Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

Sauce yer quotes.

steam's got some good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is it too late to get my money back?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the game sucks. I've enjoyed the time I spent in Stellaris. However, I have one unyeilding hatred in space 4x games - hyperlanes.

My loathing for hyperlanes is such that I absolutely, unequivocably refuse to buy any space 4x that forces them on me. It doesn't matter how amazingly awesome every single other thing in the game is, I won't buy it. Period.

The single biggest selling point in Stellaris for me was that I wasn't forced into the single most illogical and unrealistic form of space transport ever devised by small minds, and now I find that has changed.

While I won't actually bother to attempt to get a refund, I will be uninstalling this game as soon as I finish this post. I won't be buying anything from this developer again.

Can i have your stuff?

oh, poo poo, wrong game

alternatively, you could wait the day(s) it takes a mod to bring back alternate forms of travel, or simply don't patch the game yet.

But sperglords will be sperglords

e; i am idiot, this is a quote from steam

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canepazzo posted:

Most important change in 2.0: space Communism is now canon.

The gently caress kind of spanner is that?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress kind of spanner is that?

Space Sickle-Spanner, obviously?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably for tightening that one bolt that's on the far side of a specifically circumferenced pipe on the main solidarity manifold of the starships of the people's republic, I would assume.

The solution, in true soviet fashion, being to periodically tighten it with the commuspanner because the corvette only needs to go 40AU before it gets blown up by a space fascist and it's cheaper to produce commuspanners than it is to redesign the corvette.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 20, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Is it too late to get my money back?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the game sucks. I've enjoyed the time I spent in Stellaris. However, I have one unyeilding hatred in space 4x games - hyperlanes.

My loathing for hyperlanes is such that I absolutely, unequivocably refuse to buy any space 4x that forces them on me. It doesn't matter how amazingly awesome every single other thing in the game is, I won't buy it. Period.

The single biggest selling point in Stellaris for me was that I wasn't forced into the single most illogical and unrealistic form of space transport ever devised by small minds, and now I find that has changed.

While I won't actually bother to attempt to get a refund, I will be uninstalling this game as soon as I finish this post. I won't be buying anything from this developer again.

Same only the exact opposite so I'm pretty happy that they are removing the False Ways of warp and wormhole travel :smug:

The various threads on this topic on the Paradox forums are a beautiful source of impotent anguish, it's great.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

On first contact, the original SOTS got it nearly perfect. If two scout ships encounter each other, they're forced into combat for at least ~4 minutes. During that time you stare at the other ship trying to figure out if it's going to fire first - or if you should - because losing a scout ship in the first few turns is a Big Deal and whoever fires first from an optimum angle has the best chance of winning.

Of course, if you don't fire first and they don't fire, then you can have a positive relationship to each others' advantage. It's a great Prisoner's Dilemma minigame.
Yeah, I was going to call out SotS1's standoffs as a great first contact experience.

Omniblivion posted:

I think I remember that "gently caress no" conversation, but it's a little foggy. Without going into a ton of details, my suggestion was just to plug in something after the crisis is defeated that can be researched for a final Galactic Wonder (for lack of a better term). Right now, after the Crisis, the game pretty much just stops until someone hits the planet or domination victory condition (a blank win screen).

Things could change a bit with the Jesus Patch but I feel like we're still going to hit a point where you have won but the game hasn't told you that you've won yet (IE: crushing everyone but not actually killed the last handful of xenos). It's usually at this point that I just quit out of those games and never touch them again. It'd be cool to have a button to push that ends the galaxy and either gives a super hard challenge (the aforementioned Super Crisis) or some random bonus and lore for your next playthrough with that race.

Without having any data on the topic, I would guess that the vast majority of time spent within Stellaris is in the Midgame, the point at which the game performs the best, and I wouldn't be opposed to gameplay loops that get us back there ASAP rather than just restarting the game once we get bored as it's pointless to go for a "win".
The thrust of the "gently caress no" is that it's not fun to lose because someone else did a thing that you in no way interacted with. The big source of confusion when this first came up was that you can do things that make you feel like you won that don't mean the other person has lost. If I'm playing Stellaris multiplayer and I decide my end goal is to complete a dyson sphere, if I complete the dyson sphere I can say "Yay I succeeded" and either keep playing or set my empire to AI control and then head off to bed, but the other players haven't "lost". So we were looking for more concrete "win", or rather, "personal success in the form of galactic dick-waving" conditions along those lines. Like, say, sending almost your entire race into the shroud, depopulating all your planets, and leaving you to either head off in "victory" or to continue playing as a tiny empire made up of your materialist die-hard pops who are now racing everyone else to take over the ruins of your former empire. Meanwhile one of your friends is trying to encode their synthesised consciousness to the quantum foam and your other friend is just slowly integrating half the galaxy into their galactic hive mind. Then the Praethorian show up.

"Press button, everyone else loses" is the antithesis of this.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 21, 2018

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I mean the most simple solution to the problem you describe is to just make Galaxy Wonders a checkbox option for the specific case of multiplayer games. On one hand, there would be games where people want to drop in and out and let the galaxy unfold. On the other, there are some of us out there that would love nothing more than to poopsock and push buttan that triggers the big crunch or rips a hole into the void that starts spilling out tens or hundreds of leviathan sized creatures. Obviously this wouldn't come without warning- there would be a notification to everyone in the game that it's being constructed. Imagine taking as long as two Dyson Spheres to create and double the cost. That's a pretty hefty investment that can be interrupted.

I would argue that adding an (optional) endgame feature could be a good driver to push/end games and start new ones with the same races, would open up possibilities of modding some crazy endings and new beginnings, and could even be a platform for a future content patch/expansion (Galaxy Wonders). Not to mention yourself becoming an endgame crisis of your own for everyone else in the game with you :unsmigghh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Press button and leave some terrifying monster in your wake as you retire to enjoy victory and sip champagne would be fine though imo.

There coulf be some victories other civs wouldnt want you to accomplish even if they arent an insta lose and they can probably deal with the consequences.

But thats very very different from an I win you lose button.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So is it fine to go with Egalitarians and the Bio ascension path or wold the lack of resettlement cripple it?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't find a single video where the host isn't annoying/stupid as crap or face camming or both.

I'm interested in the game, not your stupid YT Persona. I guess I'm just too old to be the target market for these people.

This guy seems pretty decent. He actually talks like a normal human being and seems to know what he's doing, unlike every other 2.0 preview stream I've seen so far.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sedisp posted:

So is it fine to go with Egalitarians and the Bio ascension path or wold the lack of resettlement cripple it?

just don't go fanatic egalitarian; regular egalitarian lets you resettle at the cost of -10% happiness to one of your prominent factions, which isn't that big of a deal

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Noice.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

canepazzo posted:

I can't wait for a random empire to use that for a wildly inappropriate empire government and aggravate my inner speed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't wait for a random empire to use that for a wildly inappropriate empire government and aggravate my inner speed.

I wish we could change our colours and flag in-game. We can rename our selves at least. Always want to tag-switch to offending countries and "correct" their colours when the huge rival federation that forms right next to me invariably uses my colour and a similar shaped flag.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jazerus posted:

just don't go fanatic egalitarian; regular egalitarian lets you resettle at the cost of -10% happiness to one of your prominent factions, which isn't that big of a deal

The biggest thing that I didn't really get is resettlement seems required when I thought you could just gene mod an entire planet as well as a specific species.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

canepazzo posted:

Don't be so anthropomorphic, that's clearly a Yondarim pl'ak-bug plucker, a tool restricted to the Yondarim nobility, and the famous Woodpecker of King Y'akhrim, symbol of the Yondarim royal house.

Assuming that other species follow the rules of Marxist inevitability is cultural imperialism.

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I was watching the Arumba stream (well, the preamble, then I saw the thread's reaction and decided to look elsewhere). It mentioned there's only 3 songs for this expansion (and played all three), and none of them were the trailer soundtrack. Kind of a bummer, I really liked that song.

Oh for real? I was really hoping that would be one of the tracks. How will I avenge the massive loss of human life without that song in the background?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

VirtualStranger posted:

This guy seems pretty decent. He actually talks like a normal human being and seems to know what he's doing, unlike every other 2.0 preview stream I've seen so far.

Ah yeah I'm liking his lore explanations for why his guys are the way they are. Willing to give him a shot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Give me some Dragon's Dogma and The Last Question type poo poo with a full expansion for it for an actual Stellaris win revamp.

Make the End of the Cycle trigger at reaching all of the current victory conditions, giving the player special projects consisting of implementing classic sci-fi precursor race plans that involve even more advanced technology, but inevitably fall short. Player choices persist through to new games, becoming new events, Fallen Empires or anomalies to discover and making the techs created by previous plans available before the Cycle ends.

After enough resets and enough technologies gathered an empire can fight the Reckoning, which itself exists to either continually discover new means to prevent a big freeze or reproduce the big bang. Replacing the Reckoning makes the player empire appear as the new post-game crisis. Opting for the big bang reverts all persistent content and randomly generates the appearance of a new post-game crisis.

Never actually show a victory screen.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sedisp posted:

The biggest thing that I didn't really get is resettlement seems required when I thought you could just gene mod an entire planet as well as a specific species.

you can mod species by planet, yeah. however juggling pops around between planets is very useful to obtain the right proportion of the right species for each task on as many planets as you are interested in microing to that degree. the biological path is definitely the most fiddly of the three, but very powerful if you're efficiently moving pops around

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Reveilled posted:

My first paradox game was Europa Universallis 1, how familiar are you with paradox? The specific comment I made in relation to paradox as opposed to developers in general was that the mods, support and patching dries up when a new entry in a franchise is released.

Reveilled posted:

Game's been out for close to two years now, it's not really uncommon for developers to stop patching at that point, and if you take the view that Cherryh is Stellaris 2,

lol

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So what's the actual use of the planet killers? Like they're cool and all, but what's the advantage in blowing up a planet instead of just conquering/liberating/vassalizing?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, the planet might be carpeted with planetary fortresses and be a massive pain in the rear end to invade.

Also, I think it was mentioned having a planet destroyed causes massive amounts of war exhaustion.

alternatively: roleplay reasons

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So what's the actual use of the planet killers? Like they're cool and all, but what's the advantage in blowing up a planet instead of just conquering/liberating/vassalizing?

Can’t get minerals or society research from liberating/vassalizing. Alternatively, it speeds up purging filthy xenos.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it means people cant play for time, if they dont defend they just get thier planet blowed up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also it doesn’t necessarily need to be the planetcracker

you can build one of the other superweapons like the one that assimilates everyone or the one that turns it into a prison planet like at the end of jet li’s one

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
also it's loving rad

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Because sometimes you just need to tell the enemy to go gently caress themselves.

More practically, though, there might a strategic purpose; a colossus is a threat the enemy CAN'T ignore. They can't just pull back from a risky fight and hope to build up, come back and reconquer the planet later, they have to either risk all the marbles right NOW to stop the colossus or lose the planet permanently. That could potentially force a decisive battle you could follow up on without ever having to actually USE the colossus.

Similarly, the presence of a colossus could potentially fool the enemy into thinking that the main push is going to come from where it's at, but that's more applicable to multiplayer games and may not work so well against the AI.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also if you think you can seize a valuable enemy system temporarily, but not hold it long term, and want to deny the enemy a really sweet planet.

But really its so you can sit there and pose like Grand Moff Tarkin with your finger to your chin while watching your Death Star reach firing position.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But really its so you can sit there and pose like Grand Moff Tarkin with your finger to your chin while watching your Death Star reach firing position.

Why would you dox me like this?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you don't say "You may fire when ready" you're doing it wrong.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I imagine that blowing up a planet will be sort of like using a nuclear weapon in HoI4, dramatically increasing you enemies' war exhaustion and making them more willing to surrender quickly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

We need a new thread title. "To Serve Man" is two expansions old, though it still worked in a way with Synthetic Dawn given Rogue Servitors.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Honestly, we should just make a new thread for 2.0, imo.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
200 posts later and im still baffled by the 'paradox wont update old versions of the game' thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seams posted:

200 posts later and im still baffled by the 'paradox wont update old versions of the game' thing

Arguing against a tautology has to be hard mode for trolling, I salute his success.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Seams posted:

The point is that "just play an older version of the game" is not an acceptable defense for forcing hyperlanes only, hth

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shadowlyger posted:

The point is that "just play an older version of the game" is not an acceptable defense for forcing hyperlanes only, hth

You're right, which is why the main defense is that wormholes and warp were bad for the game's overall health and standing in the way of progress. Warfare is better without them.

I'm glad they're dead.

Also natural wormholes and the Webway are cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

VirtualStranger posted:

I imagine that blowing up a planet will be sort of like using a nuclear weapon in HoI4, dramatically increasing you enemies' war exhaustion and making them more willing to surrender quickly.

I can see doing that on some poo poo planet you wouldn't even want to bother with. I was imagining blowing away like valuable size 25 homeworlds or something.

Also totally forget about the mind control beams and all that for other empire types.

Seams posted:

All this stuff about Stellaris 2.0, but what about Stellaris 1.5.2 Asimov? Where's their support for that game?

• Locked thread