Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only saving grace of Anima Beyond Fantasy, and the reason I still remember it so strongly all these years later when the rules of 5e are already slipping from my mind, is that the spell list was incredbly cool and insanely broken. I have a post somewhere in Murphy's Rules describing a way to basically ascend to minor godhood without ever adventuring or putting yourself in any danger.

e: found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Subjunctive posted:

There's a heroic goon who's doing (or completed?) an F&F of a deck of encounters in the F&F thread. You might look there for inspiration.
Yeah I’ve read through some of those, and the discussion definitely helped focus what would be a cool encounter vs. random damage for me. Mining it for ideas would be a logical next step, although there’d be some rejiggering since this is all for a Fragged Empires game.

DalaranJ posted:

Snipped Cool Stuff

This is super-useful, laying it out like that (and like in Arivia’s link) is pretty much what I was hoping to find. I’m definitely going to have set pieces and defined things for most of the game, but I’d also like to have a handy little table for minor stuff so that I don’t have to wing every encounter while bushwhacking. Thanks!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I just posted Time to Kill, a new Sgt Nerd post about lethality in RPGs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't think they're really substitutes for each other.

They're not, but I don't think Haystack was implying that you could swap out the rules and get a better game. With how integrated the mechanics of SK are in the setting, you'd be rewriting a lot of stuff if you plugged it into 7th Sea's world. Having finally gotten to read over Honor + Intrigue, I'd say that'd work well as a simplified system for 7th Sea though.

senrath posted:

Yeah, from what I remember of Tippy his was less "this is how the game should be balanced" and more "if you take the rules as actually trying to represent a world here's how a handful of low level casters would make things a paradise for everyone".

Yeah if this is Tippy we're talking about, his thing was a general critique of how ridiculous a world would be where you can animate dead at a whim and have them running on treadmills to create endless power. I don't remember if he genuinely thought it'd be a good idea, or if it was meant as a thought exercise in how ridiculous and poorly-balanced 3e was, like with Pun-Pun, but it did get a bunch of weirdos who took it hyper-seriously and talked about making their own Tippy-magic settings.

The most insane guy I remember from those forums was the dude who thought the core 3e books were perfectly balanced and said the monk was an even match for a wizard. He even made his own "guide" for monks that was a dig at LogicNinja's Batman-Wizard guide. It involved using magic items to copy wizard spells and those eversmoking bottles to get the drop on one. You know, instead of 90% of the monk's class abilities or anything.

He also thought druid's were balanced because at any time you could shove a helm of opposite alignment on them to make them lose class abilities..... except since the helm only changes the good/evil side it wouldn't violate the 3e druid's alignment restriction of being some flavor of neutral.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
So what´s the effect if you put it on the head of a True Neutral druid? Isn´t that kind of already logically failing his assumption?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr.Misfit posted:

So what´s the effect if you put it on the head of a True Neutral druid? Isn´t that kind of already logically failing his assumption?

Actually, looking back at the rules, it's left to the DM's discretion to make a neutral character LE, LG, CE, or CG. The rules don't specify if this is just for true neutral or all three forms, though. Because why be clear when you can argue at the table instead?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah if this is Tippy we're talking about, his thing was a general critique of how ridiculous a world would be where you can animate dead at a whim and have them running on treadmills to create endless power. I don't remember if he genuinely thought it'd be a good idea, or if it was meant as a thought exercise in how ridiculous and poorly-balanced 3e was, like with Pun-Pun, but it did get a bunch of weirdos who took it hyper-seriously and talked about making their own Tippy-magic settings.

As opposed to this subforum, which went apeshit-nuts about a computer made of infinite skeletons.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As opposed to this subforum, which went apeshit-nuts about a computer made of infinite skeletons.

All I remember is turbo-dracula and becoming the moon by running up a trail of weed smoke.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PoultryGeist posted:

This is super-useful, laying it out like that (and like in Arivia’s link) is pretty much what I was hoping to find. I’m definitely going to have set pieces and defined things for most of the game, but I’d also like to have a handy little table for minor stuff so that I don’t have to wing every encounter while bushwhacking. Thanks!

Sure, glad I could help.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You say that like that isn't amazing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I don't see a problem with "Let's see how ridiculous a setting would be if you took all this literally," and "You know, that sounds fun and goofy, let's play in that setting." The brain damage is when people either insist that you can't treat abstractions as abstractions if you don't want goofy poo poo, or when they insist that the rules as written are perfectly logical and consistent.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Deleter posted:

You say that like that isn't amazing.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
https://twitter.com/NoraReed/status/965443031829692416

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That makes the Monk Smart

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

"Tell him to knock it off."

"But the only answer to an rear end in a top hat with an rear end in a top hat idea is a good rear end in a top hat with an rear end in a top hat idea."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The part where even the NPCs in that guy's campaigns use immovable rods is what makes this high art.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
"I hit him in this specific way so I can do this game-breaking thing!"
"No you didn't."

There, I fixed it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
how do you get rid of that transparent text box at the bottom of a tweet that goes directly over the top of the image/text you're trying to view

god Twitter is such a piece of poo poo

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Move your mouse cursor off the image.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fuego Fish posted:

Move your mouse cursor off the image.

Well that explains it, I'm on my laptop and exclusively use the touchscreen to navigate.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Immovable Rods are one of the coolest magic items in D&D IMO, right up there with a Bag of Tricks, but yeah no that's not how those work and the DM should have ended that post with 'and the first time he said that I laughed and told him nice try but no'.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I remember one 3rd party 3e book that did have a "Immovable Rod Master" prestige class, but I'll be damned if I could remember what the name of the book was.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I remember one 3rd party 3e book that did have a "Immovable Rod Master" prestige class, but I'll be damned if I could remember what the name of the book was.
If I had to guess, I would say "Quintessential Rods" by Mongoose.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Considering the speed of the universe expanding and the earth rotation the immovable rod should work as an awesome weapon since the universe will throw the enemy right at it at incredible velocity

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There's an NPC in the Zeitgeist adventure path where that's his shtick. It is toned down in a lit of ways, thank goodness, but the dude can also use them to effectively fly.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

That makes the Monk Smart

Provided that the Monk is a Pakled.

Gotta love the part where the tweet says 'i don't want to envoke dm law' because that's the exact situation where you use it to laugh out loud as a DM, say 'Nope', and move on past the gimmick.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 20, 2018

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
It doesn't even seem like an especially gamebreaking thing to do in the first place, honestly. Okay, if you succeed on two attack rolls you can immobilize one enemy at the cost of not being able to use your weapons for anything else because they're now fixed in place. That's probably a pretty effective tactic as long as you only ever fight one or two human-sized enemies at a time. The GM would have to be both allowing an enormous amount of leeway in how it's used and running pretty specific kinds of encounter in order for it to be consistently better than a lot of other stuff that a typical level-10 PC might be able to do. I'd be inclined to let the rod guy have his fun, within reason.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Besides, if you're a monk and using two immovable rods you missed the obvious trick of chaining them together into nunchuks. The chain would make it much easier to justify pinning or trapping too. And it's nunchuks. Heck, level up a few time and chain a few more together into a 7-section staff.

And you can still pull off the immovable rod ladder.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm picturing the kickass fight scene Jackie Chan would do with two immovable rods, and the biggest crime here is that "Hold one guy immobile and punch them for the duration" is the most weak-rear end stunt possible.

My suggestion for the dm: nut up and tell him he's causing problems. If that's not an option just add exactly one extra monster to every fight for the monk to immobilise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLf9aqYLVTk

I feel like this clip sums up your average party of PCs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

So are Immovable Rods attuned to their user, like Exalted gear? What's stopping the enemy from using their combat action to just grab the rods, push the buttons, and stow the rods?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

So are Immovable Rods attuned to their user, like Exalted gear? What's stopping the enemy from using their combat action to just grab the rods, push the buttons, and stow the rods?
Depends on their activation. I'd say pushing buttons is on the table, myself.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
You know, come to think of it at level 10 shouldn't a significant number of enemies have access to Dimension Door or Teleport or Gaseous Form or Etherealness or anything else that at least approximates one of those spells? Even if he lets that poo poo work exactly the way the player wants it to 100% of the time, a good half at least of enemies should be able to go "okay. *poof*" and be somewhere else.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

You know, come to think of it at level 10 shouldn't a significant number of enemies have access to Dimension Door or Teleport or Gaseous Form or Etherealness or anything else that at least approximates one of those spells? Even if he lets that poo poo work exactly the way the player wants it to 100% of the time, a good half at least of enemies should be able to go "okay. *poof*" and be somewhere else.

Whenever I hear these kinds of stories I just assume they've never played beyond level 10 before and have no idea of the insane tools that are being swung around at that level.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is there a good game for playing as a ruler of a duchy/small country? I'm looking at REIGN but am open to other ideas.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zurui posted:

Is there a good game for playing as a ruler of a duchy/small country? I'm looking at REIGN but am open to other ideas.

How crunchy are you aiming for?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's HarnManor, but that tops out at the size of a large monastery or landed estate.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zurui posted:

Greg Stafford's Pendragon

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

fool_of_sound posted:

How crunchy are you aiming for?

I'm want enough mechanics to engage my players but would I'm not certain they'd enjoy anything that's made significantly easier by a spreadsheet.

Pendragon is great but I imagine the bookkeeping for a larger holding would be...daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Zurui posted:

I had a fun REIGN game years ago, the Company rules were good at getting out of the way until you wanted to use them. I haven't played it, but the new Fragged Kingdoms expansion for Fragged Empires is focused on creating outposts/towns/kingdoms as a goal for your adventuring group.