Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Made it to the summit. Somewhere around 1,600 deaths -- 650+ on the last level alone. Didn't pick up very many strawberries as I was more gripped with the plot than the platforming by about halfway through.

Seriously, even without the B-Sides I think that's the hardest drat game I've beaten since... I dunno maybe Contra. I'll probably give the harder stuff a miss and watch them on Youtube.

What I'd really like at the end is a replay of all your quickest runs through each room stitched together in one super-badass replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

It'd be cool if the dev had a heatmap of deaths for the entire game so you could see which rooms were the absolute worst for the playtesters

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Tax Inductions posted:

I beat 7C yesterday.. that final screen killed me like 400 times. Felt amazing to finish though! I think a patch must have made that screen harder at some point recently. I've seen a lot of videos where at the halfway point of the final screen people were able to just double-dash over the section where it wants you to do a super-walljump on a tiny block. For me there was a big wall of spikes blocking that route off.

All that's left now is 3C and 8C... wonder if I can really pull it off.

I didn't do any wall jumps in the 7C end (on switch) so I'm not sure if it's the same. At least you can rest easy knowing 8C isn't nearly as hard.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Kiranamos posted:

I didn't do any wall jumps in the 7C end (on switch) so I'm not sure if it's the same.

Just to demonstrate what I mean, here's one of the vids I'm talking about (18-20s in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgRTbXQ_5Io&t=18s

And here's what I had instead: (15s in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GslyXg7DrkY&t=15s

That part wasn't so bad though, the real killer was that spiky hell right at the end, I don't think that has changed.

Kiranamos posted:

At least you can rest easy knowing 8C isn't nearly as hard.

No kidding. I had about 1/4 of the deaths in 8C that I did in 7C. I think 8C might even have been easier than 8A and 8B, just because it doesn't have those fireballs / icebulbs that I have so much trouble with.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tax Inductions posted:

Just to demonstrate what I mean, here's one of the vids I'm talking about (18-20s in):

That part wasn't so bad though, the real killer was that spiky hell right at the end, I don't think that has changed.

No kidding. I had about 1/4 of the deaths in 8C that I did in 7C. I think 8C might even have been easier than 8A and 8B, just because it doesn't have those fireballs / icebulbs that I have so much trouble with.

Holy poo poo, that's evil that they patched that in. I'm glad I beat it before that hit the switch version lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Makes sense, that jump was clearly meant to require wall jumping but seems that they forgot to account for the fact that a player could just dash up and right a bit earlier.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I just finished 8C, but the game crashed. Is there a special cut-scene or anything that I missed, or does it just go back to the level-select screen?

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

I just finished 8C, but the game crashed. Is there a special cut-scene or anything that I missed, or does it just go back to the level-select screen?

There's no cutscene, but you should have gotten the 'Thanks for Playing' achievement.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tax Inductions posted:

I'm watching both vids and all I can think of is "Am I the only one that went through the hole in the bottom instead of going above the spikes*?"

EDIT: * Not during the part that was patched, the jump after - I go through that small hole in the bottom and then dash up to catch the spring.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 18, 2018

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i didn't know you could go over it even before the patch and did it the normal way and boy was that fuckin rough

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Artelier posted:

I'm watching both vids and all I can think of is "Am I the only one that went through the hole in the bottom instead of going above the spikes?"

You are not. It never even occured to me to do it any other way.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I noticed that hole and realized it would be possible to go through there but I was already used to taking the top and had an almost perfect track record of not loving up that section so I just stuck with my route.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Artelier posted:

I'm watching both vids and all I can think of is "Am I the only one that went through the hole in the bottom instead of going above the spikes*?"

EDIT: * Not during the part that was patched, the jump after - I go through that small hole in the bottom and then dash up to catch the spring.

I saw it, but it seemed like it would be much more difficult than just going over, so I never tried.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that spike wall being there probably quadrupled the amount of time I spent on 7c

anyway I finally beat the game in under an hour! I'm free at last because I'm not insane enough to try for a faster time

also gently caress everything about that goddamn resort

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Tetracube posted:

also gently caress everything about that goddamn resort

i agree lol

it doesn't matter how good you get that stage is always just Some Bullshit

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
loving finally finished 7C. Took forever. Hey, at least the death count is an even number...

And for some reason I didn't realize 8C was also an actual level. Going to need a break for a few days before I tackle that I think.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I beat it! hooray!

fantastic game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I dont understand this tutorial on the summit B side

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Here's a much better one because the Switch version has a really bad one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Argona posted:

I beat it! hooray!

fantastic game.

It feels kinda weird that you didn't collect all regular strawberries.
Don't you want to impress your friends?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Done and DONE. I am never 100%ing this game without turning on Assist, and I am fine with that. gently caress no I'm not touching the Golden Strawberries; I don't think I'll be opening this again until Celeste Maker becomes real.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
gently caress this game.

No assist.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i agree lol

it doesn't matter how good you get that stage is always just Some Bullshit

I think the resort is fine, the cycles are extremely consistent and set up to be in your favor if you start moving immediately

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
What does assist mode do exactly? I think I can golden strawberry the A and C sides , but no way in hell I'll be able to do the b sides without some kind of help.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

What does assist mode do? I never turned it on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Assist mode is an extra options menu that lets you toggle stuff like infinite dashes, slowing down the game by incremental percents, and so on. It's basically a cheat menu designed for people who aren't skilled enough to beat certain stuff but still want to see the whole game, or those who are straight up incapable because of disabilities or similar.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

More like Chump Mode, am I right fellas? #hardcore #gamer

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It also permanently marks your file as having used it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

pumpinglemma posted:

Not anymore as of 1.2.0.0

Yeah you get slow down, unlimited stamina b unlimited dashes, invincibility and the ability to just straight up skip chapters on the menu.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SeXReX posted:

Not anymore as of 1.2.0.0

Yeah you get slow down, unlimited stamina b unlimited dashes, invincibility and the ability to just straight up skip chapters on the menu.

Well, seems kinda contrary to the game's theme of "you can do this!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

pumpinglemma posted:

It only does this while you have options in the menu turned on, if you turn them off again the stamp will go away.

edit: Oh, used to be that way though apparently.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, seems kinda contrary to the game's theme of "you can do this!"

Did you ignore the popup when you first started the game that said "You can do this! But we recognize that if you actually can't do this, we have ways to make it so you can do this"?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Did you ignore the popup when you first started the game that said "You can do this! But we recognize that if you actually can't do this, we have ways to make it so you can do this"?

I absolutely ignored it, because I CAN DO THIS!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well some people need a little help doing this!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The power is in there. But the game doesn't judge you for using all of your available resources.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 20, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

The power is in there. But the game doesn't judge you for using all of your available resources.

I judge myself.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

THIS is actually the point.

The mountain is a special place and different people get different things out of it. Some will feel accomplished having finished with assist mode, some won't. What's important is not letting someone else define your own self-worth and sense of accomplishment.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 21, 2018

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

SeXReX posted:

THIS is actually the point.

The mountain is a special place and different people get different things out of it. Some will feel accomplished having finished with assist mode, some won't. What's important is not letting someone else define your own self-worth and sense of accomplishment.

there is a depressing and staggeringly large amount of people who beat the whole thing and are quite good at it while totally missing this part of the narrative and it makes me want to die

it's not even subtle

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Madeline even says "we'll try, and if we fail...that's okay, too"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

there is a depressing and staggeringly large amount of people who beat the whole thing and are quite good at it while totally missing this part of the narrative and it makes me want to die

it's not even subtle

Like who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Like who

nobody in this thread really but just sort of around

you know

Gamers.