Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
hey if you are posting about the finer distinctions of gun classification when people are talking about mass shootings where the victims aren’t even all buried yet could you please explain exactly what the gently caress is wrong with you for me because I am having trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'm hypernormalized

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Comrayn posted:

hey if you are posting about the finer distinctions of gun classification when people are talking about mass shootings where the victims aren’t even all buried yet could you please explain exactly what the gently caress is wrong with you for me because I am having trouble

It's just a tactic that is used to dismiss people without ever hearing their argument. It's literally the only subject that the right considers an expert understanding to be a requirement.

If you want to undermine it in good faith, argue the anarcho-syndic believe that every single citizen of this country should be given a high powered rifle and then mock them for advocating for gun control

If you want to undermine it in bad faith, ignore it or say things like "clipazine" or "bullet cozy"

also they're doing it because they're profoundly hosed in the head and desperately need something other than the obvious to be the primary cause of this tragedy that has just unfolded

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

rudatron posted:

i'm hypernormalized

hi, hypernormalized, im dad

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

rudatron posted:

ban everything except bolt action rifles and muzzle loaded muskets

bing bong, so simple, and since it uses the correct gun terminology, there are 0 objections that you they can make

constitution says i got the right to specific guns that i think look cool tho

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

SpaceGoku posted:

lmao yeah

some high schoolers said "please don't shoot us to death, we don't like it" and the chud reaction was to mock them for seeing their friends get killed and accuse them of being soros plants

conservatives are insane morons that are winding themselves up for civil war 2 because they won't be happy until they destroy everyone they see as an enemy even if it means butchering their own children

this is unironically a good thing because they're gonna learn the Tankie Fallacy real fuckin quick if they think unironically advocating for child murder is gonna get them any popular support

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
actually it's called clipophilia

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's about ethics in school shooting journalism

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Business Gorillas posted:

this is unironically a good thing because they're gonna learn the Tankie Fallacy real fuckin quick if they think unironically advocating for child murder is gonna get them any popular support

whats the tankie paradox?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Epic High Five posted:

It's just a tactic that is used to dismiss people without ever hearing their argument. It's literally the only subject that the right considers an expert understanding to be a requirement.

If you want to undermine it in good faith, argue the anarcho-syndic believe that every single citizen of this country should be given a high powered rifle and then mock them for advocating for gun control

If you want to undermine it in bad faith, ignore it or say things like "clipazine" or "bullet cozy"

also they're doing it because they're profoundly hosed in the head and desperately need something other than the obvious to be the primary cause of this tragedy that has just unfolded

Problem is

Bushiz posted:

and I'm saying we did exactly that in the 90s and it accomplished nothing except it made guns ugly for a little bit.

There is legitimate precedent of gun control laws based on ignorance and lack of technical knowledge resulting in accomplishing nothing but getting gun advocates even more pissed off and rightfully distrusting of gun control advocates, while not making anyone any safer.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

whats the tankie paradox?

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/823081796422291456

see: the boston unite the right

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

ban everything except bolt action rifles and muzzle loaded muskets

bing bong, so simple, and since it uses the correct gun terminology, there are 0 objections that you they can make

this is probably a good idea but how do you get the cops and military to agree

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
real talk though: my advice is for anyone left of center in the US, is to just grab a gun and start finding like minded people to train with

cruz was a trump supporting chud dipshit, so his rampage shows the kinds of thing right-wing america is just willing to do now, for fun. and you can bet your local white militiamen are making lists of people to murder in your community, which includes you, if you've ever voiced disapproval of trump or suggested migrants are people.

eventually chuds are just going to go to conventions or hotels, or just any gathering of people they don't like, and start shooting, and it's going to be a regular thing. either you shoot them back or you die. cops won't do anything and the media won't report it as right-wing political terrorism, which this shooting was (and which you never hear about, only platitudes of 'mental health').

don't do any terrorism though, because that never works. but they ran heather heyer over with a car, so don't think they wouldn't go that far.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bushiz posted:

this is probably a good idea but how do you get the cops and military to agree

drone strike the cops op

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

rudatron posted:

real talk though: my advice is for anyone left of center in the US, is to just grab a gun and start finding like minded people to train with

cruz was a trump supporting chud dipshit, so his rampage shows the kinds of thing right-wing america is just willing to do now, for fun. and you can bet your local white militiamen are making lists of people to murder in your community, which includes you, if you've ever voiced disapproval of trump or suggested migrants are people.

eventually chuds are just going to go to conventions or hotels, or just any gathering of people they don't like, and start shooting, and it's going to be a regular thing. either you shoot them back or you die. cops won't do anything and the media won't report it as right-wing political terrorism, which this shooting was (and which you never hear about, only platitudes of 'mental health').

don't do any terrorism though, because that never works. but they ran heather heyer over with a car, so don't think they wouldn't go that far.

It's going to be fun when a Las Vegas style shooting happens with a full sovcit militia instead of a lone idiot.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

rudatron posted:

lol but yeah I can sorta see this happening

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

it will happen at least once before 2020 i reckon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Problem is

There is legitimate precedent of gun control laws based on ignorance and lack of technical knowledge resulting in accomplishing nothing but getting gun advocates even more pissed off and rightfully distrusting of gun control advocates, while not making anyone any safer.

It's because previous laws were built around neolib and centrist rules lawyering that is, by design, very easy to work around. The laws weren't designed with ignorance of the specifications, because like with the NRA and Reagan in California, they were designed by the people who know the best.

How about something as simple as, "all accessories are legal but if your gun can faster than X rounds per second it's illegal" instead of 2700 pages of hemming and hawing about stuff that dumbshit lobbyists who should be executed as traitors told you to include because they had workarounds in the pipe already.

People whose #1 identity is fighting anything recommended by gun control advocates are absolutely worthless to include in anything you hope to ever have any impact at all. It'd be like interviewing me about the best way to tweak late capitalism.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

the democrats are working hard to make sure it doesn't happen by doing their best to lose the next election but if by some perverse whim of whatever trickster god runs this helluniverse they manage to win poo poo will pop off and bad

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

a local young conservative here who was acting as an informant because he was upset by the nazification of some of the local republicans was invited to join a militia for an unnamed group that is "fighting for white people." the guy who invited him is the campaign manager of a GOP candidate in my neck of the words.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

if the gun advocates want anyone to give a poo poo about their opinions they can ditch the NRA and make an alternative that isnt run by death cultists. The fact is that the "reasonable" gun owners have done a poo poo job of separating themselves from the NOT ONCE STEP BACK MORON LABE crowd, and considering they're rapidly approaching being about as popular as the death of a beloved pet means they're going to sink with them.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rudatron posted:

tbh these people are commensurate cowards and the prospect of resistance to their murder fantasies horrifies them. I'm not saying arm teachers and I'm not saying every lefty should go out and get heavily armed (though it's a fun hobby if you want to get into it) but it's been a year since the John Brown Gun Club showed up at a fash rally and the pictures still get passed around some alt-right discords with people hushedly repeating half-learned lessons trying to explain every gun they have away as airsoft.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
People who fetishize guns are probably just gonna flock to 3D printers if you ban everything. You guys are probably gonna have to unfuck this insane paranoid gun culture that the US has, which is a subset of the conspiracy worldview a large part of the right wing subscribes to.

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Feb 21, 2018

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

if the gun advocates want anyone to give a poo poo about their opinions they can ditch the NRA and make an alternative that isnt run by death cultists. The fact is that the "reasonable" gun owners have done a poo poo job of separating themselves from the NOT ONCE STEP BACK MORON LABE crowd, and considering they're rapidly approaching being about as popular as the death of a beloved pet means they're going to sink with them.

it's the same with Christianity and faith generally in the US lol

the entire discourse and all of the money is controlled by frothing lunatics, who write the agenda for the worst shitlords this country has ever produced to loot and gently caress and doom us all, but like I'm supposed to be surprised that the last two generations are massively atheist and feel bad about it?

lmao clean up your own loving house before you call anybody else a sinner you nerds, I'm not about to be lectured by anybody who calls Falwell anything but an idolater piece of poo poo hellspawn and I sure as poo poo ain't giving them money

There's a shitload of new gun owners that don't want anything to do with the NRA though. Queer, minority, leftist, etc. It's a big reason why they shifted to doing BLOOD AND SOIL ads calling for purges after termpo was installed

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
there's limits to what 3d printers can do, and 'make reliable firearms' is just not one of them. they can't produce good enough material for certain critical components.

otoh your average metal shop could probably pump out an ak-47 every so often, because most of it is just stamped metal.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Metal Cat posted:

People who fetishize guns are probably just gonna flock to 3D printers if you ban everything. You guys are probably gonna have to unfuck this insane paranoid gun culture that the US has, which is a subset of the conspiracy worldview a large part of the right wing subscribes to.

While I agree with your sentiment, lmao if you think 3d printed guns are in anyway as dangerous as properly built firearms.

poo poo, those things are just as likely to kill the person firing them

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

There's a shitload of new gun owners that don't want anything to do with the NRA though. Queer, minority, leftist, etc. It's a big reason why they shifted to doing BLOOD AND SOIL ads calling for purges after termpo was installed

Yeah im one of them. The thing i want the most is a gun maker who aint run by chuds.

rudatron posted:

otoh your average metal shop could probably pump out an ak-47 every so often, because most of it is just stamped metal.

like this but as a workers co-op. seize the means of destruction

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

rudatron posted:

there's limits to what 3d printers can do, and 'make reliable firearms' is just not one of them. they can't produce good enough material for certain critical components.

This doesn't even get into the sheer practicality of every CHUD owning a 3d printer and the requisite materials to actually produce gun components.

A large part of the solution is gonna be starving the beast, just heavily regulating the firearm & ammunition industry and it's distribution chain would go a long way to fixing the problem.

Of course you'd need a political force that rejects neoliberalism to get those regulations, the current Democrats aren't capable of it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Metal Cat posted:

i sincerely hope that happens it’ll be fun coming up with nicknames for their suddenly-common hand and facial maimings from exploding zipguns and piperifles

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

Yeah im one of them. The thing i want the most is a gun maker who aint run by chuds.

like this but as a workers co-op. seize the means of destruction

Windham Weaponry is the closest thing you get, sorry.

Dreddout posted:

This doesn't even get into the sheer practicality of every CHUD owning a 3d printer and the requisite materials to actually produce gun components.

A large part of the solution is gonna be starving the beast, just heavily regulating the firearm & ammunition industry and it's distribution chain would go a long way to fixing the problem.

Of course you'd need a political force that rejects neoliberalism to get those regulations, the current Democrats aren't capable of it

The problem is there's already, like, half a billion guns in the country, and suddenly forcing most of them into black markets would decrease public safety for decades before it saw any kind of returns (if it ever did).

And you've still got to figure out a way to write this legislation in a way that it disarms cops, too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh no not black markets for guns that’s so much worse than what goes on at the convention centers and horse arenas twice a month across chudland

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the nra was calling for assassination of political opponents back in like 2008, things can get worse

still doesnt mean you should acquiesce tho

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sorry I missed Bat discussion

How are things in garbage people land

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

that guy has a vested interest in butchery and has a gallery of naked twinks wearing red caps, not to mention he intentionally models Patrick Bateman out of his own photo sets. He's a disingenuous loon

i mean yeah lucien very much follows in the milo mold where you're a contrarian shithead building a fanbase of shitheads.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
in other news there's a CPUSA conference that's gonna be like two blocks from my house this weekend and apparently a bunch of fash are gonna be out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bushiz posted:

in other news there's a CPUSA conference that's gonna be like two blocks from my house this weekend and apparently a bunch of fash are gonna be out.

Consult your local Antifa.

Or really just a bunch of people who are willing to fight.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.

Agean90 posted:

seize the means of destruction

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You shouldn't treat this poo poo holistically, you'll never get anything done.

Bushiz posted:

The problem is there's already, like, half a billion guns in the country, and suddenly forcing most of them into black markets would decrease public safety for decades before it saw any kind of returns (if it ever did)
I'm talking about gun manufacturing, not already existing guns. They're entirely different issues.

Also as Hovercraft said, gunshows are almost entirely unregelated so you might as well ban them and have a black market, it's actually preferable.

quote:

And you've still got to figure out a way to write this legislation in a way that it disarms cops, too.

That's a difference piece of legislation

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Bushiz posted:

drat, the fash are loving with the CIA now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Dreddout posted:

drat, the fash are loving with the CIA now?

they probably picked CPUSA because:

a) it has communist in the name
b) every other group either has way too many people (DSA) or will actually kick the poo poo out of them (IWW)