Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

wrong thread so replacing this with real info:

Rhode Island lost, so the two longest winning streaks in D1 are now Vermont with 15 and Grambling(!) with 10.

After getting paid the big bucks by major programs, Savannah State has won nine straight and are 10-1 in the MEAC. Savannah State has never made the NCAA tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

i think you'll find that kansas is the dirty team in kansas

i think you'll find that emporia state is the only clean program in kansas

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Probably Magic posted:

i think you'll find that emporia state is the only clean program in kansas

I would say Pitt State, but they're dirty...in a different way :wink:

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
And now their coach is noted shitass, Kermit the Frog-sounding rear end program destroyer Kim Anderson

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

:rip: you noble, majestic gorillas

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

VIC loving LAW

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
One more win and I think VT makes the NCAA tourney twice in a row for the first time since the year I was born, when we made it for both '85 and '86.

Also he is not the best head coach there is, and he's a little nuts, but I love our head coach: https://twitter.com/HokiesMBB/status/963426942023237633

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Maybe the first close loss Mizzou has had this year where instead of throwing the game away late, they distributed the choke evenly throoughout by missing 7 or 8 shots at the rim and shooting like 40% from the stripe.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anfernee McLemore goes down with what's being called a dislocated ankle late in the first half of Auburn's loss against South Carolina. Only saw the last few minutes of the game myself, said to be pretty ugly. Huge blow, he was entirely responsible for controlling the inside and doing a drat good job for an undersized team. If we're not getting him back I can see some disappointingly early exits from the SEC/NCAA tournaments looming in the future.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State is 8-6 in the ACC with games against BC and Georgia Tech still to come; breaking even is near certain and 10 or even 11 wins is possible. Tony Bennett will rightly win coach of the year in the ACC, but Kevin Keatts has done a hell of a job with a team that most fans (me included) gave up on before the season even started.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

Well, uh

conference championship streak's dead.

I hate you a whole lot.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Nur_Neerg posted:

One more win and I think VT makes the NCAA tourney twice in a row for the first time since the year I was born, when we made it for both '85 and '86.

Also he is not the best head coach there is, and he's a little nuts, but I love our head coach: https://twitter.com/HokiesMBB/status/963426942023237633
I was on the wrong side in that game, but that video really highlights that he coached that game exactly how it needed to be coached. That's a fantastic video, thanks for sharing it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I hate you a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bF38rT7et0

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Vermont lost, so the nation's longest winning streak now belongs to Grambling State, at 11 games. That's got to be the most statistically anomalous thing this year.

Grambling is also ineligible for the NCAAs thanks to APR issues, which is totally a fair rule and not at all one that disproportionately punishes smaller, poorer, often historically black institutions while bluebloods are allowed to loving hollow out entire departments for fake eligibility and keep right on trucking. But on the upside, the Tigers could well run the table from here and entire 2018–19 on an 18 game or so streak, before returning to long bus trips to guarantee games all over this great land.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I hate Big XII refs and Kansas definitely gets a lot of home cooking calls but I still think it is hilarious that Huggins is being a crybaby about his team actually getting called for fouling the poo poo out of every team they play for once.

If the free throw edge is 35-2 maybe try not fouling and that could probably help.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thoguh posted:

I hate Big XII refs and Kansas definitely gets a lot of home cooking calls but I still think it is hilarious that Huggins is being a crybaby about his team actually getting called for fouling the poo poo out of every team they play for once.

If the free throw edge is 35-2 maybe try not fouling and that could probably help.

I suspect Huggins was more worried about the 2 than the 35.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn depth so bad after that injury Bruce Pearl is just ethering his own walk-on backups
https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/965704192693293056

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it's official, Louisville's 2013 NCAA banner is coming down, and they're vacating all wins from 2011-2015 inclusive.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NCAA denied Louisville's final appeal so the Cardinals are no longer the 2013 national champions except that everyone still remembers it that way so who really cares. Not like Michigan's going to hang a banner instead.

edit: yeah what he said

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Vacating wins and titles is the dumbest thing in college sports.

But lol gently caress Rick pitino

Edit

https://twitter.com/papademere/status/966001360117293056

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 20, 2018

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
There's definitely a feeling of schadenfrued for UK fans, especially those who live in Louisville, who for years have had to listen to UL fans talk about how UK and Cal are cheaters and it doesn't matter how many titles UK wins they'll all come down anyway, yet theirs is the banner that gets taken down. I might feel bad for individual fans I know, but not the fan base as a whole.

They said in the press conference they did all they could to try to mitigate the damage, cooperated the whole way, but what they didn't do that I think weighed on the NCAA's decision was get rid of Pitino, a coach on his second sex scandal, as soon as it all came out. Jurich's loyalty to Pitino and their combined hubris of you can't touch us is what did them in.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

There's definitely a feeling of schadenfrued for UK fans, especially those who live in Louisville, who for years have had to listen to UL fans talk about how UK and Cal are cheaters and it doesn't matter how many titles UK wins they'll all come down anyway, yet theirs is the banner that gets taken down. I might feel bad for individual fans I know, but not the fan base as a whole.

They said in the press conference they did all they could to try to mitigate the damage, cooperated the whole way, but what they didn't do that I think weighed on the NCAA's decision was get rid of Pitino, a coach on his second sex scandal, as soon as it all came out. Jurich's loyalty to Pitino and their combined hubris of you can't touch us is what did them in.

at the end of the day I still kinda respect Jurich for turning Louisville from a middling C-USA program with poo poo facilities into an ACC school with shiny new buildings and competitive programs across the board, all thanks to terrible carry-out pizza and a shoe company desperate for US relevance

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:nws::nms: warning before you share a picture of Pitino’s warlock vampire witch skin up close

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the NCAA vacating that broken leg too?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They should refuse to acknowledge it and leave the banner up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
they should be on the hook for all the costs associated with recycling the banner into a football national championship banner for UCF

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
like what could the NCAA even do if they just left it up and said they were still the champs? They aren't the cops they can't come take your banner. Just leave it and let the record book say whatever it is going to say

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

like what could the NCAA even do if they just left it up and said they were still the champs? They aren't the cops they can't come take your banner. Just leave it and let the record book say whatever it is going to say

The NCAA order includes removal of the banners and listings of the vacated championships in media guides, etc. So if they didn't do it, they would be in violation and in line for further penalties. Ultimately, if they want to play NCAA basketball, they have to take down the banners.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So... Tech's best player is out for an unknown number of games, potentially including the Kansas game on Saturday.

It's going to be very hard to win in Stillwater without him. We tried guys, we really tried to break the Kansas streak, but luck was not on our side...

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Troy Queef posted:

at the end of the day I still kinda respect Jurich for turning Louisville from a middling C-USA program with poo poo facilities into an ACC school with shiny new buildings and competitive programs across the board, all thanks to terrible carry-out pizza and a shoe company desperate for US relevance

And we should, not many peoples' work is as valuable as the billions of dollars Jurich earned Louisville.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MourningView posted:

Ban them from postseason play, like the NCAA threatened UIUC with over the chief

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

So... Tech's best player is out for an unknown number of games, potentially including the Kansas game on Saturday.

It's going to be very hard to win in Stillwater without him. We tried guys, we really tried to break the Kansas streak, but luck was not on our side...

Spoken like someone trying to do reverse psychology when we all know losing a star player unlocks your final form like when Kansas won a championship without Sherron Collins or the Eagles won without Wentz. I'm on to your bullshit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The NCAA order includes removal of the banners and listings of the vacated championships in media guides, etc. So if they didn't do it, they would be in violation and in line for further penalties. Ultimately, if they want to play NCAA basketball, they have to take down the banners.

Lame

mastershakeman posted:

Ban them from postseason play, like the NCAA threatened UIUC with over the chief

Chief Truthers are an underrated most insane fanbase

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

this is true, and it was fun to ask them where he was when I was at Mizzou. once some drunk guy nearly fought me because I called him a "mascot" and not a "symbol"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
WRONG thread

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

But enough about Helms banners

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

gently caress UK but yeah this. gently caress Jurich even more for not firing Pitino when the Katina Powell story broke.

I differ from most Uofl fans and put the blame squarely on Rick and Jurich. No way you'll convince me Rick didnt know or participate in both scandals. Jurich was a great AD but he sided with Rick out of Rick being an institution unto himself moreso out of being the smart thing to do (it wasnt).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MourningView posted:

Lame

im sure you'll be shocked that all my uiuc friends (that care about sports) are diehead chief supporters. little did they know that the NCAA banned illinois from postseason play regardless of retiring the chief, see: the last 5 years or whatever! it's all part of the ncaa being out to get us!!

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Knives Amilli posted:

gently caress UK but yeah this. gently caress Jurich even more for not firing Pitino when the Katina Powell story broke.

I differ from most Uofl fans and put the blame squarely on Rick and Jurich. No way you'll convince me Rick didnt know or participate in both scandals. Jurich was a great AD but he sided with Rick out of Rick being an institution unto himself moreso out of being the smart thing to do (it wasnt).

A sane UofL fan! That is definitely different from what I normally hear, I still know so many UofL fans who think one or both are completely innocent. There's no way Rick didn't know about the strippers or the money. As for Jurich, yeah he was a great AD as far as moving all of their sports programs to the next level, but he was also pretty corrupt while doing it. The guy dipped into UofL Foundation funds, that are supposed to keep the school running, to buy a golf course for the school. Plus the corrupt school president on top of it, yet it was only Andre McGee who is responsible for ruining the reputation of the university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

A sane UofL fan! That is definitely different from what I normally hear, I still know so many UofL fans who think one or both are completely innocent. There's no way Rick didn't know about the strippers or the money. As for Jurich, yeah he was a great AD as far as moving all of their sports programs to the next level, but he was also pretty corrupt while doing it. The guy dipped into UofL Foundation funds, that are supposed to keep the school running, to buy a golf course for the school. Plus the corrupt school president on top of it, yet it was only Andre McGee who is responsible for ruining the reputation of the university.

Its a tough pill to swallow to many UofL fans because of how UofL is treated in KY. The state has arguably been the biggest hurdle to the school (and the city for that matter) since time immemorial. It was UK with its powerful BoT, rich and powerful alumni and legendary history that always got over and was the golden boy of the family. To see UofL, the perennial in-state underdog (well aside from WKU) rise from the ashes of the Denny Crum era and become not just a top mens/womens Bball school, but a competent football and baseball school sounded like a dream, too good to be true.

Turns out it was.

The worst poo poo of all is, IMO we didnt benefit from either scandal. Russ, Peyton, Luke, Gorgui, Wayne and crew win that 2013 title irregardless of who they were sleeping with. Laundering school moneys to recruits to placate Adidas only for sure got us Brian Bowen, who didnt play one minute. Every other impact player Rick got was seemingly just through hard nosed recruiting, as many of them were under the radar guys (speaking off ill always feel sorry for poor Damion Lee and Trey Lewis). If youre gonna cheat at least get something out of it like two vacated final fours at UMASS and Memphis.

• Locked thread