Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

elise the great posted:

the laboring vagina is basically a potato cannon
New thread title. For any thread really, not just this one.

edit:

Baba Oh Really posted:

Do lawyers normally talk about cases being actively worked on with non-lawyer folk?
All the time, but generally with all names scrubbed and the word "allegedly" sprinkled throughout like salt on popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Elise, your book will have a chapter devoted to "Stories told to me by the Internet, with my rankings for plausibility", right?

I *really* want your book to include your POV notes whenever possible. I'm going to remember that bit about your son's hair hanging from your crotch for a long, long time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

"Smaller than a banana" what happened to the husband's dick when he put it in those jaws of life?

Nothing at all unless she had an orgasm while he was in there, so......

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Well, contractions don't even work like that anyway. The uterus contracts, the cervix relaxes, and the baby is pushed out into the birth canal. There isn't any incising done by the vagina opening.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FogHelmut posted:

Well, contractions don't even work like that anyway. The uterus contracts, the cervix relaxes, and the baby is pushed out into the birth canal. There isn't any incising done by the vagina opening.

:colbert:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FogHelmut posted:

Bad timing coming after the post from the nurse who gave birth less than a year ago that just said it does work like that.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The vagina doesn’t contract at the opening, no. If anything, the vadge itself expands and stretches to channel the force exerted by the contracting uterus— the vagina is the barrel of the potato cannon, the uterus is the hairspray ignition chamber. This isn’t like the way you behead your turds by rear end-pinching them in half when you realize you’re late for work.

This is more like crushing force applied to a friable skin blob full of delicate joints and newly-calcified bones, squirting it out of a vagina that realistically isn’t ready to deliver. The dismemberment probably happened during a contraction, and the release of tension afterward probably allowed the detached head to move further down the vaginal canal, where the next contraction queefed it and all the unblockaded uterine contents out onto the sterile drapes.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is kinda :nms: so heads up.

My brother in law is a lawyer with the law firm that has the contract to defend doctors against lawsuits in my area. He told me about the following case he's currently working on.

A woman was going into labor and the baby was only 18 weeks old (smaller than a banana). It was not going to survive so the doctors wanted to do a c-section but she insisted on a "natural birth". So she's pushing the baby our and the head pops out when she suddenly has a contraction. Because of the baby's small size and soft bones this literally decapitated the baby and it's head went flying across the room. Blood is spraying everywhere and everyone is screaming. Because of the contraction, the baby's body was pulled back in to the uterus and crushed it so it was now in 3 pieces. The doctor had to go in and pull all the pieces out. Then the mother insisted on holding the "baby". The nurses and doctors are all strongly advising her against this but she is insisting. So a nurse has to take all the parts and tapes them together and wraps it up in a blanket. Then while the mother holding the baby the dad starts taking photos of their "little angel" to post on facebook.

The end result is the parents are suing the doctor for negligence and nurses and other staff that were in the room all had to go to therapy.

Push it.mp3

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Another bit of miscarriage-related :nms: fuckery: a few years back, my weirdo best friend had a fairly early miscarriage at about 10 weeks. She hadn’t realized she was pregnant because her periods are super irregular, so she thought she was just having a really hellish period, until she passed something in the shower that looked like a gummy bear.

She’s an artist, not a medical person. It took her a few minutes to figure out what it was. During that time she picked it up, turned it back and forth a few times, and then squished it.

She said it was way easier to squish than a gummy bear would have been, and that’s how she knew.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'And although we must lay young Brandon to rest far, far too soon, we take solace and faith in the fact that he was very soft, softer indeed than a lowly gummi bear, and did not Jesus tell us to cherish the squishy?'

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Baba Oh Really posted:

Do lawyers normally talk about cases being actively worked on with non-lawyer folk?

Depends. I sometimes complain about some aspect of a case to my girlfriend without any details or names and I sometimes talk about anonymized general examples when asked about [law question] that's actually from a case without saying it's from a case.

But talking about cases I'm currently working in any sort of way that's identifiable to persons, institutions or places or in any kind of detail whatsoever? Hell no. My duty to prevent information about anything getting out is seriously strict, and I can't even admit someone's my client if that client doesn't wish it.

Would I talk about the baby head thing? Maybe to a therapist, but no I wouldn't say a damned thing about any of all that to anyone because 1. Gross. and 2. that would be wayyy easy for someone to put two and two together and find out who I'm talking about. And I like my license, thank you very much.

E: Like, I worked a personal injury case once for a five year old who was kidnapped, abused and almost murdered. Think I told anyone about that? No, thanks. People don't want to hear it and I don't want to be the weirdo who talks about that poo poo. And even on this anonymizing forum, that's also all I'll say about the case. There's an example for you.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 20, 2018

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nice piece of fish posted:

People don't want to hear it
That's where you're wrong, bucko! Lawyer stories are :krad: and if people didn't want to hear them, L&O wouldn't have gone 20 seasons. Hell, there's a whole channel pretty much dedicated to that kinda poo poo.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Turn back, thread

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

elise the great posted:

Another bit of miscarriage-related :nms: fuckery: a few years back, my weirdo best friend had a fairly early miscarriage at about 10 weeks. She hadn’t realized she was pregnant because her periods are super irregular, so she thought she was just having a really hellish period, until she passed something in the shower that looked like a gummy bear.

She’s an artist, not a medical person. It took her a few minutes to figure out what it was. During that time she picked it up, turned it back and forth a few times, and then squished it.

She said it was way easier to squish than a gummy bear would have been, and that’s how she knew.

Is your friend in anyway related to GE Cafe?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1882534

They seem to both have a habit of red things falling out of them in the shower.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
if the next horrific premature death-birth story doesn't have Ice-T in it, i'm not interested

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vargatron posted:

I'm no obstetrician, but wouldn't an 18 week old fetus just be considered a miscarriage?

this is a real cartoon published in newspapers after the latest school shooting

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Nenonen posted:

The response to this is so simple:

We don't value human lives so abortions should not be banned and guns should

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

elise the great posted:

Why would she squish the gummy bear instead of eating it? C'mon, free gummy bear!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ExecuDork posted:

bearchat is a much better idea

I was supposed to go and visit a nickel exploration camp on the west coast of Greenland in June of 2016. The trip was cancelled after the local guide did a low fly-by of the camp (Nissen huts, a supplies/POL dump and a generator tower) to discover that a "large family" of Polar Bears had moved in.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Man hit in horrific accident.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nenonen posted:

How does this person think late abortions are performed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

a conservative political cartoonist? misinformed!?

about women's medical procedures???!?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

With the tools labelled 'LATE TERM ABORTION", obviously :rolleyes:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Cthulu Carl posted:

With the tools labelled 'LATE TERM ABORTION", obviously :rolleyes:
Wrong, the answer is A, so long as we're talking about the 67th trimester at least.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I'm not dumb enough to think that this would work, but I'm also not smart enough to explain why it wouldn't.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Hah I thought it was some sort of lock out/tag out system for a baggie of weed.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I'm not dumb enough to think that this would work, but I'm also not smart enough to explain why it wouldn't.

I'm not qualified to answer this, but gently caress it I'll give it a shot.

You want to ground equipment so if there's a short/failure, the electricity has a safe pathway out of the equipment, rather than say shocking an operator or energizing the cabinet.

Pretty sure this is just a joke image cause holy gently caress I don't think anyone is really that dumb, but a common grounding technique is ground to earth, ie literal dirt. You can ground to the actual earth outside your facility, and the electricity is safely dissipated. The planet is big and can just absorb the electricity (resistance blah blah or something) This is grounding to a little baggie of dirt (earth lol) that isn't gonna do jack poo poo since there's no actual path for the electricity to leave the equipment.

I'm sure someone much smarter than me is about to quote this and expose me for the fool I am. I await their abuse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats too little earth it’ll just get full of electricity right away

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

`Nemesis posted:

Pretty sure this is just a joke image

I really, really hope so.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

The Power Station isn't sending electrons to you. They put them right into the ground. What they do is give you a piece of copper that is sucking electrons out of your ground.
If you don't have a ground, there are no electrons that can travel to the power plant.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s like a scaled down version of this.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s like a scaled down version of this.

Well, to be fair, it is leaning up against that metal scaffolding, though with the paint it isn't a very good ground. Dunno, enough amperage, and I guess anyone walking around on that metal floor with we boots might be surprised.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

releasing stuck post

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spankmeister posted:

releasing stuck post

There's been a ton of these in the last few days. I'd ask Lowtax about it on twitter but, well...

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Memento posted:

There's been a ton of these in the last few days. I'd ask Lowtax about it on twitter but, well...

God, I think it was mine. wtf did I do? Maybe I've stumbled on... a secret weapon or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

God, I think it was mine. wtf did I do? Maybe I've stumbled on... a secret weapon or something.

Well the forums hamster who was dying in his wheel seems to have just been replaced, so we'll see if that improves the situation.

The early days of nuclear research were the loving Wild West.

https://twitter.com/NuclearAnthro/status/937134812027949056

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Memento posted:

It's just a bunch of atoms! They're tiny! We're big manly men! Some other early nuclear tests that featured similar craziness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

A botched attempt at Jenga killed one guy:

quote:

Daghlian made a mistake while performing neutron reflector experiments on the core. ... The core was placed within a stack of neutron-reflective tungsten carbide bricks and the addition of each brick moved the assembly closer to criticality. While attempting to stack another brick around the assembly, Daghlian accidentally dropped it onto the core and thereby caused the core to go well into supercriticality, a self-sustaining critical chain reaction.

And another two were killed when a screwdriver slipped:

quote:

[Testing] required the operator to place two half-spheres of beryllium (a neutron reflector) around the core to be tested and manually lower the top reflector over the core via a thumb hole on the top. As the reflectors were manually moved closer and farther away from each other, scintillation counters measured the relative activity from the core. Allowing them to close completely could result in the instantaneous formation of a critical mass and a lethal power excursion. Under Slotin's unapproved protocol, the only thing preventing this was the blade of a standard straight screwdriver, manipulated by the scientist's other hand.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Memento posted:

Well the forums hamster who was dying in his wheel seems to have just been replaced, so we'll see if that improves the situation.

.0000005 MWTh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The concept is there. You just need a lot more material to literally have plenty of electrons to flow from easily.

Take ships. They have their own ground. It's a big chunk of iron that's literally there to be a source of electrons to flow from.

Note ground is relative. Most places we reference the literal ground and buildings have posts burried 8ish feet down to get to those sweet sweet infinite electrons. On a ship your 'ground' inside the boat can be 400v difference then the outside of the ship. Everything has to stay very isolated and there are ground testers all over.

Tldr: joke of scale. A bag instead of the planet.