Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

You could have a generic "unknown ship" model. Possibly in a variety of size classes
Just a vague blur of the appropriate size and colour.

OwlFancier posted:

though that's likely to give away what kind of ship it is given that in Stellaris you don't deploy single cruisers. Which is less so in Aurora with its freeform design.
I would if I thought my enemies might think they were colony ships. But seriously, a just finished reinforcement heading from a shipyard to the main fleet is one case you'd see a solo cruiser, and one where you'd jump at the chance to take it out. Also since planets don't have orbital shipyards anymore a single cruiser could probably do a heck of a lot of damage. The main problem is that yeah, since it's claim -> colonise you'll not see a colony ship outside someone's territory and with claim markers in every system it'll be harder to not know you're in someone's system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd be okay with some visual effect representing sensor distortion/unclear data unless one of your own vessels actually comes close enough to get a visual identification, like how solar systems which you haven't reached but have sensor information on appear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Splicer posted:

Just a vague blur of the appropriate size and colour.
I would if I thought my enemies might think they were colony ships. But seriously, a just finished reinforcement heading from a shipyard to the main fleet is one case you'd see a solo cruiser, and one where you'd jump at the chance to take it out. Also since planets don't have orbital shipyards anymore a single cruiser could probably do a heck of a lot of damage. The main problem is that yeah, since it's claim -> colonise you'll not see a colony ship outside someone's territory and with claim markers in every system it'll be harder to not know you're in someone's system.

Less so if you hadn't identified it because you hadn't even met the empire it originated from, though, cos you're not going to see people's reinforcing lines or be eager to pick off their cruisers if you haven't made contact with them. That would be more appropriate for a general fog of war and intelligence overhaul where you actually need to figure out your enemy's ship designs and maintain certain levels of sensor coverage to pick them up and yeah then you're basically just playing actual Aurora. Might be a bit beyond the scale for Stellaris given that it operates on a pretty binary per-system intelligence level.

You could perhaps do it on a per-design level but then you need a SOTS-like prototyping cost to stop people just changing their designs all the time to blind enemy sensors.

turn off the TV posted:

I'd be okay with some visual effect representing sensor distortion/unclear data unless one of your own vessels actually comes close enough to get a visual identification, like how solar systems which you haven't reached but have sensor information on appear.

But yeah as here I think showing enemy ships as a greyed out generic model with no power rating until you make contact might be quite interesting. Though you'd probably need to make later game contacting harder for it to be really worthwhile and that's sort of the opposite of how it works now.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 20, 2018

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

I'm... also a little annoyed at that, though? Not nearly as much as they were but Paradox's usual release-week sales are timed to the new DLC's release, aren't they?

I'm adding you to the chortle list

(more seriously I actually didn't know they did that in the past)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

What about a blob representing all the ships roughly scaled based on their total size. So that could be one colony ship or 3 - 5 corvettes, and you don't get to find out what until you've probably already started firing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wanna say "source your quote" but just in case you're serious the steam sale was run by steam and they don't give a drat about a random game having an expansion just two days after their sale.

Anyways, try the Paradox Plaza Store, they also had a sale going and it was still on as of yesterday. You can get a steam key from them.

Thanks for your helpful answer. Now that I'm calmed down, I recognize that I had a stupid meltdown. I was mostly angry at PayPal, and it was unfair to transfer my anger to Paradox.

I did not know that the Steam sale was independent of Apocalypse coming out. I only notice the sales when SA threads point them out for specific games I'm interested in. I've found that I'm liable to spend too much money on games I'll never play if I do it any other way. Sadly, the only game for sale on Paradox Plaza is Age of Wonders 3, and I already own that game and all DLC. (It's a great game by the way!)

And I've bought dozens of CK2 DLC at full price, and I can't remember a new CK2 DLC coming out where older DLC were not for sale. I just did not expect there to be no Stellaris sale two days before a new release.

I'll probably still buy Apocalypse, because I like Paradox and want to support them for putting out such an amazing patch as Cherryh seems to be. But I won't buy any of the other stuff now. Being mad was a bit stupid anyway, I can get those stuff in another sale. But I was so excited for Thursday, and the whole thing has just extinguished the hype :(

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 20, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit: I really should play the star trek mod at some point though, might be worth me doing that instead of upgrading to apoc since i assume its not gonna work in 2.0

Nah, they've said they've been working on a compatibility patch already, and they released a Utopia compatibility patch the day Utopia shipped, so I'm pretty sure Paradox gives them early access (which makes sense given how popular the mod is)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I'd probably like the star trek mod more if it didn't make you play as one of the canon civs.

You CAN play as a custom race, it'll just complain and place you somewhere randomly where you'll probably be mauled.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Any win conditions update better have a Power Behind the Throne secret objective where you win instead of your overlord if you are a vassal and your overlord wins.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I just want a way for my Starbuckian corporate oligarchy to be able to force all other empires to buy our beverages. I want to be able to place Starbuckia outposts in any system regardless of sovereignty because even robots want to consume our drinks!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Splicer posted:

What about a blob representing all the ships roughly scaled based on their total size. So that could be one colony ship or 3 - 5 corvettes, and you don't get to find out what until you've probably already started firing.

I had just imagined something like a shader that creates grain and pixelation around unknown objects that would look similar to extremely magnified telescope imagery. So a mammalian corvette could look something like this:

You can kind of tell what size it is but mostly it's a blob.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

I mean a shop stance that's "go visit every unvisited system" instead of "go scan every unscanned planet".

That would be really nice. Put one of your scientists with the -1000% xp trait on finding systems duty, and let the actually useful scientists go survey things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh man I missed good old-school Paradox nerd sperg fights this was beautiful thank you all, it tides me over until Thursday :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh man I missed good old-school Paradox nerd sperg fights this was beautiful thank you all, it tides me over until Thursday :allears:

It's a preview of things to come. Official paradox forums are going to be amazing this weekend.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DatonKallandor posted:

Any win conditions update better have a Power Behind the Throne secret objective where you win instead of your overlord if you are a vassal and your overlord wins.

I think that was one of the more popular ideas back when it was first floated. But if Wiz is one of the people who didnt "get it" I very much doubt we will ever see it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GlyphGryph posted:

I think that was one of the more popular ideas back when it was first floated. But if Wiz is one of the people who didnt "get it" I very much doubt we will ever see it.
I went back and checked, Wiz not seeming to get it was because of arguments over the definition of the phrase "Win Condition". It took a while for everyone to agree that "Winning" can exist without anyone else necessarily "Losing".

Omniblivion posted:

When you push the button, it... ...does a cool effect like nuke every other planet outside of your borders
This was exactly the kind of thing Wiz was saying "What gently caress no" about and what he thought people were looking for.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I mean there already is a win condition in the game. It's called triggering the End of the Cycle. It even has NG+ built in.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

DatonKallandor posted:

I mean there already is a win condition in the game. It's called triggering the End of the Cycle. It even has NG+ built in.

Sort of related, but it would be pretty neat to have play that somehow cycles you and some of the other races into Fallen Empires and refreshes the rest of the galaxy with newly emerging races.

That could either be as a "You have to play a new race now" or include some kind of new play-style for PC Fallen Empires.

I imagine if we ever saw such a thing it wouldn't be for another year or so - lots of things Paradox probably wants to do before then, and it would likely be a bit of a heavy lift.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like to set my own goals but it would be nice to have some mechanics build around that a little, along with more tools to achieve those goals. For instance maybe you're playing a pacifist country and as a goal you select "galactic peace pact" or something which is achieved when you've converted the galaxy through force or diplomacy to be pacifist and all sign some game "winning" treaty. Or maybe you're spiritualist and want to ascend, with enough research and understanding of the shroud you can do this and your empire pops out of existence, maybe giving you the option to play as the few left behind that are now blessed and supported by real gods. Or a materialist empire could create a huge matrioshka brain dyson sphere as an end goal. Just, give us a bunch of interesting flavourful end-goals to work towards that don't necessarily end the game for anyone but give a powerful or interesting reward. Most importantly they'd give some structured goal to actually work towards other than just painting the map your colour.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmSnnPWImiE

Scott Manley got a preview build.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So when you guys are talking about "The Star Trek Mod", which one are you talking about?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Gort posted:

So when you guys are talking about "The Star Trek Mod", which one are you talking about?

That would be New Horizons

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the few nice youtube people. Him and the lady from retro space produce some good space content and they both just talk like normal people instead of brain damaged fm morning zone radio hosts.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ah yeah I totally forgot about Scott Manley existing when I was laying out good YTers. Shame on me, he's extremely good and also the only reason I can get above about 100meters in KSP.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ms Adequate posted:

Ah yeah I totally forgot about Scott Manley existing when I was laying out good YTers. Shame on me, he's extremely good and also the only reason I can get above about 100meters in KSP.

I mean he could just post his own videos itt if he wanted to.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

One of the few nice youtube people. Him and the lady from retro space produce some good space content and they both just talk like normal people instead of brain damaged fm morning zone radio hosts.

Are you talking about the Vintage Space channel, or some other retro space style channel? If so, I agree both on Vintage Space and Illectro being awesome.

Speaking of youtube stuff, has anyone jumped straight into late game? Honestly I don't care too much about seeing early game content, I care more about how the changes have helped improve the end game and reducing tedium on that side.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nessin posted:

Are you talking about the Vintage Space channel, or some other retro space style channel? If so, I agree both on Vintage Space and Illectro being awesome.

Speaking of youtube stuff, has anyone jumped straight into late game? Honestly I don't care too much about seeing early game content, I care more about how the changes have helped improve the end game and reducing tedium on that side.

Oops yeah Vintage Space is who I was thinking of, her stuff is good but she doesn't really do video games. I like Scott because he covers everything to do with space, from games to actual space news.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

This was exactly the kind of thing Wiz was saying "What gently caress no" about and what he thought people were looking for.

I think I remember that "gently caress no" conversation, but it's a little foggy. Without going into a ton of details, my suggestion was just to plug in something after the crisis is defeated that can be researched for a final Galactic Wonder (for lack of a better term). Right now, after the Crisis, the game pretty much just stops until someone hits the planet or domination victory condition (a blank win screen).

Things could change a bit with the Jesus Patch but I feel like we're still going to hit a point where you have won but the game hasn't told you that you've won yet (IE: crushing everyone but not actually killed the last handful of xenos). It's usually at this point that I just quit out of those games and never touch them again. It'd be cool to have a button to push that ends the galaxy and either gives a super hard challenge (the aforementioned Super Crisis) or some random bonus and lore for your next playthrough with that race.

Without having any data on the topic, I would guess that the vast majority of time spent within Stellaris is in the Midgame, the point at which the game performs the best, and I wouldn't be opposed to gameplay loops that get us back there ASAP rather than just restarting the game once we get bored as it's pointless to go for a "win".

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Just a warning, I don’t think this is a very good video, the start conditions deliver an empty galaxy, so while there’s talk of the new features it’s 2 hours of not very compelling gameplay. Also did a livestream at twitch.tv where the species had a phobia about touching other planets so they stayed in Homeworld and developed droids for colonization. That may continue tonight.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
On first contact, the original SOTS got it nearly perfect. If two scout ships encounter each other, they're forced into combat for at least ~4 minutes. During that time you stare at the other ship trying to figure out if it's going to fire first - or if you should - because losing a scout ship in the first few turns is a Big Deal and whoever fires first from an optimum angle has the best chance of winning.

Of course, if you don't fire first and they don't fire, then you can have a positive relationship to each others' advantage. It's a great Prisoner's Dilemma minigame.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is it too late to get my money back?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the game sucks. I've enjoyed the time I spent in Stellaris. However, I have one unyeilding hatred in space 4x games - hyperlanes.

My loathing for hyperlanes is such that I absolutely, unequivocably refuse to buy any space 4x that forces them on me. It doesn't matter how amazingly awesome every single other thing in the game is, I won't buy it. Period.

The single biggest selling point in Stellaris for me was that I wasn't forced into the single most illogical and unrealistic form of space transport ever devised by small minds, and now I find that has changed.

While I won't actually bother to attempt to get a refund, I will be uninstalling this game as soon as I finish this post. I won't be buying anything from this developer again.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Sauce yer quotes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

illectro posted:

Just a warning, I don’t think this is a very good video, the start conditions deliver an empty galaxy, so while there’s talk of the new features it’s 2 hours of not very compelling gameplay. Also did a livestream at twitch.tv where the species had a phobia about touching other planets so they stayed in Homeworld and developed droids for colonization. That may continue tonight.
Thanks for the heads up, I just started your last livestream it's was exactly what I was looking for in that it skips the very initial expansion that I've seen quite a few times now. And it's narrated by someone actually listenable and on top of things.

Here's the link for others who've been looking for a good one:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/230918307

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

All the Colossi in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HCkYyLyez4

That solid armored prow on the reptilian one :swoon:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the game sucks. I've enjoyed the time I spent in Stellaris. However, I have one unyeilding hatred in space 4x games - hyperlanes.

My loathing for hyperlanes is such that I absolutely, unequivocably refuse to buy any space 4x that forces them on me. It doesn't matter how amazingly awesome every single other thing in the game is, I won't buy it. Period.

The single biggest selling point in Stellaris for me was that I wasn't forced into the single most illogical and unrealistic form of space transport ever devised by small minds, and now I find that has changed.

While I won't actually bother to attempt to get a refund, I will be uninstalling this game as soon as I finish this post. I won't be buying anything from this developer again.

welp, time to uninstall

This, but your posting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I was watching the Arumba stream (well, the preamble, then I saw the thread's reaction and decided to look elsewhere). It mentioned there's only 3 songs for this expansion (and played all three), and none of them were the trailer soundtrack. Kind of a bummer, I really liked that song.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cynic Jester posted:

Sauce yer quotes.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/281990/discussions/0/3377008022040444930/
Dude has almost 100 hours in the game already and wants a refund because of the update.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why not wait and see if a mod puts warp and wormhole back in

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

On first contact, the original SOTS got it nearly perfect. If two scout ships encounter each other, they're forced into combat for at least ~4 minutes. During that time you stare at the other ship trying to figure out if it's going to fire first - or if you should - because losing a scout ship in the first few turns is a Big Deal and whoever fires first from an optimum angle has the best chance of winning.

Of course, if you don't fire first and they don't fire, then you can have a positive relationship to each others' advantage. It's a great Prisoner's Dilemma minigame.

It's been a few years now but in SOTS I just remember spending the first couple of turns building tankers and firing them off towards the nearest stars - they either ran into something and blew up or ran out of fuel and I deleted them. I don't remember it ever being a big deal.

In the same vein, losing a science ship early in Stellaris isn't that big a deal. Replacing the scientist, however, can set you back. It's why I try and pay attention to what they're doing so I have a chance to toss them back into the leader pool before they get blown up. The ship is easily replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Most important change in 2.0: space Communism is now canon.

• Locked thread