Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

notmetalenough posted:

I'm playing a game as Ragnar Lodbrok (earliest start) and I have 4 kingdom crowns at the moment (sweden, norway, denmark and frisia). What happens if I want to become a merchant republic. Do I keep all 4 kingdoms?

If I only keep one, which one should I keep?

I'm working my way up the tribal control laws... my understanding is I have to get to Absolute before I can become a republic?

If you can form the empire of Scandanavia your heirs will keep that, and you will be a sweet empire.

You need absolute tribal authority and not an unreformed pagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I hate you. I hate you so much. Why won't you die already?

This is what happens when you marry too many Karlings. His father, who just inherited Austrasia, died of stress when Werner was 5 years old. Apparently his blood vessel popped when he thought about this fucker inheriting.

He is Inbred AND Dull, which ensures he will never be competent at anything. He studied warfare only to become a Misguided Warrior. Well, I thought, surely he won't be a problem very long. Surely he's going to die soon and his competent brother will take his place, right?

As you can see, this didn't happen. He's almost 50. His vassals hate him with a passion, as he's unlikeable. Every five years the kingdom gets a major rebellion, only kept in check by allies and mercenaries. The king gets sent to every battle possible and survives every single one of them. He got Maimed twice, but apparently his tainted genes turned him into loving Wolverine. He got sick once in his life, and it was a minor food poisoning.

Then he's 46 and starts making GBS threads himself and get abdominal pain. His medic finally confirms it's cancer. Unfortunately, the fucker still refuses to die and, being a craven, won't try a risky therapy. And his Medic, an alcohol addict taken from nearby village and probably paid in beer, somehow keeps succeeding in keeping the sickness at bay. He barely even tries, but apparently King Werner's body is strong enough to just shrug the cancer off thanks to placebo effect. Last time he rubbed his liege's chest with a dead frog, but he could as well feed him ambrosia.

I like to think when Werner finally dies (before outliving his competent son), his relatives are going to cut his head off his body just to be sure. His medic, killed by cirrhosis several years before, is going to be considered a miracle worker, a healer eclipsing Hippocrates himself. Eventually he's going to get canonized, as getting the inbred, chopped up and tumorous King to live so long can only be considered a miracle.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 21, 2018

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
The scourge of the expansion horde has shaken my mastery of the game just a tad. Just... what are viceroyalties and how do they work?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terratina posted:

The scourge of the expansion horde has shaken my mastery of the game just a tad. Just... what are viceroyalties and how do they work?

They're titles that revert to the liege on the death of the holder, but you need to be an emperor to use them. They allow you to prevent annoying people from inheriting high level titles because you get to redistribute them every time the current owner dies.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They're titles that revert to the liege on the death of the holder, but you need to be an emperor to use them. They allow you to prevent annoying people from inheriting high level titles because you get to redistribute them every time the current owner dies.

Thank you very much.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Terratina posted:

Thank you very much.

You have to have high crown authority or maybe even absolute to get that passed though, and of course you have to pack the council with yes men to get them to vote for it. The only state that starts with that as the status quo is the Byzantines.

Took my own advice, started an 867 games as the Byz. Defeated an invasion of Sicily and got a sweet 1,000 crowns in indemnity. Invested that into my retinue and raising the Vangarian guard and then promptly holy wared Crete into submission and annexed it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gantolandon posted:

Crusader Kings 2 in a nutshell.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Gantolandon posted:

btw, you gave him focus that adds +1 to health (and education adds +0.5 too), maybe try the stewardship focus, he might gain stressed trait and die

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 21, 2018

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Also try to get depression. You can kill yourself!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Try seduction focus to get an entire kingdom's worth of cucked husbands trying to kill you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TaurusTorus posted:

Also try to get depression. You can kill yourself!

Crusader Kings II: Try to get depression, you can kill yourself!

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dwesa posted:

btw, you gave him focus that adds +1 to health (and education adds +0.5 too), maybe try the stewardship focus, he might gain stressed trait and die

drat, I completely forgot about this focus. Originally I set it as a desperate attempt to boost his diplomacy.

Odobenidae posted:

Try seduction focus to get an entire kingdom's worth of cucked husbands trying to kill you.

He's inbred and lacks two body parts. He's not a guy husbands should be afraid of.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Charlz Guybon posted:

You have to have high crown authority or maybe even absolute to get that passed though, and of course you have to pack the council with yes men to get them to vote for it. The only state that starts with that as the status quo is the Byzantines.

Took my own advice, started an 867 games as the Byz. Defeated an invasion of Sicily and got a sweet 1,000 crowns in indemnity. Invested that into my retinue and raising the Vangarian guard and then promptly holy wared Crete into submission and annexed it.

You only have to have absolute authority to institute imperial administration for duchy viceroyalties. You can get kingdom level viceroyalties with just late feudal administration.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Funky Valentine posted:

Sometimes your character is so incompetent he can't even do that right :saddowns:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Viceroyalties do have downsides, though, especially when you only have kingdom viceroyalties. Handing them out gives a minor opinion penalty per viceroy title, and even though the title reverts back to you on the holder's death, their heir still gets a strong claim. That can lead to trouble if you're careless about who you give them to.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've never really played a game much past the point of getting a big enough empire to implement viceroyalties, but every time I try to limit the power of vassals by putting them under the dominion of a more friendly duke, it often just ends with the uppity vassal overthrowing the duke and now being in control of a whole dukedom.

I'm no good at playing the interior politics game, I think I should probably execute people more, to hell with tyranny.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never really played a game much past the point of getting a big enough empire to implement viceroyalties, but every time I try to limit the power of vassals by putting them under the dominion of a more friendly duke, it often just ends with the uppity vassal overthrowing the duke and now being in control of a whole dukedom.

I'm no good at playing the interior politics game, I think I should probably execute people more, to hell with tyranny.

It's either that or your viceroy goes crazy revoking titles and making their heir the only viable option to replace them.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I remember a while ago I played a byzantine game that, at some point, had every living viceroy in prison. It occurs to me now this is really the next step in byzantine legislature. Once duchy viceroyalties and total realm peace are passed, the only thing left is the "auto-jail" law, which immediately imprisons anyone with a lower title as soon as they've acquired it. I'm surprised the byzantines didn't come up with this themselves, in their own time.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is me too. Things always spiral out of control in my kingdoms. I usually wait until I am on the brink of death to restore some sanity, provided the heir is competent enough to deal with the inherited tyranny malus...

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Once you're that big I just use my massive retinues and ability to bankroll mercs to just say gently caress it and let the war happen and clean house afterward. As long as you can win them civil wars are great imo.

Like go ahead and revolt, you dickhead. I'll turn your entire house into peasants and give all your poo poo to somebody who's not loving worthless.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I remember a while ago I played a byzantine game that, at some point, had every living viceroy in prison. It occurs to me now this is really the next step in byzantine legislature. Once duchy viceroyalties and total realm peace are passed, the only thing left is the "auto-jail" law, which immediately imprisons anyone with a lower title as soon as they've acquired it. I'm surprised the byzantines didn't come up with this themselves, in their own time.

Well they didn't need to because they had a centralized state. Crusader Kings two is a horrible representation of the internal politics of most of it's map. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but if you try and take it's model as gospel then you'll be very surprised if you start reading real histories

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Aw gently caress. The succession in the great Aztec Empire of Alba has not gone well. After the pope successfully crusaded for Italy (I was busy with two other wars at the time, let them siege a bit too much and get their doomstack together), Assassin Grand Master Emperor Glaschu finally kicked off, but his successor had culture flipped to Nahua, so not only did all my gallowglass buildings go poof, but every single title is now on loving gavelkind. I've got like 350 years left, so I may as well play it out. But it's a huge kick in the crown jewels.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

The CK2 thread has to be the only place where a post that just says "Kill yourself" is actually meant as legitimate advice rather than just mean trolling.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Got a weird bug in the latest (?) version of After the End. Even if my army is bigger than the besieged territory (like twice as big), it keeps saying it can't besiege it until it is larger than the enemy garrison. I can besiege and occupy other provinces, just not the one I am fighting a war for. Doesn't seem to affect the AI though. Any ideas?

Requoting this for a new page. Should I post this on the bug subforum for Pdox or just assume this is specific to the mod? Other mod users say they don't get it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My heir was a lunatic, so I awarded my elder non born in the purple son the despot honor, and now he's dull. <_<

Is there anyway to get rid of that modifier in game once he inherits?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

My heir was a lunatic, so I awarded my elder non born in the purple son the despot honor, and now he's dull. <_<

Horses make fine chancellors dude, should have just rolled with the madman

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Horses make fine chancellors dude, should have just rolled with the madman

I should have waited for him to become an adult in order to avoid this. Before he got the cow face he was looking like a fine heir.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Serves you right for snubbing the one with the best trait in the game :colbert:

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Requoting this for a new page. Should I post this on the bug subforum for Pdox or just assume this is specific to the mod? Other mod users say they don't get it.

I'd say post it on the paradox forums. I don't think enough people here play after the end, sadly

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Charlz Guybon posted:

Maybe get a hobby?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Maybe get a hobby?

I mean he could try to become immortal, I think the intrigue line gives you shrewd.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone here hsve experience withe the Elder Kings SVN?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Glitterhoof volunteered to be my envoy to China.

He returned with a Chinese lover.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

Glitterhoof volunteered to be my envoy to China.

He returned with a Chinese lover.

If only that event also spawned them with a child called Khan

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Glitterhoof shenanigans are the best.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I remember seeing a cat pope. Was this in vanilla, and if so, how do I get more adorable animals to grant a bishopric to? :3:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

I remember seeing a cat pope. Was this in vanilla, and if so, how do I get more adorable animals to grant a bishopric to? :3:

Horses are pretty common (just be a lunatic and you'll see a horse eventually), although getting one that will live long enough to make it to Pope takes a bit of work - the horses spawned by events all have the "horse" trait, which gives them a pretty significant health penalty. The trick people use to get longer-lived horses is that when you land a character, it generates a court for them that's the same culture/religion as they are. So they'll be horse culture and use the horse graphic, but WON'T have the horse trait, because that is only on the pre-defined event characters, not on generic horse-cultured characters.

Cats are also in vanilla - I think they were added in either Reaper's Due or Jade Dragon (I know RD has events that give you "pet cat" modifiers to your character, but I don't think they could be generated as actual characters until JD). I'm not totally sure what spawns them but I'm guessing it's also lunatic related.

There is also a rare event where characters can become a bear. This might need supernatural events enabled.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Horses are pretty common (just be a lunatic and you'll see a horse eventually), although getting one that will live long enough to make it to Pope takes a bit of work - the horses spawned by events all have the "horse" trait, which gives them a pretty significant health penalty. The trick people use to get longer-lived horses is that when you land a character, it generates a court for them that's the same culture/religion as they are. So they'll be horse culture and use the horse graphic, but WON'T have the horse trait, because that is only on the pre-defined event characters, not on generic horse-cultured characters.

Cats are also in vanilla - I think they were added in either Reaper's Due or Jade Dragon (I know RD has events that give you "pet cat" modifiers to your character, but I don't think they could be generated as actual characters until JD). I'm not totally sure what spawns them but I'm guessing it's also lunatic related.

There is also a rare event where characters can become a bear. This might need supernatural events enabled.

So bear Pope of the Bear Dynasty?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does the bear poo poo in the Vatican?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Doing pretty well in my latest Byz 867 game. I actually haven't had to do much holy warring in the East. Just conquered Cilicia, Galilee and half of Antioch. The conquest of Cilicia was enough to topple the rest of the dominoes. My eastern Dukes have since overrun Armenia, Georgia and Alania while also making in roads into Syria with only a minimal amount of assistance from me. I've spent most of my time and resources reestablishing the Byz position in the Balkans and the Mediterranean.

• Locked thread