Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

We see Ross shoot down there fighters, one transport and ram through another transport.
But I believe that the scene shows about six or seven ships taking off.
The overall point I am making is while they don't address it, I think it's loose enough that they could decide that Wakandan weapons made it out into the world as a later plot point.
I mean I was convinced that was going to be the mid credits sting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Maybe but I think it's more likely that they'll stick with he shot them down off screen.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Question IRL posted:

We see Ross shoot down there fighters, one transport and ram through another transport.
But I believe that the scene shows about six or seven ships taking off.
The overall point I am making is while they don't address it, I think it's loose enough that they could decide that Wakandan weapons made it out into the world as a later plot point.
I mean I was convinced that was going to be the mid credits sting.

I thought this was pretty clear. He took out all three transports that were carrying weapons. He literally says so - telling Shuri that there is one more transport about to get away and then ramming his ship through it.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 20, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Not. One. Thing. Especially not a big deal like this. Maybe some independent films about Christian values or respectability politics or whatever Tyler Perry movies are like (I've never been)

One of the lowpoints I've seen is in the CinEd thread someone trotting the old slave justifying lie that black people were responsible for the slave trade. Nothing worse from supposed leftists hating on a black piece of art for being too corporate.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Shageletic posted:

One of the lowpoints I've seen is in the CinEd thread someone trotting the old slave justifying lie that black people were responsible for the slave trade. Nothing worse from supposed leftists hating on a black piece of art for being too corporate.

You've gotta be making GBS threads me. No one really said that did they?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've seen some articles that claim that the movie's some neoliberal vision of how people should help disenfranchised communities and it unfairly demonises the black liberation movement by having killmonger be the bad guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Further on the numbers for Black Panther: Black Panther has overtaken the FAILING Last Jedi for the second-biggest four-day opening weekend in America, with approx. $242m to TFLJ's $241m. It's still behind Force Awakens, but since that record ($288m) is probably out of reach of anything except maybe Infinity War at this point (and even that might be a stretch) it's basically the same as being first. :v: (:D)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"They did so well there's no way I could match them so really this should count as being the best" is solid logic I will make sure to use all the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

FAILING Last Jedi

Why the gently caress do you keep doing this?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Mohawk Potato posted:

Multiple people implied this because CineD spirals further and further into insanity with each MCU entry.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Rhyno posted:

People made fun of him for his armchair finances posts insisting that TLJ was going to underperform, so now he has to turn it into a posting gimmick.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 20, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I've seen some articles that claim that the movie's some neoliberal vision of how people should help disenfranchised communities and it unfairly demonises the black liberation movement by having killmonger be the bad guy.

The Root has a really good article debunking this poo poo called "Killmonger was wrong and y'all know it" phoneposting right now but everyone should read it.

Edit: grabbed it https://www.theroot.com/killmonger-was-wrong-and-ya-ll-know-it-1823134207

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Ever since I saw the movie/ listened to the album I've been getting super into music with afrofuturist themes/ sounds.

So not only was it a great film, with some great music, it's sent me off down this great musical rabbit hole leading into the world of contemporary African music as well.

here's a suggestion (anything the band puts out is amazing to me): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENoeHbjGAFA

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I don't know, it was a joke at first but it's become a bad habit at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know, it was a joke at first but it's become a bad habit at this point.

I like your posts dude but repeatedly doing this makes you look stupid. Like, just stop already.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mohawk Potato posted:

Kurzon posted:

It doesn't quite work out like that. The plot is T'Challa defending his throne from a usurper who is a long-lost relative (I didn't spoiler that because it should have been really loving obvious from the trailers and the fact that this is the laziest kind of plot for a superhero who is the heir to great power). So it's black people fighting other black people. What weirded me out about this movie is its perception of race relations in history. Killmonger asks why Wakanda didn't do anything to stop the Atlantic slave trade. I could have pointed out to him that most black slaves were captured by fellow blacks and sold to white slavers. Slaves were often captives taken in war or raids from rival tribes, and sold to white traders in exchange for firearms and other Western products. Black people do not all love each other. They are as riven by ethnicity as white people. Had Wakanda wanted to end the slave trade, it would have had to literally conquer and rule all of Africa to suppress the tribal warfare that supplied slaves to the whites. Another thing that annoyed me was Killmonger's plan. He wants to distribute vibranium weapons to all the black people in the world so that they can overthrow the white man. Problem is he attempts this immediately without first organizing a global political movement that would receive his weapons, for an army, and then impose a new order. Instead he just expects Wakandan agents in white-ruled countries to just do the job themselves. It's stupid as hell.

Not gonna step into that toxic stew but thar she blows

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

"They did so well there's no way I could match them so really this should count as being the best" is solid logic I will make sure to use all the time.

I use it whenever I arm wrestle.

I'm undefeated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RevolverDivider posted:

Multiple people implied this because CineD spirals further and further into insanity with each MCU entry.

I just stopped going to CineD when it was seriously posted "If you like superhero movies, you're a fascist". That and the fact they said the Truman Show was one of the greatest movies ever made.

Koalas March posted:

The Root has a really good article debunking this poo poo called "Killmonger was wrong and y'all know it" phoneposting right now but everyone should read it.

Edit: grabbed it https://www.theroot.com/killmonger-was-wrong-and-ya-ll-know-it-1823134207

A lot of white people are touting the article this is responding too showing how BP is bad and how Ross is really the main character, so black people are being hoodwinked into being proud and happy the movie exists.

Killmonger's basic thesis, Wakanda is being selfish by not helping oppressed black people outside of its boarders is correct, but his solution is just give everyone weapons and that seems to be it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Not gonna step into that toxic stew but thar she blows

:goonsay: the post

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Koalas March posted:

I'm no CineD Marvel hater, but this is a pretty lovely take that completely misses the point of the "Killmonger Was Right" meme by focusing primarily on his literal onscreen actions during the film. He's a fictional character written as the villain in a big-budget franchise superhero film; of course he's not "right" on a literal surface level, because the human beings who wrote the film chose to make his actions so thoroughly irredeemable.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aphrodite posted:

It's the basis of my sex life.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Shageletic posted:

here's a suggestion (anything the band puts out is amazing to me): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENoeHbjGAFA

Oh man, that's intensely cool.

Here's my (increasingly inaccurately titled) playlist, if anyone's interested. It's not just afrofuturist anymore, it's more "afrobeat, hip hop, funk, jazz and electronica from Africa and the diaspora, and also just kind of anything else vaguely related that caught my ear".

Edit: as a very white dude from New Zealand, I've got to go digging for a lot of this, and so probably have missed a bunch of great stuff so if there's any other recommendations people have (and it's not toooo off topic for the thread), hit me up.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 20, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like they say: Don't judge a man by his actions or intentions but instead this point you really want to make.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Broke another record yesterday beating out TFA for highest Monday gross, $40.2 million.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Barry Convex posted:

I'm no CineD Marvel hater, but this is a pretty lovely take that completely misses the point of the "Killmonger Was Right" meme by focusing primarily on his literal onscreen actions during the film. He's a fictional character written as the villain in a big-budget franchise superhero film; of course he's not "right" on a literal surface level, because the human beings who wrote the film chose to make his actions so thoroughly irredeemable.

*munches popcorn*

That's not why his actions were so thoroughly irredeemable

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

This thread elaborates more on the point I raised above. Don't completely agree with all of this, but it does explain why I find the Root article to be a pretty shallow, unconvincing rebuttal to leftist criticism of the film's politics.

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/965663896072749060

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

This thread elaborates more on the point I raised above. Don't completely agree with all of this, but it does explain why I find the Root article to be a pretty shallow, unconvincing rebuttal to leftist criticism of the film's politics.

Death of the Author??

Also most "leftist" film critiques are just yts and ankh niggas so they can both be disregarded.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Koalas March posted:

Death of the Author??

Also most "leftist" film critiques are just yts and ankh niggas so they can both be disregarded.

yts?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

whites. anytime a white person decides they need to lecture black folks on black culture and what's better for us they can almost immediately be disregarded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

whites. anytime a white person decides they need to lecture black folks on black culture and what's better for us they can almost immediately be disregarded.

You know, I have a healthy knowledge and appreciation of black culture (grew up in Gary, IN as one of like 6 white kids in my school) but seeing BP reminded me that I know fuckall of African culture. All the stuff you've been linking has been fascinating and I hope you keep sharing this stuff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Koalas March posted:

Oh, I figured it was an abbreviation for something.

Reminds me of when Wonder Woman came out and all the dudes in Cine D felt the need to lecture to women in the thread about how it wasn't actually inspirational to girls.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Roth posted:

Oh, I figured it was an abbreviation for something.

Reminds me of when Wonder Woman came out and all the dudes in Cine D felt the need to lecture to women in the thread about how it wasn't actually inspirational to girls.

One can certainly, say, point out that the film took pains to say absolutely nothing about gender roles or systemic sexism outside a few gags here and there without shaming people who liked it. I liked it too, but it's not particularly feminist on more than a "women can kick rear end too" representational level, which is a pretty remarkable feat given that the premise begs for more than that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wonder Woman isn't especially feminist, but a bunch of dudes telling women that they're wrong about what's inspiring to them is really never a good look.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

One can certainly, say, point out that the film took pains to say absolutely nothing about gender roles or systemic sexism outside a few gags here and there without shaming people who liked it. I liked it too, but it's not particularly feminist on more than a "women can kick rear end too" representational level, which is a pretty remarkable feat given that the premise begs for more than that.

He didn't say anything about it being feminist.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Roth posted:

Wonder Woman isn't especially feminist, but a bunch of dudes telling women that they're wrong about what's inspiring to them is really never a good look.

Oh, for sure. I just want to be clear that we're not conflating critical discussion of the politics of blockbuster superhero films with shaming people for liking them, because only the latter is bad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If nothing else I think it would be okay to just enjoy the first mostly-black blockbuster for a while, hand it all the Oscars, and then maybe start looking at all the ways it's imperfectly woke around, say, a year from now.

Especially because most of the hot takes coming out this week are either bad, or include enough bad stuff to fill space that it's hard for me to take the reasonable half of their arguments seriously.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Roth posted:

Yeah this. But replace dudes with white people and women with black folks.

Hoteps and ankh niggas were rooting for Killmonger because he wanted to rule through violence. They are highly patriarchal, and those black dudes you see screaming WE WAS KINGS AND QUEENS!! And are obsessed with ancient Egypt.

T'challa chose the more humanist route. But I think to really debate this, you need to have a lot of knowledge about black culture and history as well as our relationship to Africa, Africans, colorism and a whole mess of poo poo white folks (& even some black folks) aren't loving prepared for.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

cptn_dr posted:

as a very white dude from New Zealand, I've got to go digging for a lot of this, and so probably have missed a bunch of great stuff

You've got Space is the Place by Sun Ra on there, you're doing great.

I like Sabali by Amadou & Mariam and think it might fit your theme but you're miles ahead of me with that playlist.
https://youtu.be/RSQUs99tmkM

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/965665695710236674

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/965668651176259586

So then how are we supposed to judge a character's actions if not by his actions? How far are we supposed to peer into the views of the writers when debating the moralities of a character they've written?

Like I can debate about how Hannibal was actual a representation of the effete aesthete targeting the rich and those working in the punitive incarceration system, but in the end in the books he ate people. You can't get around the actions of a character without upending the very basis on which they exist and then falling into a land of half supposed theories about the motives of people you don't know.

Yeah, of course the greater narrative and cultural conversations the flow around the creation of a piece of art is important, but trying to justify the actions of a character in a piece while saying everything he did that was bad was b/c of the writers biases is hard for me to understand. The analysis of the creators behind a piece is interesting (and I think the basis of post modernism, but hell if I know what that exactly is), and has been useful in coming to terms with obvious pieces of propaganda like Birth of a Nation and the like, but I'm not trying to argue my way into saying one of laughably evil black militias in the original film are the secret heroes of the movie. I'm gonna argue the entire movie is trash instead, and you should look for your heroes elsewhere.

Either say that Black Panther is a worthless piece of propaganda, or champion the actions and events initiated by one of the characters, but I can't see how you can maintain both positions.

e: read the rest of the thread and its a collection of nonsense and anger, and him calling writers blerds?

e2: what is this

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/965703222580129795

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Maybe it's just me, but with Killmonger it really felt like T'Challa's interaction with him and learning the truth is what really turned him around on abandoning the isolationist policy of the previous kings. It felt very much like he took the good ideas that Erik was saying, while still rejecting the idea of arming black people around the world for a revolution that would see the children of the people in power murdered as well.

• Locked thread