Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

always be closing posted:

I am building a small box. I see what your saying and I am probably totally approaching it wrong. I should cut the sides of the box out of the full size board and then split the smaller pieces.

E- this is the box I want to copy. First ever wood project, so I'm looking to find out what I need, then how to do it.
https://www.aaroncaincustomboxes.com/deck-vault-1

Looks like he's cut the edges at 45*, probably glued them and uses the splines for corner strength. Not super strong, but not much else you can do with wood that thin. You definitely want to use material cut to thickness when you're trying something that thin. The 45* setting on your saw is going to be the most significant parameter. The rest of it looks pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Koken makes a 1/2" drive stubby. Not sure I'd use it on an axle nut.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I need a recommendation for a good pistol grip grease gun. Any brands to seek out?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lincoln model 1133 is a fine all around grease gun for 99.9% of everyone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

LordOfThePants posted:

I need a recommendation for a good pistol grip grease gun. Any brands to seek out?

I think they're all bad and leak. Buy a bucket for it as well. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The only grease gun I've ever owned that didn't get hurled angrily into a scrap metal bin is my Campbell hausfeld air powered one.

Every handheld I ever had was a gigantic piece of poo poo and mostly just wouldn't work, especially the plunger mechanisms and getting grease to flow again after a new cartridge is installed.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If there are any non-air-powered grease guns worth a poo poo, I would love to know. When my TJ is running again, I need to go hit all 34 (:aaaaa: Curry suspensions have some, err, drawbacks) zerk fittings. Re-priming these bastards even once a year is too loving much.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I use a huge lever style lincoln becasue grease doesn't like moving in the cold and the little pistol grip style is a hand killer.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

EightBit posted:

If there are any non-air-powered grease guns worth a poo poo, I would love to know. When my TJ is running again, I need to go hit all 34 (:aaaaa: Curry suspensions have some, err, drawbacks) zerk fittings. Re-priming these bastards even once a year is too loving much.

DeWalt and Milwaukee have cordless grease guns, they seem to have good reviews.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
We have a John Deere pistol grip that always works and an 18 volt NiCad Lincoln Powerluber that still holds enough of a charge.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

DeWalt and Milwaukee have cordless grease guns, they seem to have good reviews.

Tools for the tool throne!

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Have both the m12 and m18 milwaukee grease guns at work. They both work awesome. the m18 is a lot fancier, with a light, two foot long hose, and adjustable grease amount. also has an optional clear grease tube. Highly recommended.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Hypnolobster posted:

Which one of you nerds recommended the hilariously tiny Wright 3/8 ratchet? I already love this thing.

I know I did at one point, but I found out about it from here, I'm pretty sure. Isn't it great? I mean not as an only ratchet, but as a "fuuuuuck there's no room in here" one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm looking at an M12 rotary tool on Amazon right now, I've got a 50 dollar amazon card from jesus day, a 40 dollar prepaid visa from sending in cereal box tops from cart parts and the tool is 79 bucks. So with tax it'll pretty much eat up everything (free shipping). I still need a battery though.

They seem to range about 50 bucks each. And I'm broke as gently caress. The home despot website is being a dick right now and I can't compare prices. So....... Whats the opinion on getting one of these brand X batteries off amazon? I'd like to have 2 batteries for this thing, and I can get a 2 pack of brand x batteries for the same price as one legit Milwaukee battery.

Thats not a permanent solution, and I don't expect the chinesium batteries to last for years and years, but anyone have experience with them? If I could get say, 2 years out of them, (regular use) that'd be great. In the meanwhile, I'f be getting a few more m12 tools and some legit batteries.

My m18 charger has a port for charging an m12 battery already so I dn't need acharger (very convenient milwaukee...)

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 19, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No comment on the Chinesium batteries - I'm still getting by just fine with the two compact M12 RED packs that came with the first M12 tool I bought. They charge so fast that I don't even see much need for the large capacity versions, since I can just swap batteries between the tool and the charger.

The M12 rotary tool is damned nice, though. Very happy with mine so far.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ordered the legit battery instead. Home deeepoe website stopped being a dick, and the price was a buck or two less, but I think the amazon price was taxes in so it ended up being slightly cheaper.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
AvE did a tear down on some M18 knock-offs, he rated them pretty highly. Enough so that an electrician friend of mine snagged a couple to use at work. He ended up tearing them down and doubling up some of the wiring as it was not handling the current well. No problems after that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm wondering if this is a thing that exists - I'm looking for a way to store bits for a hex driver, as I have quite a few and they're constantly disorganized and stuffed into a piece of crud plastic case that came with a Dewalt set of bits I bought awhile ago. What I'm envision is a folding (think like a book) case which just has large flat surfaces inside, magnetized.

Is this a thing? Is there a better way?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

kastein posted:

The only grease gun I've ever owned that didn't get hurled angrily into a scrap metal bin is my Campbell hausfeld air powered one.

Every handheld I ever had was a gigantic piece of poo poo and mostly just wouldn't work, especially the plunger mechanisms and getting grease to flow again after a new cartridge is installed.

It's the nature of grease: it's designed to a) get on everything and then b) not move. Same reason they all leak: the tolerances on all the parts are so bad because otherwise they would jam up and not work at all, and the grease works its way through all the cracks no matter what you do.

I don't know where you guys are getting all these grease guns that don't work, though. I have two grease guns that I found, one in a Bobcat and one I don't remember where. The shop I'm in now has an auto greaser attached to a small drum, so they sit in the bottom of a filthy shop cart, but the occasions I do need a handheld they have never failed to push grease out the end. I'll check the brands tomorrow.

As for grease not flowing after changing a cartridge: Dump the old cartridge, insert the new cartridge, and screw on the top until it's just barely tight, then back it off a turn or so. Pull the plunger all the way out and push it back in (maybe a couple times), tighten, and it should start working right away. They get air trapped in the top and won't purge just by hand.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question to you guys having issues with grease guns, what are you using for grease? Anything thicker than an NLGI 2 and -40C? Like ^^ said, you really should't be having issues... unless the easiest way for the grease to escape the chamber is not the hose, and if that's the case you've got issues. You're developing not insignificant hydraulic pressure with those things, and if it's not making it to the zerk something is blocking it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krakkles posted:

I'm wondering if this is a thing that exists - I'm looking for a way to store bits for a hex driver, as I have quite a few and they're constantly disorganized and stuffed into a piece of crud plastic case that came with a Dewalt set of bits I bought awhile ago. What I'm envision is a folding (think like a book) case which just has large flat surfaces inside, magnetized.

I just buy another bit+screwdriver set that comes with a half-decent case and use that.
Sometimes I end up swapping out the cheap, poo poo bits when they rust/get mangled (as they appear to be make of cheese) with my good bits.

I am not a fan of magnetic holders as a) I don't like magnetised bits and b) I feel that if you leave them in a car, all the bits will migrate to the bottom due to vibration.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

RE grease gun chat: Yeah, seriously, what the gently caress kind of cheap rear end made in 7th world country grease guns are you guys using?
I've had princess auto grease guns work flawlessly for like 10+ years before finally wearing out. And don't your grease gats come with bleeder valves/screws?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I just never seem to get the drat things to quit queefing until it's about time to change the cartridge.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EKDS5k posted:

As for grease not flowing after changing a cartridge: Dump the old cartridge, insert the new cartridge, and screw on the top until it's just barely tight, then back it off a turn or so. Pull the plunger all the way out and push it back in (maybe a couple times), tighten, and it should start working right away. They get air trapped in the top and won't purge just by hand.

That's actually exactly what I did. No joy. Hell, my first grease gun, the loving piston slid down the shaft instead of pushing on the grease, so I was just stabbing the grease with a steel rod basically. Which was immediately followed by it being hurled into the dumpster.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Question to you guys having issues with grease guns, what are you using for grease?

I am supremely retarded, and fail at loading my grease guns 60% of the time. I’m just using general purpose grease from whatever store I happen to be at, or marine grease. Usually I give up and just fuckin smear a fist-full of grease that I pick up off the floor on whatever needs to be lubed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is there a computer aided design tool to 3D modeling a bookcase?

I'm trying and failing very hard at doing this on paper.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Try out google sketch up. It's not incredibly robust but it's free and can handle a book case.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Autodesk Fusion 360.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used sketchup to design a cabinet for our cat boxes and it worked out great. I'd never used it before and just did the tutorial to learn basics (which I've completely forgotten.)

Behold:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Krakkles posted:

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2190-Heavy-Medium-Tough/dp/B000CNO72W

Which Ive been happy with. I actually manage to keep my bits relatively organized by type.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

monsterzero posted:

I am supremely retarded, and fail at loading my grease guns 60% of the time. I’m just using general purpose grease from whatever store I happen to be at, or marine grease. Usually I give up and just fuckin smear a fist-full of grease that I pick up off the floor on whatever needs to be lubed.

Try not to buy whatever is cheapest and available. Grease compatibility is a real thing. You need to be sure your greases play nice with each other. Best to pick one and stick with it.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I checked, and the ones I have are a Lincoln lever-style, and a pistol style with no name, so nothing really special. They're both covered in a thin layer of grease from where it worked its way out through the cracks, but every grease gun I've ever seen has been the same. If you're going to grease something, then my advice is to just accept that you're going to get grease all over the nipple, the gun, your hands, your clothes, whatever you set the grease gun down on, and if you're really lucky, the part you're actually trying to grease.

slidebite posted:

Try not to buy whatever is cheapest and available. Grease compatibility is a real thing. You need to be sure your greases play nice with each other. Best to pick one and stick with it.

We use Komatsu grease at work. Pricey, but you literally cannot wipe the stuff off of any surface without some kind of solvent.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/AGRICULTURE_GREASE/665056002

I've been buying this for the farm. I hope it's okay and assume it's better than the store brand.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

EKDS5k posted:

We use Komatsu grease at work. Pricey, but you literally cannot wipe the stuff off of any surface without some kind of solvent.
You need to experience grease used in industrial gear couplings, specifically Falk LTG. I've never come across anything that tacky. I swear it must come from an alien race. :tinfoil:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

On the other end of the scale it's funny as gently caress watching the new maintenance guy pack 1200cc of No.00 molywhite into a reduction gearbox then try and install it, open-end sideways onto the robot slightly above his head.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Everyone knows that the optimal grease is the one that somehow fails to even stay on horizontal slides, yet forms an instant bond to clothing, skin, and hair.

Because why settle for having maintenance be a figurative tar baby, when it can be a literal one too...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Speaking of grease: White lithium grease, Guy at work uses it for..... Heavy load applications. Like bearings that take a beating and whatnot.

I say that poo poo is for door hinges and car ashtrays, he insists that its fine for heavy duty kinds of uses.

Whats the deal?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

thebigcow posted:

https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/AGRICULTURE_GREASE/665056002

I've been buying this for the farm. I hope it's okay and assume it's better than the store brand.

Mystic is a good product and what we use on equipment at work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of grease: White lithium grease, Guy at work uses it for..... Heavy load applications. Like bearings that take a beating and whatnot.

I say that poo poo is for door hinges and car ashtrays, he insists that its fine for heavy duty kinds of uses.

Whats the deal?

If the application specified white lithium I'd use it, otherwise no, oil or heavy grease depending on application. Lube for expensive machines is not something to be guessed at. We recently ruined a 5 axis matsuura mill at work because the operator decided he knew better than the manufacturer and changed the lube feed to the X slides from pressurised grease to gravity feed oil. A couple of months of that before anyone found the ways damaged and it's as much to repair now as replace. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

wesleywillis posted:

Whats the deal?

I've used it for guns and light duty stuff (like hinges...), but everything else has been whatever the mfg said to use.