Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

how many of these gifs do you have?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how many do you need?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

finally i can relax

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
altered carbon isn't the best show but i like the aesthetic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I like it so far. I like the AI hotel guy a lot and the aesthetic is great and the cop lady is a qt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

please, its altered cabron

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
altered cabrito

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

please, its altered cabrón

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
also liking the TV show way more than the book and I’m barely into the book

Joshua Ellis described it as the book having none of William Gibson’s aesthetic but the TV show having it in abundance, way more than straight adaptations of Gibson’s work have

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

I like it so far. I like the AI hotel guy a lot and the aesthetic is great and the cop lady is a qt

AI hotel guy is YOSPOS as gently caress

likes whiskey, wants to understand human emotion

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i haven't read the book but I'm assuming the show has been.......softened, politically, as lots of these works are

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

eschaton posted:

also liking the TV show way more than the book and I’m barely into the book

Joshua Ellis described it as the book having none of William Gibson’s aesthetic but the TV show having it in abundance, way more than straight adaptations of Gibson’s work have

thats a good way to summarize the visuals

lancemantis posted:

i haven't read the book but I'm assuming the show has been.......softened, politically, as lots of these works are

idk, its been a while but the gender, wealth inequity, and moral topics seem pretty consistent in that the all surround the rich being inhuman monsters

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Agile Vector posted:

thats a good way to summarize the visuals

idk, its been a while but the gender, wealth inequity, and moral topics seem pretty consistent in that the all surround the rich being inhuman monsters

the show flips it on its head in a subtle but important way: its message is that immortality makes monsters, which is amplified by wealth - you can tell this is true because there's a character you know both before and after being immortal and it's becoming immortal that makes them bad. contrast that with the book that says the wealthy are monsters and jesus christ imagine if they were immortal holy poo poo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Caganer posted:

AI hotel guy is YOSPOS as gently caress

likes whiskey, wants to understand human emotion

:3:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

i definitely caught some feelings at this part

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
is the hotel no longer jimmy hendrix themed in the show?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
it's late 19th century gothic themed. the proprietor styles himself after edgar allan poe. he's a good character

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

is the hotel no longer jimmy hendrix themed in the show?

turns out it’s easier to use the likeness of someone from the 19th Century than someone from the 20th

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also it works and Poe is good

I quite enjoyed “Altered Cabrito”

also good to see more of Dichen Lachman, I haven’t seen her in anything since Eliza Dusku’s “Dollhouse”

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/captbaritone/status/961274714013319168

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phobeste posted:

the show flips it on its head in a subtle but important way: its message is that immortality makes monsters, which is amplified by wealth - you can tell this is true because there's a character you know both before and after being immortal and it's becoming immortal that makes them bad. contrast that with the book that says the wealthy are monsters and jesus christ imagine if they were immortal holy poo poo

its a bad character with no real motivation behind the change other than that's what the writers wanted. its the worst part of the show

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

to take ancient hallowed software like winamp and desecrate it by making a pale copy over the shitpile that is javascript is blasphemous and heretical

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the resurrection of old and lovely software with the healing touch of JavaScript is blessed

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

to take ancient hallowed software like winamp and desecrate it by making a pale copy over the shitpile that is javascript is blasphemous and heretical

OldAlias posted:

the resurrection of old and lovely software with the healing touch of JavaScript is blessed

the split between Jamesian and Paulean Christianity*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yospos is jamesian ofc

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

FMguru posted:

yospos is jamesian ofc

dang but I hope the 'pos is not destined to be wiped out by those holding a similar but wildly more absolutist creed

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

woah, wait till you see the electron port.

https://github.com/durasj/winamp2-js-desktop

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

crazysim posted:

woah, wait till you see the electron port.

https://github.com/durasj/winamp2-js-desktop

does this require the 100mb chromium package like other electron apps to replicate a 700kb app? :yum:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

goddamn, you could just ship a Win98SE image with WinAmp preinstalled and an emulator (not just a virtual machine) to run it and get a smaller download and better performance

delenda est JavaScript

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the web was a mistake

thankfully once we invent time travel cern is probably the easiest place in the world to get a lock on in spacetime

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sehnaoui/status/965628316928667650

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the web was a mistake

thankfully once we invent time travel cern is probably the easiest place in the world to get a lock on in spacetime

everyone wants to go back and kill javascript, think they can get it while its young, maybe before its radicalized. buddy, let me tell you, nobody in time corps get away with it. someone else always invents a new version. acmescript. pythoncursive. weve seen every version. save yourself the recursive week on scrub duty and dont bother

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ok well what if we just make sure it gets replaced by another language available at the time that has the same platform independence, ease of use and implementation, and relative performance so that it doesn't look out of place? like... uh...

ok, we'll just bring back a language from the future that satisfies all those criteria like... oh no

oh god no

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Scheme was available and considered

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

everyone wants to go back and kill javascript, think they can get it while its young, maybe before its radicalized. buddy, let me tell you, nobody in time corps get away with it. someone else always invents a new version. acmescript. pythoncursive. weve seen every version. save yourself the recursive week on scrub duty and dont bother

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in one timeline, i poo poo you not, it was HyperTalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

what is this a reference to? it seems really familiar and i'm probably gonna feel real dumb for missing it

• Locked thread