Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
On the bright side, I'm bad enough at this game that I rarely see cheaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still not encountering many cheaters either. One in the last twenty or so games and he was on my team. US FPP is pretty clean so far as I can tell. I would even go so far as to say less cheaters than when I last played counter strike. It does sort of point out a glaring flaw in games without private servers and admins though.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This game is currently unplayable trash. I genuinely preferred the mechanics of this game to Overwatch but I'm not going to waste my time playing cheater-riddled trash.

"Anti-cheat is coming soon."

"Ping locking is coming soon."

"Region locking is coming soon."

Too little, too late.

Anyone who I enjoyed playing with has moved on to one of a half dozen other shooters that don't have crippling problems.

This game has been "out" for 11 months. FPP for 6 months. "Full release" for 2 months (probably pushed to hit holiday sales).

Also comparing the polish of a Blizzard game to PUBG is pretty insane. Blizzard has been a force in the industry for 25 years. This is Blueholes/PUBGCorps first full run at a game and it became wildly successful, something I highly doubt they thought was going to happen.

Games can get better. Sometimes things take time. It's fine that you don't want to play it at this point, but they certainly have enough of a player base without you to support the game and attempt to make it better. And I hope they do. I'm still having fun :shrug:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I see your point but I still hope someone competent will make one of these sometime soon.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I'd like to propose a rule saying that every post complaining about cheaters has to include a deathcam

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Le0 posted:

Are you talking about Mavericks? I'm really curious about this game, the teaser make me wants to see more however I seriously doubt that they will manage to make a playable game with 400 players.
Also people saying Miramar is too large need not apply: "Automaton Games' James Thompson offers a glimpse of the enormous 16km map we'll be able to explore"

Yes that one. I'm always skeptical, but if they can't pull it off then there are going to be others. Pubg is what it is at this point. With Bluehole showing little sign that they know what to do next, it's probably time to look forward to the next game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lex Neville posted:

I'd like to propose a rule saying that every post complaining about cheaters has to include a deathcam

I think a good number of 'cheaters' are just high-skill players being matched against average players due to the game's genius matchmaking system, but it's silly to ignore that there are alot of overt cheaters pulling off near-impossible tricks on a pretty regular basis

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

multijoe posted:

I think a good number of 'cheaters' are just high-skill players being matched against average players due to the game's genius matchmaking system, but it's silly to ignore that there are alot of overt cheaters pulling off near-impossible tricks on a pretty regular basis

When I say cheaters I say people speedhacking, insta-reviving, insta-healing, right-click holding killing 4 people in 2 seconds. Sure there are people being more subtle than that but the amount of people going "gently caress you I'll turn everything on" increases by the day.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

multijoe posted:

Look, man, either no one is cheating or everyone is cheating. Which one is it?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Look, man, either no one is cheating or everyone is cheating. Which one is it?

A moderate amount of people are cheating, I suspect due to their knowledge that the game has a hacker infestation people are too eager to label legit kills from players much better than them as aim-botters (which is a genuine issue in itself)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Look the perception that the game is widely affected by a cheating problem is pervasive, this perception undermines the legitimacy of many of the interactions that you have including those that are not actually mediated by cheating. Some players are willing to play unfair games, and can still have fun despite the heinous abuses they encounter, but every time you die you end up asking, "did this guy just beat me legitimately or is he enabled by something, even something as subtle as another screen showing my location?"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

multijoe posted:

A moderate amount of people are cheating, I suspect due to their knowledge that the game has a hacker infestation people are too eager to label legit kills from players much better than them as aim-botters (which is a genuine issue in itself)

Banning a million players for hacking is not a "moderate" cheating problem.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Look the perception that the game is widely affected by a cheating problem is pervasive, this perception undermines the legitimacy of many of the interactions that you have including those that are not actually mediated by cheating. Some players are willing to play unfair games, and can still have fun despite the heinous abuses they encounter, but every time you die you end up asking, "did this guy just beat me legitimately or is he enabled by something, even something as subtle as another screen showing my location?"

I've thought this twice and have 600+ games in. Every time I die I say, "I should have killed him, I suck," or "Dammit I never saw him."

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Banning a million players for hacking is not a "moderate" cheating problem.

3% of copies sold.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

multijoe posted:

it's really obvious when someone is cheating.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Agree the game has a perception problem, but I disagree if you think this is a huge issue for the game or growth. Clearly players have decided that the game is worth playing despite the frustration, hence the game still maintaining bonkers Concurrent User numbers. (roughly 3x higher than Dota2)

Sure they are going to lose people, but even if they lose a significant chunk of the userbase this game will still be a wild and stunning success, and will imo continue to be so for the next year or two even if they fail to address the largest NA userbase complaints.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I also think that some people here are vastly over-estimating the number of cheaters, there is a small vocal minority of people complaining about cheaters, in all my 900 hours in this game I've seen less than a hundred people cheating probably.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I also think that some people here are vastly over-estimating the number of cheaters, there is a small vocal minority of people complaining about cheaters, in all my 900 hours in this game I've seen less than a hundred people cheating probably.

Wherever there's blatant cheating people will always suspect much more widerspread subtle cheating.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah, in my few hundred hours I've never seen a single person I was convinced was cheating. NA FPP, mostly squads. No one in my squad has ever complained of it. I guess i live in the promised land :angel:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Well when 3 of the 4 accounts that I was 100% sure were cheating now show up like this?

https://pubg.op.gg/user/Friengbadao

Yea, it's pretty easy to tell blatant cheaters. Got killed by this dudes squadmate the same day.

https://pubg.op.gg/user/An1honysch?server=na

Neither are banned yet but from what I have heard he is using very expensive private cheats and somehow is never banned from the constant reports.

Just because you play NA FPP means nothing these days, I used to see almost zero cheaters there also. But as time goes on it has been getting worse, and with my playtime often overlapping with 6-10pm in China that doesn't help at all.

Here's hoping the upcoming ping based matchmaking does something, but I don't have much faith in them.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I was 3-tapped by a p92 in Georgi crates from hospital last night. That's my hack story.

Also, why is the SKS seem to be the hacker gun of choice, easy recoil to script out?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Cinara posted:

Neither are banned yet but from what I have heard he is using very expensive private cheats and somehow is never banned from the constant reports.

Don't tell this to those who think people are hacking to make that sweet $200 in steambux per year.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

3% of copies sold.

3% of all copies sold banned in one month doesn't seem like an unbelievably severe problem to you?

That means in every 100 person game you were likely to encounter, on average, 3 cheaters!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

3% of all copies sold banned in one month doesn't seem like an unbelievably severe problem to you?

That means in every 100 person game you were likely to encounter, on average, 3 cheaters!

You are taking a lot of assumptions into this calculation.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cinara posted:

Well when 3 of the 4 accounts that I was 100% sure were cheating now show up like this?

https://pubg.op.gg/user/Friengbadao

That report is not available now though. Maybe he was banned?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

That's not how it works. If they've been banned, they won't be in your game...

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That report is not available now though. Maybe he was banned?

Yea that's my point, 3 of the 4 people I was 100% sure were cheating are all banned already.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
E: ^^^ Ah I see, I got it backwards thinking that the second was the squad mate of the first one.

To change the topic slightly, I have a feeling that what will kill this game is actually the lack of moddability and custom servers.
I think that it's part of the bullheaded drive to be an e-sport, that they want only the "genuine" PUBG experience to be available, and not lose control over it. But it seems misguided for so many reasons.

1. CS:GO and others have proven that custom servers and a variety of game modes will help prolong the life of an esports game and not dilute the experience.
2. PUBG makes a terrible spectator sport. 100 players on a huge map is just too sparse, and the action is over too quickly when it happens. The broadcasts I've seen have been disjointed messes. It doesn't help that the competitive mode is squads. Just get over it and move on.
3. If they were to realize that it's not a good esport, the lack of mods and custom servers leaves them dead in the water when the novelty wears off. Imagine if you could run car-only servers, RP servers, make custom maps, team battles, aim maps, shooting galleries, competitive chuting, snowmobile battles, movie franchise ripoff mods... Having these would not make the main game less of an esport!

I don't think it's a coincidence that both Shroud and Chocotaco started playing Fortnight in earnest last week. Even if there were no cheaters and the game was less buggy, there is just not enough substance to PUBG to keep people playing it indefinitely like the "real" esport games.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 20, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To change the topic slightly, I have a feeling that what will kill this game is actually the lack of moddability and custom servers.
I think that it's part of the bullheaded drive to be an e-sport, that they want only the "genuine" PUBG experience to be available, and not lose control over it. But it seems misguided for so many reasons.

Modding would be so cool for this. Ugh they're missing a huge thing with not opening up modding to the extreme and let people make their own maps and weapons and vehicles for custom servers. The second someone releases a fairly competent fantasy/sci fi themed clone of this I'm probably done.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The first mod should be everyone getting dumped from the plane at once

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

Those were the best, really. Either that or have the plane get shot down so the longer the flight path the lower you go

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

daslog posted:

The second should be 8 man squads.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i know "esports" is now just marketing for every multiplayer game regardless of how well balanced it is or good it is to spectate but it makes especially little sense for a game that's already at full saturation.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Those were the best, really. Either that or have the plane get shot down so the longer the flight path the lower you go

when i firstt started playing everyone set themselves on fire with the molotovs (i didn't realize this) and so when the plane was trailing fire i thought the reason everyone had to jump out ("lore" wise) was that the plane was going to crash.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

E: ^^^ Ah I see, I got it backwards thinking that the second was the squad mate of the first one.

1. CS:GO and others have proven that custom servers and a variety of game modes will help prolong the life of an esports game and not dilute the experience.
2. PUBG makes a terrible spectator sport. 100 players on a huge map is just too sparse, and the action is over too quickly when it happens. The broadcasts I've seen have been disjointed messes. It doesn't help that the competitive mode is squads. Just get over it and move on.
3. If they were to realize that it's not a good esport, the lack of mods and custom servers leaves them dead in the water when the novelty wears off. Imagine if you could run car-only servers, RP servers, make custom maps, team battles, aim maps, shooting galleries, competitive chuting, snowmobile battles, movie franchise ripoff mods... Having these would not make the main game less of an esport!

I don't think it's a coincidence that both Shroud and Chocotaco started playing Fortnight in earnest last week. Even if there were no cheaters and the game was less buggy, there is just not enough substance to PUBG to keep people playing it indefinitely like the "real" esport games.

I agree, let it be modded. I think it CAN be an esport, but they really need to figure out the best way to broadcast it. CS as an esport has been around 10+ years and it is extremely polished. It wasn't always the best to watch. The current broadcast options are indeed horrendous right now though.

Shroud and Choco still play a ton of PUBG. Instead of 95% of their time it's probably 70% of their time. Which is still a ton of time being spent playing the game.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

blunt posted:

The second should be 8 man squads.

Why stop there, doesn't Fortnight already have 50 v 50 battles? :-D

My fav mod would be to be able to spectate the guy who killed you. Casual mode and spectating was how I learned to play CS:GO.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Shroud and Choco still play a ton of PUBG. Instead of 95% of their time it's probably 70% of their time. Which is still a ton of time being spent playing the game.

Agreed, they both know their core audience is there for PUBG. But listen to Choco for a bit, he's far from the happy go lucky attitude he had when he started full time streaming. He's really good at hiding it but I think he's getting bored.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 20, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I agree, let it be modded. I think it CAN be an esport, but they really need to figure out the best way to broadcast it. CS as an esport has been around 10+ years and it is extremely polished. It wasn't always the best to watch. The current broadcast options are indeed horrendous right now though.

cs is short matches of a small number of people and no rng loot.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Groovelord Neato posted:

cs is short matches of a small number of people and no rng loot.

I know exactly what CS is. I've played it forever. I was just comparing the polish of the broadcast and presentation of the e-sport CS compared to the e-sport PUBG. It's nowhere near it. But remember, 10 years ago we logged in to cs 1.6 to watch lovely HLTV versions of matches and downloaded single player demos.

It would take a lot because of the large amount of players, but surely there is a way to properly present and broadcast a battle royale style game.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Agreed, they both know their core audience is there for PUBG. But listen to Choco for a bit, he's far from the happy go lucky attitude he had when he started full time streaming. He's really good at hiding it but I think he's getting bored.

Agreed again. This is their money maker right now, they know when their viewer count drops and why. They have to ride the gravy train as long as they can, while tip-toeing around getting bored and making sure there is a backup if something goes wrong.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 20, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's that the game itself doesn't lend itself to esports/competitive gaming. the spectating issue is second to that.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Why stop there, doesn't Fortnight already have 50 v 50 battles? :-D

8 just feels like about the biggest number you could conceivably go and still get a group of people communicating in discord and pulling off some fun plays. At 50 Vs 50 it's just turning into counterstrike on a giant map.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

For this to shine as an esport they need a web/chatbot accessible minimap and at least 2-3 cameras plus the live editor switching between them. Maybe that’s too expensive, but if you handled it like a live broadcast with multiple cameras it wouldn’t be nearly as horrible and add in second screen maps, bam you’ve got an interesting spectator sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

That's not how it works. If they've been banned, they won't be in your game...

They'll just buy the game again, which is why being serious about stopping cheaters isn't profitable.

Just look at CS and how well it sells every time it goes on sale even though the player numbers are pretty stable. That's not all cheaters of course, CS has smurfs too. But still.