Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Is there a name for when people complain about an actor's real accent sounding fake or unrealistic? Because it happens way too often for there not to be.

just call it the vanille effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

I feel like an rear end in a top hat for saying this as I love Falcom and Trails in the Sky and Ys but Cold Steel is pretty bad. I just started CS2 and got hit really hard with the I Don't Care About These People Syndrome.

In terms of writing CS repeats most of the bad stuff from Sky (sister-adopted brother romance, wtf) and makes the rest of it blander. The cast are paper thin, nearly all of them are just new school anime archetypes. Nothing happens for 95% of CS1 and the stuff that does comes off as unearned and out of the blue. Can't shake off the feeling that they lost lots of money on moving the series to 3D and the writing suffered because of it.

I do appreciate the streamlined gameplay but holy poo poo do I not care for playing through 4 Cold Steel games when I'm tired at the beginning of the second one.

The most tedious part of Trails in the Sky was when you had to faff around in the school, so naturally they had to turn it into a whole game.

It also suffers greatly from none of the party members being Olivert in disguise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've beaten Gun now. It's alright. I still think my personal favourite Neversoft game is Tony Hawk's American Wasteland though, because that game accidentally does some neat thematic stuff w/r/t it's whole "gently caress the Man" aesthetic. The final boss was pretty crap to play but the ending was nice enough although short, and the music overall is alright spaghetti western fare.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So I’m going through Dark Souls 3 again because I just got the DLC, and I figured I’d clean up some trophies while I was at it. To get the collect all sorceries, pyromancies, and miracles, I now need to either grind potentially hundreds of mobs, or ram my face against the PvP, which I am not good at. Just because 3 covenants have 1 of each spell type.

I don't know if they've fixed it but when I played PvP wasn't even a realistic option for 3 of the covenants because they worked so poorly. You'd have to wait hours for a single hit, and then you might not even win and get a token.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't know if they've fixed it but when I played PvP wasn't even a realistic option for 3 of the covenants because they worked so poorly. You'd have to wait hours for a single hit, and then you might not even win and get a token.

I got hits on Aldrich Faithful 4 times in 2 hours last night.

I lost all 4 times.

And the Farron Watchdogs sure as gently caress works considering how often I got invaded in the Crucifixion Woods. The lovely one is going to be Mound-makers, because I'm going to need THIRTY tokens. I can't even pretend that that's going to be fun, as apparently it's about a 1% drop rate for the item from the specific mob that can drop it, IF your item find is jacked up high. The other option is invading and losing more. I'll be doing that one last.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I lost all 4 times.

And the Farron Watchdogs sure as gently caress works considering how often I got invaded in the Crucifixion Woods. The lovely one is going to be Mound-makers, because I'm going to need THIRTY tokens. I can't even pretend that that's going to be fun, as apparently it's about a 1% drop rate for the item from the specific mob that can drop it, IF your item find is jacked up high. The other option is invading and losing more. I'll be doing that one last.

For Mound Makers you can just invade people and kill them like the vanilla PvP covenant. I think it plays slightly differently, like red phantoms are hostile to you and you can also "win" by killing a few phantoms instead of the host.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Qwertycoatl posted:

The most tedious part of Trails in the Sky was when you had to faff around in the school, so naturally they had to turn it into a whole game.

It also suffers greatly from none of the party members being Olivert in disguise.

I mean, I understand why they did that. School stuff sells in Japan, Persona is a huge hit so they even added it to Tokyo Xanadu (didn't play that one yet). But it just didn't work. CS felt so much smaller and repetitive than Sky. In the latter I felt I knew all the towns and people, remembered their problems and the music. In CS2 I'm told that I'm going to Celdic and I'm wondering which town was it again. There isn't even a map I can check.

Olivier is a good example of how characters are handled in CS, actually. He completely vanilla, Mueller rarely shows up and when he does there's little interaction between them. But there are lots of unnecessary explanations at all times like I really need to know why a cat can talk.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Moon Monster posted:

For Mound Makers you can just invade people and kill them like the vanilla PvP covenant

I'm aware. The issue is I loving suck at, and therefore hate, Dark Souls PvP. I don't enjoy PvP in general, really. I spent my Embered PvE time with Way of Blue so I'd get help when invaded. But I'd really like to get the last 4 trophies I need, and for that I need 10 human dregs, 30 sunlight medals (which can be gotten via JOLLY CO-OPERATION!), and 30 vertebrae shackles, which can only be through PvP, or the really super-low rate drops from specific skeletons in the Catacombs of Carthus.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

While we're on Souls games PvP, Demon's Souls PvP really sucks. You can hold a huge stock of healing items, so if you're evenly matched or at higher levels fights become a neverending battle of attrition.

Though I guess this'll be academic in a week's time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

While we're on Souls games PvP, Demon's Souls PvP really sucks. You can hold a huge stock of healing items, so if you're evenly matched or at higher levels fights become a neverending battle of attrition.

The games been out for 10 years I would assume the pvp is full of two types of people: those who waited ten years to play it and are just now experiencing it and people using incredibly broken builds to fight each other/torment the new players.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Terminally Bored posted:

I mean, I understand why they did that. School stuff sells in Japan, Persona is a huge hit so they even added it to Tokyo Xanadu (didn't play that one yet). But it just didn't work. CS felt so much smaller and repetitive than Sky. In the latter I felt I knew all the towns and people, remembered their problems and the music. In CS2 I'm told that I'm going to Celdic and I'm wondering which town was it again. There isn't even a map I can check.

Olivier is a good example of how characters are handled in CS, actually. He completely vanilla, Mueller rarely shows up and when he does there's little interaction between them. But there are lots of unnecessary explanations at all times like I really need to know why a cat can talk.

CS2 starting not-in-a-highschool instantly made me like it about twice as much, and I think they have improved most aspects of the game. But I agree it doesn't hold a candle to Trails in the Sky. Sky did interesting things with the writing and the anime tropes, but CS just wallows in those tropes with nothing to make them compelling or captivating. It's like Sky was CS's cool uncle who can skip a rock on a pond 10 times, and when CS tried, it just went under in one with a big "bloop" (at least so far).

I'm still a fanboy for the series tho :3:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Trails in the Sky also has that genuine banger of a battle theme. Nothing in Cold Steel’s OST approaches the smoothness of Sophisticated Fight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The first game had the same issue. Humanity had a full health restore on use so, of course, everyone would stand around screaming about how they only wanted fair perfect honor duels. But the second you avoided their backstab fishing bullshit and hit them the'd run away and use one of their 99 humanities.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm aware. The issue is I loving suck at, and therefore hate, Dark Souls PvP. I don't enjoy PvP in general, really. I spent my Embered PvE time with Way of Blue so I'd get help when invaded. But I'd really like to get the last 4 trophies I need, and for that I need 10 human dregs, 30 sunlight medals (which can be gotten via JOLLY CO-OPERATION!), and 30 vertebrae shackles, which can only be through PvP, or the really super-low rate drops from specific skeletons in the Catacombs of Carthus.

If you're playing on PC just cheat. It's very easy to just use cheat engine to alter the number of items you have, turn them in and no worries. You won't get banned or anything - I've done it half a dozen times because gently caress farming sword grass.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

If you're playing on PC just cheat. It's very easy to just use cheat engine to alter the number of items you have, turn them in and no worries. You won't get banned or anything - I've done it half a dozen times because gently caress farming sword grass.

PS4. Also, I’d thought the Symbol of Averice was a guaranteed drop if you killed all the mimics, but apparently not. That’s fine. Farming is... fine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Syndicate (2012) is such a frustrating B+ of a game. The production values are nice, but anything that isn't a semi-freeform combat arena where you can shoot and hack and do whatever is mediocre at best, frustrating garbage at worst (ie, all of the boss fights). The skill tree makes no sense, full of dud skills that would never be worth spending your very finite points on (ammo capacity...in a modern linear shooter) and a small handful of skills that are incredibly useful almost entirely because they take some of the rough edges off the crappier sections of the game. Like for instance, taking one or more of the survivability options because damage feedback is terrible and it feels like you drop dead at 25% HP compared to other shooters.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Feb 21, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

PS4. Also, I’d thought the Symbol of Averice was a guaranteed drop if you killed all the mimics, but apparently not. That’s fine. Farming is... fine.

You might have missed one? You kind of have to use lloyd's talismans on them if you want it with any reliability.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It is, so you missed one somewhere apparently.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A bit of an update on Secret of Mana - Tried it again after a patch and didn't notice anything wrong except again slow damage registered when the enemy is debuffed.

Also man, the difficulty really picks up once you reach the Upper Lands!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Did you kill the one at the end of the hallway? Lots of people miss that one.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

A bit of an update on Secret of Mana - Tried it again after a patch and didn't notice anything wrong except again slow damage registered when the enemy is debuffed.

Also man, the difficulty really picks up once you reach the Upper Lands!

Do you know if they changed targeting at all? I was trying to play the game on an emulator a few years ago and I remember getting really annoyed about how hard it was to hit enemies with the boomerang. Like, I'd always be slightly to high or too low on screen, so I'd miss all the time.

Gerblyn has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Feb 21, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Do you know if they changed targeting at all? I was trying to play the game on an emulator a few years ago and I remember getting really annoyed about how hard it was to hit enemies with the boomerang. Like, I'd always be slightly to high or too low on screen, so I'd miss all the time.

Ranged weapons are still pretty bad sadly, except the Javelin because it pierces and doesn't have a long-rear end animation.

e: oh, but they are easier to aim with since you can attack diagonally and there's a bit of aim assist.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

You might have missed one? You kind of have to use lloyd's talismans on them if you want it with any reliability.

Yardbomb posted:

It is, so you missed one somewhere apparently.

I visited all the locations of ones where I didn't have the drop on me, so I guess it dropped from one and I just didn't see it. gently caress I hope it's still at the location of one of the others.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I lost all 4 times.

It's even easier than invading. Have a friend summon you over and over as a Purple and let him just jump off a cliff. Easiest to do at the Undead Settlement bonfire. You can rack up 3 for both players in a little over an hour.

I have done this with a coupla people from the DS3 thread. Post in there asking, or if you're on PS4, have someone invite you to the group chat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I visited all the locations of ones where I didn't have the drop on me, so I guess it dropped from one and I just didn't see it. gently caress I hope it's still at the location of one of the others.

If you really want one you can probably convince someone either in the topic in games, or on reddit (there's a trading subreddit) to give you one. Most people get it and literally never use it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Just played through the campaign of Titanfall 2 because everyone said it was amazing. It was super short which is okay, but the real thing dragging it down was every time I had to get in the Titan. Wowee, here's some of the most fun and fluid movement in an fps, how about a bunch of sections where you trudge around in a mech suit and wait for your abilities to cooldown?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Olive! posted:

Just played through the campaign of Titanfall 2 because everyone said it was amazing. It was super short which is okay, but the real thing dragging it down was every time I had to get in the Titan. Wowee, here's some of the most fun and fluid movement in an fps, how about a bunch of sections where you trudge around in a mech suit and wait for your abilities to cooldown?

I would pay a full 60 for Respawn to make another FPS that is just you on foot with all that amazing fluid combat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hot take: Titan combat in TF2 is fun but has a huge learning curve compared to the on-foot stuff, which is so fluid and intuitive that it's jarring going to other games afterwards.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just wish they made better use of the on foot stuff. It's fluid and fun but so many of the arenas are just square rooms with waist high walls. It feels like they made a map for a regular boring rear end modern FPS then created the movement tech, but never went back to change the maps. campaign is still great though.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I guess my thing dragging down the Titanfall series is the playerbase. Like the concept and execution of how you interact with a level completely changing depending on if you’re a pilot or a Titan is so loving sick, but actually the game sucks because there are only 8 guns.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

Hot take: Titan combat in TF2 is fun but has a huge learning curve compared to the on-foot stuff, which is so fluid and intuitive that it's jarring going to other games afterwards.

From what I’ve played so far this is pretty true. It’s slower and less mobile, but the Titan has the benefit of infinite ammo and varied loadouts, plus you get to fight meatier and better armed enemies. It’s almost like a CoD-ified Mechwarrior.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I pity the player who can't enjoy some Tone in frontier defense

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

After all the glowing praise I was a bit let down by Titanfall 2's campaign too. The robot sections are a bit crap and the aesthetics are really generic. Movement is fun though, I wish there was more tricky stuff to do with it and less shooting.

Plus the one cool gimmick level was kinda spoiled by Dishonored 2 doing the exact same thing much more successfully.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

After all the glowing praise I was a bit let down by Titanfall 2's campaign too. The robot sections are a bit crap and the aesthetics are really generic. Movement is fun though, I wish there was more tricky stuff to do with it and less shooting.

Plus the one cool gimmick level was kinda spoiled by Dishonored 2 doing the exact same thing much more successfully.

Yeah it was a bit of a letdown after seeing people ask 'is it worth $10?' and a bunch of people responding 'definitely, it's even worth $60+'. I would actually be pretty disappointed if I spent more than $10 on it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Infamous: Second Son is so laughably short that about half of the game is summed up on wikipedia as "Delsin meets two conduits, gains their power, and either corrupts them or saves them." The other half is that you storm a tower, your brother dies, and you fight concrete lady. the end. if you count all of the useless, repetitive diversions, it's like three times as long as the story. the enemies keep ramping up how many spawn at a time, their dps, and the APCs will get a mini turret that shreds through you. it's a very annoying game that has such great movement, which the game does nothing with. The powers are so interesting and fun to play around with, but after a point you realize you've beaten the game and there's really no point in playing further, if you aren't the kind of person to complete the liberation garbage in a game with that, before doing a good chunk of the story.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

Infamous: Second Son is so laughably short that about half of the game is summed up on wikipedia as "Delsin meets two conduits, gains their power, and either corrupts them or saves them." The other half is that you storm a tower, your brother dies, and you fight concrete lady. the end. if you count all of the useless, repetitive diversions, it's like three times as long as the story. the enemies keep ramping up how many spawn at a time, their dps, and the APCs will get a mini turret that shreds through you. it's a very annoying game that has such great movement, which the game does nothing with. The powers are so interesting and fun to play around with, but after a point you realize you've beaten the game and there's really no point in playing further, if you aren't the kind of person to complete the liberation garbage in a game with that, before doing a good chunk of the story.
They stuck all the actual interesting (compared to what the game gives you) story behind the ARG.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't beaten Second Son (I got it from a buddy when I didn't have internet for a while - when the revolution comes, the people who require always-on connections for single-player campaigns should be first against the wall) but it gets points from me just for keeping that second spoiler out of the way until the endgame. I really expected it to happen between the intro area and the actual game, where you're jumping along the busted up freeway, for some cheap sympathy points.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Got started with NieR: Automata, and it's definitely dragging a little after the stellar opening moments. Everything from Tutorial to Amusement Park has been pretty great overall. But now the game has tossed the first proper open world sidequesting segment at me, and they've failed to make most of the stuff interesting. Just a bunch of "Gather 10 Boar butts" quests on a large map with limited fast travel options.

I just wanna get back to the story and cool bosses. :argh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Attestant posted:

Got started with NieR: Automata, and it's definitely dragging a little after the stellar opening moments. Everything from Tutorial to Amusement Park has been pretty great overall. But now the game has tossed the first proper open world sidequesting segment at me, and they've failed to make most of the stuff interesting. Just a bunch of "Gather 10 Boar butts" quests on a large map with limited fast travel options.

I think I did like 8% of the side-quests in Automata.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Attestant posted:

Have you unlocked the fast travel between save points yet?

Or you could just save all the sidequests you can't be bothered with until NG+++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Always remember, Yoko Taro hates people who do sidequests, with a passion.