Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

AnoHito posted:

I am of the controversial opinion that a grown adult can consensually gently caress another grown adult if they please.

A 19 year old is still growing. Their brain won't be done cooking for a handful of years. The part that's not done yet helps them make choices and understand the consequences of their actions, making them pretty vulnerable still to people who would take advantage of them. 19 is a legal adult, but not really a full grown adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Huntersoninski posted:

A 19 year old is still growing. Their brain won't be done cooking for a handful of years.

The sheer volume of dumbshit submissions to this subreddit cannot be overstated as evidence proving this beyond all doubt.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

AnoHito posted:

I am of the controversial opinion that a grown adult can consensually gently caress another grown adult if they please.

E: though to clarify, this guy was definitely being a piece of poo poo in just so many ways.
Adults can take advantage of other adults. It happens all the time.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Huntersoninski posted:

A 19 year old is still growing. Their brain won't be done cooking for a handful of years. The part that's not done yet helps them make choices and understand the consequences of their actions, making them pretty vulnerable still to people who would take advantage of them. 19 is a legal adult, but not really a full grown adult.

It's one of those "you can do this but you really shouldn't" things.

Any 30-something year old who does anything to an 18 or 19 year old knows drat well why what they're doing isn't exactly encouraged.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AnoHito posted:

Madness. Clearly every man who sleeps with a girl more than a year younger than he is somehow taking advantage of her and is a pedophile.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

I had a bit of an epiphany. If UBI is ever instituted, a whole lot of manchildren are going to fall down the rabbit hole and never return.

They won't be in the dating pool.
They won't be "doing" jobs.
They won't be dragging elderly relatives down.
They won't bother to vote.

I got probated for saying this once so watch out!!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Chaosfirev posted:

It's one of those "you can do this but you really shouldn't" things.

Any 30-something year old who does anything to an 18 or 19 year old knows drat well why what they're doing isn't exactly encouraged.

Exactly this. It's legal, it's even encouraged by the culture that idolizes Barely Legal Women as the sexiest, but it's hosed up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I do really have to wonder about the men who are, say, 40, and I’ve traded in there 40-year-old wife for a 19-year-old. 19-year-olds are fine for what they are, but they’re not really… You know, competent or helpful. And they’re so goddamn hormonal.It sounds exhausting and awful.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Typically if youre in the market at 40 to actually leave your partner and get some 19 year old girl to be your new thing without it imploding your life youve already got a maid who you also bang.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree, but it’s the imploding your life part I find interesting. I wonder if they realize it is still likely that she will leave when she realizes what she’s done. Or you were just a stepping stone, obligatory Wendi Deng reference

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
by the time she leaves she won't be 19 anymore so he won't want her anyway and will seek out a new 19 year old

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

InediblePenguin posted:

by the time she leaves she won't be 19 anymore so he won't want her anyway and will seek out a new 19 year old

By the time they're 95, they're content with a 30, obligatory Sumner Redstone reference.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
speaking of, wow he is still alive

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pick posted:

By the time they're 95, they're content with a 30, obligatory Sumner Redstone reference.

20-30 years younger seems to be the sweet spot for gross dudes in western countries. You rarely see a 50+ year old going for college students, they tend to be happiest with 30-40 year old partners. At least when they want some pretense of this woman being their life partner. In cultures where you're expected to have young lovers in addition to your main wife, they do tend to go younger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It really depends on the guy. There are a ton of older mistresses who are very successful who are matched with older guys. It really depends on the circles someone runs in and what the guy feels he is lacking. An older mistress is the woman who is "like a wife, but still fun". The barely-legal is basically just a sex doll. As people become more antisocial and assholish you see more pressure to the latter which I think is a shame, because at least the former rides on a man enjoying making a woman seem to be happy.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pick posted:

It really depends on the guy. There are a ton of older mistresses who are very successful who are matched with older guys. It really depends on the circles someone runs in and what the guy feels he is lacking. An older mistress is the woman who is "like a wife, but still fun". The barely-legal is basically just a sex doll. As people become more antisocial and assholish you see more pressure to the latter which I think is a shame, because at least the former rides on a man enjoying making a woman seem to be happy.

This really removes any autonomy from younger women. They have agency over their choices to make bad decisions the same way gross old men who date women who are subjectively too young. You're projecting your values on them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Oscar Wild posted:

This really removes any autonomy from younger women. They have agency over their choices to make bad decisions the same way gross old men who date women who are subjectively too young. You're projecting your values on them.

Yes I am, I think if they're going after a guy twice their age expecting to be loved and respected, they're dumb as bricks.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pick posted:

Yes I am, I think if they're going after a guy twice their age expecting to be loved and respected, they're dumb as bricks.

But the women deserve the right to make that decision. Besides, deriving self worth from the love and respect of others is foolish. It will lead to disappointment as often as it leads to fulfillment. Loving oneself is the path toward enlightenment.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
it seems like there's at least some contingent of 18-20 year old girls that are well aware that 30+ dudes, however manchildlike, hitting on them is creepy and they'll be the first to call it out, or at least talk about it amongst themselves and all agree that yeah, the 33-year-old driver trying really hard to be "friends" with the 18-year-old cashiers is kind of a creep. they know if it gets to a point that actually makes them uncomfortable they can make it an issue. from the sound of it, dudes being lovely isn't anything new for any of them. idk if the ~8 cashiers between 18 and 25 at work are representative of young women as a whole but they seem to be pretty good at standing up for themselves. it helps when they know people will back them up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Oscar Wild posted:

But the women deserve the right to make that decision. Besides, deriving self worth from the love and respect of others is foolish. It will lead to disappointment as often as it leads to fulfillment. Loving oneself is the path toward enlightenment.

They're dumb and their decision will make them miserable.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Oscar Wild posted:

Enlightenment is a lie. The only truth is death! Ia! Ia!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The young women who are mature enough to be in an actual relationship with an older guy are also ambitious enough to intimidate the hell out them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say that older men at least might actually have steady employment and financial security nowadays, but we get plenty of posts with women who've gone after the hopeless dedicated manchildren, so who the hell knows. Maybe older man don't seem as dumb as young men are, and they only realise later it's just a different kind of idiocy?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A lot of western society frowns on big age gaps in relationships, cf. this thread generally, and I think that exerts a pressure to moderate/conform. It's when you see old white dudes in like SE Asia that you really see some depressing poo poo.

My [17F] brother [13M] has been doing martial arts for years. The kid he was sparing made a sexual comment about me. So my brother split the kids forehead open and my mother wants me to handle it

quote:

A little back story, I tend to get a lot of attention from men. I am a model and I am aiming to make it my career once I graduate from high school. My brother has been doing various martial arts from a young age. He is well versed in Muay Thai, boxing and Judo. He has just started doing MMA.

This past Sunday,my school was hosting an early Halloween dance for Juniors and Seniors. I was attending the dance, and my brother had a competition of his. As the story goes, his opponent was talking alot of poo poo. This kid knew me somehow and made some sort of sexual comment about me. Sometime during their match, my brother mounted the kid and rained down two elbows on him.

He split the kids forehead open. My mother wants me to talk to him because I am the source of why he did what he did. I don't fully agree, but I need to know what to say to him. I love my little brother, and I don't want him running around splitting peoples heads open.

tl;dr: What do I say to my brother?

child brother Frank Castle, so what
My married professor [60M] confessed to being in love with me [20F] and it's taking over my life.

quote:

My advisor was a really close friend, and we'd always have great talks in his office after class. He is also my thesis advisor. I trusted him and thought he believed in me as a student.

I transferred to this college very late and haven't had a chance to build relationships with other professors. I've taken 5 classes with him in the past year and he has promised to write me recommendations that will get me into grad school (he has insane connections).

Recently, he took me out to lunch and told me that he was in love with me and that he wanted to take our relationship "to the next level." I panicked. I didn't brutally reject him because I had this vision of him giving me bad grades and recommendations if he were hurt. I just said that nothing would come of it so it was a pointless discussion.

For the rest of the semester, he kept calling me into his office and having loving breakdowns about how someone is going to find out about this and he'll lose his job and his wife will leave him and he shouldn't have told me at all. He deleted all of our emails but saved them on a secret flash drive so he can look at them.

Meanwhile, he is asking me to call him all the time (which I refuse), getting upset if I don't respond to his emails within a few hours, and generally harassing me.

If I report him to my university, his life will be destroyed and I will have no chance at grad school because his recommendations will be worthless if they even exist anymore.

More importantly, I am having panic attacks daily. I can't work on my thesis because every time I even think about it, I feel like I'm going to vomit. I can't see myself graduating next semester because it will mean spending hours in his office and having him look at me, thinking disgusting thoughts about me. In my darkest moments, I have considered killing myself just so I won't have to disappoint my family by dropping out.

I have only vague proof of this in emails because he's been careful to cover his tracks (considering how paranoid he is). Part of me also feels I am being ridiculously dramatic. Nothing physical has happened, but I can't help how it affects me.

tl;dr: I'm depending on my advisor in order to graduate and apply to PhD programs but he's in love with me and the thought of that makes me sick.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
Saying a teenager dating a 30 year old is a bad idea is not removing anybody's sexual agency, it's just saying it's a bad idea. I can fully understand and respect that dating a guy your dad's age is your own choice to make while still thinking it's bad and dumb

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Marrying a younger person is just a way to try to escape growing up a few more years, but whatever put you in the doghouse before will put you in the doghouse again when she grows up, so you have a sweet spot of a few years at best before the one thing about your life that didn't implode, implodes. The alternative is even worse: she never grows up, and you either have to double-much grow up, or you two end up looking like the desert after Burning Man while you try to tag-team shoplift a bag of grapes.

This may shock you, but HIMYM lied to you. There isn't a "perfect person" out there who 100% loves all your crap.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
According to HIMYM the perfect person for you dies and then you end up married to a bitchy Canadian

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

girl pants posted:

According to HIMYM the perfect person for you dies and then you end up married to a bitchy Canadian

No no the random person wasn't perfect for him because he pined for a bitchy Canadian the entire time. obviously. she was just an unseen baby vessel, as it every woman who is not... the one

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
My women friends who have dated older men usually go through the whole thing like any other relationship. In my opinion, they seem to be more transactional relationships than ones where they the couple are closer in age. I don't see too much wrong with it. People must have the freedom to make choices.

"Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other."
Benjamin Franklin 

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No one's arguing about freedom just about what constitutes being a dipshit. It's also no crime to pour oatmeal down your pants during a job interview and no one's saying it's a good idea.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Pick posted:

No one's arguing about freedom just about what constitutes being a dipshit. It's also no crime to pour oatmeal down your pants during a job interview and no one's saying it's a good idea.

Quaker Oats Upper Management: Hey kid, you've got moxie. You're hired!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It also depends a bit on what the age gap is, like 25 to 35+ is something this thread would usually frown on (particularly cause the older dude is always a giant manchild) but I've seen it happen a couple times irl and the older dude was just an in shape good looking guy with his poo poo together and was ostensibly only still single because his active career had made it difficult to settle down.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

They're dumb and their decision will make them miserable.

But they have an old soul

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jeza posted:

Quaker Oats Upper Management: Hey kid, you've got moxie. You're hired!

Not so fast. I have a competing job offer from Moxie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

It also depends a bit on what the age gap is, like 25 to 35+ is something this thread would usually frown on (particularly cause the older dude is always a giant manchild) but I've seen it happen a couple times irl and the older dude was just an in shape good looking guy with his poo poo together and was ostensibly only still single because his active career had made it difficult to settle down.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I'm dating an older women actually, makes more sense that way as our life expediencies sync up better. Gotta play for the long game.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Jeza posted:

A lot of western society frowns on big age gaps in relationships, cf. this thread generally, and I think that exerts a pressure to moderate/conform. It's when you see old white dudes in like SE Asia that you really see some depressing poo poo.

My [17F] brother [13M] has been doing martial arts for years. The kid he was sparing made a sexual comment about me. So my brother split the kids forehead open and my mother wants me to handle it
"Good job bro, but next time do it so they don't bleed all over everything."

Jeza posted:

My married professor [60M] confessed to being in love with me [20F] and it's taking over my life.

Destroy his life. You have decades in front of you that you have tons of opportunity in.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Jeza posted:

child brother Frank Castle, so what

Way to go, mom. Make your teenage daughter do your job as a parent and insinuate blame on her for a thirteen year old boy who wants to be inappropriately gross about how she looks. Parent of the year over here.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Jeza posted:

Talk poo poo, get hit. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Long distance ex potential boyfriend (23M) blocked me (22F) everywhere because I said that we need to communicate better. I was gonna fly actoss the ocean to visit him. Am i missing something? Is it his meth addiction kicking in?

quote:

As usual, long time lurker first time poster.

At the end of November i made a post in a animators group asking for someone to help me make an intro for a video. This one guy was very enthusiastic about it and started to ask me for more details and promised to make the intro video in few days. And so he did, it was done very nicely and i thanked him and eventually we started to chat nonstop everyday and it was great.

He lives in a different country so we just became online friends and one month into our friendship we started to have a very long phone-call conversations every night. Later we admitted we care about each other. I know, it probably sounds childish.

One day he told me that the reason he left our country to live in Japan was because he got addicted to meth and his parents put him into a rehab centre, but his friends still smuggled drugs for him so his parents sent him to study abroad. At this time i already promised him that id come to japan to visit him and got used to this whole thing so i just said to myself i shouldnt judge.

He wasnt smoking meth when we first started to talk and he seemed to be so fun, smart and considerate. But in mid december he started smoking meth again and i felt like he was becoming more distant, like his head was somewhere up in the space.

He said that he will become a better person, asked me to help him to be better, but in the beginning of february he just didnt care about anything at all. Didnt even remember that i told him im attending japanese classes. So i said that we should talk about this and communicate to understand whats happening. He was ignoring my messages so i kinda got mad and unfriended him land then i said sorry and again asked him to talk but got blocked instead.

I just feel like its so weird that he blocked me so easily after all this. For almost three months we spent most our times talking to each other. I already bought my tickets which costs couple thousand dollars, took a week off from work, but got blocked in the end. Like wtf? Is it drugs doing this to him? A person cant be so heartless like this right?

And yes, i understand the risk of long distance relationships and its all different when u meet the person irl. I decided that im young, so im gonna do whatever the heck i want, but in moderation. Hence the decision to visit this person. Lol

TLDR: Long distance ex potential boyfriend (23M) blocked me (22F) everywhere because I said that we need to communicate better. I was gonna fly to japan to visit him and it seems so weird. Am i missing something? Is it his meth addiction kicking in?

now you get to go to japan without having to deal with this guy