Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
A trivia contest you say?! 54 HOURS STRAIGHT YOU SAY?

Let's get prepared again for TRIVIA, goons! We're back in action April 13, 14, and 15!

IMPORTANT DATES AND TIMES
APRIL 7 - 1am EDT - TRIVIA MOVIE SCREENING (there are usually 5-10 questions about the movie during the contest)
APRIL 9 - 3-6pm EDT - PICTURE SCAVENGER HUNT BEGINS! (scroll down to read more about this part - we need more people to join earlier for this!)
APRIL 13 - 7pm EDT - CONTEST BEGINS.
APRIL 14 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK
APRIL 15 - 7pm EDT - APPROX. 30 MINUTE CONTEST BREAK
APRIL 16 - 1am EDT - CONTEST ENDS.
APRIL 16 - POST-1am EDT - We find out results (this is somwhat variable)

Our Logo (2018)

What the crap do you want us to do?

We've broken top ten 5 straight years, which should be described as an inhuman feat for a team that didn't exist before 2011.

Some teams play for generations and haven't cracked Top 50.

Tell Me More! :allears:

For the last 49 years Stevens Point, WI college radio station 90FM has run the world's largest trivia contest.
There are over 350 teams from around the world who compete. The entire town is taken over by trivia contestants.

These are the canonical rules, but here's a brief overview.
  • Game runs for 54 hours straight (non stop trivia action!)
  • Approximately 8 questions every hour. They read a question, play a song, re-read it, play another song.
  • You have until the end of the second song to get your answer in. You're competing to get a correct answer and to get the answer in on time.
  • Occasionally there is a speed round which is 10 questions.
  • There will be 2 shorter rounds (4 questions generally) with a 30 minute break near the halfway points of each day (7pm Saturday and Sunday EST)

PICTURE SCAVENGER HUNT
We will get 30 grainy, sometimes blurry, sometimes photoshopped, black and white pictures that we need to identify as much as possible.
These can range from random hot sauce labels, inner sleeves of record albums, random board games, random people/celebrities, old sports stars, etc.
This part is EXTREMELY difficult. This begins on April 9. We have until the question about that picture is asked to answer it (so nearly a full week).
Sometimes these questions are worth hundreds of points - THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Imagine a couple thousand trivia nerds hitting redial :f5: for 54 hours straight. Yeah.

Things you should know:
  • The questions are designed to be Google-proof, but that's not always possible. They want to make you at least work to get the answers.
  • Scoring: The fewer people that answer correctly, the more valuable the question is and so those people get awarded more points.
  • You can do anything to get the answer.

What TEAM GOONS needs from you! :eng101:
Here's a list of things we need:
  • Data Entry Goons: Someone to transcribe the questions to text for people on IRC ---> THIS IS SUPER VALUABLE! If your WPM is over 120 PLEASE come help us out!
  • IRC We have a channel on synirc.net
  • Mumble We re-stream the audio for everyone over Mumble.
  • Recording the stream for review is essential. There are music questions where they play a 20 second clip of like 8 different songs. You have to try to get them all right. You are given a long time to answer, but if you only hear it once and don't have a recording you're missing out on big points. Being able to edit the clip and analyze it is invaluable.
  • Non-Americans are VERY welcome: Goons from around the world. They've had questions that Americans won't get. Pop culture or things in other countries could be on the list. Hey, it's 54 hours long... I'm not staying awake that entire weekend.
  • Media whores: You have every season of Hogan's Heroes, M*A*S*H* and other random TV shows? Yeah, we might need you to help us figure out what color socks someone is wearing or some other bullshit question.
  • On the ground Goons: We have a group of goons in that run the On the Ground stuff for us in Stevens Point. (Yes this contest also has LITERAL scavenger hunts in real life DURING the competition)
  • Music nerds: Example question given by a coworker (accuracy not guaranteed)
  • "In the Huey Lewis and the News vinyl's included artwork there is a neon sign on the wall. What does it say?"
  • Also we will get 3 snippets of 8 songs each to identify. These are sometimes easy, sometimes hard as gently caress. The snippets of each song are at most 1-2 seconds. if you have an ear for this sort of thing, we can use your help!

Official website (Don't be shocked at how bad this is)

Our Results:
2011: Trivial Fursuit - 33rd place
2012: Trivial Fursuit: 2 Fat 2 Furriest - 14th place
2013: Trivial Fursuit: Tokyo Yiff'd - 8th place
2014: Trivial Fursuit: Watch Walker Wreck - 7th place
2015: Trivial Fursuit: Awful Mix Vol. 5 - 4th place
2016: Trivial Fursuit: 6 Sick Stick Shifts - 6th place
2017: Trivial Fursuit: Furple Reign - 3rd place

For those with archives...
Trivia 42 (2011) thread
Trivia 43 (2012) thread
Trivia 44 (2013) thread
Trivia 45 (2014) thread
Trivia 46 (2015) thread
Trivia 47 (2016) thread
Trivia 48 (2017) thread

As you can see we have (almost always) improved steadily with each year, with our best year being 2017, where we placed in THIRD out of over 350 teams, giving us our FIFTH straight top ten finish.

FAQ:

How the gently caress do I participate?
Follow the guide in the next post

What is our team name this year?
Undetermined currently. Please suggest options. (Maximum 36 characters, including spaces and punctuation)
Here are a few options:

Trivial Fursuit 8 Mine our Furrycoin
Trivial Fursuit: Mining 4 Nose Gold
Trivial Fursuit: 8 Bitcoin Fur Us
Trivial Fursuit 8: Miner Threat
Trivial Fursuit: Minin' Fur Gold
Trivial Fursuit 8 bitcoin 500 points

It's February (or March), what should I do right now?
Come drop into IRC (details on the next post) and say hi, we can tell you a little more or answer just about any question you have.
Due to the rules of the contest we cannot share most information in a public setting but in IRC we can tell you a lot more so you can get a feel for it!

Where the gently caress do I order my shirt?

my cat is norris posted:

:siren: :siren: ORDER YOUR T-SHIRTS HERE :siren: :siren:

NOT SHOWN IN THE IMAGE is the standard addition of this year's contest dates and the "Trivia 49" text. It'll be somewhat small, probably printed in yellow, and probably located below the wooden sign our little dude is clasping.

As mentioned, I am NOT spearheading a second run of t-shirts! If you would like to take control of the ordering and shipping of commemorative t-shirts, please reach out to me, and I will do my best to be helpful!

T-shirts cost pretty much the same as they did last year. If you haven't ordered before, one t-shirt + US price of shipping ends up being about $15. Two shirts + US price of shipping ends up being about $22. If you order more than four shirts at once, chances are that I'll have to use a shipping method other than my usual, so the shipping price might go up a bit. I do my best to get you the most affordable shipping option, though!

I do ship internationally. We've had no issues thus far and I'm crossing my fingers that this year will be another success.

Orders must be in by March 16th!

THERE WILL NOT BE A SECOND RUN OF TSHIRTS AFTER THE CONTEST THIS YEAR.*
* Unless someone other than CatNamedNorris organizes it

Can I see some sample questions?

Athanatos posted:

This sounds weird but is actually kinda cool. Give it a shot when the day comes.

Some sample questions:

During a TV campaign for the frozen dinners of Marie Callendar, the claim was made that every recipe started the same way. According to that campaign, how did the recipe start?

This product has the registered autograph and logo of a legendary athlete as well as many pictures of this athlete in action on containers. What is the complete name of this product?

Early in the years of television videos, there was a motivational one called "No fool like a fool playin' hooky." What is the last name of the teacher featured in that video?

What kind of music is played in between questions?

Here are some Spotify playlists you can check out!

my cat is norris posted:

Trivia 44 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 45 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 46 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

Trivia 47 Playlist (thanks, TotalNewbie!)

Trivia 48 Playlist (thanks, CatNamedNorris!)

TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS CONTEST
There was a decent write up done last year and our team was featured in it.
https://theoutline.com/post/1469/stevens-point-worlds-biggest-trivia-contest
Including a "documentary" video in which we are featured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IyBRXaUls
Start at 9:45 if you can't be bothered to watch the whole thing

There was also a movie made over 10 years ago about the contest called Triviatown
We usually do a yearly (online) screening of this film the Friday night 7 days before the contest starts. April 6. It's a tradition.

This sounds stupid and complicated I don't want to do it
Give it 15 minutes of your time and then decide. There are tons of people involved in this contest and so many different areas of it, we have players of all sorts, from 18 through 65+ participating.
The contest is hectic, and fun, even if you're just sitting around watching the organized chaos unfold. Sometimes there might be a question about a cereal box we're stumped on but it happens to be in your pantry. Who knows!
We have goons from New Zealand, Sweden, all across the Americas, Britain, Finland, Denmark, Japan. We are all over the place!
Give us a fair shake and see how you like it.

Sooo... are you ready to play Trivia, Fast Eddie?

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

:siren: How To Join Us In IRC :siren: (TL;DR at bottom)

What the hell is IRC and what do I do?

So the channel is #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net. To connect to these you will need an irc client. Popular ones are mibbit, hexchat, mIRC and irssi.

Mibbit is web based and as such the easiest one to get started with. The other ones require an installation. This guide will focus mostly on mibbit but the instructions are somewhat universal.

If you're okay with using mibbit, all you need to do is click here and pick a nickname.

For other clients, open it up, type in /connect irc.synirc.net, type in /nick YOUR_NICKNAME_HERE (you can pick your name here) and then type in /join #tplobby and you should be in.

I've joined but there's no contest going on. What the hell?

Once you're here (#tplobby) it might take a little while for people to respond, especially if you want to join during the middle of the contest is going on. This is because we're busy trying to win.
However, within a minute (last year this was generally within 15-30 seconds, not minutes) someone with OP (operator) status will talk to you. In the meantime, you can register your nick on the server.

Registering is pretty simple. Type in /msg NickServ register YOUR_PASSWORD YOUR_EMAIL
You will then get an email with a command to put type into IRC. Do that and you're registered!

note that the email ended up in my spam folder, so check there

Note: the next time you open up IRC and pick this nickname you will have to log in or the server will change your name. To do this you simply type in /msg nickserv identify YOUR_PASSWORD

On both of these commands it's important you don't have an empty space or whatever at the start or it or you'll post your entire message openly for everyone to see.
Make sure NOTHING but what I've put in italics above is in the message as you press enter or people might steal your password or whatever

Okay, so I'm registered and stuff. How do I join in the fun?

At this point you'll hopefully have been contacted by an OP in #tplobby (you can tell who's an op by what symbol they have before or after their name, these differ between clients, though. Mibbit has custom icons and others usually have an @ or a & before their name to show it.)

They will ask you to identify yourself with your SA user name and potentially by putting something in your profile.
They will then add you to a list of trusted users if all of the above has been done correctly and send you to another channel, where the actual contest is happening.
If after this point you get disconnected you will be able to join the real channel immediately and just log in with /msg nickserv identify YOUR_PASSWORD and skip all the other steps above.

If there are any questions or confusion, feel free to ask one of the ops in #tplobby for help. We'll try to have someone semi active in there as often as possible until the contest ends. If you have time to spare it's really helpful for everyone involved to register ahead of time.

TL;DR ot if you know sort of how to irc
Join #tplobby on the server irc.synirc.net.
Register your nick with nickserv.
Talk to an operator in #tplobby.
Or just click here.

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 17, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Put in my days off from work for this before getting my days for my honeymoon confirmed.

:getin:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
TRIVIA TIIIIIIIIME :getin:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's the best way to find out that Google has limits on how many times you can search before it starts asking if you're a bot!

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
For anyone on the fence about participating, just do it! Breakneck research and Googling is addictive and fun as hell.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
This sounds weird but is actually kinda cool. Give it a shot when the day comes.

Some sample questions:

During a TV campaign for the frozen dinners of Marie Callendar, the claim was made that every recipe started the same way. According to that campaign, how did the recipe start?

This product has the registered autograph and logo of a legendary athlete as well as many pictures of this athlete in action on containers. What is the complete name of this product?

Early in the years of television videos, there was a motivational one called "No fool like a fool playin' hooky." What is the last name of the teacher featured in that video?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This is a ton of fun and I'm looking forward to my 3rd year on the team!

I mean, I mostly spend my time on the music crew.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Triviaaaaaa? What's thaaaaaaat? :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's important to note that even if you're not the fastest Googler in the west you can still be an important part of the team! It's always great to have people in chat narrowing down and verifying potential answers that faster fingers have found first.

...at least, that's what I tell myself.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yay, Trivia!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Easily posting on the first page

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

so stoked

e:

lelandjs posted:

It's important to note that even if you're not the fastest Googler in the west you can still be an important part of the team! It's always great to have people in chat narrowing down and verifying potential answers that faster fingers have found first.

...at least, that's what I tell myself.

Answer-checkers have saved our bacon more times than I can count. It's all well and good to be able to boolean and superclick your way through the entirety of Google, but most of the people chucking links are looking for the barest of connections to the question, and aren't taking the time to see if what they're linking is correct enough. Maybe 3 times out of 10 is the first hit 100% (especially if it's coming from certain databases), but more often than not (and where we really need people to be calm and level-headed and putting in the labor) is in double-checking the links in IRC and confirming that they're giving the right answer, doubling back to the question, and making sure everyone is on the same page before we pull the trigger.

Dedicated checkers are amazing people and I love them (especially because more often than not I end up filling that role unintentionally).

Dr. Bones fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 21, 2018

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Trivia is the most fun I have while manic my PC at 4am with 500 unrelated google tabs open and swearing about Peppa Pig

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
OP there's no apostrophe in "Steven's Point" and it's triggering me

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
A tip for newbies: It's easy to get overwhelmed by how fast the chat moves in the evening hours, thus giving you the false impression that you're not really helping. We could use fresh bodies starting in the early morning hours (around 4am Central). These are generally our weaker hours, especially on Sunday morning.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

He honk

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Solumin posted:

I mean, I mostly spend my time on the music crew.

best krew

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
So pumped! Can’t wait for trivia time.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

H2SO4 posted:

best krew

Hell yeah :hfive:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Thx for the fix OP. The answer to the first question is "Robert Redford".

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

HELLO.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is verifying people are legit goons a pain in the butt? If so, I run the Eurovision voting website for SA and I have a script that validates registered users... I could probably adapt it for you guys if it’s useful?

It’d just be a page where a user can enter their irc nick, their SA name, it’ll provide a string to enter in their profile, and then show someone on your side in an automatically updated page who’s legit.

If it doesn’t eat up your time, then no worries!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is verifying people are legit goons a pain in the butt? If so, I run the Eurovision voting website for SA and I have a script that validates registered users... I could probably adapt it for you guys if it’s useful?

It’d just be a page where a user can enter their irc nick, their SA name, it’ll provide a string to enter in their profile, and then show someone on your side in an automatically updated page who’s legit.

If it doesn’t eat up your time, then no worries!

The process needs to be manual because it's not enough to be registered on the website. Unfortunately we have had people from other teams try to join our channel so we do a little bit more vetting than that.

Highly appreciate your offer of help! (I believe I voted on that website you made last year!) If you are interested in scripting/coding we have ... many .. interesting projects we are actively working on if you want to drop into IRC and ping me.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Hell yeah count me in again!
Going to take the Monday off work so I can watch the ending this time.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

This thing is cool. Might be the first time in 4 years I can't make it up there, but man it's STILL gonna be a blast

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nothing like furiously scanning through a movie at 3am to find a one frame screencap to locate two words on a sign in the background to answer a question, while listening to the station DJ play a catchy song with creepy, inappropriate lyrics.

Also this thing has gotten me hooked on quiz/trivia contests, ever since the end of last year's event I started going to a bar for Geeks Who Drink.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

GET loving HYPE.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

get that smushmouth off the air!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Im going to record video of me walking up and down all the grocery aisles so we don't miss another moscow mule question.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm looking forward to it even though I was mostly a useless spectator last time where I'd try checking answers and by the time I went back into irc it had already been confirmed like 10 times. I guess being in the CET time zone is theoretically useful but I've yet to have my day in the sun. It's still fun to try because you never know when you'll get lucky and stumble on a hard answer.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Hell yes trivia again! BRING ON THE MUSH MOUTHS

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm looking forward to it even though I was mostly a useless spectator last time where I'd try checking answers and by the time I went back into irc it had already been confirmed like 10 times. I guess being in the CET time zone is theoretically useful but I've yet to have my day in the sun. It's still fun to try because you never know when you'll get lucky and stumble on a hard answer.

What time were you on the channel? If you joined around 9am your time you'd be helping around the time the night crew crashes.

We can always use extra verification. We have had answers that everyone was sure was correct, then someone realized at the last minute that it wasn't the right answer. Sometimes we've lost points because we already called in the first response.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

My absolute favorite time of year! Sad I can’t go in person this year, but glad to come out of retirement for one more go.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

McStabby posted:

What time were you on the channel? If you joined around 9am your time you'd be helping around the time the night crew crashes.

We can always use extra verification. We have had answers that everyone was sure was correct, then someone realized at the last minute that it wasn't the right answer. Sometimes we've lost points because we already called in the first response.

Usually I'd pop in at around 6-7am my time and just hang out and try to help off and on for the rest of the day until US evening crew started coming in. It was definitely more quiet when I first got on than when it started getting into the afternoon US time, but even then I still felt superfluous. It didn't stop me from trying at least and when I did verify something I shared it especially if it was from a different source than the already confirmed ones.

I thought about doing the question transcribing but honestly I'm not sure, that's a bit high pressure after just waking up. Plus my WPM is only 100-110ish under ideal conditions so maybe it'd be a "only in case of emergency" type of thing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Incoming t-shirt post!

GOOD MORNING, FRIENDS! Would you like to play trivia? Would you like to rep your team while playing trivia? BOY DO I HAVE A DEAL FOR YOU!

A few things to note:

Unlike previous years where I let you go HOG WILD with your t-shirt color, this year I'm limiting the palette so as to hopefully get the best possible prints. The logo is brown and yellow, as you may have noticed, and these colors just don't look so great when printed on certain backgrounds! Please, PLEASE limit your selections to one of the below examples, but if you are really really insistent on getting something else, I will entertain you and wish you the best of luck.

NOT SHOWN IN THE IMAGE is the standard addition of this year's contest dates and the "Trivia 49" text. It'll be somewhat small, probably printed in yellow, and probably located below the wooden sign our little dude is clasping.

As mentioned, I am NOT spearheading a second run of t-shirts! If you would like to take control of the ordering and shipping of commemorative t-shirts, please reach out to me, and I will do my best to be helpful!

This year, I commissioned a private artist to create our logo. His name is Abraham Ortiz, and he's a young guy based out of Venezuela. Here's his website if you'd like to drop by and check out his poo poo. Here's his Twitter, and here's his Facebook page. Please leave some kind words, if you have the time -- I'd really appreciate it, and I know that he would, too.

T-shirts cost pretty much the same as they did last year. If you haven't ordered before, one t-shirt + US price of shipping ends up being about $15. Two shirts + US price of shipping ends up being about $22. If you order more than four shirts at once, chances are that I'll have to use a shipping method other than my usual, so the shipping price might go up a bit. I do my best to get you the most affordable shipping option, though!

I do ship internationally. We've had no issues thus far and I'm crossing my fingers that this year will be another success.

Orders must be in by March 16th!

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 21, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

With that out of the way...what's trivia without jams?

Trivia 44 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 45 Playlist (thanks, Athanatos!)

Trivia 46 Playlist (thanks, me!)

Trivia 47 Playlist (thanks, TotalNewbie!)

Trivia 48 Playlist (thanks, me!)

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdLh0MHqKw

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
see ya there FUCKERS

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Hnnnnnnnnng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU