typewriter. Evil ventriloquist dummy. Evil...kitchen sponge.

20 years later, I'm still mildly annoyed that Monster Blood IV didn't actually contain any loving Monster Blood. It wasn't even green!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Djeser posted:

I forget what book it was, but it was some young horrory thing I think, where there was a genuinely disturbing scene of like, the protagonist's family all sitting at the dinner table eating moldy chicken bones, and they were all skeletons, or something.

It might have been something with an Edward Gorey cover, or maybe I'm just remembering that because that aesthetic basically embodies tween horror books for me.

Probably John Bellairs, he did a lot of (good) young-adult horror books with Gorey covers:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For all their goofiness, there were some great nuggets of horror in Goosebumps. Especially when it wasn't trying to do elaborate stories, and just gave you "evil [noun]"

Evil cuckoo clock. Evil polaroid camera. Evil silly putty. Evil typewriter. Evil ventriloquist dummy. Evil...kitchen sponge.

20 years later, I'm still mildly annoyed that Monster Blood IV didn't actually contain any loving Monster Blood. It wasn't even green!

You just gave me flashbacks to the first Goosebumps book I ever read. God drat i forgot that I once literally read a book about an evil sponge.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For all their goofiness, there were some great nuggets of horror in Goosebumps.

The one I remember probably wasn't even intentional; it's from one of the books in the "Goosebumps 2000" line from the late 90s, in which the main character is a mischievous kid who plays a prank on a mean old man on Halloween and escapes by jumping a ravine. On the other side, he finds a part of town he's never been to and quickly realises it's full of ghosts and monsters and tries to escape. He goes back to the ravine and sees a dead body at the bottom, and realises that he died trying to jump it at the start of the book. And he's thrilled! Because now he's a ghost and he gets to go and haunt his (presumably grieving) family.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Wait wait wait... What the gently caress is Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Penpal posted:

Wait wait wait... What the gently caress is Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear???

Goosebumps for Star Wars. A force sensitive kid and her brother go on adventures and get attacked by creepy crawlies at every single planet they stop at.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gravid Topiary posted:

Probably John Bellairs, he did a lot of (good) young-adult horror books with Gorey covers:

I read all those books as a kid and loved them so much. I should see if i can dig them all up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arcsquad12 posted:

Goosebumps for Star Wars. A force sensitive kid and her brother go on adventures and get attacked by creepy crawlies at every single planet they stop at.

I read them all. No idea if they were any good. I remember a haunted theme park and a planet that eats people.