Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

They were OP before they got errata/faq that made it so you can’t take a faction allegiance plus city allegiance at the same time. Same faq also removed the painting restrictions. I think there was enough confusion before the faq that everyone just passed on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mango sentinel posted:

Didn't the last GHB just depreciate all those bundle release rules?

Not really, they came after the GHB. GW did errata it so that you couldn't claim a city bonus and an allegiance bonus, which only makes sense.

As for power levels, they're kind of all over the place and kind of skew heavily on the Order side. An extra 2" of move to every unit in the army or removing an entire unit if they can't get 3" away from any of your units after a 6" move is kind of bonkers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Milotic posted:

Love the twist with Morathi.

It's not a super big twist. Morathi has never cared about Khaine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not really, they came after the GHB. GW did errata it so that you couldn't claim a city bonus and an allegiance bonus, which only makes sense.

As for power levels, they're kind of all over the place and kind of skew heavily on the Order side. An extra 2" of move to every unit in the army or removing an entire unit if they can't get 3" away from any of your units after a 6" move is kind of bonkers.

Plus the fact that Order got like 5 allegiances while everyone else got one.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Morathi will be 130 USD.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

Morathi will be 130 USD.

Ok so same as Alarielle

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok so same as Alarielle

Yep. Seems fine to me for what we're getting.

All the other week 1 model releases are repacks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

Yep. Seems fine to me for what we're getting.

All the other week 1 model releases are repacks.

Are we getting twice the Witch Elves for cheaper.

Out of curiosity were did you find the prices.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Are we getting twice the Witch Elves for cheaper.

Out of curiosity were did you find the prices.

Just a repack as far as I can tell, so no.

I am a super secret agent of the British government. They tell us these things. :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

Just a repack as far as I can tell, so no.

I am a super secret agent of the British government. They tell us these things. :v:

Witch Elves already had a Age of Sigmar pack. So that pack better be cheaper. Witch Elves are a notable bad deal.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Witch Elves already had a Age of Sigmar pack. So that pack better be cheaper. Witch Elves are a notable bad deal.

Same code, same MSRP. Doesn't mean there won't be more models, though, won't know for sure until preorders go up.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 20, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Yeah, I was looking at their box, and wondering why it's not $85, and doesn't have have one more leader.

... Anyone have good recipes for dark elf skin tones?

Edit: Jesus. This guy is good. https://youtu.be/yRpT2PjCrao

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 20, 2018

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Now I have the image of that army looking like the Heide Knights from Dark Souls 2 and I'm forever gonna be salty it doesn't exist.

Indeed. While I don't think "deathcasts" would be a good idea, I think part of why the idea had traction is that Death definitely has room for an armoured heavy-infantry style faction in the style of Stormcasts. Personally I'd love to see some kind of death knight faction. (Or possibly a re-imagined Tomb Kings centred around big-rear end scarab/scorpion/jackal/sphinx themed heavy units.)

MonsterEnvy posted:

After reading the justification for them being in GA order. I say it still does not work.

Yeah, were it not for all the other Dark Elves already being in Order I'd say there's basically nothing in their back story that wouldn't work better with the Daughters being in Destruction and using the endless warfare of the orcs as a convenient source of ritual slaughter and a vehicle for scouring the realms looking for shards of Khaine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Indeed. While I don't think "deathcasts" would be a good idea, I think part of why the idea had traction is that Death definitely has room for an armoured heavy-infantry style faction in the style of Stormcasts. Personally I'd love to see some kind of death knight faction. (Or possibly a re-imagined Tomb Kings centred around big-rear end scarab/scorpion/jackal/sphinx themed heavy units.)

Yeah, were it not for all the other Dark Elves already being in Order I'd say there's basically nothing in their back story that wouldn't work better with the Daughters being in Destruction and using the endless warfare of the orcs as a convenient source of ritual slaughter and a vehicle for scouring the realms looking for shards of Khaine.

It's why I say Dark Elves should just be shoved into their own GA and Call it shadows or darkness.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I've had the idea that Soulblight could easily become a Vampire heavy infantry faction. You'd just need a foot unit and for blood knights to not cost $100 for five models if GW wanted to be lazy, while they could have all sorts of vampire units if they really wanted to explore the concept.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Is there a standard size for objective markers?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's why I say Dark Elves should just be shoved into their own GA and Call it shadows or darkness.

The warring Grand Alliances of Order, Chaos, Destruction, Death, Shadows, Darkness, BADS, Drivers Who Don't Use Turn Signals, and Lootboxes.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Xarbala posted:

The warring Grand Alliances of Order, Chaos, Destruction, Death, Shadows, Darkness, BADS, Drivers Who Don't Use Turn Signals, and Lootboxes.

Personally I can't see why Order and Chaos don't ally with each other to defeat the far greater evil of Lootboxes

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Danimo posted:

They were OP before they got errata/faq that made it so you can’t take a faction allegiance plus city allegiance at the same time. Same faq also removed the painting restrictions. I think there was enough confusion before the faq that everyone just passed on it.

Painting restrictions?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

S.J. posted:

Is there a standard size for objective markers?

Poker chip size tokens are the usual thing but control is always measured from the center so you can use anything.

Luminaflare posted:

Painting restrictions?

The Firestorm book says you have to be painted in the city’s colors to take the allegiance.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Danimo posted:

Poker chip size tokens are the usual thing but control is always measured from the center so you can use anything.

The Firestorm book says you have to be painted in the city’s colors to take the allegiance.

They errata'd that so you can use the allegiance ability as long as you aren't painted in another city's official scheme.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Morathi preview is up;
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/20/daughters-khaine-part-2-morathi-shadow-queen/

Human form is -1 to be hit and can have up to two units make a shooting attack or melee attack in the hero phase.

Snake form is a close combat beast

Both forms can only take 3 wounds per turn, after that all wounds are negated.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

If nothing else Morathi is going to be crushing the casual tables where everybody charges and usually dies by round 3.

This also seems rough for Death. A better Deathless Minions for DoK and if a Death player doesn’t bring Nagash or a lot of wizard/deep strike stuff they probably just can’t kill Morathi

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just did the math on how much a Daughters of Khaine army currently costs. Yikes. Why are Witch Elves $60? Just because people will pay extra for half nude models?

Back to my Sylvaneth assembly and painting I go! Getting the Kurnoth Hunters put together is helping me build my motivation.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Daughters of Khaine really would benefit from a start collecting box

Blood Cauldron, Witch Elves and some elite unite for $85 would make it pretty painless to get a collection together

S.J.
May 19, 2008

dexefiend posted:

I just did the math on how much a Daughters of Khaine army currently costs. Yikes. Why are Witch Elves $60? Just because people will pay extra for half nude models?

Back to my Sylvaneth assembly and painting I go! Getting the Kurnoth Hunters put together is helping me build my motivation.

There's no reason not to buy the witch/cauldron bundle, yeah. Even when the Witches got resculpted back in WHFB everyone was shocked at how much it cost to buy 10 super fragile infantry models that you'd need a bunch of.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well there's this;

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Daughters-of-Khaine-Blood-Coven

Most places are selling it for $85 online and it comes with exactly what you're looking for. The witch elves go for so much because they were released at the zenith of old GW.

If DoK follows the pattern of their recent releases they'll have their own Start Collecting box around Christmas. It sucks but it's standard marketing. Don't discount your product right out the gate.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
GW always priced models by troop type. 10 Special infantry were always more than 10 Troops, regardless of model quality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This justification completely fell apart when special / rare troops stopped being a thing, but what can you do.

Wouldn't mind seeing them repackaged though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well there's this;

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Daughters-of-Khaine-Blood-Coven

Most places are selling it for $85 online and it comes with exactly what you're looking for. The witch elves go for so much because they were released at the zenith of old GW.

If DoK follows the pattern of their recent releases they'll have their own Start Collecting box around Christmas. It sucks but it's standard marketing. Don't discount your product right out the gate.

I hadn't realized this before but that shrine model might be super good value now that you can make iron avatars of khaine out of the statue

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

This justification completely fell apart when special / rare troops stopped being a thing, but what can you do.

Wouldn't mind seeing them repackaged though.

Especially when the 2013 army book that released alongside the witches made them troops. They had an alternate special build, no one ever used that choice.

I think might be what finally pushes me into buying some of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M...KjLL&ref=plSrch from Amazon and try to make duplicates of the common pieces to squeeze a little extra from the dual kits.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 20, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I hadn't realized this before but that shrine model might be super good value now that you can make iron avatars of khaine out of the statue

Yeah you get the medusa, shrine, and iron avatar, plus witches. It's a good box.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dexefiend posted:

The Witch Elves are supposed to be being repackaged so something may change with them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I am assuming Bloodwrack Medusa's will get their rules back too.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

S.J. posted:

Yeah you get the medusa, shrine, and iron avatar, plus witches. It's a good box.
and up to 2 Blood Hags

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 20, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What book do you need to start playing this with the actual tournament rules and stuff? The last I paid attention to this game it was a big joke and had rules about like pretending to ride a horse to get a to hit bonus, but I just found out a bunch of my friends started playing and I wouldn't mind getting into a miniatures game again if its pretty low impact.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I have a week to get ready to fight an ogre player. I'm not 100% on the points limit yet but I don't even have a full battleline so that's fun. I have heard horror stories about how effective Gutbusters are, so how do I stand up to them? Is dropping the Paladin hammer on them a must?

fadam posted:

What book do you need to start playing this with the actual tournament rules and stuff? The last I paid attention to this game it was a big joke and had rules about like pretending to ride a horse to get a to hit bonus, but I just found out a bunch of my friends started playing and I wouldn't mind getting into a miniatures game again if its pretty low impact.

Genera's Handbook 2017 provides matched play rules. You should also pick up the battletome of your faction of choice to get their allegiance abilities and relics and other cool stuff. You can get it for a laughable discount through the app if you don't feel like lugging books around.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 20, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are any of the factions big losers? Is there a site that collects winning army lists like Discount Games Inc for WHFB or the MTG mothership? I always like having a baseline to see what's good.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 20, 2018

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

fadam posted:

Are any of the factions big losers? Is there a site that collects winning army lists like Discount Games Inc for WHFB or the MTG mothership? I always like having a baseline to see what's good.

You can poke around The Grand Alliance forums for lists and people posting the winningest ones (http://www.tga.community) but netlisting isn’t that big of a thing.

Stormcast and Tzeentch have been consistently good for a while, and Death has been poor for a while but just got a new Battletome so jury’s out.

IMO it’s always best to go with what you think looks and plays cool unless you are committed to being a competitive tournament player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

fadam posted:

I'm not super into the tournament scene so I couldn't tell you what's hot or where to find lists, only what I've picked up occasionally. Sylvaneth suffers from a small roster list and underwhelming abilities right now so they aren't great. Tzeench puts out a lot of mortal wounds and the steampunk dwarves tend to shoot things off the table real good. Mixed Order lists tend to place highly and win a lot.

• Locked thread