Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I was always a Nurgle guy, any reason to avoid them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

fadam posted:

I was always a Nurgle guy, any reason to avoid them?

They got a brand new Battletome as of January with an interesting mechanic and lots of new gorgeous models this year and ones from the End Times two years ago as well. So fill your boots.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've had the Stormcast from the starter set sitting unassembled for like a year at this point because I've never found a paint scheme I particularly care for. I'm considering doing an Imperial Fists style yellow for the challenge- has anyone seen something similar?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
While Netlisting isn't a huge issue there are still some. Skyfire spam and Kroaknado are absolutely "I'll never play this person again" lists for certain armies without hard counters.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
How are Legions of Nagash? Specifically, if anyone can say, how is Arkhan the Black and the Legion of Sacrament? A friend's getting into AoS from 40k, and I'd be interested in running a Skeleton Warrior-heavy, Tomb Kings-inspired list, using cheap Mantic 'Empires of Dust' models to mass a lot of egyptian-looking skeles on the relatively cheap. i'd be trying to run the Lords of the Sacrament warscroll, which is Arkhan, a Mortis Engine and two Necromancers, as the heart of my army, with the rest of it coming from the Deathrattle and Soulblight sections of the Legions of Nagash list. How viable is Arkhan's nerd army in AoS?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It looks pretty good so far from early reports. Hugely resilient, grinds out attrition victories unlike any other Army.

The strongest list might be Nagash with the first cohort.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
New Malign Portents story.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Good subversion of expectation there.

Everyone thought it was the undead when it really was the skaven making them think it was the undead.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TKIY posted:

It looks pretty good so far from early reports. Hugely resilient, grinds out attrition victories unlike any other Army.

I'm kind of wondering what a maggotkin vs LoN game looks like, everything being horrifyingly resilient while being healed by big burly heroes.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TKIY posted:

and how viable is it against the #kroaknado? My main opponent would/will definitely be running kroak on a balewind vortex, with the seraphan battalion that lets him summon saurus units without having to roll

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Kroaknado is a real poo poo thing to do in a casual game and Death’s reliance on melee and spells would make it hard to deal with

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Explain Kroaknado to me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Snake Elves preview.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/21/daughters-of-khaine-preview-part-3-the-melusaigw-homepage-post-3/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

Explain Kroaknado to me

From the look of it. It's putting one of these in your army and having Kroak summon it.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-Balewind-Vortex-ENG.pdf

Pretty much it buffs his magic and it prevents him from being targeted in Melee.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 21, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

S.J. posted:

Explain Kroaknado to me

You put your tubby frog https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Seraphon-Lord-Kroak on a balewind vortex https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Balewind-vortex-2016 making him immune to melee. He gets bonuses to his already powerful casting ability and is almost impossible to remove with just shooting.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Someone needs to make a Lord Kroak on the end of a power drill, and have him spin the entire game.

Them snake ladies look great. I am going to have to pick rear end assembling/painting my dudes before they come out. (Or just wait for a Christmas deal box.)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Kroaknado is also the only model in the game that has a 'ignores abilities that remove the model' as well, so even Hand of Dust can't nuke him. He's got Bravery 10, auto-heals full wounds every turn. He's a loving bitch.

My best bet for death it going to be a combo of Amethystine Orb, some bravery debuffs, Terrorgheist shriek and an arcane bolt/vile transference combo. Nagash should be able to kill him, otherwise death has healing all over so maybe ignore him and win objectives.

The real solution is to make Kroak a monster and then he can't go on the Balewind. That or nerf the Balewind, it's way too good and it's a ton of top lists for a reason.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 21, 2018

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Kroak being able to get on the Vortex is dumb but the vortex does need a nerf. Tzeentch wizards throwing buckets of mortal wounds on you from 3 feet away is no good (though at least they have the courtesy to actually die sometimes)

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it he was just hard to kill it wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't dealing 3d3 MW to everything within 18" every turn, plus comet.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Behold my painting plus a conversion of a Grandhammer I made from the easy build guys. I hosed up layering the script on the Relictor so I'm gonna have to shade that back in but I'm pretty happy overall. Just the rock and base to do now!

And then three prosecutors, 6 Liberators and an Ordinator :negative:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

Behold my painting plus a conversion of a Grandhammer I made from the easy build guys. I hosed up layering the script on the Relictor so I'm gonna have to shade that back in but I'm pretty happy overall. Just the rock and base to do now!

And then three prosecutors, 6 Liberators and an Ordinator :negative:

That silver makes Stormcasts look WAY better than the studio paintjob.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

AnEdgelord posted:

That silver makes Stormcasts look WAY better than the studio paintjob.

Stormcasts are weird in that they look better in literally any scheme that isn't the studio gold/blue.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah and it's piss easy to spray silver or paint leadbelcher and then nuln oil it so it's real baffling they stick with a ton of gold everywhere. Hell, even if they broke up the mass with more of different colours it'd look way better.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
6 Scythes and 6 Bows for Kurnoth Hunters? Is that the best build (for 4 boxes)?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
so what's the must-have for Death other than Nagash? I don't want him, I want to build my Death list around Arkhan and his Legion of Sacrament. Don't really want the other Mortarchs either. Within those bounds, what on the Legions of Nagash list or collection would I be stupid not to have at least one of? I'm definitely getting a mortis engine, two necros, and a pile of skeletons in addition to Arkhan, everything else is open at this point

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

zeal posted:

so what's the must-have for Death other than Nagash? I don't want him, I want to build my Death list around Arkhan and his Legion of Sacrament. Don't really want the other Mortarchs either. Within those bounds, what on the Legions of Nagash list or collection would I be stupid not to have at least one of? I'm definitely getting a mortis engine, two necros, and a pile of skeletons in addition to Arkhan, everything else is open at this point

I've not an authority on this but people seem to be talking a lot about spamming necromancers

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

zeal posted:

For Arkhan I recomend this route. Get start collecting Skeletons, So you can get Arkhan. Build the Calvary as Black Knights or Hex Wraiths whatever you prefer. After this Start Collecting Maligants is a good choice, You get the Mortis Engine Arkhan wants, and some extra Black Knights or Hexwraiths.

Following This you want at least a pair of Necromancers so you can fill out Arkhan's Battalion. Then it's just a matter of increasing your skeletons so you have enough battleline. If you want to add a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon. I recommend getting the Start Collecting Flesh Eater Courts building the Terrorgiest as Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon, Building the Crypt Horrors as Vargiests (or selling them if you don't want even vargiests.) and selling the crypt ghouls. It's a discount on buying the VL on Zombie Dragon alone.

An alternative to Start Collecting Skeletons is to get the Blade of the Blood Queen set which will give you a Wight King, ten grave guard, twenty Skeletons, a pair of Morghasts, and a Mortarch.

I personally got both SC Skeletons and Blade of the Blood Queen as I want to run both Legion of Sacrament and Legion of Night. (So best to have both Mortarchs, On bigger games I can even run them together.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 22, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if i were going to get a second mortarch it would definitely be Neferata

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

zeal posted:

if i were going to get a second mortarch it would definitely be Neferata

I plan to eventually get her too. And maybe a year or two later Nagash as well. Pretty much I want to eventually make a massive Nagash list with all of his Mortarchs.

Anyway I hope I helped with my recommendation for building an Arkhan army.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's confirmed that i was mostly on the right track re: list building, which was what I wanted to know. i have no idea what constitutes a 'good list' in aos, but if arkhan, a lot of skeletons and a bunch of necromancers are the way to go then that's great

e: secondarily, has anyone itt seen the Mantic 'Empire of Dust' models, their not-Tomb Kings line, in person? the basic skeleton warrior kit makes twice the guys of the GW kit for much less cost, i'd like to use them for the bulk of my skeletons, and probably their not-Ushabti models for Morghasts. but does anyone know how they look alongside equivalent GW models?

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

zeal posted:

it's confirmed that i was mostly on the right track re: list building, which was what I wanted to know. i have no idea what constitutes a 'good list' in aos, but if arkhan, a lot of skeletons and a bunch of necromancers are the way to go then that's great

e: secondarily, has anyone itt seen the Mantic 'Empire of Dust' models, their not-Tomb Kings line, in person? the basic skeleton warrior kit makes twice the guys of the GW kit for much less cost, i'd like to use them for the bulk of my skeletons, and probably their not-Ushabti models for Morghasts. but does anyone know how they look alongside equivalent GW models?

They might look a little lower resolution next to their GW counterparts, but from tabletop distance, they should look alright, especially if it's just the chaff skeletons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I want to say the Empire of Dust skeleton pack is just the regular skeleton pack with resin upgrades. If it is, then you're gold, skeletons and zombies are two of the few kits Mantic does better than GW.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, the Zombies and Skeletons are really nice. I dread the idea of building GW skeletons or Grave Guard ever again.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
okay, final question:

i'm still figuring out how allied forces work in AoS. Can I take any death warscrolls as allies, within the points limit of the game i'm playing, if my army is Legions of Nagash, or can I only ally in flesh-eater courts? I'd like to take some Skeleton Archers from the Tomb Kings warscroll compendium, since Mantic makes those and it'd give me some ranged punch outside of magic, but not at the cost of switching my Legion of Sacrament allegiance benefits to the generic Death set.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of dread, the Khinerai look really cool and dynamic but holy poo poo the only point of contact is the tail. Those things are going to snap like it's their job, I'm going to have to invest in some flying bases.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

zeal posted:

okay, final question:

i'm still figuring out how allied forces work in AoS. Can I take any death warscrolls as allies, within the points limit of the game i'm playing, if my army is Legions of Nagash, or can I only ally in flesh-eater courts? I'd like to take some Skeleton Archers from the Tomb Kings warscroll compendium, since Mantic makes those and it'd give me some ranged punch outside of magic, but not at the cost of switching my Legion of Sacrament allegiance benefits to the generic Death set.

You can only take warscrolls that have an allegiance in the allies section of your main allegiance. So for example, if you're doing Grand Host of Nagash, your only options are Flesheater Courts.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

zeal posted:

okay, final question:

You’ve more or less got it right. A generic Death army can take anything but a Legion of Sacrament allegiance army must be at least 80% Legion and at most 20% Legion allies(flesh-eaters).

The Tomb Kings stuff isn’t in the Legions book and not listed as their allies so they are restricted to general Death. Bretonnians have the same issue in Order.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The primary reason they can't be taken as allies is because GW is trying as hard as they can to kill them off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Dread Solstice Week 2.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/22/dread-solstice-week-1-the-moon-of-dark-secretsgw-homepage-post-1/

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

The primary reason they can't be taken as allies is because GW is trying as hard as they can to kill them off.

if they still made them they'd have had my money for a Khalida-led Lybaras army ages ago

• Locked thread