Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The National Rifle Organization is actually a cabal of sentient rifles who believe in their supremacy over humans. Why isn't it called the National Rifle-Owners' Organization, or the National Rifle-Manufacturers' Organization? Why hasn't Wayne LaPierre released X-rays of himself to prove he isn't a rifle operating a meat suit? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

This one actually brought home to me just how desperate the gun lobby seems to be this time. The video games bogeyman hasn't been credible for almost ten years now; I can't even remember the last time it was dragged out in earnest. And yet here it is again, being flung at the wall with everything else in the hope that something, anything will stick.

It's far to early to say that anything is going to change in the US gun debate. But this is the first time in living memory that I've seen anyone on the winning side afraid that it might.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol Republicans aren't even trying to appeal to young people any more, they're just openly insulting them, mocking their deaths, and trying to make them miserable.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
mom i'd like to gulag

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

VitalSigns posted:

Lol Republicans aren't even trying to appeal to young people any more, they're just openly insulting them, mocking their deaths, and trying to make them miserable.

https://twitter.com/WPLGLocal10/status/966049268321615872
https://twitter.com/learyreports/status/966061854303965191

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

:guillotine:

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Is this the first time the Parkland survivors have been labeled "crisis actors" so far? I feel like the party line has mostly been "they really did survive a mass shooting but they still need to shut up about gun control."

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

"Trump Derangement Syndrome" from a guy who spent 8 years drawing Obama in the same "pretentious upturned nose" style.

"Stop saying that the bad president is bad, that makes you DERANGED!" The entire conservative ideology is just gaslighting the rest of us at this point.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

But actual children can suck it.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Stiglich posted:

Current political climate in America.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Teen with legitimate grievance recognizes adult is trying to undermine his protest by distracting from the real issue with frivolous bullshit, AG(lenn McCoy)C

Seriously, this is making my blood boil, fire both McCoy brothers into the sun

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Trump derangement syndrome" is the most baffling talking point. I can kind of imagine the kind of mind that would value your own toys over the children of strangers, but I have no idea what the hell goes on in the head of someone who voted for a lock-her-up birther and uses that term unironically.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"Trump derangement syndrome" is the most baffling talking point.
It's psychological projection from people who are still obsessed with Hillary, Obama, even Jimmy Carter and Chappaquiddick.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Ha ha you poor fuckers thought that this school full of dead kids would be the one that finally causes any kind of meaningful change! :gbsmith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Good, these children are starting to learn that the solution to the gun violence is indeed more guns.

Specifically, they need to get assault rifles of their own and go on a murder rampage to kill every single GOP representative and voter. It's the only way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

The underlining :vince:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There have been some "but video games" cartoons recently and well...aren't games like Call of Duty part of gun culture? I mean, I doubt Republicans really know what they are saying when they condemn games like that (they're certainly deluded about the age range that plays them) but they're definitely huge entertainment franchises dedicated to making guns look awesome as all hell. Action movies don't come close to the gun-love built into games like that anymore.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 20, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samurai Sanders posted:

There have been some "but video games" cartoons recently and well...aren't games like Call of Duty part of gun culture? I mean, I doubt Republicans really know what they are saying when they condemn games like that but they're definitely huge entertainment franchises dedicated to making guns look awesome as all hell. Action movies don't come close to the gun-love built into games like that anymore.

Other countries have access to those same violent games and movies, and yet they don't have the same problems with mass shootings that the United States does because they don't have the same access to actual guns.

The problem isn't thinking guns are cool, the problem is being able to buy a gun at anytime.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Other countries have access to those same violent games and movies, and yet they don't have the same problems with mass shootings that the United States does because they don't have the same access to actual guns.

The problem isn't thinking guns are cool, the problem is being able to buy a gun at anytime.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, they're definitely just deflecting and not really thinking about what they're saying, but coming from a country where such games are indeed available but vastly fewer people have any interest in them, it was just something I was thinking about.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 21, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If liberals actually tried to ban violent video games, McCoy et al would pivot so fast to "b..buh free speech" and "liberal fascism" and "save Call of Duty, they hate are troops".

There'd be a billion cartoons of Moochelle assbumping a military video game out of sweet little junior's hands while she's gripping a controller and killing whitey on Grand Theft Auto XLVIII, where's my Pulitzer.

They are absolutely full of poo poo on this and everything else, just look at the pivot on the NSA. Or on Putin.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 21, 2018

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"Trump derangement syndrome" is the most baffling talking point. I can kind of imagine the kind of mind that would value your own toys over the children of strangers, but I have no idea what the hell goes on in the head of someone who voted for a lock-her-up birther and uses that term unironically.
Well, it's either shout "Trump Derangement Syndrome" and run away as fast as you can while declaring yourself the victor or engage in a civil debate while articulating your thoroughly researched talking points.

And...frankly...

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kopijeger posted:

"Up, Up and Astray"

Flying too close to the sun because some right wing pundits hold this view unironically and there are pictures of twitter racists dropping hundreds of dollars to buy out Black Panther showings so nobody can see them :lol:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Conservatives beat their dicks raw whenever someone marginally famous agrees with them but a black athlete offers his perspective and here we fuckin' go again.

Additionally: conservatives have been beating their dicks raw to John Wayne movies for 70 years but no it's the video games and culture that are the problem

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Flying too close to the sun because some right wing pundits hold this view unironically and there are pictures of twitter racists dropping hundreds of dollars to buy out Black Panther showings so nobody can see them :lol:

Yeah, inflate the box office figures, that'll really show those movie execs

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Because that won't just encourage the movie theaters to keep Black Panther showing for longer. :v:

Jagged Jim posted:

Ha ha you poor fuckers thought that this school full of dead kids would be the one that finally causes any kind of meaningful change! :gbsmith:

Just remember, most kids in high school today will be voting age come 2020. The GOP isn't winning many hearts and minds here.

Trazz posted:

"Trump Derangement Syndrome" from a guy who spent 8 years drawing Obama in the same "pretentious upturned nose" style.

"Stop saying that the bad president is bad, that makes you DERANGED!" The entire conservative ideology is just gaslighting the rest of us at this point.

Criticizing Trump = Stupid Bad and Wrong is especially funny coming on the heels of polls of political scholars putting Trump in the bottom two Presidents in American history. When you're living under the administration that has the chance to displace Buchanan as worst ever, you have the right to loving attack.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

duz posted:

Someone hasn't seen the new style of water bottles kids these days are using.

You should've seen peak goonism when Perry Bible Fellowship was regularly updating.

Speaking of which. From today.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neodoomium posted:

Conservatives beat their dicks raw whenever someone marginally famous agrees with them but a black athlete offers his perspective and here we fuckin' go again.

Additionally: conservatives have been beating their dicks raw to John Wayne movies for 70 years but no it's the video games and culture that are the problem

The whole "celebrities shouldn't talk about politics" line sounds so hollow coming from conservatives considering they put a reality TV star in the White House.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Zesty posted:

Speaking of which. From today.

Does it count as ripping off Tinsley's shtick when the animals are anthropomorphized?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I...what?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

D.N. Nation posted:

But actual children can suck it.

Not pictured: The person who's going to die if she gives birth to the deformed baby.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

VitalSigns posted:

If liberals actually tried to ban violent video games, McCoy et al would pivot so fast to "b..buh free speech" and "liberal fascism" and "save Call of Duty, they hate are troops".

There'd be a billion cartoons of Moochelle assbumping a military video game out of sweet little junior's hands while she's gripping a controller and killing whitey on Grand Theft Auto XLVIII, where's my Pulitzer.

They are absolutely full of poo poo on this and everything else, just look at the pivot on the NSA. Or on Putin.

Leland Lee comes to mind as his bill on violent video games was deemed unconstitutional. But doing a Buckley style GIS search brought up mostly "HE IS A GUN RUNNER WHO RAN ON ANTI GUN CHECKMATE LIBERALS".

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Pakled posted:

The whole "celebrities shouldn't talk about politics" line sounds so hollow coming from conservatives considering they put a reality TV star in the White House.

And worse, they continue to not only give a poo poo about what Pedophile and Actual Pants-Shitter Ted Nugent has to say, they give him hours of screen time to say it.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Starshark posted:

Not pictured: The person who's going to die if she gives birth to the deformed baby.

The McCoy's don't consider women to be people.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

It sounds like you're making the mistake of actually thinking about the message of the cartoon for more than half a second. This is not the correct stonetoss procedure. The silly gay man has an opinion, and yet the reasonable shop man is not allowed to also have an opinion. There is presumably a law against thinking about certain opinions in the works. The stupid gay man is gay, and dumb. Laugh at the gay man.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

There have been some "but video games" cartoons recently and well...aren't games like Call of Duty part of gun culture? I mean, I doubt Republicans really know what they are saying when they condemn games like that (they're certainly deluded about the age range that plays them) but they're definitely huge entertainment franchises dedicated to making guns look awesome as all hell. Action movies don't come close to the gun-love built into games like that anymore.

Fun facts: video games license guns, and at least one video game website had links to gun makers:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-videogames-guns/video-game-maker-drops-gun-makers-not-their-guns-idUSBRE9460U720130507

quote:

Yet overt signs of cooperation between the video game and gun industries had begun to draw criticism even before the December school shooting in Connecticut.

In August, game fans and some video game news outlets vehemently objected to EA putting links to weapons companies like the McMillan Group and gun magazine maker Magpul, where gamers could check out real versions of weapons featured in the game, on its “Medal of Honor: Warfighter” game website.

“What kind of message is a video game publisher like EA sending when it encourages its players to buy weapons?” asked Laura Parker, the associate editor of gaming site GameSpot Australia in a post in August.

EA immediately removed the links and dropped the marketing tie-up, which it said was part of a charity project to raise money for military veterans. The company said it received no money from its gun company partners."
Bonus quote: "One week after 20 schoolchildren and six adults were killed in the shooting, NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre called the videogame industry “a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.” ". there is no :ironicat: big enough.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Angepain posted:

There is presumably a law against thinking about certain opinions in the works.

This is actually a pretty ingrained idea in the White Evangelical Shared Universe mythos. They've been saying for decades now that unless we keep the sodomites from enacting [insert LGBT rights law/ordinance here], pretty soon, pastors will be put in JAIL just for THINKING that homosexuality is a sin! The government will shut down churches any day now! Vote Republican!

It's just weird seeing that stupid poo poo being portrayed using evil Klurfs and not shouted into a microphone by a 70-year-old on a pulpit. It's just another sign that as cool and secular and rational the alt-right likes to pretend it is, usually they just vomit back up old Evangelical talking points after hastily wiping away the overtly-Jesusy bits.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I knew there was something familiar about that comic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zivilyn Bane posted:

Just remember, most kids in high school today will be voting age come 2020. The GOP isn't winning many hearts and minds here.

That's all right, just suppress their ability and desire to vote! Problem solved forever.

FOREVER!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I mean its sad that NRA has to go after video games, because video games don't make you an effective killing machine regardless of any personal training or physical ability - unlike say a automatic firing mechanism and several hundred round clips can turn anyone into a spree killer with the push of a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Fun facts: video games license guns, and at least one video game website had links to gun makers:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-videogames-guns/video-game-maker-drops-gun-makers-not-their-guns-idUSBRE9460U720130507

Bonus quote: "One week after 20 schoolchildren and six adults were killed in the shooting, NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre called the videogame industry “a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.” ". there is no :ironicat: big enough.

Also EA was the company who sent actual brass knuckles to video game writers as a promotion item for the very loose adapation of Godfather 2.