Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You don't have to soak any type of beans. You can just increase the cooking time and they will cook just fine in a pressure cooker. But yeah you want black beans for that dish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MeKeV posted:

...........is this a meal as is or a side dish? :-S

Help, I want to get in on this bean thing.

It can be either. I make a lot of beans, sometimes big pots of soup beans and sometimes a small pot meant for a side dish.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

pootiebigwang posted:

I'm not an expert but apparently there is a difference in the way some dry beans cook compared to others. Black beans were the first I encountered that didn't require a soaking period and could be cooked in the same pot as the rest of the ingredients.

With a pressure cooker you don't generally need to soak at all, some people do as they say it can reduce the chance of blowouts, but you definitely don't have to when pressure cooking. Some beans though generally are thinner skinned, black beans are one I think, so that's why they don't need a soaking time more generally like others do.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making the biryani in that cookbook today. Overall came out well, though it looks a little dull in color. I personally would have used some saffron (e.g. Sazon Goya), and I'll definitely do that next time I make it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone done peppers, like Anaheim, Poblano, etc in the IP? I want to make Chili in the IP but I want to make a Texas style that I use like 10 different types of peppers. I also like most of the milder ones to be big 1-2" chunks. I had a mishap with some Snap Peas in the IP so want to make sure they will withstand the pressure.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Most vegetable matter will be unidentifiable mush after 20 minutes at pressure. That's what you want for a Texas style chili though. Meat and gravy are the only textures in there.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Trastion posted:

Anyone done peppers, like Anaheim, Poblano, etc in the IP? I want to make Chili in the IP but I want to make a Texas style that I use like 10 different types of peppers. I also like most of the milder ones to be big 1-2" chunks. I had a mishap with some Snap Peas in the IP so want to make sure they will withstand the pressure.

Not made it myself, but http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/pressure-cooker-chile-con-carne-texas-red-chili-recipe.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Trastion posted:

I have, but I used the immersion blender on them after they'd cooked, if you want to maintain definition you're better off stewing.

That said, onions, chiles and spices pressure cooked, then blended, then the meat pressure cooked in that makes some drat fine chili.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made some bun bo hue last night from this recipe. Used brisket instead of finger meat and normal wide pho noodles instead of the usual spaghetti like ones because I prefer them but otherwise the same. Absolutely delicious, I could eat it every day.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stringent posted:

That said, onions, chiles and spices pressure cooked, then blended, then the meat pressure cooked in that makes some drat fine chili.

Kenji's chili chicken Verde recipe? :getin:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Johnny Truant posted:

Kenji's chili chicken Verde recipe? :getin:

I hadn't seen that before, I'll have to give it a go. This is a bit different though since you blend the onions/chiles/spices before cooking the meat. Here's one I made with pork spare ribs, the only texture there is the meat, the rest has been blended into soup then reduced.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I prefer the chunks of peppers and onions.

I ended up adding them after and sauteed it for a bit which I wanted to do anyways to reduce the sauce down anyways.

On top is a little Garlic Sauce from the middle eastern deli. It was great.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 20, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I tried Kenji's pressure cooker chili verde a while ago and didn't really like it. Not a lot of spices in the recipe. Isn't it just salt and cumin?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried Kenji's pressure cooker chili verde a while ago and didn't really like it. Not a lot of spices in the recipe. Isn't it just salt and cumin?

Every one of Kenji's recipes are just salt. That is the flavor profile he likes. I think some chef yelled at him one time for not using enough salt so now he uses 10x as much as needed in everything.

I really do not understand why people like the guy as none of his recipes are good at all. They are ok for a base idea as long as you alter them greatly to add flavor and reduce the salt.

diwilli
Jul 16, 2011

Trastion posted:

Every one of Kenji's recipes are just salt. That is the flavor profile he likes. I think some chef yelled at him one time for not using enough salt so now he uses 10x as much as needed in everything.

I really do not understand why people like the guy as none of his recipes are good at all. They are ok for a base idea as long as you alter them greatly to add flavor and reduce the salt.

Some of my very favorite recipes are Kenji's.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

diwilli posted:

Some of my very favorite recipes are Kenji's.

You probably like salty food. I mean, so do I but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Or you alter the recipes to not be salty. Which means they are not good recipes to begin with.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How can you call his recipes salty, when he literally doesn't tell you how much salt to use? He just lists salt as an ingredient, which you should do to taste.

Edit: Yeah, just checked 10 of his recipes, and the only time he gives an amount for salt is for breads, which makes total sense.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 20, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My understanding is that where he really shines is technique. Like inventing the reverse sear. You can put however much salt you want on your steak, but he'll tell you when to salt it and what to do with it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good pho recipes out there that you guys have actually tried?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Yeah there are a couple recipes that are obviously over salted and he has admitted that and misty self corrected. His recipes and techniques are great, I wonder how many of them you’ve tried or if this is Alton Brown backlash part two.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm a big fan of Kenji's recipes and techniques and have never found anything of his to be too salty.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Alton Brown’s recipes are my go to for all dishes? :shrug:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Jacque > Julia > Kenji > Alton. Fight me.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Fieri>

Ranter posted:

Jacque > Julia > Kenji > Alton. Fight me.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

obi_ant posted:

I made heavily-bastardized chicken pho about a week ago. Whole onion, about 3-4 pounds of chicken thighs, and the pack of spices you can find at Asian supermarkets (because I can't be assed to actually gather said herbs and spices by myself :colbert: )

Cut onion in half, oil bottom of Instant Pot, toss in chicken thighs (I had skinless and boneless and next time I'm just going to use skinless but not boneless), toss in onion and bag of spices, barely cover with water, add a bit of salt, cook on high pressure for three minutes and release naturally. Discord onion and bag of spices, then eat with rice noodles.

It's heavily bastardized because I'm sure it's not authentic at all (no searing the onion, I forgot the ginger, there's no fish sauce in it at all) but I'm going to make it again when I get back home. I'm also going to replace the rice noodles with tofu chunks because I can, and I'll actually try and remember the ginger this time.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

large hands posted:

Made some bun bo hue last night from this recipe. Used brisket instead of finger meat and normal wide pho noodles instead of the usual spaghetti like ones because I prefer them but otherwise the same. Absolutely delicious, I could eat it every day.

Bun bo hue is my favorite food. By usual spaghetti like noodles, do you mean thin bun used for grilled meat noodle bowls and such? If so, look for bun specifically for bun bo hue, they are thicker and chewier.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

obi_ant posted:

I don't usually cook pho from recipes so have not tried these specific ones, but Andrea Nguyen's recipes are reliable for Vietnamese food, so I would trust these without trying them myself:

https://www.tastecooking.com/recipes/pressure-cooker-beef-pho/

https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2017/11/instant-pot-chicken-pho-recipe.html

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mich posted:

Bun bo hue is my favorite food. By usual spaghetti like noodles, do you mean thin bun used for grilled meat noodle bowls and such? If so, look for bun specifically for bun bo hue, they are thicker and chewier.

No, not the vermicelli you get in bowls w grilled pork and whatnot, the normal round bun bo hue noodles. I guess spaghetti wasn't a great comparison. I just prefer the banh pho.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Snowmankilla posted:

Alton Brown’s recipes are my go to for all dishes? :shrug:

I'm sorry to tell you this but while they are good starting points, AB's recipes are just that, a starting point. They're just the no-frills basics. You should check this book out. It's seriously my go-to for most recipes now. http://a.co/dQWA9Nx

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Everything I've made from test kitchen has been bland. Some of their cooking times are suspect, I just don't believe you can cook chicken thighs tender in 15 minutes outside a pressure cooker. But you're probably joking and my humorous is broken.

vvvvvv oops, sorry

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 21, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nahh I meant it. I mean there are the occasional lololol recipes that will add some ridiculous step that'll add like 5 hours to your cooking time for very little payoff but for the most part they're pretty great. Especially for baking.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Croatoan posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this but while they are good starting points, AB's recipes are just that, a starting point. They're just the no-frills basics. You should check this book out. It's seriously my go-to for most recipes now. http://a.co/dQWA9Nx

I could never bring myself to buy this because it's from a TV show and my brain says "bad"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Are recipe books really better than googling a dish and spending 20 minutes reading 3 - 10 recipes and picking bits and pieces you like from each? I end up making a dish 2 - 5 times always tweaking before I'm 'satisfied' with it, even if its from a cookbook.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wormil posted:

Everything I've made from test kitchen has been bland.

That's because Chris Kimball is a child who's afraid of anything with a stronger flavor profile than what you'd get at Perkins. I haven't looked at any of their recipes since he hosed off and started his Milk Street bullshit, though.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Timby posted:

That's because Chris Kimball is a child who's afraid of anything with a stronger flavor profile than what you'd get at Perkins. I haven't looked at any of their recipes since he hosed off and started his Milk Street bullshit, though.

IIRC one of the first pieces at Milk Street was about how you shouldn't sear meat for stew or soup because the Maillard reaction is overrated, so, yeah, he's still bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He started incorporating stuff like fish sauce and curry spices so he's improving.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Kenji's Mushroom Risotto is probably the epitome of pressure cooker zero effort:maximum flavour, for me.

I've never made it exactly as per the recipe (or probably any recipe ever), so cant comment on his exact saltiness level.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Mu Zeta posted:

He started incorporating stuff like fish sauce and curry spices so he's improving.

He’s never going to get better until he eats one of those insanity peppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ranter posted:

Are recipe books really better than googling a dish and spending 20 minutes reading 3 - 10 recipes and picking bits and pieces you like from each? I end up making a dish 2 - 5 times always tweaking before I'm 'satisfied' with it, even if its from a cookbook.
Generally the best web site recipes are :filez: of books.